As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Music download avenues

-Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining.Registered User regular
So, since I got my iPod, I've been buying a lot of stuff on iTunes. It's a slick service, but the inability to redownload stuff is worrying. I remember someone saying they get MP3's through Amazon - how good is their MP3 service? Are there any other sites you can buy, and redownload, MP3's?

edit - I just realized how this sounds. I'm not looking for anything illegal. I really can't think of a better thread title.

-Loki- on

• Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    www.7digital.com

Great prices and you can download your music whenever you want.

Impersonator on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    That looks like what I'm looking for. It's a bit pricier than Amazon though, but cheaper than iTunes.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    They have lots of sales going on though, I'm sure you'll be able to buy whatever it is you want at an affordable price, :)

Impersonator on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Amazon does let you redownload music.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    KalTorak wrote: »

I don't think it does. I was intrigued by your comment and was able to find my "Media Library" on Amazon. It describes the song I bought, but instead of a download link there's only the text "Already downloaded".

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    KalTorak wrote: »

I don't think it does. I was intrigued by your comment and was able to find my "Media Library" on Amazon. It describes the song I bought, but instead of a download link there's only the text "Already downloaded".

Heh, I did exactly the same thing, but I couldn't figure out how to do it either.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Huh, maybe not. I remember someone on here saying you could, but I haven't bought much music from Amazon, maybe I was misled.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    You can't. If you want to redownload music from Amazon they'd recommend you to get their online backup service. :P

Impersonator on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So yeah, I went through the shit needed to set up an Amazon account, went to buy an MP3 album... oops! MP3's are only available for US residents.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Proxy, my man. Proxy.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Can't be bothered. I'll just use iTunes for now, even if it is expensive.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    You can backup your iTunes library and all the songs you buy are DRM-free (so you can burn them or back them up or even give them to your friends if you want, I guess--never tried, don't quote me on this).

a little herp derp, I know ("but mom i wanted to use iTunes so I didn't have to have a million CDs lying around!") but you can get a pretty sizable collection of music on a dual-layered DVD or two. The process is fairly painless, too.

Senshi on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I've got no problems backing them up - I have an external hard drive waiting to be fixed (I somehow killed a partition on it, and can't find free software to reformat it) for that reason. I was just looking for cheaper MP3 downloads, because iTunes tends to be pricey. The redownlading thing is just a bonus.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Err, what's wrong with 7digital? It's the obvious solution for your case. It's legit, 7digital is the official music store for Ubuntu, for example.

Impersonator on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    If you're into a lot of indie music and like finding new (or new old) stuff, I'm pretty sure eMusic is available in Australia.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Err, what's wrong with 7digital? It's the obvious solution for your case. It's legit, 7digital is the official music store for Ubuntu, for example.

Because after converting from pounds, music comes out about the same price as iTunes.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    -Loki- wrote: »

Because after converting from pounds, music comes out about the same price as iTunes.

You can pay in whatever currency you like.

Impersonator on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    -Loki- wrote: »

You can pay in whatever currency you like.

I know, but I still need to pay enough to cover the exchange rate. So a £8 album (what I noticed was the average) comes out to about $14au. When an iTunes album is $16au, that's not enough of a saving for me to bother.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I really want an avenue where you can download music.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I wish other services besides iTunes offered AAC. The longevity of mp3 is driving me nuts. At least most players can handle AAC nowadays, but good grief - it's not like mp3 isn't equally patent-encumbered. 7digital looks good, but I am a little leary of the quality loss in converting to 128 kbit AAC from 192kb mp3, which is what I usually do for maximum iPod efficiency (and I usually need over 200kb before the quality loss in transcoding isn't audible, so 192 is kind of a sweet spot of frustration - inefficient, and can't do anything about it).

LoneIgadzra on