As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Squidbunny's stupid thread again (help me do a crappy cover really fast)

squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
edited October 2012 in Artist's Corner
Partially retroactively spoilered for immense amounts of scroll.

Vane Black:
vane.jpg

John Henry Hunter:
hunter.jpg

These are some pages:
nto01_01.jpg

nto01_02.jpg

nto01_03.jpg

nto01_04.jpg

nto01_05.jpg

header_image_sm.jpg
squidbunny on

• MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Looks awesome Squids, I really love how you've built up the colour in the panels, really gives the explosion huge impact on the page.

Mustang on
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2010
    Looks great Squid! I love your characters. Is there a reason for the elaborate frames for gutters? it looks pretty, but seems excessive. I'm guessing its an intro thing.

Iruka on
  • Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Looks sweet, but the scroll work seems a little over the top. I could see it as accents to the frames, but its a little overbearing, at least without know the context of the page to the rest of the comic.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Faded_SneakersFaded_Sneakers City of AngelsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I fucking love it.

Love the borders too.

Excess is awsome in my opinion. I am elitist snob that loves over the top details regardless of whether they make sense. If theyre done well my heart bleeds tears of glee.

For instance take John Romita Jr. Fantastic artist in many respects who is almost a complete minimalist when it comes to backgrounds and added design elements. Hes nice too look at but he always leaves me kind of emptily wishing hed explore the visual medium and expand upon the idea that comics ARE A FUCKING VISUAL MEDIUM. Sorry, I just read the "Kick-Ass" comic and while the writing was cool enough I just found the artwork to be a very weak second.

I like what you are doing and would love to see the elaborate set up your indicating here continued throughout.

Faded_Sneakers on
    Instagram: fadedsneakers
    edited April 2010
    Yeah I love the elaborate frames too. I personally wouldn't use them on every page though, they're a nice opener, but could get a bit sickly.

Mustang on
  • KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I like it all. The only thing bothering me about the frames is they are asymetrical or the patters arent mirrored. My brain at least seems to expect frame patterns like that to mirror, and when it doesnt it calls attention to it. Which seems counter productive when your putting all the hard work into the panels. Working digitally especially.. makes the mirroring even easier.. Its a minor thing tho.

Kendeathwalker on
  • squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Thanks, gang. All points regarding the super ornate panel frames taken. I wasn't planning on them being a constant fixture; the comic is going to switch a lot between an active, present narrative and a recalled, past narrative and I was going to use the elaborate framing, along with the sepia, to help demarcate the past stuff. One of the primary characters is also a stage performer, so I'm trying to mimic posters and handbills some, too. I'm hoping some of this comes together as I move forward. You'll have to let me know when I get more done. For now, appreciate the feedback.

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • ChillyChilly Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I like it, and I think that the ornate frames work that way as a one time flourish of extravagance. I dig the character designs, but then again I am a sucker for old west style re-imaginings.

The only crit I have is that in the females poses, the one on the right with the tilted down hat, her head seems to be set at an awkward or off angle, kind of like her face is pointed a little more to her right, readers left, and the hat is angled the opposite way. I can't tell if that's just from the hat or if maybe the head is just tilted a little weirdly under the hat.

Very minor detail in a super awesome set up you have going. Thumbs up from me!

Chilly on
  • slacktronslacktron Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Your characters look great, and I find them as engaging as any Disney-esque design. That style also suggests what kind of story wer're in for: one of high adventure and lush visuals that appeals to both kids and adults. The kind I could read to my children without finding a surprise decapitation on page 14.

I get how the picture frames communicate that this is flashback, reinforced by the sepia tone of olde west pictures. The color of the flames is the one incongruous aspect of that motif. So let me guess: flames are what's going to transition us to the present? After the page flip we'll be back in the now with the protagonist ruminating on this important past event over a campfire?

Okay, you've hooked me. Now make more. More!

slacktron on
    slacktron_zombie_fighter_sig.jpg
    edited April 2010
    Thanks for all the feedback, guys. Although I may have misstepped if it's looking kid-friendly. It's really not.

OP updated with 2&3.

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • ChillyChilly Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I dig the borders with the card suits integrated into them. Slick.

Chilly on
    edited April 2010
    Great to see more of your work, SB.

Transitioning the flames into a phoenix-like spectre escaping from a coffin? Didn't see that one coming!

The only problem I ran across is in panel 7 of your last page. My eye was drawn to the next panel on the right instead of the one below. I see how you tried to tell me which way to go with your balloon placement, but I still missed the jump. I think it's because of two things: the motion of the losing gambler's exit leads me to lady gambler's wide eyes in panel 9 , and I'd feel as if I read myself into a corner if I read down, as proceeding up to the upper-left corner of panel 9 goes against my instincts.

