As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Sins of a Solar Empire - totally not Homeworld 3

CarnivoreCarnivore Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in Games and Technology
remnants of Relic, the brilliant devs of Homeworld 2 and the stunning Company of Heroes are back with a spiritual successor to Homeworld franchise in the same vein of Bioshock, similar but not breaching any contracts.

Called Sins of a Solar Empire, it borrows heavily on its Homeworld roots. Gameplay is a cross between Rome Total War and Homeworld, where the meta game world map is a galaxy, where you develop planets and mine asteroids and stuff, and fleet battles are a real time RTS fully rotational 3d space combat.

Gamespot has a great preview up at the mo, ill link the best stuff. Ive been following it for a while it looks like it is really coming together now. With Relic still schtum on the Homeworld license we might not need to wait long for the next in the series, well, in spirit if not in name.

935993_20070321_screen002.jpg

Much more detailed than Homeworlds simplistic rock/paper/scissors combat this allows you to customise every individual ship, both looks and outfitting. Create behemoth motherships to lead your hordes across the galaxy, have special characters develop RPG style to command these ships and turn the tide for your fleets.

hi001.jpg

at the moment the graphics look at bit choppy but its still a little from release. bear in mind the fleet batles will be huge, and zooming in on ships a la EVE online is unfair as it plays much more like an RTS.

soase.jpg

Thoughts on this? Homeworld 3 officially will be in development soon, Relic havent confirmed or denied rumours they repurchased the homeworld license, and currently working on the first xpac for CoH (British faction yay!) it will be more like 2009 if they do make an official Homeworld 3.

Space based RTS games are few and far between, this looks stellar.

hihi.jpg
Carnivore on

• LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    oh my

LewieP on
  • DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Are you some kind of fairy here to post threads that make my dreams come true?

I'm running out of new pants.

Docshifty on
  • SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Between this and the KOTOR MMO, today just seems full of surprises.

Surprises that make me happy in the pants.

Suriko on
  • SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    This looks really nice, has a release date been set yet?

Silpheed on
  • CarnivoreCarnivore Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Silpheed wrote: »
    This looks really nice, has a release date been set yet?

None, though I expect this fall, say November ish. Its not done yet but it has been in development for over a year.

I need to find a screenie of the galaxy map. Seriously, imagine Rome Total War only instead of europe and cities you have the milky way and star systems. You can fortify em with orbital turrets, stations all sorts of things. interstellar hangars and all that jazz.

really, i expect the hype to build up soon. it looks great and while it may not be GOTY or anything, it will definetly be good. I honestly expect it over steam too which is great, dunno why just seems to fit the profile.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I wonder if this is what the short trailer after the ending credits in Dark Crusade was all about.

edit: ah yes, here it is
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_doSWBEyOcA

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I think a much better comparison than R:TW would be GalCiv II, seeing as Stardock is co-developing this thing.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I think a much better comparison than R:TW would be GalCiv II, seeing as Stardock is co-developing this thing.

Stardock eh....

O RLY.

Stardock is good people, with a decent grasp of game balancing (A homeworld issue). Good tidings.

Will it be released of their network?

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    This makes me happy.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • PeterPeter Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    This looks might cool. Love the homeworld series. Although i never did get very far in 2. It was just too goddam hard.

Peter on
    edited April 2007
    I wonder if this is what the short trailer after the ending credits in Dark Crusade was all about.

It would be kind of weird since it isn't Relic behind the reins of the development. It's Ironclad Games that is responsible for this one, the only thing that is Relic related to this one is that it has a few former Relic employees on the developer list.

Silpheed on
  • SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Suriko wrote: »
    Between this and the KOTOR MMO, today just seems full of surprises.
    Wait, what?!

Oh, and I thought this game was a little lighter on the RTS elements, that it would be more focused on the 4X style of games, although in real-time. At least that's what all the previews I read said. It made me really really interested. Although if it's just a RTS I probably won't get it. I suck at RTS games.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited April 2007

It would be kind of weird since it isn't Relic behind the reins of the development. It's Ironclad Games that is responsible for this one, the only thing that is Relic related to this one is that it has a few former Relic employees on the developer list.

Yeah, it fits with both WH40k and Homeworld though. I'd love to see some elements from Homeworld in DoW, Mauraders and Fightabombaz, and Grand Cruisers oh my!

Malkor on
    edited April 2007
    Apparently this is supposed to be a lot slower than standard RTS's, Suds. Which suits me fine since I suck as well with the kind of rush gameplay that games such as Dawn of War promotes.

EDIT: Malkor, why would Relic promote a game that they aren't even involved in? My guess is that the end credits in DC will be the DoW2 announcement instead.

Silpheed on
    edited April 2007
    Its slower and more deliberate, but the whole 3 dimensions thing takes some getting used to.

Malkor on
    edited April 2007
    Malkor wrote: »
    Its slower and more deliberate, but the whole 3 dimensions thing takes some getting used to.
    If you played Homeworld before that should be second nature to you by now. The biggest problem I foresee that the problem won't be the adding of the Z-axis but instead the implementation of an interface that makes planning strategies in full 3D easy and accessible. That is one aspect that Homeworld failed at.

Silpheed on
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Wow. This game is gorgeous. The ships seem very Homeworldish in that they look incredible when viewed from a distance but have definite flaws when seen close up.

Cilla Black on
    edited April 2007
    Apparently this is supposed to be a lot slower than standard RTS's, Suds. Which suits me fine since I suck as well with the kind of rush gameplay that games such as Dawn of War promotes.

EDIT: Malkor, why would Relic promote a game that they aren't even involved in? My guess is that the end credits in DC will be the DoW2 announcement instead.

Oh, I guess I kinda glossed over the rumor part of buying back the Homeworld liscence.

Malkor on
    edited April 2007

Oh, I guess I kinda glossed over the rumor part of buying back the Homeworld liscence.
    If Relic manages to buy back the Homeworld license I hope that the next game in the series considers HW2 non-canon.

Silpheed on
  • KiithKiith Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Oh man, i'm looking forward to this. Homeworld is one of my all time favourite games, and i loved Homeworld 2 as well (even with the...strange story). And adding in Rome gameplay elements, as well as RPG elements is just cool.

Kiith on
    The very existense of flame throwers proves that at sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves "I want to set those people over there on fire, but i'm just not close enough to get the job done."
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I am so hard right now.

This AND there will be a Homeworld 3? Kickass.

Hopefully Homeworld 3 will live up to the standards the first 2 created.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    AWESOME!

So will this game have multiple factions to conquer the galaxy with?

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    edited April 2007
    Will this have a story driven campaign or is single player simply "sandbox mode"?

Silpheed on
  • RoundBoyRoundBoy Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    My pants have gotten very stiff suddenly.

This is a good thing (the game & the pants)

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
    Librarians harbor a terrible secret. Find it.
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

If Relic manages to buy back the Homeworld license I hope that the next game in the series considers HW2 non-canon.
    Out of curiosity, why is that?

Cilla Black on
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I dunno if you guys have actually played this yet, but I have, and it's not bad. Definitely needs work balancing, and DEFINITELY needs more ships. It's kinda like Rise of Nations in space.

SniperGuy on
  • SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Does it play a lot like a RTS game or 4X game?

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Holy crap that looks awesome. Rome: Total War in Space is something I shall buy blindly.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Oh hell yes. I saw this back when all there was was a crappy website with no screens and bad art.

Then apparently I found a genie and all my dreams came true.

Also, RoN in space just made me even happier. RoL was not the game I was hoping for, but if this manages to do the empire management RTS as well as RoN, that would make me so happy.

Edit: Also, it would wash Genesis Rising's taste out of my mouth. Why is it so hard to make spaceships fun?

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    HOLY FUCK!

What do you mean "Remnants?" I know Alex Garden's gone, as is probably most of the staff that worked on Homeworld, but.. who is making this?! Is THQ gonna publish? Has the stick finally been pulled out of Vivendi's ass?

Oh god. OH GOD I'm so excited right now. UE3 might have gotten me to purchase a new computer, but this most certainly will.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • MasterDebaterMasterDebater Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Like I need another good game coming out this fall :P

MasterDebater on
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    *reads the Gamespot article*

HEY! The OP to this is misleading, and there doesn't appear to be any talk of this over at the Relic forums. =/

Yeah. Grrrr..

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I got the impression that it was some of the people from the Homeworld team, with Stardock as the publisher.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
    edited April 2007
    Zilla84 wrote: »

Out of curiosity, why is that?
    I guess the main reason why I feel this way about Homeworld 2 is the fact that the story just didn't really grip me since a lot of the story felt so disjointed at times. Add to the fact that the A.I pre-adjusted it's fleet to counter yours even worse than Cataclysm did made me throw my hands up in frustration several times.

Silpheed on
  • CarnivoreCarnivore Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I got the impression that it was some of the people from the Homeworld team, with Stardock as the publisher.

Yeah just to clarify, a lot of the team are ex relic guys and come from homeworld stock.

and there wont be talk of this on the relic forums because A: its not a relic game and B: im sure they delete threads talking about other games on there. like when COH came out there was a lot of comparisons with the other crappier WW2 rts cant remember it.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • BriareosBriareos Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I remember hearing about this game from a while back. I should dig out my copy of Homeworld and re-ignite the passion.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bongibongi regular
    edited April 2007
    i hope you can design ships that don't look like something out of dodgy 90s sci-fi

bongi on
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    It's not like Rome Total War..at all. And what's a 4X game?

The interface needs work too. In endgame, it's impossible to manage all the ships and fleets you have. They can get lost in your multitude of planets and whatnot. Can you not preorder and get into the beta still?

SniperGuy on
  • RoundBoyRoundBoy Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Quite the opposite, i want to design ships that look like nothing but two metal pie plates sandwiched together, hanging from string.

awesome

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
    Librarians harbor a terrible secret. Find it.
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Er... aren't the developer team mostly former members of Barking Dog?

Which means their relation to Relic is pretty much limited to Cataclysm?

Which isn't a bad thing, since Cataclysm was amazing.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
This discussion has been closed.