As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] Warlocks: We wear cloth.

GnutsonGnutson Registered User regular
edited May 2011 in MMO Extravaganza
I promise nothing but to keep the thread title somewhat up to date and if I remember at home to link a few specs.
  • Popular Specs
  1. Affliction
  2. Demonology
  3. Destruction
Choose your spec based on your favorite method of "Nazi Head Fatality" in Raiders of the Lost Ark.

New warlock thread

GO!

Erai - Operative <--Imperial Double Agent--> Sniper - Eari
SW:Tor - Tao - Kryatt Dragon Server
Gnutson on

• JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Nice new thread. =) For the longest time, I've felt that the major thing that I missed when playing my Warlock compared to some of my other DPS classes was CDs to be able to burst on heroic bosses and short boss fights, outside of Meta(I prefer to play Destro/Aff). The new soul shard mechanic and presumably Demon Soul will give us not one, but two of these things I've so longed for. :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Joshmvii on
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I vote the specs part should only have a simple modification resulting in:
    1. Affliction
    2. Demonology
    3. Destruction

Choose your spec based on your favorite method of "Nazi Head Fatality" in Raiders of the Lost Ark.

...and leave it at that.

:-)

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • GnutsonGnutson Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    End wrote: »
    I vote the specs part should only have a simple modification resulting in:
    1. Affliction
    2. Demonology
    3. Destruction

...and leave it at that.

:-)

That's pretty much full of win. As for trash dotting from the other thread. With glyph of quick decay your corruptions are probably going to get close to full damage on most trash now providing your sporting a decent amount of haste.

So pretty much corruption, sbolt on 2 targets and soc on 3+ would be the most effective trash damage imo.

Unless your running that goofy destruction spec, in which case your burst is high enough you don't need to scale back to corruption.

Gnutson on
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm really looking forward to those 'lock changes. They look fantastic.

Wassermelone on
  • Elessar ElfstoneElessar Elfstone Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I was wondering where our thread went.

Elessar Elfstone on
    Tobias: Or it could be your colon. I'd want to get in there and find some answers.

Forsake, Warlock of Stonemaul
    edited May 2010
    No posted it in the old one for weeks, but also I think it was up to 80 or 90 pages, and Dyscord wasn't really updating the OP, so I guess it really was time to have a new one.

End on
    edited May 2010
    New threads are more fun anyway!

Joshmvii on
  • wusoldjrwusoldjr Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'll take Nazi Head Fatality #1 with onion rings, please.

wusoldjr on
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Drestruction is the Tres Chic spec
    Now that that's out of the way I wonder what will happen to the bag since I keep the quiver on my hunter just for the look.

tier 10 so sooo sweet for affliction it was well worth the wait to get it

Brainleech on
  • -Phil--Phil- Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I have never understood why they dont make shards stack now... Its really annoying. I can imagin how bad it would be if I was not able to purchase 16 slot bags for my alt.

On a side note, I am really enjoying playing a lock. Currently lvl 38 and going affliction. I am easily taking on mobs 4 levels higher than me and have even completed quests with 6+ lvl mobs.

-Phil- on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2010
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Now that that's out of the way I wonder what will happen to the bag since I keep the quiver on my hunter just for the look.

Why do you keep saying that?

It's not really much more fashionable than any other spec right now.

End on
    edited May 2010

If anything, it's the least fashionable spec right now.

I still see tons of destruction spec'd warlocks on Windrunner and in pvp and you are in the same battlegroup!

Brainleech on
  • EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

If anything, it's the least fashionable spec right now.

I still see tons of destruction spec'd warlocks on Windrunner and in pvp and you are in the same battlegroup!

Warlocks don't have a tres chic spec, every spec gets about equal use these days, and from what I can tell affliction is the highest dps raid spec at the moment, which means if anything that is the tres chic spec. Also you really need to stop saying tres chic, I know you think it's cool, but it's really not.

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
    edited May 2010
    I think people like to play Destro because

A) Chaos Bolt is one of the most awesome spells ever.
    B) Burst damage is fun in BGs and Heroics.
    C) Demo is much harder to handle with procs and rotation.
    D) Affliction is harder and has ramp up.

In terms of viability, all 3 are in a good place, but yeah, I think Destro gets played more in general, counting all people, not just raiders. Raid wise I'd say Aff is probably the most popular right now, because it's the highest DPS by a small margin.

