As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Star Wars Galaxies (Zombies and Galactic Civil War finally added in after six years)

2»

• Options
    troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    are you still only allowed one character per server?

troublebrewing on
  • Options
    DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    are you still only allowed one character per server?

Two per server these days, with those folks who unlocked the force sensitive slot before the NGE able to have three per galaxy.

While that might sound a bit limiting, you can also change an existing character's profession by paying a Profession Counselor, similar to how you might pay a class trainer for a talent respec in other games. So if you don't like how your class handles in the endgame or whatnot, you can just switch to a different profession.

Dizzen on
  • Options
    UncleChetUncleChet N00b Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Man, I'd forgotten how fun this game can be. My baby Ithorian Sith is 14 and is about to start his force training quests. I still can't handle getting 3+ mobs at a time, but I'm trying. The cooldowns on abilities is new, and mobs who poison your action pool or DoT you with no way to heal that stink.

I'm finding that almost all kill missions put the mobs at +1 to +2 over my lvl. Is that normal?

UncleChet on
    I'm sometimes grumpy and random, feel free to overlook the strange man in the corner.
  • Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Pretty much, quests tend to be hard enough to make you pay attention. Unless you get ent buffed and have access to a buffbot.

On my server we don't have ent-bots. But we do have Med bots (three in Eisley, one in Theed, one of C-net), Officer Bots (3-4 dropping tacts and stims at the Endor Smuggler Outpost) and even the occasional Smuggler bot checking people bounties for tips. Once of the well known Medbots even has a forum signature that shows all the Starwasry and Iconic Med-droids, Farm-droids, officer-droids, etc from the movies and exclaims "Bots are Iconic Star Wars, support AFK gameplay!"

Decomposey on
    Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    MoSiAcMoSiAc Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I resubbed last night and picked up the 'pack' so now I have all the expansions instead of just JTL. It's actually pretty fun starting over from scratch. I have my old character but I'm not too interested in sifting through all her crap right now.

I'm trying to figure out leveling a bit faster right now the Imp terminals at around level 8 only give me a base and like 2 mob's for a quest. Are there better at CL quests I should be doing? Though I do like all the Imperial points I'm building up.

MoSiAc on
    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    MoSiAc wrote: »
    I resubbed last night and picked up the 'pack' so now I have all the expansions instead of just JTL. It's actually pretty fun starting over from scratch. I have my old character but I'm not too interested in sifting through all her crap right now.

I'm trying to figure out leveling a bit faster right now the Imp terminals at around level 8 only give me a base and like 2 mob's for a quest. Are there better at CL quests I should be doing? Though I do like all the Imperial points I'm building up.

As a rule of thumb, do the daily terminal quests, then seek out the legacy quest trainer for extended leveling.

Legacy quests will take you to fifty (And much higher, if you do terminal missions all the way until then.), at which point you can head to the wookie homeworld, which, given it's sheer size should entertain you for a very long time across several characters, and then to Mustafaar, which is a similarily huge quest planet, but in the vein of "classic" planets design-wise.

There's also a fair number of hidden higher leveled quest hubs you can find too. If you keep your eyes open you can find hidden quests, like the Clone Wars relics (Which gives you a full set of Clone armor.) quests too, starting around 30 or so.

If you're itching for some easy to access content, you can do the missions that unlock the Quarantine Zone, which is where the zombie plague is, as early as level five. You just need to be careful while on Lok.

The zombies themselves start out around level 5/10, and get increasingly more powerful the closer you get to the epicenter of the infection. Just be prepared to fight hordes of enemies. Unlike most games, and most NPC's in SWG, the zombies will swarm you by the dozens if you're not careful. Thankfully, individually they're pretty weak provided you don't let them snare you and drag you down (If you're a ranged class.).

Also, when doing Imperial terminal missions, go to active duty first. That way you get points toward's ranking up to the next PVP rank by killing NPC's and completing Imperial missions.

Archonex on
  • Options
    DigitoDigito Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So if I played SWG way back in the day, Pre-CU/shortly post-CU and never picked up the Wookieland or Mustafar expansion packs, and I rejoin now would I get them for free or would I still have to buy them? Seeing as they're apparently as essential as it gets now, and I've been considering rejoining for a month or two for the hell of it.

And if I did have to buy them, how much would that cost?

Digito on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I bought them which looks like the only way. You get em for 20 bucks and they come with amadala's ship (instant travel to anywhere it seems) grevious's bike, obi wan's lizard from ep3, a mustafar bunker and something else that I can't remember. I'm glad I have all the content now.

I'm actually having a lot of fun with the way combat works now. Somehow they were able to save my old character from wanderhome (dead server) and are moving her for free to the server I'm on currently. They even packed up all my stuff i had placed down so it looks like I'll have some old school stuff I might be able to sell for some money.

This whole adding quests thing is really nice. I'm enjoying the stories and zipping around. Looks like some people are botting their pets to level them up in zome areas but I've run into a roleplay group that is all dark jedi imperials so I'm running around with them on my new character.

It may just be the server I'm on but it seems like the community in game anyway has become really close knit and even though there are two sides people just have fun attacking each other. I'm sure the forums are probably all trash talk and e-peen anger though.

MoSiAc on
    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Is shootin mans viable in this game or is it all about whacking someone inna face KOTOR-style?

GungHo on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    You can totally shoot mans. I see a lot of people do so. I miss hitting people with my TK.

