As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WotR] The War on Rings!

124»

• SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    what

SJ on
  • SvenskaSvenska Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I will basically do whatever it takes to buy a hobbit army.

Someone tell me this is an awesomely great idea.

Svenska on
    Since your name means "swedish" in swedish, I just assumed you were, ya know, swedish.

eNozN1RVNTYwUDVRNVUzUjOsMVQzRCON1UyApAmYbQZRYwaRBlOqZSYA7ZUOyQ==
    edited April 2010
    it is an awesomely great idea

SJ on
    edited April 2010
    Oh man, Games Workshop just got most of my monies.

Svenska on
    Since your name means "swedish" in swedish, I just assumed you were, ya know, swedish.

• AsherAsher Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So, while this may have been bumped to the front page by a spammer, it's remarkably well timed. A bunch of my friends have been getting into LOTR at the moment, so I kinda feel like joining them. Of course, The last thing I want is to have to buy MORE models, so I'm thinking of working with what I've got. So, with the following army ne any fun?

Balrog
    Some character I have to take
    A troll
    As many goblins as I can find/proxy

Asher on
    I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The Balrog is amazing.

Trolls are also awesome.

Billions of goblins is sublime. Dunno that much about WotR, but in the lotr SBG goblins were fantastically tough when supported with the Goblin King(Durburz) and the Goblin Shaman. Throwing in a set of Drums made it even more crazy-fun.

And trolls are just super-badasses.

Rainfall on
    edited April 2010
    Just flipping through the WOTR rule book now, I think I'd go for:

Durburz
    Balrog
    2x Trolls
    3ish formations of Goblins with Captains/shamans and Drums.

Of course, considering I currently have the Balrog, 1 Troll and about 4 Companies of Goblins, that goals a fair way off. Of course, LOTR stuff generally goes pretty cheap on the resale market . . . And I have a friend who was goign to give me his goblins. . . .

Oh no. Here I go again. :(

Asher on
    edited April 2010
    The thing I absolutely fucking hate about this game

Is that they mix HW/Shield and Archer guys together in boxes, which is fucking stupid

And all the awesome formations I want to use in WotR are metal guys that come in 2 to a blister for like 15 bucks, and fuck that

SJ on
  • RiqaRiqa Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Those leaked plastic mounted Knights of Dol Amroth and Morgul Knights look really nice and hopefully will be alot cheaper then their metal counterpart...

Riqa on
    3DS: 3411-1583-6442
    Steam: Noai
    Warframe: Fairwoods
    edited April 2010
    I want some plastic Castellans of Dol Guldur and Black Guard of Barad Dur. But noooo

SJ on
    edited April 2010
    Whelp, I've started buying up all the cheap goblins I can find. I hate you all.

Asher on
    edited April 2010
    Goblins own.

SJ on
    edited April 2010
    20 points per company with Bows or shields?

Yes please.

Asher on
    edited April 2010
    Can goblins get 2 handed weapons? I don't remember.

SJ on
    edited April 2010
    While you can't give Moria Goblins 2 handers, you can, for 20 points a company, get Goblin Prowlers, who are Goblins, with +1 Fight, 2 Handed weapons and Poisoned attacks.

Asher on
    edited April 2010
    Oh I know, Prowlers are the shit. Though technically with the 2H weapons they end up having the same fight... but who cares?

SJ on
    edited April 2010
    Ok, I just bought the King of the Dead and a box of ghost warriors.

Don't have the rulebook...can I make a pure awesome ghost army without having to use living dudes?

(Didn't go hobbits cuz they seemed really expensive)

Svenska on

edited May 2010
    Alright, dredging this back up to page one because I've been playing this a bit recently and it is incredibly fun.

As much as it paint me to use this phrase: IT OWNS.

It has basically killed any desire I had to play fantasy in the immediate future as WOTR provides the same experience in a much better balanced, smoother package.

The Priority system is a welcome breath of fresh air, the movement system is smooth and streamlined and works very well after all the fudging and irritation of WHFB. Really, streamlined is the perfect description for the system.

The rest of the game seems equally good, having the charge phase separate to movement adds an interesting layer to the game. It also makes the various Heroic action so much more important. Heroes and the actions the can take really drive the game. The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference. A well timed Heroic Move, Charge or fight can really turn the battle in true Heroic or villainous style.

I also like the streamlined combat a lot. One roll means combats are quick and decisive. Bucket loads of miniatures leave the table very quickly. In one fight, 45 models were removed in one go (24 Goblins, 12 Men and 9 elves), and this was at a fairly modest 1000 points.

Overall, I'm really impressed with the system. It's a lot better than I thought it would be, even if it does seem to have some internal balance issues.

Asher on
  • DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I really wish i wasn't broke right now, though I have heard great things about this game.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

edited May 2010
    Asher wrote: »
    Alright, dredging this back up to page one because I've been playing this a bit recently and it is incredibly fun.

As much as it paint me to use this phrase: IT OWNS.

It has basically killed any desire I had to play fantasy in the immediate future as WOTR provides the same experience in a much better balanced, smoother package.

The Priority system is a welcome breath of fresh air, the movement system is smooth and streamlined and works very well after all the fudging and irritation of WHFB. Really, streamlined is the perfect description for the system.

The rest of the game seems equally good, having the charge phase separate to movement adds an interesting layer to the game. It also makes the various Heroic action so much more important. Heroes and the actions the can take really drive the game. The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference. A well timed Heroic Move, Charge or fight can really turn the battle in true Heroic or villainous style.

I also like the streamlined combat a lot. One roll means combats are quick and decisive. Bucket loads of miniatures leave the table very quickly. In one fight, 45 models were removed in one go (24 Goblins, 12 Men and 9 elves), and this was at a fairly modest 1000 points.

Overall, I'm really impressed with the system. It's a lot better than I thought it would be, even if it does seem to have some internal balance issues.

This's the reason why I'm kind of looking forward to 8th ed Fantasy: a number of the movement and combat changes remind me very much of rules in WotR, and all in good ways.

SJ on
    edited May 2010
    I was hoping someone was going to say that.

I truly want 8th to be amazing...otherwise I see a lot more LotR in my future.

Svenska on

edited May 2010
    Svenska wrote: »
    I was hoping someone was going to say that.

I truly want 8th to be amazing...otherwise I see a lot more LotR in my future.

Yep, that's why I'm waiting to see if I'm gonna build up the rest of my Mordor force or not. Plus the Battlehosts book is fuckawesome.

SJ on
    edited May 2010
    I'm still looking at how I'm going to paint my army of the dead guys.
    I wish their command had more options though.

Svenska on