As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Alpha Protocol: Old Thread

• MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    jefe414 wrote: »
    Also, mirrored highway patrolman glasses.
    I can't be held responsible for what I might do if I'm not allowed to compliment my rocking beard with mirrored pig shades.

Monger on
  • BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Spoit wrote: »
    52520_orig.jpg

Boring. So generic. Blergh, I'm so sick and tired of game designers going for the lazy "Sunglasses, beard, and russian hat" character OVER AND OVER AGAIN.

I lol'ed a few days ago, but I lol'ed today again too.

BlackDove on
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    probably posted but oh god yes
    Obsidian's Alpha Protocol has finally gone gold, having suffered countless delays. Featuring very reasonable DRM, the spy action-RPG hits North American stores June 1st
    very excite

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    All my protocols are alphaing.

DarkWarrior on
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    hahhaah

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    In addition to the gone gold news Games Radar has a new feature covering the gadgets in the game
    http://www.gamesradar.com/f/alpha-protocol-our-10-favourite-spy-gadgets/a-20100430154432315030

Also a fun quote from Avellone about the game's completion.
    Alpha. Protocol. Gone... Gold. Thank you, spirits of game development, my blood sacrifices have been answered.

Tertiee on
  • truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Tertiee wrote: »
    In addition to the gone gold news Games Radar has a new feature covering the gadgets in the game
    http://www.gamesradar.com/f/alpha-protocol-our-10-favourite-spy-gadgets/a-20100430154432315030

Also a fun quote from Avellone about the game's completion.
    Alpha. Protocol. Gone... Gold. Thank you, spirits of game development, my blood sacrifices have been answered.

I look forward to the radio mimic device, but dang... over 50% of their "gadgets" are grenades/explosives. Remote mines are very welcome in any game though.

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So, you can OD on painkillers... neat.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Do we know of any differences between the PS3 and 360 versions? Have they even demoed both? Usually I don't even bother with the PS3 versions of multiplatform titles, but I'm soon replacing my 15+ year old receiver with one that supports uncompressed audio. I'm tempted to get the PS3 version if it has that. This game and Red Dead Redemption would be some fun titles to test out my new television subwoofer and receiver.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    edited May 2010
    Dashui wrote: »
    Do we know of any differences between the PS3 and 360 versions? Have they even demoed both?
    You can briefly see the playstation buttons on the video under the following spoiler. The video editing company Obsidian uses apparently likes to work with the 360 more which is why you see that build more often. I wouldn't expect 360/PS3 comparisons until the reviews start coming in.
    Skip to about 28 seconds in when talking to Grigorihttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSQUbistwwA#t=28s
    Also new skill video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibAmlED777M

Tertiee on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Really, is there anyone here not planning on going martial arts after that video?

Martial arts and either pistol or assault rifle. Maybe shotgun considering that if I'm spotted and get into combat, it'll probably be a close range thing.

subedii on
    edited May 2010
    Been planning on going martial arts and stealth for like a year now.

Ironically enough, this will be this year's Splinter Cell, Conviction having been some other game entirely.

BlackDove on
  • kalkal Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Can it just be June 1st already?

kal on
    camo_sig.png
  • Wet BanditWet Bandit Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    subedii wrote: »
    Really, is there anyone here not planning on going martial arts after that video?

Me. I think the animations are bad and the fighting style is pretty silly. That's one of the things that kinda bugs me about the game. It's presented as a pretty serious, realistic game, but then there's this dude going invisible of knocking people out with flying knees. It just seems a bit inconsistent.

I'll be going pistols, stealth, and technical aptitude.

Wet Bandit on
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So has somebody already mentioned this? Because I'm getting something of a Deus Ex vibe off of this game: RPG skills, open-ended choices to approaching scenarios, branching story path, etc. Yeah, it's pretty obviously different from DE, but mainly with what looks like better combat and more skill choices.

Am I the only one looking at this game this way?

Also, I'm very glad the game only just popped up on my radar about a month ago. Watching it get delayed so much would've been pretty tough, especially since Conviction turned out to be a pretty non-Splinter Cell Splinter Cell game.

EDIT: I just noticed that there's an award for getting through multiple missions with never being detected and minimal body count. Pumped + 1.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Nope, not the only one. I've been looking at this as the only game that could even come remotely close to satisfying my Deus Ex itch.

l337CrappyJack on
  • truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Wet Bandit wrote: »

Me. I think the animations are bad and the fighting style is pretty silly. That's one of the things that kinda bugs me about the game. It's presented as a pretty serious, realistic game, but then there's this dude going invisible of knocking people out with flying knees. It just seems a bit inconsistent.

