As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Small town girl visiting new york.

Caramel GenocideCaramel Genocide Registered User regular
edited May 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
My little sister (she's 21) is headed to New York for a week to do some photoshoots (these people have been investigated, they're legit). She's from a small town, and hasn't been anywhere like New York before. She's traveling with another family member who has similarly never been away from home. Is there any advice I should give them about what to avoid, and what they absolutely need to go see?

Caramel Genocide on

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    My little sister (she's 21) is headed to New York for a week to do some photoshoots (these people have been investigated, they're legit). She's from a small town, and hasn't been anywhere like New York before. She's traveling with another family member who has similarly never been away from home. Is there any advice I should give them about what to avoid, and what they absolutely need to go see?
    Don't buy anything from anyone on the street, don't take fliers from hawkers. DO buy a week pass for the subway, don't take taxis if you can avoid it because they're retarded expensive. Anything from the south tip of Manhattan to the north edge of Central park, between 3rd avenue and 10th avenue generally falls into the "tourist" area.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    eatmosushieatmosushi __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    avoid exploding manholes, apparently?

eatmosushi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Spun uncontrollably skyward... Driven brutally into the ground
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    Don't look rich, don't carry all your money/cheques/cards/whatever on them at once, only carry a small bit of money so if anything happens you can just give it up, probably avoid jewellry and such. Not saying NYC is bad but two young, girls? If they look like easy marks Im sure someone will go for it.

Preferably keep money in a less obvious place or a zippable pocket. Have emergency numbers for bank cards and family on hand off and on a mobile if she has one.

If they meet anyone who tells them of the glory of Allah, I recommend walking away. But its their choice.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Any museums they can hit of the big ones they won't regret visiting (MoMa, Natural History, etc). Catch a Yankees or Mets game if either is in town. Head to Times Square because the first time you're there it's a pretty cool experience (and go to the bigass Toys R' Us to feel like a kid again and/or Nintendo World). If she's staying at a hotel ask the concierge for any help regarding reservations or directions places. Visit the Bronx Zoo if you have enough time.

And as for safety, just be alert and aware of your surroundings. If an area makes you uncomfortable then leave. Stick to high-traffic areas at night since she's not familiar with the city. It's her first time in the city, she should relax, not try to rush in too much stuff and I'd stick to the beaten path unless she has a local friend who will show her around.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Any museums they can hit of the big ones they won't regret visiting (MoMa, Natural History, etc). Catch a Yankees or Mets game if either is in town. Head to Times Square because the first time you're there it's a pretty cool experience (and go to the bigass Toys R' Us to feel like a kid again and/or Nintendo World). If she's staying at a hotel ask the concierge for any help regarding reservations or directions places. Visit the Bronx Zoo if you have enough time.

And as for safety, just be alert and aware of your surroundings. If an area makes you uncomfortable then leave. Stick to high-traffic areas at night since she's not familiar with the city. It's her first time in the city, she should relax, not try to rush in too much stuff and I'd stick to the beaten path unless she has a local friend who will show her around.
    yeah this...I would also suggest Central Park

I really would take what darkwarrior said with a grain of salt....seems like mostly fear mongering to me...if they're not going outside of manhattan (harlem, the marcy projects) then they're really not in the danger that he seems to believe they're in.....keep purse under the arm, money out of back pockets, pay attention to your surroundings, and you're gonna be pretty safe.....

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    HerkimerHerkimer Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Catch a Yankees or Mets game if either is in town.

If she's interested in baseball, I'd actually recommend a Brooklyn Cyclones game over one of the big league teams. Tickets are much cheaper, the atmosphere is great, and it's a chance to check out Coney Island as well.

edit: and I agree with Beast!, this isn't the NYC of the 70s or 80s anymore. It's no more dangerous than any other big city, and significantly less dangerous than many.

