As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Age of Conan gets first expansion

• StantzStantz Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I never even read a review about this game and I don't regret it for a single second.

Stantz on
  • Evil WeevilEvil Weevil Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I played the trial, and thought that the one island place where you get off the port town was awesome 'cause you had bloody low-level battles and wars going on.

Evil Weevil on
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    2 years later Tortage is still the only interesting zone in the game

They should just take White Sands and make it 20x larger and rebuild it as a level 80 PvP zone. It sure as hell would beat anything they have now

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • eatmosushieatmosushi __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    i dunno i was pretty happy with the game till i read the forums and discovered nasty bugs the hard way.

that new mmo smell and the target rich environment for griefi.... er, pvping.... i dunno, i miss it

eatmosushi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Spun uncontrollably skyward... Driven brutally into the ground
  • Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Am I the only one that found Funcom's website ridiculously confusing as it related to how much purchasing the expansion/item packs would be (sum total)?
    That seriously just kick my bachelor's degree right in the ass.

Grape Ape on
  • MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Grape Ape wrote: »
    Am I the only one that found Funcom's website ridiculously confusing as it related to how much purchasing the expansion/item packs would be (sum total)?
    That seriously just kick my bachelor's degree right in the ass.

Yes.

The idea of the different packs, but not having them include the price of the expansion in them was a bad idea. Of course I would imagine that is to help avoid "sticker shock" from seeing the total price with the x-pac, CE, and Crom packs all together. ($98)

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I was thinking of giving this another shot today so I reinstalled it from my discs. I'm up to the point where I have to download the ~2.5GB patch in order to even boot the game up. Unfortunately this patch wants to download at less than 50kB/s and I'm getting estimated download times of around 18hours.

Anyone know of another location I download the patches without having to use the patcher?

Cobalt60 on
    edited May 2010
    I downloaded it straight from the website

something like 12 gigs or something. Took a while :lol:

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • drunkenpandarendrunkenpandaren Slapping all the goblin ham In the top laneRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Who remembers that quest where the farmer was describing something about plowing through fields and something about two supple hills? That guy was awesome.

Also it was always nice to be talking to a quest giver only to be watching yourself being STABBED IN THE BACK by an assassin at the same time while going through the conversations. I hate my friends.

drunkenpandaren on
    Origin: HaxtonWasHere
    Steam: pandas_gota_gun
  • Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Who remembers that quest where the farmer was describing something about plowing through fields and something about two supple hills? That guy was awesome.

Also it was always nice to be talking to a quest giver only to be watching yourself being STABBED IN THE BACK by an assassin at the same time while going through the conversations. I hate my friends.
    I saved my self the heartburn this time around and rolled my character on a PvE server. It's a much more enjoyable experience not getting ganked every time you go talk to an NPC.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

I was that assassin so much in this game.

Prior to the anti-ganking system being put in place I was the bane of lower level areas. Me and this naked necromancer would team up and wreak havoc on Connall Valley weekly. Also, occasionally we'd turn on each other and proceed to attempt to assassinate each other for laughs when it was convenient.

In fact, knowing how the PVP servers are, I can only see myself playing as a barbarian or assassin if I ever resubscribe. Stabbing people in the kidneys, or just leaping out of stealth and inst-decapitating a bunch of people as blood sprays everywhere is as hilarious as it is awesome.

Of course, the flip side of being a barbarian or assassin is that, since I have stealth, i'm incredibly paranoid about leaving it.

It might have been posted already, but, for the purpose of hilarity, here's some horse kicking:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-rl3RPC_Mw

Archonex on
    edited May 2010
    Barbarian is the weakest class in PvP in the current version of AoC, so I doubt you'd get to gank many people unless they were really at a disadvantage (several mobs on them etc) because they could potentially overpower you at any point

God I hate what they've done to the barbarian :(

On the flipside, the Assassin is probably the best PvP class right now, so I expect to die at least one hundred times to assassins stabbing me in the back while I am busy doing something else.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Are Bear Shamans still good? I enjoyed the hell out of mine.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2010
    yes

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • bones09bones09 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Zzulu wrote: »
    Barbarian is the weakest class in PvP in the current version of AoC, so I doubt you'd get to gank many people unless they were really at a disadvantage (several mobs on them etc) because they could potentially overpower you at any point

Ignoring the DT because that's just a given. But weaker than POM too?

