As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Modern Warfare 2: Fuel Spill

• eekseeks Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    My mic clearly wronged a gypsy or something. It was broken this weekend, worked on Tuesday, then didn't work yesterday. I can't figure out which part is not working, since my fix for Tuesday was to switch controllers, but then last night it emitted something horrible (or so I'm told). I have had these since the start of the year:

http://www.amazon.com/TRITTON-Digital-Surround-Precision-Headset/dp/B002ZS6Y64/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1273151154&sr=8-1

eeks on
    Eeks aka Erik K
  • 0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The MG4 is the most underrated weapon in the game, but the M240 is legitimately bad.

Sorry about last night, Tridus/Volatile. Wasn't in the groove for Search just yet.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • DrDreidelDrDreidel Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    eeks wrote: »
    My mic clearly wronged a gypsy or something. It was broken this weekend, worked on Tuesday, then didn't work yesterday. I can't figure out which part is not working, since my fix for Tuesday was to switch controllers, but then last night it emitted something horrible (or so I'm told). I have had these since the start of the year:

http://www.amazon.com/TRITTON-Digital-Surround-Precision-Headset/dp/B002ZS6Y64/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1273151154&sr=8-1

I've heard people talk about using headsets to hear footsteps, but I'm using this crappy thing and never ever hear footsteps. Do I have to change a setting or is my headset just crap?

DrDreidel on
  • InsanityInsanity Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Might be crap, or you you might just need to jack the volume up.

That said, a good pair of headphones is a worthwhile purchase, regardless of how much it improves your gaming, I picked up a pair of Sennheisers and now all my music sounds awesome.

Insanity on
    gBpkw.jpg
  • SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Koss PortaPros here and I hear everything. They also have the added benefit of not being ambient noise-cancelling, i.e. I can hear myself speaking into a mic. I hate wearing the big padded type of headphones and communicating since it's like trying to talk with earplugs in.

Or after serving in the artillery (ho ho war joke)

Senshi on
  • eekseeks Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    You don't need a headset to hear footsteps. If you use whatever your TV sound setup, you should hear them. Headsets, specifically ones with surround sound and an enclosure which blocks out outside noise, help pick up noises in games and the direction they are coming from. For me, the biggest boon is blocking noise like my gf listening to music or the air conditioner, stuff like that. I don't think the headset you listed does anything but do chat though, correct me if I'm wrong.

eeks on
    Eeks aka Erik K
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Are you thinking what I'm thinking, Brutle?

Also, [STRIKE]curse[/STRIKE] thank you for tidying up and taking over the OP while I was away, Willeth.

I was thinking it was bed time but I wanted my blue dot before I went to sleep. That is probably not what you were thinking.

Burtletoy on
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The MG4 is the most underrated weapon in the game, but the M240 is legitimately bad.

Sorry about last night, Tridus/Volatile. Wasn't in the groove for Search just yet.
    The best/worst part about that was hearing that happen. You were talking, and all the sudden I heard someone's Barret fiddycow, and your voice cut off. I was like "wellll, since we're about 15s into this match, Im gonna bet Scat's done."

iTunesIsEvil on
  • T0MBERENGERT0MBERENGER Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So....what ever happened to the stats info on the IW website? I went to the Reach:Beta forum and remembered the wonderful system Bungie has. Who would have thought the the best selling game of all time would end up being unsupported 6 months after release. I feel so......violated.

T0MBERENGER on
    edited May 2010
    So....what ever happened to the stats info on the IW website? I went to the Reach:Beta forum and remembered the wonderful system Bungie has. Who would have thought the the best selling game of all time would end up being unsupported 6 months after release. I feel so......violated.

IW never had online stat tracking.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

Burtletoy on
  • T0MBERENGERT0MBERENGER Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Burtletoy wrote: »

Seriously, I only have two bubbles left. They have been "working" on a stats site and you can even join the VIP or whatever to access it when it does come out*. I would provide evidence, but I refuse to scour twitter feeds.

*assuming the person(s) working on it gets paid and stays at IW

--Edit--
    I know they haven't had one, but I think every AAA title should have one.

T0MBERENGER on
    edited May 2010

Seriously, I only have two bubbles left. They have been "working" on a stats site and you can even join the VIP or whatever to access it when it does come out*. I would provide evidence, but I refuse to scour twitter feeds.

*assuming the person(s) working on it gets paid and stays at IW

--Edit--
    I know they haven't had one, but I think every AAA title should have one.
    In a MTV interview just before Modern Warfare 2's launch, Robert Bowling of Infinity Ward regretfully admitted that a robust stat tracking system does not exist. However, he comments that "It's something that we've looked at for later in the future."