Herkimer on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    BEAST! wrote: »
    yeah this...I would also suggest Central Park

I really would take what darkwarrior said with a grain of salt....seems like mostly fear mongering to me...if they're not going outside of manhattan (harlem, the marcy projects) then they're really not in the danger that he seems to believe they're in.....keep purse under the arm, money out of back pockets, pay attention to your surroundings, and you're gonna be pretty safe.....

When you're far away from home carrying tourist money (which is usually a lot more cash than usual) getting mugged or even just losing your wallet will fuck you. His advice would be just as valid if they were going to Tokyo.

admanb on
  • Options
    lunasealunasea Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    lol what? Do banks not exist here in New York? I don't understand why you have to carry a bunch of cash with you. If you want to check out the MoMA go on Friday and it's free, there's also discounts if you bring your student ID with you. They might want to check out the Southside Sea Port and I'm assuming shes into fashion, photoshoot and what not, she should walk down Mercer Street in Soho.

lunasea on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Better to be safe than sorry.

And get a safety deposit box if the hotel offers it, dont want any maids with sticky fingers.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Some people are irrationally scared of the big city. Just don't be dumb (3AM drunk staggering through Central Park) and you'll be fine.

There's literally no reason to carry shittons of cash in NYC. You can even use your debit card on the subway and in cabs.

Im also echoing Southstreet Seaport and museums. Water Taxi beach is pretty fun on the brooklyn side this time of year. You can grab the water taxi at the seaport.

St. Patrick's Cathedral is also quite gangster.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Have them carry a subway map with them. People in NYC are very helpful, and there's police pretty much everywhere.

I find times square underwhelming, small parts of it are cool though. See a show/play (since she's from a small town). Don't bother with baseball games unless you're a fan. I took a boat around manhattan that's a good way to spend a few relaxing hours one day.

Really I'd say the appeal of a city like NYC other than the museums and unique sites (Times Square, Statue of Liberty, etc.) is being able to find a lot of things about everything. So she should figure out an interest that she has that isn't easily fulfilled in her small town and explore the depth NYC probably offers in that area.

Cauld on
  • Options
    corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    If it's anything like London, look confident and make sure someone can't just pickpocket you without you noticing.

It's only a city. By definition loads of people live there and aren't continually mugged/killed whilst going about their everyday business.

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    Make sure she doesn't do anything she could imagine natives bitching about. One of the most egregious is showing up at high class restaurants in overalls or just looking like crap. Apperantly, you know it's tourist season when the fanciest places to eat are filled with people dressed for McDonald's.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    lunasea wrote: »
    lol what? Do banks not exist here in New York? I don't understand why you have to carry a bunch of cash with you. If you want to check out the MoMA go on Friday and it's free, there's also discounts if you bring your student ID with you. They might want to check out the Southside Sea Port and I'm assuming shes into fashion, photoshoot and what not, she should walk down Mercer Street in Soho.

I hope everyone realizes you can get into MoMA for a penny. Like, not on a special day, not on specific times, or any other obtuse requirements. Just say "I'd like to get in for a donation" at the ticket booth, pay a penny, and go in.

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Some people are irrationally scared of the big city. Just don't be dumb (3AM drunk staggering through Central Park) and you'll be fine.

There's literally no reason to carry shittons of cash in NYC. You can even use your debit card on the subway and in cabs.

Im also echoing Southstreet Seaport and museums. Water Taxi beach is pretty fun on the brooklyn side this time of year. You can grab the water taxi at the seaport.

St. Patrick's Cathedral is also quite gangster.

She SHOULD carry cash, as a lot of eateries, shops and the like are cash-only.

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited May 2010
    MoMA is good, but as a museum I think the Met is more interesting. MoMA has too many bland exhibits and blank space. As for tips on going around NYC, I'd suggest spending a little time examining a subway map before you go down. You don't have to know it by heart, but if you have a rough idea of where each line goes it makes things easier. In all honestly, though, Manhattan is pretty easy to get around until you get down below 14th where the concept of a grid erodes in some places.