BTW, anyone have any semi-reviews to post of the fileplanet trial yet? I'm still holding onto money that's either going to be spent on the aoc expansion or mh3, but I haven't decided which yet.

bones09 on
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I miss my Necro sometimes. Closest a game got to the classic Zoomancer from Diablo2. Though I'm sure Reanimation spec (pet focus) isn't the strongest in PVP.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • TagTag Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I miss my Necro sometimes. Closest a game got to the classic Zoomancer from Diablo2. Though I'm sure Reanimation spec (pet focus) isn't the strongest in PVP.

It can be, if you have enigma. A lot of PvPers won't let you use reanimate though (or they'll just wait in town till they all die), but skelliemancers can be brutal if you build well.

Edit: lol thought I was in the D2 thread, one tab over.
    galacticinquisitor.jpg
    Ignore me!

Tag on
    Overwatch: TomFoolery#1388
    Black Desert: Family Name: Foolery. Characters: Tome & Beerserk.
    (Retired) GW2 Characters (Fort Aspenwood): Roy Gee Biv
    (Retired) Let's Play: Lone Wolf
  • MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

Actually with the buffs that pet spec and the nerfs that nightfall got in 1.06, pet necros are much better for PVP.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hmmm.. I'm looking at a Feat Planner and AoC is still installed...

I'll see how I feel when I see the RotGS box at the store.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    edited May 2010
    Well, I decided to resubscribe. I've only been subscribed for about a day now and I gotta say the game has definitely improved.

Alot of the issues with character customization (Only brown, gritty armor, which while theme appropriate, isn't that distinct.) have been fixed. They've managed to keep that Conan look while adding in a fairly large number of distinctive armors. Earlier today I saw a priest of Set that actually looked like he should be in some sort of dark temple, sacrificing virgins/babies/whatever to his god. He even had a nifty face mask and hat.

Apparently world bosses now drop blue level loot with unique looks too, making it easier to get a unique look going. Also, a crapton of new armors and weapons were added in, and if you have a guild city that's rank 3, you can buy a similarly large amount of "social clothing" that's for RP purposes/just for looks.

In addition to that the new expansion is supposedly adding something like 300-400 new armor graphics. Which should bring the game up to modern times while keeping the "crapsack world" theme of the world intact by keeping everything from getting too fabulous.

Gameplay wise it's much more entertaining, and it runs alot smoother then I remember. I have the graphics and view distance maxed out and i'm getting absolutely no stuttering or issues whatsoever. PVP is pretty fun too. Fairly engaging as well, since I got my ass trounced by a player almost 9 levels below me thanks to some tricky maneuvering/him laying a clever ambush based on the terrain while I was hoofing it across a zone.

Feature wise, apparently a fair amount of stuff has been added in too since I last played. Of note is the new Wagoneers in every major village, allowing for quick travel within a zone to another area in a zone, which saves alot of travel time early on in the game.

Archonex on
    edited May 2010
    be warned that the original developers claimed they'd have thousands of armors and a plethora of sets before launch as well, when in reality it was closer to...50 armors total?

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    edited May 2010
    Zzulu wrote: »
    be warned that the original developers claimed they'd have thousands of armors and a plethora of sets before launch as well, when in reality it was closer to...50 armors total?

Pretty sure the original developers, or at least, the lead developer, got kicked off the team for spending most of the dev time pre-release for the original game hyping the game's [strike]totally rocking tits[/strike] features, rather then actually developing the features he said were going to be in.

By contrast the newer developers have largely seemed to have spent more time actually designing the expansion, rather then hyping it up. The few reviews of it i've read so far have been pretty positive as well, so i'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Besides, the expansion pack is stupidly cheap if you upgrade to it through the official website. Same with the 9.99 upgrade to the CE edition which gives you two combat pets any class can use, three unique tattoo's per gender, and EXP potions per character that should make leveling a breeze.

Though I may be a bit biased on that front. My tengu/demon/crow-monster pet is pretty awesome as far as combat pets go. I sicced it on a player who was harassing me and he ended up running off, being chased by a pissed off, giant flying bird demon, pecking at his skull. Made for a nice picture.