That was all I could find, nothing about any VIP thing. Treyarch did have online stat tracking at callofduty.com or something, but that is Treyarch and good enough reason for IW not to do it.

Burtletoy on
  • slurpeekillaslurpeekilla Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    gotta agree on the online stat tracking, every other blockbuster shooter has managed to do it, at least as far as the XBox is concerned. although the stats page in-game in MW2 is more detailed than what you got in say Halo 3 or Gears 2. and the person(s) in charge of constructing such a site are probably employed by Respawn Entertainment at this point.

re: the MG4, it is pretty much the ACR in LMG form. moderate to low damage, but zero recoil. a nice change-of-pace machinegun for when you get bored with the RPD or HBAR but don't want to deal with the shitty ones.

slurpeekilla on
    edited May 2010
    Senshi wrote: »
    Koss PortaPros here and I hear everything. They also have the added benefit of not being ambient noise-cancelling, i.e. I can hear myself speaking into a mic. I hate wearing the big padded type of headphones and communicating since it's like trying to talk with earplugs in.

I have decent headphones, but the port on my controller is smaller than standard mini-jack. Am I being really thick?

DrDreidel on
  • TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Musicool wrote: »
    BoredGamer wrote: »
    Oh wow, with SoH M1014 I just slaughtered a team in Crash over and over again. I kept changing my position in the blue room and they just kept coming.

So in short: I <3 the M10.

The M1014 is a glorious gun. My friend swears by it, so i gave it a try on my speedy stealth set up last night. We went into a match on Bailout, and i fucking destroyed 28 to 9. One of the best games i've ever had. And it was all down to the little shotgun who could.

In other news, i'm at level 70. Is it worth going prestige, just once, to get the extras?

That depends on how much you want another custom class slot versus how much time you want to spend without your favourite doodads. If you only want to prestige once, then the value is in that sixth slot.

Prestiging also opens up a bunch of new challenges. So if you're a bar-filling addict, that's also a pretty strong draw to prestiging atleast once.

TheCanMan on
  • ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I just had one of the most hilarious games of my life.

Favela, TDM. 5 of the enemies were witching, the 6th was using akimbo MP5K's.

After getting commando knifed once I proceed to use my SPAS for the entire match. Nobody could touch me. Witcher tries to drop from above? Skeet-shot SPAS'd. Witcher tries to follow me into a building? SPAS'd. Witcher running in the alleyway below me? Mid-air SPAS'd. I ended the match 35-3.

In the post-game lobby they were all raging. "Use something other than a shotgun nub!" etc. To which I reply, "Well, I used a counter to your tactics. You could've adapted and tried something other than running straight at a guy with a shotgun. But no, you kept banging your heads on a wall of buckshot." More rage.

Then it loads up Underpass. They try the exact same thing.

Arrath on
  • SanguinarySanguinary Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    DrDreidel wrote: »
    Senshi wrote: »

I have decent headphones, but the port on my controller is smaller than standard mini-jack. Am I being really thick?

The controller port is a cellphone mic/phone jack. Find a converter or something that already fits.

Sanguinary on
    "Und... under control? You're grabbing a fucking bazooka, you dumbass"

"I don't even bother to use my brain any more! There's nothing left in it"
  • MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    That was all I could find, nothing about any VIP thing. Treyarch did have online stat tracking at callofduty.com or something, but that is Treyarch and good enough reason for IW not to do it.

Did? They still do, and it's quite nice.

Mechanical on
    edited May 2010
    Mechanical wrote: »

Did? They still do, and it's quite nice.

Sorry, I kinda forgot the game existed when MW2 came out, and I assumed that Treyarch did as well.

:mrgreen:

Anyways, yeah, online stat tracking is normally pretty nice, and would be a nice feature for MW2. Unfortunately IW hates everything Treyarch and didn't incorperate it.

Burtletoy on
    edited May 2010
    Which is pretty stupid if you ask me. If someone has a good idea, build on it. But anyways, it won't happen.

Mechanical on
    edited May 2010
    Well, I mean, it kinda makes sense. After all they did put out a 'press release' after W@W came out, in which they [paraphrase] said "I can't believe those guys over at Treyarch just ripped off everything we did in our last game" which you can't really follow up by saying "but were totally going to rip off their online stat tracking for our next game"

Burtletoy on
    edited May 2010
    Who cares, honestly? It's the same series. I'm not playing Call of Duty and expecting it to suddenly play like RSV or something.