I also wouldn't go overboard about bein worried about being mugged. I don't think I've ever actually felt at risk in the places I visited, certainly not like I do in some places in Albany. Just let them be excited and have a good time.

EDIT - Another thing I will definitely suggest is a quick walk on the High Line.

A duck! on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Restaurants pretty much all take cards though. If you want to try the smaller vendors and eateries, a couple of tens oughta cover it.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    There're also ATMs that dispense 10s, but those tend to be near the...sketchier areas.

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Tell her to avoid creeps like me.

Also, money in an inside pocket, like always.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    lunasealunasea Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

I hope everyone realizes you can get into MoMA for a penny. Like, not on a special day, not on specific times, or any other obtuse requirements. Just say "I'd like to get in for a donation" at the ticket booth, pay a penny, and go in.

Ya I know, but then I feel like a douche mcgrubber. You have to pay a separate fee to get into the Tim Burton exhibit though except for on Fridays. I'm not sure if it's still going on, it was fucking amazing.

lunasea on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Scalfin wrote: »
    Make sure she doesn't do anything she could imagine natives bitching about. One of the most egregious is showing up at high class restaurants in overalls or just looking like crap. Apperantly, you know it's tourist season when the fanciest places to eat are filled with people dressed for McDonald's.
    i'm pretty sure what pisses natives off the most is standing on the fucking sidewalk gawking at shit....move to the damn side of the sidewalk so people don't have to navigate around you....also when you ARE moving, walk at a pace that would not allow for grandmas to blow by you...

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Don't stop, turn around, or look in the direction of someone saying "Hey" "Psst" or anything else of the sort. They might just be hitting on you, but they might want money or maybe they're just being super creepy. Either way you don't want to be involved with them, so keep moving.

Also I find the best solution to people asking for money is to say you have no cash and to keep moving, and fast.

Edit: Just remembered!
    There's a quaint little place on 26th and 12th called the Frying Pan. It's basically an out of commission fire boat that you are free to explore. It's pretty interesting, though not sure if it's up your alley. There's also a restaurant there, but it's pricey and the food is very very fried.
    There's sometimes live music there, and you don't have to get food to sit and chill out there.

minirhyder on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

Natural History and the Met you can get in if you can suffer the silent 'YOUCHEAPFUCK' stare from the clerk, but I'm pretty sure the MoMA is not 'suggested donation'.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I need to emphasise that Im not giving these warnings because I believe NYC to be a danger zone. I went on my first trip to America a few years ago to San Francisco and we had an amazing time. One day the bus driver left his route to drop us off where we needed to be to make sure we got there ok. Thats a fucking amazing trip. AND he didn't charge us.

But we were two well built guys and in a place like NYC especially the busy areas, you have to imagine there are people there specifically to look for easy marks. Nothing may ever happen but its better to be safe and have SOME but not all your money on you in a non-obvious place and no important jewellry, mobile phone whatever. Should be kept preferably in a zippable/buttonable pocket and never display how much money you actually have on you.

And the obvious, never take a shortcut down an alley.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I went to San Francisco once and was scared all the time of the dozens of deranged bums that seemed to be everywhere near the convention centre.

Manhattan does not feel at all unsafe to me. There are always lots of people around.

CelestialBadger on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

I love the MoMA and would totally encourage them to visit, but going on Free Fridays is a goddamned disaster - if you don't get in line early you may not get in, and once you do it is so crowded it's almost impossible to see the exhibits effectively.

And I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the Hayden Planetarium and the AMNH! One of my favorite places to visit in NYC

Usagi on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Usagi wrote: »

I love the MoMA and would totally encourage them to visit, but going on Free Fridays is a goddamned disaster - if you don't get in line early you may not get in, and once you do it is so crowded it's almost impossible to see the exhibits effectively.

