As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Dark [Thunderbolting] Avengers: Hoping the Next Leap is the Leap Back Home

• CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I don't know what she'd do but I'm sure it would be fantastic

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    so no resolution on Us agent?

No and it's a bigger travesty than OMD and Chuck Austen's Uncanny run combined. Can you imagine what Kathryn Immonen would do if she got her hands on John Walker?

Jeff Parker did this on purpose. Parker! In my office! Now!

just saw this, There is a throwaway line in mighty avengers that walker is with a field medic- they dont think he'll make it.

Spoiler alert- its a comic, he'll make it.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    It's not even that, it's how the Mighty Avengers team just kind of throws him in the dumpster and then runs off to the fight. Walker wasn't an asshole to the team either like he was on Avengers West Coast, so it's even more of not being a brah when it matters. Even Ghost helped out Ant-Man and Paladin.

"Oh, we lost our vastly superior Captain America on the team, let's just go hang out with Dinkus and new Dinkus"

TexiKen on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    He was totally an asshole.

Furu on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Well, I don't know how OT this is, but I'm posting it here anyways because we're talking about Hank Pym at the moment. I just finished my Early Modern English history midterm, and the second essay was on John Pym, the Speaker of the House of Commons during the Long Parliament leading up to the English Civil War. Now I haven't slept for about thirty six hours because of these midterms, so I made a pretty significant mistake here which I realized on the walk back to my apartment. The entire essay I referred to him as Hank Pym, as in in Hank Pym issued the Great Remonstrance (and so forth). Well, this is just fucking terrific.

Guess my grade is gonna shrink now eh? Now talk about someone else in my Thunderbolts thread before I fall even further streets behind!

Hopefully they don't penalise you too much (and I doubt they would given that it was only the first name you fluffed), but definitely internet fist bump for Civil War brahs

Wildcat on
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    It's not even that, it's how the Mighty Avengers team just kind of throws him in the dumpster and then runs off to the fight. Walker wasn't an asshole to the team either like he was on Avengers West Coast, so it's even more of not being a brah when it matters. Even Ghost helped out Ant-Man and Paladin.

"Oh, we lost our vastly superior Captain America on the team, let's just go hang out with Dinkus and new Dinkus"

Hahah, I just watched this movie. This was one of the only memorable parts :P

Sharp101 on
    edited May 2010
    Hey, Extract was very good. Gene Simmons can do no wrong.

It never gave me a LOL moment, but it was smart, and always put a smile on my face throughout the whole movie, pretty much like King of the Hill did, Lord rest its soul.

TexiKen on
  • cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Awww..Ghost looks so pathetic without his mask...

prv5120_pg7.jpg

cshadow42 on
    MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    How on Earth did Ghost let them capture him and take shit from that punk Cage?

DarkWarrior on
    edited May 2010
    How on Earth did Ghost let them capture him and take shit from that punk Cage?

Vision kicked his ass last issue.

Furu on
    edited May 2010
    In what? Thunderbolts? I don't recall that.

Ghost would own that punk Vision.

DarkWarrior on
    edited May 2010
    Whats the newest one? Last I read was 142 I think

DarkWarrior on
    edited May 2010
    Yes, it was the last issue of Thunderbolts, and just because you think something would happen doesn't make it true

Furu on
    edited May 2010
    Mustbe 143 then, I dont have that.

DarkWarrior on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Vision took him by surprise. Apparently helping to save the world doesn't make up for trying to assassinate Tony Stark.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited May 2010
    He deserves a medal for trying off Stark.

DarkWarrior on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    cshadow42 wrote: »
    Awww..Ghost looks so pathetic without his mask...
    24es74j.jpg

Since this incarnation of the Thunderbolts is about making a serious effort to reform supervillains, maybe Ghost's actions during Siege earned him a spot on the roster. I mean, the dude's still bug-nuts crazy. It's probably wise to keep an eye on him for a while and make sure he doesn't try to assassinate any prominent industrialists.

Munch on
    edited May 2010
    I like the little flies surrounding him. He's like what would happen if you crossed Pigpen from Peanuts with the Unabomber.

Robos A Go Go on
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, Rorschach / Jackie Earl Hailey is the first thing I thought of when I saw that pic of him without his mask. And that would actually make a pretty good villain in Iron Man 3, since it's probably going to have 10 of them.

Hensler on
  • Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Man, ghost looks so old in that picture. How long has been in the anti-corporate terrorist game?

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
    edited May 2010
    I think his first target must have been the Model T plans.

Wildcat on
    edited May 2010
    Fucking Wright brothers, those corporate whores!

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    edited May 2010
    What's this? Plans for a cotton gin? I'll be having those, Whitney!

