As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Free backup software?

Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
I'm not looking to create disc images, or automated restoration, or anything fancy. I'd just like a program that will look at the folders and files I have in one location, and copy over to another disc whenever a change is noted. If it can do this for multiple locations to multiple discs, that would be fantastic.

Essentially, I want something that duplicates the function of a RAID 1 array using software, since my motherboard doesn't support RAID arrays.

sig_megas_armed.jpg
Bionic Monkey on

• Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm not sure if a solution exists that doesn't involve the cloud.

Impersonator on
  • Options
    smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    smokmnky on
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Live Mesh or Sync Toy.

Live Mesh can do it in real time and has a cloud back up option.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    K0dosK0dos Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Try dropbox you get a couple of gigs of storage for free. I use it to sync files between work and home. It works for any kind of OS as well as iPhone and Android.

K0dos on
    139892.png
  • Options
    Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    There's tons of freeware that do this exact thing.

google "synchronize folders" and pick one or just head over to http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9d467a69-57ff-4ae7-96ee-b18c4790cffd&DisplayLang=en and use robocopy. Pretty sure there is a gui available for it as well, somewhere.

Roland_tHTG on
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    smokmnky wrote: »

I am going to have to 2nd this. At the computer repair shop I work, this is what we use when people want to backup to another hard drive. You can set it up to auto-backup whenever you want. It is just the best god damned system backup software out there.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    TincheTinche No dog food for Victor tonight. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    What OS are you using? Linux can do RAID1 in software just fine, and is actually a good idea in some cases since it eliminates a point of failure.

A little googling around seems to indicate Windows 7 Professional+ can do software mirroring too.

You could also try scheduling a daily (or hourly, or whatever) sync using whatever rsync-like tools you have available (like deltacopy or robocopy), or maybe synctoy.

Tinche on
    We're marooned on a small island, in an endless sea,
    Confined to a tiny spit of sand, unable to escape,
    But tonight, it's heavy stuff.
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium. Cobian seems to be doing what I need it to; I just need to play around with the settings a bit more. Thanks guys.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    finalbroadcastfinalbroadcast WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Anyone know a free alternative for OS X? Time machine is being buggy with network drives.

finalbroadcast on
    finalbroadcast.jpg
  • Options
    smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium. Cobian seems to be doing what I need it to; I just need to play around with the settings a bit more. Thanks guys.

Yeah it's great for local disc copy. If you want cloud storage you generally have pay but dropbox is pretty awesome and they have iPhone/iPad apps

smokmnky on