Perhaps have her laughter spill out of the bottommost balloon on panel 7, flow down into panel 8, then go upward into panel 9 where it is terminated by a gasp of shock when J.H. Hunter makes his appearance?

As for your style, I meant to say that it is visually accessible to kids, unlike IDW's "30 Days of Night", for example. You've got bright colors and wonderfully exaggerated physiology. Who doesn't love that?

Maybe the content is not friendly to some kids, but given that I regularly tell stories of children fighting undead and/or alien threats to my brats, until I see boobs, gore or hard drugs, I say it's okay. Like a good Pixar movie, the adult situations go right past them.

But if your story were rated by the Motion Picture Association, what would you guess it would be and why? (without spoilers!)

slacktron on
    edited April 2010
    Good catch, slack. Refresh pg 3 -- I made a change to the HaHas per your crit. Think this works?

I'd put it at an alternating PG-13/R, mostly for prostitutes and immolation.

I'm actually wondering if anyone has any thoughts on my choice of lettering font.

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    These pages effin rule. Amazing colors. That second page is just wow. Really cool start and I'm definitely looking forward to more.

I'm not really a font whore, so all I can really say is the font works.

Also the hahaha seems kinda long, and made me want to go to the right panel, and the type size just seems kinda small for a good ol belly laugh.

earthwormadam on
  • Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The font itself is fine, there's nothing wrong with it really. Instinctively I would say maybe you can find something more hand-writing-ish to match the setting, but there's nothing wrong with what you've got.

I happen to be partial to a non-capslock approach to lettering, but that's just my personal preference.

Vargas Prime on
    edited April 2010
    Also the hahaha seems kinda long, and made me want to go to the right panel, and the type size just seems kinda small for a good ol belly laugh.

Wow, hoist on my own retard, I guess, since I changed it to its present state specifically to avoid that. I'll have to fix it later. Agreed, I think, on the size. Also the kerning is weird.

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
    edited April 2010
    squidbunny wrote: »
    Think this works?

Oh yeah, that works. I hear her laughter as she scoops up the cash and is suddenly cut off in the next panel, where I follow Mr. Hunter's arm up to her surprised face. Well done.
    As earthwormadam mentioned, it does look like she might be chortling "aha" at the end of it, though.

I hadn't even noticed the font, which is traditionally the best compliment you can give. But now that you mention it, it looks kinda bold and the "F" seems to dip below baseline. I'm a fan of Blambot and would recommend something comic-standard like Digital Strip if you have a mind to change it. That said, your artwork brings across the voices just fine and the present font is readable so you don't have to do a thing.

Just please, please don't change it to something overly ornate like Westerner. I picked up a copy of Mouse Guard this weekend, and in spite of being brilliantly illustrated, the font choice made it tougher to read than it needed to be. It sounds like those freaking mice are all speaking on the floor of the Roman senate.

slacktron on
    edited April 2010
    The font actually is a BlamBot font. I tried to stay away from the webcomic staples like Webletterer and Digital Strip; I think they're too modern and too recognizeable. They also look odd at smaller sizes.

If you didn't notice the lettering initially, then yeah, I'm gonna take that as a point in its favor. Although the Fs do look weird at this web preview size, you're right.

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Oh my god yes! Fucking finally!

Oh this thread's a few days old already, dang, I need to pay better attention.

The way the fire transitions into clouds in the second page is especially gorgeous, I must say. I look forward to seeing more.

Spectre-x on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I hate to chime in on the borders after they've been thoroughly discussed, but I think they might work better if they looked flatter. As is, I think they're a bit distracting due to how rendered and three-dimensional they look, taking my focus away from what's going on inside the panels. Actually, I thought JH Williams III did ornate borders really well in the western comic, Justice Riders: 1 2 3

Loving everything else though. It really reminds me of Kazu Kibuishi's Daisy Kutter.

Munch on
  • FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Some really great artwork in here! The fire is kind of bugging me though; I love the transition to the clouds, but overall it feels very sloppy compared to the rest of the pages.

Keep it up, it's great to see some new stuff from you. :)

Flay on
    edited May 2010
    Thanks guys.

I see what you mean about the fire and I'll probably go back in and smooth it out some, actually. I'm trying to balance it looking cool with not spending forever and a day on each page; still trying to find my stride with it.

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
    edited May 2010
    nto01_04.jpg
    nto01_05.jpg

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
    edited May 2010
    All right, another update! Glad to have you back around these parts.

As always, I'm mesmerized by your attention to detail. The little things really make your story stand out. Love the steampunk weapons, and how Mr. Hunter is wanted for -- amongst other things-- Witchcraft. Alternate history established, yo.