I'll be going pistols, stealth, and technical aptitude.

since they stated they aren't going with silly Bond style gadgets and most of their gadgets are grenades, I may have to go for some kind of explosives expert..... wish I could rename my character to Michael Bay and BAM SPLOSIONS! BAM BAM BAM BOOM BANG BOOM BAY BABY!

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    That video they had on Joystiq had Thorton doing the same arm grab/moon kick to the face combo.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    edited May 2010
    Here's a nice video from two weeks ago.

Two weeks and a YEAR ago.

Should've watched it before I linked it.

Never mind.

It's still a cool video, so I won't edit it out.

BlackDove on
    edited May 2010
    So has somebody already mentioned this? Because I'm getting something of a Deus Ex vibe off of this game: RPG skills, open-ended choices to approaching scenarios, branching story path, etc. Yeah, it's pretty obviously different from DE, but mainly with what looks like better combat and more skill choices.

A big difference is that Alpha Protocol seems to lack some of the open worldness that Deus Ex had. In Alpha Protocol you just select a mission from inside your safe house and get teleported to the start of that level, though your starting point can differ depending on who is your handler as BlackDove's video shows.

Tertiee on
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Maybe it is a real name, but Thorton is never not going to sound weird to me.

PolloDiablo on
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Maybe it is a real name, but Thorton is never not going to sound weird to me.

I gathered from some video I saw off XBL that they've justified it by saying that it's not actual a real name, but your assigned alias.

SammyF on
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Maybe his name will be whatever we name him, and they'll just refer to him as Agent Thorton in-game.

Uh, yeah, that'll work...

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    edited May 2010
    Maybe his name will be whatever we name him, and they'll just refer to him as Agent Thorton in-game.

Uh, yeah, that'll work...

It didn't ruin Mass Effect for me that I named my character Sam but everyone insisted on calling him Shepherd. The alternative seems to be playing in a world inhabited by dozens of characters who can't remember your name but are too embarrassed to ask a second time. "Hey, nice job catching that terrorist arms dealer...uh...chief."

SammyF on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    Ive heard people call him Mike in videos.

DarkWarrior on
  • PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Am I the only one looking at this game this way?

The branching is supposed to be different too. In that the game actually changes and didn't really in Deus Ex beyond an extra bit of dialogue here or there and really stopped being very reactive fairly early in the game. They've brought this up in interviews and things and have stated that they produced about 12 hours of cinematics, but because of the reactivity, players will only see about 4 hours of them in a single playthrough.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
    edited May 2010
    Ive heard people call him Mike in videos.

Yeah, you don't get to choose your first name either. But really, I'd take that over weird stand-ins like in Dragon age

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    BlackDove wrote: »

Ironically enough, this will be this year's Splinter Cell, Conviction having been some other game entirely.

Conviction having been Arkham Asylum.

But with guns.

Which I was totally ok with.

Khavall on
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So yeah, I basically forgot about this, but now I am super excited. However: Australia first what kind of crazy upside down world is this?

makes sense to me they would get it first.... they live in the future don't they.

I'm just letting you know that tomorrow is pretty awesome guys. Wait till you get there.

Despite knowing not a huge amount about this game I've got this ordered.

They had me at Spy RPG.

Kelor on
    edited May 2010
    Khavall wrote: »
    BlackDove wrote: »

Conviction having been Arkham Asylum.

But with guns.

Which I was totally ok with.

I guess I saw similarities between the two while playing the demo, but after going through the single-player title I'm legitimately perplexed by the comparison. Possibly because I loved both titles, but if I had to pick which game had the better stealth elements, it would be Batman, while if I had to pick the game with the better action and fighting mechanics...well, it would still be Batman. Conviction is, I think, striving for something completely different: when I play it, I feel like someone got some Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 in my Splinter Cell, much the same way I felt that someone got some Splinter Cell in my Rainbow Six during the oil refinery mission in Vegas 2. It's a Reece's Peanut Butter Cup made with smooth, creamy covert operational goodness, and it utilizes a very dark chocolate.

Plus, Conviction has cooperative play, which really is the best thing about the game. People who played the single player before finishing the cooperative campaign can't even begin to understand how much they should hate Kobin (though I suppose I had a particularly harsh response to him since my coop partner was my brother).