And I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the Hayden Planetarium and the AMNH! One of my favorite places to visit in NYC
    i thought i mentioned it (but it appears i did not), it's usually the first thing i mention because it's great PLUS i lived 1 block from it for 3 years up until a few months ago

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Homeless people seems to be a way of life in San Fran.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I've been to New York a grand total of once back in December 2007. I was only there for a few days. But it was awesome. I'm from a small town myself and New York was insanely cool to me. Seeing it on film or in pictures really doesn't do it justice.

1. Go to Times Square at night. I don't care how many times you've watched the ball drop on New Year's. Looking up at all the lights and seeing all the flashing crap is pretty amazing in person.

2. Go to Cafe Mozart's. I forget exactly where it is, but they have great desserts and a cool gimmick: They have a person there playing piano at night (maybe during the day, too...I don't know). If you bring in sheet music, they will play it. Doesn't matter what. They even had a dude randomly pop in dressed like Mozart and he played flute along with the piano player. Awesome atmosphere.

3. Go to the top of the Empire State Building. Stand very still on a windy day. Feel the fucking building move.

4. Go to FAO Shwarz. I don't care how old you are.

5. Get a Subway map. Protect it with your life. You will depend on it for any significant travel around the city, especially as a first timer.

6. Don't be afraid to ask directions. Regardless of what you think about "The Big City", New York was full of helpful people when I needed directions on my trip.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    Almost forgot: comedy clubs.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Tycho and Khoo are here in NYC right now, and Tycho at least has been tweeting about places and things he has been doing while here. Something about his wife eating waffles at 3 in the morning.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited May 2010
    DO YOU LIKE COMEDY?!?!?!?!?

prepare your ears for hearing this a million times in times square...also prepare some responses to the question...

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    DO YOU LIKE COMEDY?!?!?!?!?

prepare your ears for hearing this a million times in times square...also prepare some responses to the question...

Not really. I don't respond, I shake my head and keep on walking.
    But speaking of which, whenever someone on the street tries to stop you, seemingly looking for directions, keep moving! Always keep moving. Chances are they aren't lost at all and they want to sell you something, like discounts on hair salons and massages. I mean if that's your thing, go ahead and listen to them, but it takes forever. Basically they talk really fast at you until you pay them to leave you alone.

minirhyder on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    eh...the do you like comedy guys are usually pretty fun to mess with because they've got a sense of humor and aren't really trying to sell you anything....it's fun mostly to try to respond with something they've never heard, and usually they'll joke back with you about stuff.....

and i've never had someone that i thought was gonna ask me for directions that ended up trying to sell me something...........how bad are you at reading people that this happens?

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    eh...the do you like comedy guys are usually pretty fun to mess with because they've got a sense of humor and aren't really trying to sell you anything....it's fun mostly to try to respond with something they've never heard, and usually they'll joke back with you about stuff.....

and i've never had someone that i thought was gonna ask me for directions that ended up trying to sell me something...........how bad are you at reading people that this happens?

I...don't know?
    I'm mean I'm walking down the street and someone approaches me, so I figure they want to ask me something, and instead I get a 20 minute lecture about how awesome this discount he wants to sell me is.

minirhyder on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Tycho and Khoo are here in NYC right now, and Tycho at least has been tweeting about places and things he has been doing while here. Something about his wife eating waffles at 3 in the morning.

They have Waffle Houses in New York now?

I second going to see the Cyclones. It's a really nice park, and you can walk on the Coney Island boardwalk and/or ride the rides before/after.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I haven't visited the Big Apple yet but wherever I go I always try to get up in a tower or tall building. In NY I would visit the Chrysler building for it's architecture and on the same time get some perspective on the city.

BlindZenDriver on
    Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • Options
    Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited May 2010
    If you love ping pong like some people do, go check out Spin!

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    OMG. I've never heard of Spin! and it's only a few blocks away from the lounge i've been where I've been getting my pong fix for years. I'm definitely going to check that out.

This place is pretty good too if you like billiards with your pong.
    www.slate-ny.com

Deebaser on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Interesting...

I might have to try that out. Thanks Khoo.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg