As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Age of Conan gets first expansion

• ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Does that mean they fixed the thing where hiding was nearly impossible? Like, you could be in a cave, and it would register as noontime daylight.

Yeah, they have from what I can tell.

It's still hard to hide, though.

Enemies way above your level/skill amount will detect you fairly easily, and some animals will detect you by default (For example, guard dogs, which show up as minions for some humanoid enemies tend to detect you by default if you get close.).

Overworld/Dungeon bosses also tend to be way above the stats of normal monsters, which obviously means they're much better at detecting you.

Alot of the difficulty comes from the nature of the stealth system, though. Like I said, knowing how to hide is just as important as having the stats to hide. Though it definitely is my favorite stealth system in any MMO i've played so far.

Archonex on
  • bones09bones09 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Grape Ape wrote: »
    Just a word of warning: if anyone does give this another go, I'd recommend against using the DirectX10 drivers-- for whatever reason, the support for them is awful. For me it was the difference between going through Old Tarantia at highest possible settings and going through the same zone on lowest possible at 10 FPS.

If you decide to try it again, tweak the settings. SSAO is a big fps hit and to me aoc looks worse with it on than with it off.

With tweaks I had it running dx10 at 25-30 fps in old tarantia on a 4850 for a while. Of course, same card would be well over 60fps on dx9 maxed, I think. I never checked the framerate in dx9 on that one, but there was a visible difference.

The main things I wanted out of dx10 when trying it on that card were godrays and waves, so it was pretty easy to tweak to get what I wanted.

bones09 on
  • Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    bones09 wrote: »
    Just a word of warning: if anyone does give this another go, I'd recommend against using the DirectX10 drivers-- for whatever reason, the support for them is awful. For me it was the difference between going through Old Tarantia at highest possible settings and going through the same zone on lowest possible at 10 FPS.

If you decide to try it again, tweak the settings. SSAO is a big fps hit and to me aoc looks worse with it on than with it off.

With tweaks I had it running dx10 at 25-30 fps in old tarantia on a 4850 for a while. Of course, same card would be well over 60fps on dx9 maxed, I think. I never checked the framerate in dx9 on that one, but there was a visible difference.

The main things I wanted out of dx10 when trying it on that card were godrays and waves, so it was pretty easy to tweak to get what I wanted.

I'll probably stick to DX9 for the time being-- DX10's been the equivalent of "play in slideshow mode" for me.
    *click* and here's me running through Old Tarantia
    *click* and here's me running into a wall
    *click* Still me running into a wall
    repeat ad nauseam.

Grape Ape on
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
  • NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    they missed their deadline and have extended the launch of the expansion by another 6hrs

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
    edited May 2010
    Neli wrote: »
    they missed their deadline and have extended the launch of the expansion by another 6hrs

Where does it say that? So far as I can tell they're still on schedule. Servers should be back up at 4PM EST.

Scheduled Downtime for Update - 11th of May
    The US servers will come down for Update 2.0 (Rise of the Godslayer) on 11th of May at 08:00 GMT / 4am EST.
    The downtime is scheduled to last 12 hours.

During this downtime we will also take the forums offline at around 09:00 GMT / 5am EST for about one hour for maintenance.

That's been the planned downtime for awhile now.

Edit: Now it's a four hour delay apparently. Apparently there are issues with the EU deployment of the expansion.

Archonex on
    edited May 2010
    Archonex wrote: »

Where does it say that? So far as I can tell they're still on schedule. Servers should be back up at 4PM EST.

The US servers will come down for Update 2.0 (Rise of the Godslayer) on 11th of May at 08:00 GMT / 4am EST.

During this downtime we will also take the forums offline at around 09:00 GMT / 5am EST for about one hour for maintenance.

Edit: Now it's a four hour delay apparently. Apparently there are issues with the EU deployment of the expansion.

It said so on the patcher. They are currently 9 hours and 2 delays past the deadline of 12 hrs. First delay was 6hrs, second delay is now 3 hrs. What this means for Europeans is that Funcom failed to launch the expansion on May 11th at all, since it's the 12th here soon.

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    [/size]
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited May 2010
    I had really fun with my Bear Shaman in this. Offensive-type healers with big fuck-off clubs ripping off heads? :^:

Echo on
    edited May 2010

It said so on the patcher. They are currently 9 hours and 2 delays past the deadline of 12 hrs. First delay was 6hrs, second delay is now 3 hrs. What this means for Europeans is that Funcom failed to launch the expansion on May 11th at all, since it's the 12th here soon.

Either i'm misreading the patcher and the official forum notes, or you're wrong. There's only been one delay so far, and that was about two hours ago due to issues with the EU servers. Granted, I can't speak for the EU forums which are different from the US forums, but the US release appears to be largely on track aside from the EU delay.