Wildcat on
    edited May 2010
    Amazingly for a character that's been around for twenty years, I'm pretty sure this is the first time we've seen Ghost unmasked

Furu on
  • cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    It kind of takes away some of his coolness in being unmasked. I was hoping that Ghost was secretly Kitty Pryde (at least the current version of Ghost). Though with the recent saving of Kitty from the Big Bullet, that hope was dashed.

cshadow42 on
    MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
    edited May 2010
    Seeing his face isn't bad. He more or less looks exactly how you'd expect a dude who never takes off his costume to look.

If they give him an origin, though, it better be really fucking good.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited May 2010
    I'm pretty much betting that's what the first couple issues will be about. Splitting the issue between action sequences and flashbacks of origin stories/Cage talking to the cons about their past and how they can better their future.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    edited May 2010
    I really hope there's a scene with Clint and Cage about recruiting Karla on the team.

I mean, Bendis all but ignored the relationship until The List one-shot, but Parker should be a rad enough dude to handle it and at least mention when she was a good girl.

TexiKen on
  • GankGank Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I really hope there's a scene with Clint and Cage about recruiting Karla on the team.

I mean, Bendis all but ignored the relationship until The List one-shot, but Parker should be a rad enough dude to handle it and at least mention when she was a good girl.

I was so glad they actually mentioned the hawkeye/moonstone stuff from class t-bolts, it would actually make a good couple of pages in the new run to have cage and clint confront the issue, maybe even stark getting pissy about the ghost. Personally i love the new lineup, including man-thing.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Gank wrote: »

I was so glad they actually mentioned the hawkeye/moonstone stuff from class t-bolts, it would actually make a good couple of pages in the new run to have cage and clint confront the issue, maybe even stark getting pissy about the ghost. Personally i love the new lineup, including man-thing.

Who DOESN'T love Man-Thing?
    Horrible human beings, that's who.

MastaP on
    edited May 2010
    So I've started reading all of Thunderbolts from the beginning

Jesus H Christ what the fuck is this shit after issue #75

Furu on
    edited May 2010
    Fight Club.

Bad Fight Club. At least it only lasted 6 issues.

Isn't T-Bolts awesome though? Pick up the two Citizen V minis for even more goodies.

TexiKen on
    edited May 2010
    Will do but back to this

Who the fuck thought this was a good idea

I mean the way #75 ends and then suddenly we have this stupid completely unrelated story?

Furu on
    edited May 2010
    It was Quesada and Jemas thinking that doing a soft reboot would sucker fans of the more classic T-Bolts team to try a very very different change to the whole premise of Thunderbolts to begin with (reforming villains). T-Bolts wasn't doing bad sales-wise but not making it rain either (it was around the same as Busiek's Avengers run). This was also around the time Morrison relaunched X-Men and Geoff Johns was getting ready to take over Avengers.

This is why Quesada had to admit he was wrong about the soft relaunch and how it killed the book, and gave us an Avengers Thunderbolts mini series by Waid and Kitson/Grummett (which would actually be #76-81 before New Thunderbolts launched)

TexiKen on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    And of course the whole fight club thing is one of the few Thunderbolt stories actually collected in trade format pre-Civil War issues. I still wish Marvel would release some ultimate collections of early Thunderbolt stories but I guess they think it won't sell.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    edited May 2010
    If they do them nice and purdy like those Kurt Busiek Avengers Assemble! HCs, I'd buy them without hesitation.

I'd even go for an Essential format, screw all the 70's stuff being reprinted, put those 90's issues into the essential format and they'll do well, I guarantee it.

TexiKen on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Are any early Thunderbolt issues available in Marvel's digiital service? I don't see any in the Playstation store but that is my only source for digital comics.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    edited May 2010
    Going through that pain in the butt website (really needs a tune up along with the whole marvel site), it looks like you've got:

#1-4 (which is BS because Busiek made the first 12 issues an arc to fill during Heroes Reborn), 42-44 (this was a crossover with the Avengers), 75 (the last of the real TBolts), and 76-81 which was stupid fight club. Not even the Incredible Hulk issue where the T-Bolts first appear.

That's streets behind so much it isn't even streets behind.

TexiKen on
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I don't think it should have been called Thunderbolts, but I didn't think the Fight Club story was that bad taken on its own.

Hensler on
    edited May 2010
    Found the variant cover for T-Bolts #144

TheHeroicAge-Thunderbolts-00000.jpg

Also found some unlettered page scans of the comic here. Couple of the pages we've seen before (the ones about Ghost) but apparently Luke Cage
    doesn't wait for anything to land anymore. Oh, and Fixer's there too. Wonder who the blonde guy was though.

Edit: Lots of other cool stuff on that page about the Heroic Age too apparently!

Witch_Hunter_84 on