Mechanical on
  • belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    1) I am totally up for zombies. I bought the map pack and Der Riese is amazing. Yeah, I spent 50 bucks on the game (25 for the game, 2000msp for the combined map packs) but it's worth it. Tridus, if we're on tonight, lets kill some zombehs.

2) People are getting confused when talking about headsets here. The microsoft communication headsets usually just have voice communication, they don't pump out game volume.

People who "sound whore" are using headphones instead of listening through their TV. I use these. Pro tip: skip wireless. It eats through batteries and it's not like you're going anywhere. I play on my computer monitor that has an HDMI input, but if you have a DVI input in your monitor, you can buy an HDMI to DVI cable for like 8 bucks.

also one more pro tip. If you're using HDMI for a conection, most of the fancy headsets won't work because they usually connect to your RCA or Optical ports. One option is to pay 100 bucks for the HDMI "converter" which places the ports within reach of the HDMI cable. Or you can hack off the plastic of the component cable connector and plug both the HDMI cord and the Component cord in at the same time, like I did.

It was a bitch to get off, though.

Get a set of stereo headphones and you'll never use any 3rd perk but Ninja Pro again. You don't need 5.1, stereo works just fine for the 360 and it's directional sounds.

belligerent on
    edited May 2010
    So zombie killing today? I can deal.

Mechanical on
  • 0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    1) I am totally up for zombies. I bought the map pack and Der Riese is amazing. Yeah, I spent 50 bucks on the game (25 for the game, 2000msp for the combined map packs) but it's worth it. Tridus, if we're on tonight, lets kill some zombehs.

2) People are getting confused when talking about headsets here. The microsoft communication headsets usually just have voice communication, they don't pump out game volume.

People who "sound whore" are using headphones instead of listening through their TV. I use these. Pro tip: skip wireless. It eats through batteries and it's not like you're going anywhere. I play on my computer monitor that has an HDMI input, but if you have a DVI input in your monitor, you can buy an HDMI to DVI cable for like 8 bucks.

also one more pro tip. If you're using HDMI for a conection, most of the fancy headsets won't work because they usually connect to your RCA or Optical ports. One option is to pay 100 bucks for the HDMI "converter" which places the ports within reach of the HDMI cable. Or you can hack off the plastic of the component cable connector and plug both the HDMI cord and the Component cord in at the same time, like I did.

It was a bitch to get off, though.

Get a set of stereo headphones and you'll never use any 3rd perk but Ninja Pro again. You don't need 5.1, stereo works just fine for the 360 and it's directional sounds.

I use this expensive sonnuvabitch:
    astro_a40_audio_system.jpg

The headset itself is stereo, but when you add the MixAmp it becomes 5.1 surround. If I turn the volume to half or above, I can clearly hear any footsteps, even Ninja'd. If I'm playing by myself or are the last alive, I will turn the voice down, the game up, and soundwhore like a motherfucker.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Tridus1xTridus1x Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yea I just got done playing a few rounds in the new zombie packs, I gotta say they are pretty awesome. I like the jungle hut zombie mission the most and the one with the demon dogs(and the teleporter thingie). I also got done playing a few matches of MP and wow I gotta say it's pretty fun. I thought I wouldn't like the old weapons deal but the game is still pretty fast paced. The maps are real nice it doesnt seem so CQC like MW2 and it gives you time to just try to flank enemies.

Last thing though...DOGS OF WAR oh man I got these today and good lord the points just kept coming. I love how you gotta listen to enemy dogs when they start barking though, I usually just sit in a corner and hope that I can handle the zerg of doggies. Also it's pretty awesome being a nazi, am I a bad person for this? :P

Tridus1x on
  • ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hell I just the same $10 USB Headset I use for Vent, and the situational awareness it grants is great.

Arrath on
  • hotlunchhotlunch regular
    edited May 2010
    Just got L86 mastery, my first mastery so far! Not sure if I wanna keep using the L86, get more camo n kills, or try out the AUG which seems pretty good as an Ar-Lmg hybrid.

hotlunch on
    edited May 2010
    So you're saying I can blame my shitty K/D on the fact that I don't use headphones, and ignore the fact that I have terrible aim. Got it.

Seriously though, thanks for the info guys. I just moved so I'm a bit house poor right now and can't drop 50-80 bucks on headphones just for gaming. I think I'll just use my current headphones and buy a $2 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter on monoprice.

DrDreidel on
    edited May 2010
    So you're saying I can blame my shitty K/D on the fact that I don't use headphones, and ignore the fact that I have terrible aim. Got it.