I'm looking forward to Alpha Protocol for a single-player stealth experience, but I suspect that at the end of the day, I'm going to feel more like I'm playing something like Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines than anything else.

SammyF on
  • jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

I'm not. At least not with my first playthrough.

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    3] Let us imagine that I am in a good position at Microsoft and Epic, I give you the head of the next Gears of War development with totally freedom. What would you with that and why ?

I'd probably turn it into a fantasy 3rd person RPG, and give the main character a colorful outfit, pointy ears, a hat, and... I don't know... a boomerang, sword, shield, and some bombs.

4] Let us imagine that I am in a good position at Nintendo (yes, many people love me), I give you the head of the next Zelda development with totally freedom. What would you do with that and why ?

I'd have Link's world invaded by creatures that live below the earth, give Link battle armor, a chainsaw assault rifle, the ability to call down blasts from a Hammer of Dawn death cannon in orbit, and the ability to maximize his use of cover in order to wipe out encroaching hordes of mole-like humanoids from holes that erupt from the ground.

I'm just glad I'll probably never meet Avellone in person, because I'd totally go gay for him if he said those pretty things to me.

EDIT:
    8] Tell us about one or several of your projects which you would have loved to release but you could not for various reasons. There appears that each creator has at least a cursed project of this type in his bundle, so do it, please frustrate us with this game we will never be able to play… Moreover, with the time, what do you think about this project(s) which stay on the paperboard and why do they stay like it ?

I wanted to do a Planescape Torment sequel called Lost Souls where it took the lives of Deionarra, Ravel, Dak'kon and others from the original and told their tangential stories in an RPG format before and during the events of Torment.

I also wanted to do one other game set in the Planescape universe that wasn't tied to Torment itself, called Planescape: Tesseract. I actually turned a sample of the premise into a 2-3 hour pen-and-paper game session that played at GDC one year with a lot of press folks (and Ray and Greg from BioWare), giving each of the folks a pre-made player character and a time limit to accomplish their goals. I really liked the character designs, and I'd love to develop those characters, but most of them only work in the context of a Planscape-style universe.

QUICK, SOMEONE GIVE HIM 100 MILLION DOLLARS! :o:o

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • ParadisoParadiso Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    EDIT:
    I also wanted to do one other game set in the Planescape universe that wasn't tied to Torment itself, called Planescape: Tesseract. I actually turned a sample of the premise into a 2-3 hour pen-and-paper game session that played at GDC one year with a lot of press folks (and Ray and Greg from BioWare), giving each of the folks a pre-made player character and a time limit to accomplish their goals. I really liked the character designs, and I'd love to develop those characters, but most of them only work in the context of a Planscape-style universe.

QUICK, SOMEONE GIVE HIM 100 MILLION DOLLARS! :o:o

Holy hell. Yes.

Paradiso on
  • Clutch414Clutch414 Dodge Swinger.... ...WHENEVER IT FEELS RIGHT!!!Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    How involved is the hand-to-hand combat going to be? I was following AP pretty closely last year, but it fell off my radar until recently. Not that I want brawler or beat 'em up mechanics by any stretch, but I was thinking I wanted my version of Thorton to be more towards the stealthy side with pistols and hand-to-hand being the focus. I remember it being talked about before I lost track of the development of AP. Does anyone know if that would be possible?

Also, I don't think it looks too bad from the videos I've seen recently. Sure, it's not breaking any new ground, but the graphics look decent IMHO.

Clutch414 on
  • ParadisoParadiso Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Clutch414 wrote: »
    How involved is the hand-to-hand combat going to be? I was following AP pretty closely last year, but it fell off my radar until recently. Not that I want brawler or beat 'em up mechanics by any stretch, but I was thinking I wanted my version of Thorton to be more towards the stealthy side with pistols and hand-to-hand being the focus. I remember it being talked about before I lost track of the development of AP. Does anyone know if that would be possible?

This post would like a word with you, sir.

Paradiso on
  • Clutch414Clutch414 Dodge Swinger.... ...WHENEVER IT FEELS RIGHT!!!Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Paradiso wrote: »
    Clutch414 wrote: »

This post would like a word with you, sir.

Whoops! I didn't see that in my skimming over this thread. My apologies. And thank you, kind sir, for directing me to this post.

Clutch414 on
  • DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Fuuuuuuuuuuck, this is looking better and better.

Now can I beat Red Dead Redemption in 2 weeks?? :)

DrunkMc on
    edited May 2010