Archonex on
  • NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I kind of just miss WAR whenever I play AoC

And I got tired of WAR a long time ago :(

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    WAR had the awesomest PVP i enjoyed it so much. Too bad the game totally flopped after the stupid WoW expansion was released.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I think I'm going to try this again. Now that they have the Unlimited Free Trial thing there's no reason not to.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2010
    I think I'm going to try this again. Now that they have the Unlimited Free Trial thing there's no reason not to.

Yeah but i think thats only to level 20, which is where the content had always been good from the get go. It was after that that the game starting sucking.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
    edited May 2010

Yeah but i think thats only to level 20, which is where the content had always been good from the get go. It was after that that the game starting sucking.

Not really my experience, tbh. Post-Tortage did manage to kill the game for me, but subsequent tries of Tortage for me became fairly dull and somewhat annoying. Last time I tried a trial of the game I gave up at the volcano because I ended up dying a bunch if I accidentally pulled more than 2 (which was pretty easy).

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2010

Not really my experience, tbh. Post-Tortage did manage to kill the game for me, but subsequent tries of Tortage for me became fairly dull and somewhat annoying. Last time I tried a trial of the game I gave up at the volcano because I ended up dying a bunch if I accidentally pulled more than 2 (which was pretty easy).

That's pretty much what i said. Post Tortage killed the game, which is after level 20. o_O

Elimination on
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I don't understand why everyone says the game sucked outside of Tortage. In my opinion, if there's one thing the game shouldn't have had, it's Tortage. It was a boring, ugly and uninspired town with dumb little instanced quests to set you up in the game. The idea of having characters start out fresh out of Tortage would make me subscribe again if the rest of the game still wasn't lackluster.

As far as environments go, my favorite place is still Cimmeria. It is a gorgeous area. Field of the Dead and the two zones afterwards were by far the zones I found the most interesting to walk around in the entire game. The music just added to the atmosphere. It's the first time since Guild Wars that a "northen, snowy mountains" place is done so well.

Djiem on
    edited May 2010
    Honestly, Tortage is in my opinion the weakest area of the game by far, now that the content has been filled out to where you don't need to grind anymore. It's fun to go through once, but there's nothing there that's new to explore on future characters unless you get a group together and explore some of the harder to reach areas.

Hell, the weakest area graphics wise post Tortage is probably the first desert area in Stygia, and even then the sheer scope of it is pretty impressive for a MMO. All of the zones are visually stunning, especially if you crank the graphics and view distance to the max. This is probably the only game where I go back to earlier zones just to sight-see.

Archonex on
    edited May 2010

That's pretty much what i said. Post Tortage killed the game, which is after level 20. o_O

Well, you were saying that the game was always good from the beginning, which I didn't necessarily agree with. Just because I managed to get through Tortage once doesn't mean I think that it was good.

Not that any of this matters though---I had forgotten that this game needs a fairly beefy computer, and mine is not that in any way shape or form. When I was playing the game originally I had an 8800 GT but now that it's dead (died a few months ago) the 6100 I'm having to use doesn't seem to be enough. I mean, yeah, it'll run, but just barely.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2010
    I built this PC to play AoC originally. So I'm not worried about that. Though GodSlayer might bump the minimum specs a bit.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
  • FingerSlutFingerSlut __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    DAmn you have to have an active account to play. Do they have any of those "active player can send inactive player some game time" ploy?

FingerSlut on
  • drunkenpandarendrunkenpandaren Slapping all the goblin ham In the top laneRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I don't know about you guys but I liked the game post-Tortage, but I always had someone to questicuff with so it could be the reason why. Also I loved the shit out of the ToS. So I made three of them on three different servers, and they're all somewhere around level 40.

No Escape is my favorite skill. Ever.

drunkenpandaren on
    Origin: HaxtonWasHere
    Steam: pandas_gota_gun
  • Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Alright. Yeah. I can get into this...
    Leveling my HoX from where I left him off almost 2 years ago-- it's definitely the most unique class archetype I've played in any MMO: mage + sword + Lovecraftian gods? YES.
    Just a word of warning: if anyone does give this another go, I'd recommend against using the DirectX10 drivers-- for whatever reason, the support for them is awful. For me it was the difference between going through Old Tarantia at highest possible settings and going through the same zone on lowest possible at 10 FPS.