The patcher lists the downtime for this expansion beginning on the 11th (Today.), and starting at 4AM EST. The downtime lasts for 12 hours. 12 hours later, a single delay was issued, which was the four hour delay, which we haven't reached the end of yet.

Am I mistaken?

Archonex on
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
    edited May 2010

Either i'm misreading the patcher and the official forum notes, or you're wrong. There's only been one delay so far, and that was about two hours ago due to issues with the EU servers. Granted, I can't speak for the EU forums which are different from the US forums, but the US release appears to be largely on track aside from the EU delay.

The patcher lists the downtime for this expansion beginning on the 11th (Today.), and starting at 4AM EST. The downtime lasts for 12 hours. 12 hours later, a single delay was issued, which was the four hour delay, which we haven't reached the end of yet.

Am I mistaken?

Yes. I don't know if it's because I've got the EU launcher or what, but yes.

The original release was to be had around 3 GMT, then it was 9 GMT, then it was midnight, and now they are shooting for 6AM tomorrow

With the original 12 hours planned for it, that's 27hrs of trying to deploy the patch and failing. It's pretty big to miss the launch date entirely

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    [/size]
    edited May 2010
    Well, the patching servers are up and running. Of course from my experience with patching WoW, it could end up being corrupted when applied too early.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
    edited May 2010
    The US servers are up.

Archonex on
  • Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The US servers are up.

I eagerly await a forumer's candid take on the expansion; I'm currently simmering from the tag shock of what I thought was a perk pack plus the expansion (a combined metric fuckton) that I managed to avoid by what I'm assuming is an unanticipated side-effect of always pre-cancelling MMO's on a month-by-month basis

Because:
    Apparently Funcom's system won't charge you for pre-ordered goods if your subscription is canceled but you still have almost a full month of game time left? I don't know, I'm chalking it up to happy coincidence.

Grape Ape on
  • MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

I eagerly await a forumer's candid take on the expansion; I'm currently simmering from the tag shock of what I thought was a perk pack plus the expansion (a combined metric fuckton) that I managed to avoid by what I'm assuming is an unanticipated side-effect of always pre-cancelling MMO's on a month-by-month basis

Because:
    Apparently Funcom's system won't charge you for pre-ordered goods if your subscription is canceled but you still have almost a full month of game time left? I don't know, I'm chalking it up to happy coincidence.

I want to hear what the new fatalities look like. :mrgreen:

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • TethTeth __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    Hmm... I was casually perusing the MMOs on Steam the other night....

Teth on
  • Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I only had enough time to wander around the new 20-40 zone a bit. It's got a cool look to it- the whole Asian theme is pretty rare in Western MMO's.

I didn't realize until last night that all the other new zones are for level 80's. That's kind of disappointing since it means if you want to create a Khitai character, you'll only be able to level him in a Khitai zone for 20 levels, then have to go back to Stygia/Cimmeria/Aquilonia until you're level 80. Hopefully, they'll add at least one mid-level zone to Khitai down the road.

I've got high hopes for this expansion. I just re-subbed recently after being away for over a year and game has been improved substantially. Hopefully, this will breathe new life into a game that always had a ton of potential.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• OddBallOddBall Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Apparently the expansion has really given the game a lot more life and playability. I'm downloading the 1-20 trial now and if I like that I'll give the new shit a shot.

OddBall on
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Heh, I say wait a week or three before you decide to buy/get back into AoC because of the expansion. It is the standard rule when it comes to Funcom products.

"always wait"

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    edited May 2010
    MMMORG.com is giving away keys for a crocodile social pet.

http://www.mmorpg.com/giveaways.cfm/offer/175/Age-of-Conan-Rise-of-the-Godslayer-Loyal-Crocodile-Giveaway.html

If anyone wants a buddy key for 7 days free time (which I assume lets you leave Tortage) pm me your e-mail address.

Modern Man on
    Rigorous Scholarship

edited May 2010
    Zzulu wrote: »
    Heh, I say wait a week or three before you decide to buy/get back into AoC because of the expansion. It is the standard rule when it comes to Funcom products.

"always wait"

That's for new releases.

AOC has been out for a couple years now. They've ironed out most of the bugs.

The expansion is pretty awesome. The new Khitian race is pretty good looking too. It's nice to have another caster race. Nevermind the fact that I always thought the facial and hair options for Stygians were fugly and cheesy as all hell.

The new alternate advancement system is freaking awesome too. I've only looked at the Necromancer alternate advancement tree so far, but it looks like they basically added in the second "undead" class that was going to be in at release, the Lich, or whatever it was called then, as an alternate advancement tree. It even has a perk that transforms you into an undead abomination if you spend the time to research the spell.