Joshmvii on
    edited May 2010
    I see all sorts of warlocks in pvp. Personally, I haven't done any arena lately, but the ones I talk to were affliction when I last looked, but that's only a handful.

For raiding, either affliction or demo seems to be a lot more popular. I see a few destro warlocks, yes, but more of them seem to be alts, and they seem to be outnumbered to me.

In 5mans...well...I've never ever been put in a 5man by the LFG tool with another warlock.

Destro really doesn't seem that popular to me. Probably the most, when it comes to mains, is on here, and I don't think it exceeds any other spec here either.

End on
  • MutilateMutilate Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    My first ever character in WoW was a Warlock. I got him to 48, decided I did not enjoy it and rerolled Druid. To this day that Warlock is still 48 and I have never been able to bring myself to finish leveling him. Sometimes I feel like I owe it to him to level him up to 80.

Mutilate on
    edited May 2010
    I don't see that many affliction warlocks till recently. I do find it odd when you get grouped with another of the same class in a lfg pug.
    I don't know if they are a main or alt but then it is dishearting to see a destruction warlock for me because my brother had the best comment while leveling his warlock. He was asked why was he affliction when destrction was just as good. He said he had a mage the shaman said True that!

Brainleech on
  • DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm leveling a low-level warlock primrarily through battlegrounds equipped with full heirloom gear.

I'm finding I can take a huge amount of damage before I go down. Granted, my burst damage is terrible, but I look at it as death through papercuts. Slow and painful.

All throwin' dots around like candy before I fall to a sea of slowly-dying rogues and hunters.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
    edited May 2010
    I agree that all 3 specs are in a good place right now. Demo is very raid friendly and doesn't totally gimp personal performance to do it which is why I'm running it now.

I see alot of locks that I run with that have destro as offspec just for the burst but hardly any run it main spec anymore it seems.

Although Chaos Bolt is BIG NUMBERS, and I'm not going to lie, I kinda miss seeing them.

Gnutson on
    edited May 2010
    If I wanted to rely on random procs, I'd play a mage. If I want burst, I could play a mage or a destro warlock. (Although, arcane is pretty absurd when it has cooldowns to pop.)

;-)

End on
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I was excited to finally hit 80 on my Lock until I realized I would spend the entire raid hitting 1 3 4 4 4 2. PvP wasn't much better when I would DoT some squishy class up to the gills and have them 2-shot me. It was probably gear issues but the only way to get better gear was mind numbing grinds.

BlueDestiny on
    edited May 2010
    Deadfall wrote: »
    I'm leveling a low-level warlock primrarily through battlegrounds equipped with full heirloom gear.

I'm finding I can take a huge amount of damage before I go down. Granted, my burst damage is terrible, but I look at it as death through papercuts. Slow and painful.

All throwin' dots around like candy before I fall to a sea of slowly-dying rogues and hunters.

The absolute best part of affliction pvp is seeing "killing blow" while your waiting for the spirit rez.

Yeah you got me, but I got you too!

Gnutson on
    edited May 2010
    Gnutson wrote: »
    I agree that all 3 specs are in a good place right now. Demo is very raid friendly and doesn't totally gimp personal performance to do it which is why I'm running it now.

I see alot of locks that I run with that have destro as offspec just for the burst but hardly any run it main spec anymore it seems.

Although Chaos Bolt is BIG NUMBERS, and I'm not going to lie, I kinda miss seeing them.

That's one of the reasons I liked Destro back in 3.2 when I last played him, because I could get Conflag and Chaos Bolt both to crit for 5 digits and it was so sexy. Doesn't demo get even more huge crits with Soulfire execute though? I was looking forward to trying Demo for this very reason, and I hope I'm not wrong.

Joshmvii on
    edited May 2010
    Joshmvii wrote: »

That's one of the reasons I liked Destro back in 3.2 when I last played him, because I could get Conflag and Chaos Bolt both to crit for 5 digits and it was so sexy. Doesn't demo get even more huge crits with Soulfire execute though? I was looking forward to trying Demo for this very reason, and I hope I'm not wrong.

Yeah, but only during execute phase.. and 8 or so seconds into the next target.

Ok, it's pretty sweet, one of they many reasons I like demo now.

Gnutson on
    edited May 2010
    Here's a demo question: Should you charge in and throw up immolation aura and then go to work DPSing as normal on heroic bosses when you pop Meta, or is it better to simply hang back and sling spells to not waste any of the 20% increase?

I suspect the answer is 'it depends on the boss', because the answer is hardly ever black or white. Thanks!