Grape Ape on
    edited May 2010
    Just a word of warning to those who were considering getting the expansion, it comes out tomorrow, so I think the discounted preorder price on the official website will disappear then.

In other news, I started up a second assassin, and the new armor graphics i'm seeing ingame at my tier are pretty swanky. I look like some sort of Pictish mass murderer.

Archonex on
  • Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Archonex wrote: »
    Just a word of warning to those who were considering getting the expansion, it comes out tomorrow, so I think the discounted preorder price on the official website will disappear then.

In other news, I started up a second assassin, and the new armor graphics i'm seeing ingame at my tier are pretty swanky. I look like some sort of Pictish mass murderer.
    Is the assassin fun for PvE? I'm thinking about creating a Khittai assassin to try out the new lower-level content.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

edited May 2010
    If you are returning/just bought AoC, PM me so I can send you the extra days offer or whatever it is. I'll earn like a months extra time for it so I'd really appreciate it

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    edited May 2010
    Modern Man wrote: »
    Archonex wrote: »

Is the assassin fun for PvE? I'm thinking about creating a Khittai assassin to try out the new lower-level content.

It really depends on how you play it. Assassins are hands down the best single target DPS in the game. However they're squishy as all hell. You need to play sneakily and dirtily if you want to optimize the effectiveness of the class.

Some general things, though. The class as a whole is very different from most traditional stealth based classes:

Hide is not your typical stealth ability. It is very reliant on the weight class of your armor, whether or not you're in the shade, and whether or not a NPC is looking right at you. This means that if you're out, in the middle of the desert, sneaking around during the day with no shade, you will be spotted. Find dark areas, foliage, or corners, and pick your targets off before engaging them directly for the best results.

Boosting your hide skill past the max with point boosts from armor and weaponry will help mitigate this, but you'll never be sneaking around right in front of mobs like you do in WoW. Stealth is very realistic.

The time of day is very dependant on how hard you'll have to work to stay hidden. That being said, light, or the absence of it can work in your favor too. At night, unless the area is heavily lit, you're golden to waltz up to pretty much anything and instakill it.

My level 32 assassin typically does somewhere in the range of 1500+ damage per critical hit. Which is enough to halve most players HP outright. That's not counting the ambush damage. Combined, I can literally two shot any class if I get the jump on them and don't botch my combo/ability rotation. Most NPC's lose 3/4's of their HP from a grim corruption and soul miasma strike combo. If not all of it.

Depending on which "spec" you choose, you'll get a strike that lets you burn a poison to do stupid amounts of damage, or stun someone (Depending on the poison attack you use before it.). This is your main method, in my opinion, of doing damage. As you'll have at least two ways to burn a poison attack/DOT off at any one time with the "Face Stab" attack.

Prior to speccing into your second poison burning ability, you'll get an ability called "Face Stab" from leveling up. Face Stab is exactly what it says on the tin. If you hit someone with an attack that applies a DOT poison, and then use it (It's an instant attack by the way. Great for fast combos.), it'll do even more damage at the cost of burning the DOT off.

Assassins aren't straight damagers. Unlike Barbarians or Conquerors, they aren't at their best when wading in and murdering stuff with spammed attacks. Hide is your friend. Especially in PVP. Opening up a fight against mobs with a hide attack is a great way to get an edge on a group of opponents.

Unlike the melee tank classes, or caster classes, you really want to optimize the order of your attacks. Alot of your best attacks are dependant on having hit a target with a previous attack, meaning if you just run in and spam your latest ability earned from leveling you won't be doing anywhere near the damage you could be.

It's probably one of the more cerebral classes in the game. You have to understand how to hide, sometimes in plain sight, using foilage or anything else at your disposal, you have to understand how to place your combos, and you have to be good at hunting down players or mobs while staying stealthed for PVP. All that, and a fair bit more, combined, means they're a royal pain in the ass for alot of people to level up.

But all that said, there's a reason why most players stop and stare when they see a well geared assassin. If you activate hide, or they hear you hide, nine times out of ten they'll panic and sprint away. Assassins are some of the best DPSers and gankers in the game, and most decent PVPers know it.

Archonex on
  • Agent CooperAgent Cooper Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Does that mean they fixed the thing where hiding was nearly impossible? Like, you could be in a cave, and it would register as noontime daylight.

Agent Cooper on