It has some seriously powerful spells too. One of them summons up four slaughter wraiths, which were, prior to this expansion, only accessible by speccing fully into the reanimation tree. And even then you could only summon one.

I plan on getting the Lich transformation perk once I get to 80 on this character, and ravaging the country-side with my army of undead soul-suckers.

I'd say get the expansion if you can. Its cheap, and is mainly focused around helping players get past the hell levels of the immediate post Tortage part of the game, and adding in a fuckton of stuff to do in the endgame. The factions alone will probably occupy at least a month's time for me. Nevermind all the hidden fun stuff and dungeons that AoC has hidden in the gameworld as of now.

Also, for those interested, I looked up PVP, and massively multiplayer PVP is doable now. Keeps are, and have been functioning properly, and a new method of PVP, the Shrines of Bori, are in place around the gameworld on a certain map. There's also Border Keeps, which are basically, from what I understand, DAOC's keep siege system put into a modern interface, only guild oriented.

Archonex on
  • eatmosushieatmosushi __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010

"always wait"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntgYJ9iz47c

eatmosushi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Spun uncontrollably skyward... Driven brutally into the ground
    edited May 2010
    Ahahaha. Jesus christ. Assassin's get an ability called "Castration" in their alternate advancement tree.

So, I just did my first random encounter. Random encounters occur while traveling to Khitai if you don't pay the fare. Instead of riding as a passenger, you sign up as a guard, ala Fallout's caravan system. You even get paid for your work too.

The first time around I ended up scouting a canyon that the caravan master claimed had nearly gotten himself killed in last time, thanks to bandits.

Caravan_picture004.png

I proceeded into the canyon, sneaking forwards, and was promptly discovered by a few Hyrkanian bandits. After butchering them in a close won fight that stretched through the length and breadth of the canyon, archers appeared on the top of the canyon edges above me. I had just enough time to say "Oh shit" before I was promptly riddled with arrows and killed. The caravan presumably died a horrible death as well, as I was taken back to Khemi to restart my journey.

Next time around, I hired onto the caravan as a guard again. We stopped out in the middle of the desert. Turns out this caravan master had heard stories from the natives about the gulch up ahead being haunted. Heading inside alone, I scouted it and found two dinky little baby sandworms, slithering across the ground while making similarly dinky screeching noises that might be mistaken for "haunting noises" if you were a total pussy.

I murdered them for EXP and smugly turned to head back to the caravan master to get a quest completion, when I heard this hellish roar of anger as something burst out of the sand behind me:

Sandworm_picture005.png

Mama sandworm was pissed. And hungry.

Good times so far.

Archonex on
  • MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I almost cried when I saw that they introduced new faces to the original races too. One of them looks fantastic, but I am not leveling another toon to 80 just for the face!

Grrrrrrrr.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • TagTag Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Dammit Archonex, you're making this game sound way too appealing again. I swore I would never go back! /sob

Tag on
    Overwatch: TomFoolery#1388
    Black Desert: Family Name: Foolery. Characters: Tome & Beerserk.
    (Retired) GW2 Characters (Fort Aspenwood): Roy Gee Biv
    (Retired) Let's Play: Lone Wolf
    edited May 2010
    Tag wrote: »
    Dammit Archonex, you're making this game sound way too appealing again. I swore I would never go back! /sob
    One nice bonus is that the models for the female Khittai characters are, how shall I put this, freaking hot.

You know, if that's your thing and all.....

Modern Man on
    Rigorous Scholarship

edited May 2010
    Tag wrote: »

It's really worth it to give it a shot again. The game is much more sandboxy and entertaining then it was at release.

That being said, i'm not confident that most reviewers will appreciate this sort of game. It's the kind of game that you can't really review in a couple hours since you have to take the experience as a whole once you get into the gameworld, proper, rather then rushing through levels to the cap.

On another note, Eurogamer had to take their review of AoC's expansion down. They only played the beta for a couple hours and gave it a 6/10. They later took it down for being a sub-par review that they felt didn't reflect the nature of the game properly. This is a recurring problem for them, too.

Apparently playing a MMO for only a couple hours doesn't give you proper insight into what it's about. Who'da thunkit.

Archonex on
    edited May 2010
    are they still charging 15$ a month for this drek?

$5 would be so much more reasonable

eatmosushi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Spun uncontrollably skyward... Driven brutally into the ground
    edited May 2010
    eatmosushi wrote: »
    are they still charging 15$ a month for this drek?