There's like Commando class, and scoundrel they are all about their guns though.

MoSiAc on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Smuggler, not scoundrel. And while smugglers have the option to specialize in either pistols or melee, almost all of us take pistols. Hokey religeons and achient weapons blah blah blaster.

Decomposey on
    Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    It should totally be scoundrel. That's a way better name for a class.

It's not like you can't be a good scoundrel.

MoSiAc on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Is it still $15/mo? I'm considering taking it up just because I'm in a SW mood and I don't feel like waiting a year for KOTOR.

GungHo on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    GungHo:
    2 week free trail., no payment needed to start. Then 14.99/month if you want to continue. Upgrading trail to full gets you a bunch of in game swag too.

Trail lvl cap is 25/90.

UncleChet on
    I'm sometimes grumpy and random, feel free to overlook the strange man in the corner.
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    GungHo wrote: »
    Is it still $15/mo? I'm considering taking it up just because I'm in a SW mood and I don't feel like waiting a year for KOTOR.

I know this feeling. Missing my SWG days, although so much has changed that returning would probably be depressing.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Depends on why you're returning I guess. I do miss some stuff, but I really like all the new content. I saw a guy riding around on a rancor last night that was pretty interesting. Saw some Wampa pets also pretty cool.

Having quests is way more interesting than what I used to do which was basically make a big group on a random planet pick two missions in the same direction with full dancer medic buffs and just grind mobs for money.

MoSiAc on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I'm with Mosaic. I used to get med/dancer/food buffs, go out w/my TK nuckles and coposit armor and nest grind. I'd get missions for rancors and just grind through them till I was max combat level and had lots of loot and money. Coming back and playing the trail, and getting to do quests and level up as a baby jedi, it was pretty cool. I will be coming back, with my lvl 90 character and i'll convert to medic or something to make the money I need to buy the mats that I need to make my uber jedi.

UncleChet on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I'm interested to do these sorta dungeon things they seem to have now. When I played we had madolorian thing and that was it.

MoSiAc on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    When I played, you had to have the alternate languages tought to you by a speaker of that language via dialog options. And wookies couldn't learn anything but made the best entertainers.

UncleChet on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Some of the dungeons are cool, some of them are Stary Warsy, and some are jsut stuff you do for loot. Like what's called 'TK' or Tusken King, is where you and your group have to defend the city of Mos Espa from a tuskan invasion. The map of the dungeon is the actual map of Mos Espa, and you have to clear out the cantina, the med center, the clone lab, the starport and several other buildings, then you have to fight off waves that are attacking certain points.. it's very fun. Or 'ISD' which is an instance that takes place inside a star destroyer, you run through the halls of the ship blasting, and at one point you run through the bay where they store the AT-ATs.

Other though, Like AM (nightsister instace) or IG (IG-88 droid factory) are simple one room places where you just fight a few mobs and collect loot.

Then of course there's Hoth. After you do it a few times you get used to it, but until you do, when you hear the actual Empire Strikes Back sound footage of 'The first transport is away!' or 'Distance to power generators?' as your snowspeeder heads towards the AT-ATs or you storm the base with your Imperial cohorts, it does a pretty good job of making you feel like you're IN star wars.

Decomposey on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I want to do all of that. I take it I need to be max level to enjoy that content?

There needs to be stuff for each bracket of classes to do, is there such content?

MoSiAc on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    MoSiAc wrote: »
    I want to do all of that. I take it I need to be max level to enjoy that content?

There needs to be stuff for each bracket of classes to do, is there such content?

Have to be at least level 85 to enter the instances, yes.

Class specific, Bounty Hunters hunt people, Jedi have a few quests for their master cloaks (on of the requirments is a collection that will run you 200-400 million to buy the items needed), and Smugglers have the pizza delivery system that we despise with a passion and do as little as possible.

Decomposey on
  • Options
    GnutsonGnutson Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Decomposey wrote: »
    Or 'ISD' which is an instance that takes place inside a star destroyer, you run through the halls of the ship blasting, and at one point you run through the bay where they store the AT-ATs.

The pvp and LSD (it's the Lost Star Destroyer, not imperial :D) are the two things I miss the most in SWG for sure.

Flying people up, fighting my way in in my gunship or YT-1300 felt as freakin' Star Warsy as can be.

Now quit talking about SWG, I can't afford the time of 2 games in the summer.

Gnutson on
    Erai - Operative <--Imperial Double Agent--> Sniper - Eari
    SW:Tor - Tao - Kryatt Dragon Server
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Ran into my first mission that I didn't really like. Bib Fortuna made me haul ass to Mos Taike to find some slicer a hole. They don't have a shuttle port at Mos Taike. Why would anyone live there? Anyway I did it, got my info and went back to Bib, now the slicer wants me to come back to Taike.....

MoSiAc on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Also does the character respec tool on my old character still work or do I have to use the new npc? If it doesn't work does it sell for much? I also have one of those data disk encoders and some data disks they worth much? I think they're from some corvette thing.

MoSiAc on
  • Options
    GnutsonGnutson Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Respec tool should still work (last I played), but I'd use the trainer first the first few respecs are cheap enough, it's better to use the tool once you get to 500k respecs.

Gnutson on
    Erai - Operative <--Imperial Double Agent--> Sniper - Eari
    SW:Tor - Tao - Kryatt Dragon Server