Seriously though, thanks for the info guys. I just moved so I'm a bit house poor right now and can't drop 50-80 bucks on headphones just for gaming. I think I'll just use my current headphones and buy a $2 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter on monoprice.

I'll say it again, since appearently you missed it, the headphone jack on the xbox controller does NOT output the game sound, just what other people say on their headsets. If you TV has a 2.5mm headphone jack (wtf? no chance in hell it does) than that would be a good purchase, otherwise you just need the cheapest piece of shit headphone/mic to plug into the controller.

Burtletoy on
    edited May 2010
    3 bursts.

I dump three bursts into a guy's chest-hip area from 10 feet away. None hit. He kills me.

I am host.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Is there a reason why the grenades from the grenade launcher attachment sometimes just don't detonate? I don't like to abuse the grenade launcher, but its nice to have in certain situations. And I like it when the damn thing actually works when I need it to.

Nothing is more frustrating than getting ganked because you shot a dud. Seriously though. What can I do to prevent shooting non-exploding grenades?

Lucascraft on
    edited May 2010
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Is there a reason why the grenades from the grenade launcher attachment sometimes just don't detonate? I don't like to abuse the grenade launcher, but its nice to have in certain situations. And I like it when the damn thing actually works when I need it to.

Nothing is more frustrating than getting ganked because you shot a dud. Seriously though. What can I do to prevent shooting non-exploding grenades?

The 40mm grenades have a minimum arming distance of about 30 feet before they will explode. If you can impact them directly with the grenade within that distance, it will kill them instantly, but will not explode.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    3 bursts.

I dump three bursts into a guy's chest-hip area from 10 feet away. None hit. He kills me.

I am host.
    This is what you get for calling me a pussy nazi! :wink:

[ed] And if youre reading this, Tridus, I'll be there in a few. 1.4GB download is a-hurtin'.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    hotlunch wrote: »
    Just got L86 mastery, my first mastery so far! Not sure if I wanna keep using the L86, get more camo n kills, or try out the AUG which seems pretty good as an Ar-Lmg hybrid.

Do eeet! The aug/MG4 are the highest accuracy lmgs out of the group. They fire noticeably slower than the l86, but a lot easier to control. The aug shines in long range fire-fights especially with the ACOG, and the MG4 has almost no recoil...(someone mentioned that it is essentially the ACR of the lmg group) you'll enjoy them both, give em a spin. See how they do!

Thegreatcow on
    edited May 2010
    Arrath wrote: »
    Hell I just the same $10 USB Headset I use for Vent, and the situational awareness it grants is great.

Wait, USB headsets work for the 360? News to me. Maybe I can stop using this damned jury-rigged setup.

Also, zombie folks, if you need a fourth add me up.

Mechanical on
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    All my xboxs are belong to e74.

joshgotro on
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    eeks wrote: »

I've heard people talk about using headsets to hear footsteps, but I'm using this crappy thing and never ever hear footsteps. Do I have to change a setting or is my headset just crap?

Yeah, when people talk about headsets they mean stuff like this:

Turtle Beach X11

These combine your sound and chat (whereas your headset is just for chat). By having nice huge over-ear headphones, it's easier to pick out individual sounds and softer sounds (like footsteps and reloads) than over most speakers (and definitely over TV speakers).

I use the Astro A40 now. If you so much as reload across the map, I will hear you. Then I will find you. Then I will come kill you.
    Just kidding. It's pretty pimp, though.

A proper gaming headset (a decent wired Turtle Beach can be had for as little as $50 or so) can allow you to both communicate AND hear a lot of what you're normally missing. Otherwise, if you don't talk much, you can just go with a decent set of headphones.

mcdermott on
  • MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm thinking about grabbing WaW as well, if only because it mixes things I enjoy, such as the WW2 setting and COD4's style gameplay - and zombies.

I'll be on in a bit to see if others are around for MW2.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • hotlunchhotlunch regular
    edited May 2010
    hotlunch wrote: »

Do eeet! The aug/MG4 are the highest accuracy lmgs out of the group. They fire noticeably slower than the l86, but a lot easier to control. The aug shines in long range fire-fights especially with the ACOG, and the MG4 has almost no recoil...(someone mentioned that it is essentially the ACR of the lmg group) you'll enjoy them both, give em a spin. See how they do!

Haha I just look at the MG4 and am turned off by how old and janky it looks, but ill check it out because I really like the fat magazines on all the lmgs besides the AUG. But the range of the AUG intrigues me, i love plinking at someone real far away with an lmg. Sooo much damage with so little drop off

hotlunch on
This discussion has been closed.