As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MacBook Pros in French (Canadian)

EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles.Portland, ORRegistered User regular
edited May 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So, for school next Fall I'm picking up a MacBook Pro and I need it to have a French Canadian keyboard. I see on the site you can configure them with French keyboards, but those are generally in AZERTY and I need the QWERTY of the French Canadian. Anyone have any ideas or do I need to brave the iPad mobs and go directly to the source?

EDIT: I'm only looking for suggestions on French Canadian MacBook Pros or their keyboards. I'll be doing enough typing that anything else is going to be a complete pain in the ass. Using "Option" keys for accents is not an option nor is just changing the language option and adapting to it with a normal keyboard. Thanks though!

Esh on

• CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm sure you could buy one from either Futureshop or Bestbuy.ca. Shipping down to the states would probably be a bitch though.

Edit: Alternatively, come up here to Vancouver and buy one.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Corvus wrote: »
    I'm sure you could buy one from either Futureshop or Bestbuy.ca. Shipping down to the states would probably be a bitch though.

I know that Apple.ca won't ship without a Canadian address which is annoying. I'll look into Futureshop or Bestbuy.ca.

I could just buy the keyboard and replace it myself if it comes down to it.

EDIT: Also, I'd like to cash in on my student discount.

Esh on
  • FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Esh wrote: »

The keyboard doesn't look particularly easy to get at in the unibody MBPs.

Fats on
    edited May 2010
    Fats wrote: »
    Esh wrote: »

The keyboard doesn't look particularly easy to get at in the unibody MBPs.

50+ screws in the keyboard. What? D:

Esh on
  • Cyd CycloneCyd Cyclone Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The French Canadian keyboard isn't all that different from the standard US keyboard. Couldn't you just set the key layout to French Canadian in OS X and memorize the slight differences?

Cyd Cyclone on
  • AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm not sure if the French keyboard is anything like a standard English/French billingual keyboard. I work for the government so I use a billingual keyboard all the time (like right now!) and while it's not too difficult to get used to, there's basically a function key to give some keys a 3rd option. If your standard keyboard doesn't have that, you may not have enough keys.

However if it does, try setting OS X to French and then taping paper on the keyboard with what the keys now represent until you get used to it. I have an English keyboard at home and a billingual one at work, and I have no trouble switching between them. The only thing you really need to watch out for is punctuation. It wouldn't take too long to learn.

Asiina on
    edited May 2010
    Asiina wrote: »
    I'm not sure if the French keyboard is anything like a standard English/French billingual keyboard. I work for the government so I use a billingual keyboard all the time (like right now!) and while it's not too difficult to get used to, there's basically a function key to give some keys a 3rd option. If your standard keyboard doesn't have that, you may not have enough keys.

However if it does, try setting OS X to French and then taping paper on the keyboard with what the keys now represent until you get used to it. I have an English keyboard at home and a billingual one at work, and I have no trouble switching between them. The only thing you really need to watch out for is punctuation. It wouldn't take too long to learn.

No, I know. I've was doing my papers for a bit that way, but it is different enough that it doesn't work that well. Like I said above, I have an external French Canadian keyboard and the difference is enough to make it a pain in the ass.

Esh on
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    You might also try calling a Canadian Apple Store. The Vancouver one's info is here.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
    edited May 2010
    You might also try calling a Canadian Apple Store. The Vancouver one's info is here.

They won't ship to a non-Canadian address unfortunately. It's looking like I'll have to actually hop the train up there to get one.

Esh on
  • HIGH NOONHIGH NOON Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Mon clavier d'ordinateur est Canadien français, et il est QWERTY.

HIGH NOON on
    edited May 2010
    HIGH NOON wrote: »
    Mon clavier d'ordinateur est Canadien français, et il est QWERTY.

Oui, je sais. Il est pourquoi je recherche pour un ordinateur portatif du Canada.

Esh on
  • HIGH NOONHIGH NOON Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    They sell French, Spanish, and even JAPANESE layouts for the US Apple store, but not French Canadian? I guess a road trip might be in order. I honestly would be surprised if they wouldn't ship you one if you just gave them a phone call. Then again, we are taking about the communist of computers....
    Welcome to the club, comrade!!

HIGH NOON on
    edited May 2010

Oh, what sort of sales tax will I be looking at?

Esh on
    edited May 2010
    HIGH NOON wrote: »
    They sell French, Spanish, and even JAPANESE layouts for the US Apple store, but not French Canadian? I guess a road trip might be in order. I honestly would be surprised if they wouldn't ship you one if you just gave them a phone call. Then again, we are taking about the communist of computers....
    Welcome to the club, comrade!!

I think the not shipping here isn't an Apple thing, it's a Canada -> States thing. I'm pretty sure there are quite a few retailers that won't do this.

Esh on
  • Draco_AuricDraco_Auric Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Have you tried calling them and asking? Just because the website says they can't do it doesn't mean that it's impossible. You might be able to get a special order from a US store. Also I don't think that shipping from Canada to the States should be a problem. Many Canadian businesses sell largely to the American market to take advantage of the exchange rate.

Draco_Auric on
    brick2jv6.jpg
    edited May 2010
    Have you tried calling them and asking? Just because the website says they can't do it doesn't mean that it's impossible. You might be able to get a special order from a US store. Also I don't think that shipping from Canada to the States should be a problem. Many Canadians sell largely to the American market to take advantage of the exchange rate.

I suppose it can't hurt to call and ask or walk into my local store and ask.

Esh on
  • Super StachSuper Stach Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    You won't be able to get them to ship the keyboard to you from Canada unless you have a Canadian credit card and address. It's just not something you can do with Apple at all. You'd be best to head up here to do it.

Super Stach on
    edited May 2010
    You won't be able to get them to ship the keyboard to you from Canada unless you have a Canadian credit card and address. It's just not something you can do with Apple at all. You'd be best to head up here to do it.

If only it were just a keyboard and not the entire ordinateur portatif. Those are easy to find. I have a Dell French-Canadian keyboard. I've never been to Vancouver so maybe I'll make a nice weekend out of it.

Esh on