EDIT: I was thinking about that dropping "F" in your font choice. Is it possible that the capitalized version might sit more on baseline? Even in an all-uppercase font, Piekos sometimes puts two flavors of letter in there to keep things interesting if case they are repeated in f/x (as per "oofff").

slacktron on
  • CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I love this! Some of these panels seem truly animated, like they were ripped out of an animated movie. Good work!

Cristoval on
    edited May 2010
    Cristoval wrote: »
    I love this! Some of these panels seem truly animated, like they were ripped out of an animated movie. Good work!

I was thinking exactly the same thing when I read that last page. I think you could spend a bit more time nailing down the expressions before commiting to them though squids. Some of them seem a bit peculiar, especially the cigarette lighting panels.

Mustang on
  • mullymully Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    you are amazing, squid, i can't wait to see more of this. absolutely captivating comic components, all in all. angles, character design, colouring, inking - like the close up of the girl laughing when she wins, her mouth is even amazing.

and i love the frame work on the panels

THREE CHEERS

mully on
  • mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    woahkay, besides the art being absolutely fantastic the actual plot and dialogue itself looks interesting as well.

mensch-o-matic on
    edited May 2010
    Mustang wrote: »
    Cristoval wrote: »

I was thinking exactly the same thing when I read that last page. I think you could spend a bit more time nailing down the expressions before commiting to them though squids. Some of them seem a bit peculiar, especially the cigarette lighting panels.

Crist & Mustang; I was actually feeling like all these talking heads were looking pretty static so that's super rad to hear.

But Mustang: what's bugging you about the cigarette panels. I was pretty satisfied with those. She's supposed to look pretty stunned, since he lit the thing with no visible means, followed by apparently reaching a creepy uninvited hand toward her chest. So I was kind of going for surprise/mild affected outrage? Did I miss my mark?

Thanks, everybody. :D

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
    edited May 2010
    do you have scans of your processes on these, squid? are you penciling / inking on paper then scanning?

mully on
    edited May 2010
    They actually have no inks. Because I am avant garde. Or lazy. Something.

They're just pencil, and they look like this:

05_pencils.jpg

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
    edited May 2010
    It's nothing major squids, she just looks more like she sat on a wet frog than is surprised by his forwardness. I suppose there's not much between the two expressions, but I'm just trying to offer something more than me just saying this is great, which it is.

Mustang on
    edited May 2010
    these are awesome. and uh,, please post your roughs so I feel better about how ridiculously clean those pencils are.

Kendeathwalker on
    edited May 2010
    yeah i also wanna see what came before the wicked clean pencils

YOU CANT BE THAT PERFECT, SQUID

YOU JUST CANT

mully on
    edited May 2010
    The notion that I'm capable of clean pencils, just, like, out of my ass, makes me giggle. I'm a notorious slob and have fequently been told no one but me could extrapolate meaning from my pencils.

No, actually the underdrawing on these I'm doing in non-photo blue (which obviously my scanner still reads but I can easily just dump those channels in PS).

I had to re-scan one, just to prove that I am terrible. And filthy. To really underscore, this is the page that is ugly and where I forgot to draw half the lines until I was in PS.

04_pencils_dirty.jpg

Wow, though, guys. Seriously thanks for the kind words. I am encouraged as hell.

Too bad westerns are all the rage, presently, and R* has made the ultimate western game tape, and I'll now probably be too preoccupied playing it to get this done in time to take advantage of the fact that westerns are all the rage.

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    These are awesome and you should feel awesome.

One thing, though. Your male lead has a face that reads slightly sinister to me, almost like the villain in a Disney show/movie. Is this intentional?

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
    edited May 2010
    so im looking at your rough pencils

you do blue wireframes to get everything set up

then you do your pencil lines

how do you clean them up?

how do you photoshop?

would love to see one of those process gifs from you

sorry im asking so many questions, i just adore this and im looking to start drawing a comic so i want to learn the best way to do it

and i like the way you do it

now i just feel like im hitting on you

mully on
  • DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    mully wrote: »

sorry im asking so many questions, i just adore this and im looking to start drawing a comic so i want to learn the best way to do it

and i like the way you do it

now i just feel like im hitting on you

Yea, that's right...show me your blue lines. Slowly.

Now take another layer off...ahh, there you go. Smooth lines, baby, smooth lines.

DrZiplock on
  • NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    mully

do you have this book?

understandingcomics500.jpg

i know it sounds ridiculous and he can rant quite a bit, but seriously, you should read it if you haven't. really helped me see things and understand some concepts i didn't realize were going on in comics.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
    edited May 2010
    mully one way you can eliminate the blue lines is by opeining up the hue saturation sliders.. selecting the blue/cyan channels and raising the lightness all the way up and the saturation all the way down... Im sure there some more clever way to do it with channels..

Kendeathwalker on