$5 would be so much more reasonable
    Out of curiousity, when's the last time you played? I left the game over a year ago and only recently re-subbed. There have been huge improvements.

Modern Man on
    Rigorous Scholarship

edited May 2010
    i got the game opening day and i think played 3 months?

yeah that was it

eatmosushi on
    edited May 2010
    i got the game opening day and i think played 3 months?

yeah that was it

Yeeaaaah, dude. You're way behind on things. The game's actually pretty good now.

Hell, I wouldn't judge Wrath of the Lich King based on Vanilla WoW's raidtastic, boring as shit endgame gameplay.

That concept of thinking confuses the living hell out of me. Yeah, the game may have sucked in the past. But it's in the past. What it is now is more important then what it was.

Archonex on
    edited May 2010
    i dunno im just kinda beefed with the company... they were all like!... this is a pvp game!.... and i couldnt find any pvp outside of ganking people or glitching through walls of some sort in a keep.

next thing i know im grinding for hours in some rich persons apartment and... blech.

eatmosushi on
    edited May 2010
    i dunno im just kinda beefed with the company... they were all like!... this is a pvp game!.... and i couldnt find any pvp outside of ganking people or glitching through walls of some sort in a keep.

next thing i know im grinding for hours in some rich persons apartment and... blech.

Hey now. We don't need to know what you do in your off time.

But yeah. AoC came out almost two years ago, give or take a few months, I think. That's plenty of time for it to have shaped up compared to where it was at release.

Granted, there's still some bugs (Mostly from the release of the new expansion.), but nothing game-breaking.

There's some interesting vet rewards too. If you've previously had something like six months of subscribed time on your account (Accumulated, I believe.), you get a free level fifty character and another character slot by default.

On top of that, they recently put in an offline leveling system. Every 4 days of paid time gives you one level that you can apply to any character over level 20. That way if you're busy with real life you can still level, albeit slowly.

There's a ton of veteran reward items too. Every week or so you get veteran tokens, with the number of tokens you get increasing every few weeks increasing every month or so.

The tokens can be used to get all sorts of stuff, ranging from social abilities like a height enlarger that makes your character giant sized (There's a "size enhancer" for breasts too, hilariously enough.), to pets, to practical stuff like letting you buy "paths" to every major locations in the zone, which act as an ability, meaning they're infinitely reusable.

There's also a ton of mounts you can buy, along with being able to buy your mount training for only a couple tokens. Pretty sure you wouldn't even need to spend gold on your mount training and a mount by the time you leveled to fourty under normal circumstances given their costs.

I'm surprised they haven't advertised the veteran rewards features and offline leveling system. It'd probably attract a few older gamers back into the game.

Edit: Actually, alot of the newer features have gone largely unadvertised. Which is surprising. You'd think Funcom would want people to know about them.

Archonex on
    edited May 2010
    Age of Conan is (nowadays) a decent game from 1-79. I find that once you reach 80 though, you better have a sizeable guild in order to do anything. Especially PvP-wise.

Hopefully the expansion changes this a bit but I haven't seen anything to indicate that it would. I'll report back if I think the expansion improves the abysmal endgame though. Here's hoping.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    edited May 2010
    so can i log in, click a button, and get into a pvp battleground?

or do i have to log in for some STV gonzo mashups?

eatmosushi on
  • The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Age of Conan is (nowadays) a decent game from 1-79. I find that once you reach 80 though, you better have a sizeable guild in order to do anything. Especially PvP-wise.

Hopefully the expansion changes this a bit but I haven't seen anything to indicate that it would. I'll report back if I think the expansion improves the abysmal endgame though. Here's hoping.

Oh great. I told my friends to come back since it's been 2 years and seems to be a good game.

One of them promptly told me that "get to 80 and tell me its fun".

I'm sad it hasn't changed but it's his own fault for powerleveling.

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
    edited May 2010
    so can i log in, click a button, and get into a pvp battleground?

or do i have to log in for some STV gonzo mashups?

(I don't know what the second sentence means)

You can, but you will lose 95% of the time to premades who can not be killed by pugs and who will probably have arbitrary advantages like PvP armor and BK buffs to make them seem even more invincible.

Pugging PvP in AoC just does not work and should not even be attempted. It's what I've been trying to do for the past 4 days and it has been the most frustrating experience in a modern MMO to date for me.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    edited May 2010
    god i am STILL fine with hunting people down in whitesands.

so 15/month still?

eatmosushi on
    edited May 2010
    ganking still works though :winky:

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    edited May 2010

My understanding is that that was one of the expansion's goals. Though I may be wrong.

Though, obviously there are some things you just can't do without a guild either way. You aren't going to be getting involved in keep sieges without a guild, for instance.

Archonex on