Joshmvii on
    edited May 2010
    I never want to waste a cooldown while in meta. Which includes charging or immolate aura.

If there is an opportunity to move between cooldowns (after a corruption or curse global for example) I will, but you'll get so much more bang for you buck casting.

Also want to make sure you lifetap (if glyphed for it) right before you pop meta do you won't need to during.

imo anyway.

Gnutson on
    edited May 2010
    I never want to waste a cooldown while in meta. Which includes charging or immolate aura.

If there is an opportunity to move between cooldowns (after a corruption or curse global for example) I will, but you'll get so much more bang for you buck casting.

Also want to make sure you lifetap (if glyphed for it) right before you pop meta do you won't need to during.

imo anyway.

Thanks, that's what I was looking for. I was thinking using the GCDs to charge and immolation aura wouldn't be worth it, but I wanted to get input from somebody with experience. And thanks for the tip about lifetap glyph. I am a lifetapping fool on my lock. The last time I play him I pretty much just hit rank 1 lifetap about every 5 seconds in between combats to keep my glyph up and to keep a full stack of my Illustration of the Dragon Soul buff, and I never let the buff drop in combat.

Joshmvii on
    edited May 2010

imo anyway.

Thanks, that's what I was looking for. I was thinking using the GCDs to charge and immolation aura wouldn't be worth it, but I wanted to get input from somebody with experience. And thanks for the tip about lifetap glyph. I am a lifetapping fool on my lock. The last time I play him I pretty much just hit rank 1 lifetap about every 5 seconds in between combats to keep my glyph up and to keep a full stack of my Illustration of the Dragon Soul buff, and I never let the buff drop in combat.

Try using Rank 8 (iirc that is the highest) it doesn't take near the life it used to.

Gnutson on
    edited May 2010

imo anyway.

Try using Rank 8 (iirc that is the highest) it doesn't take near the life it used to.

Oh, I always use the max rank for life tapping in combat or when I actually need mana, I just use rank 1 to build/keep up the 10 stacks of my IotDS trinket in between fights. I try to annoy the healer as little as possible with my tapping. =)

Joshmvii on
    edited May 2010

imo anyway.

Oh, I always use the max rank for life tapping in combat or when I actually need mana, I just use rank 1 to build/keep up the 10 stacks of my IotDS trinket in between fights. I try to annoy the healer as little as possible with my tapping. =)

Gotcha. I'm still rocking some pretty bad trinkets due to warlock neglect.

Of course I seen the Reighn of the unliving drop last night in my ToC25... that I was healing.

Gnutson on
    edited May 2010
    Strangely, my trinkets are actually finally non-terrible.

OTOH, they're both random procs, which can be annoying.

On the other other hand, if they both proc at the same time, I get ridiculous amounts of spell power.

End on
    edited May 2010
    NMiC and Abyssal Rune.

The crystal is ok I guess. Not my first choice for Demo, but still not terribad.

Gnutson on
    edited May 2010
    I'm glad I got the Abyssal Rune and IotDS on my Lock back when I first dinged him 80, because I hate having bad trinkets on a DPS class and no way besides luck to replace them. Those ought to hold me off for a while, especially since he's just an alt to DPS with for fun.

Joshmvii on
    edited May 2010
    Man, it's crazy how much self benefit you get out of Demo talents. I swapped my spec on skanky Mclockface to Demo to try it out, and self buffed only with just Fel Armor I'm at like 2700 SP, 25% crit, 750 haste with my spellstone on. This character is still in some pretty lousy gear, like ilvl 200 T7, and at least one of his rings is the ilvl 200 ring from argent crusade rep. That's like a 200 SP/7% crit jump from the destro spec I had, and that's not even counting DP. Man I'm excited to try this spec out. =D

Joshmvii on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    man those changes seem pretty swanky. I don't know if I'll ever wind up coming back, but they seem cool.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So I've just picked up my old warlock whom I haven't played since vanilla wow. A lot of stuff is different, I went through parts of BC as demo but later switched to affliction and man, wow, its such a cheese fest. I just walk around putting haunt, corruption and CoA on anything I see (alternating haunt for unstable affliction when on cooldown) and there's no stopping me. I am literally a one man army.

I was sad to replace my old raid gear though, and even 3 years worth of rested xp was quickly exhausted so Northrend is going a bit slow. Any quick tips on what I should be doing when I hit 80 to get some decent gear together quick?

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

imo anyway.

At higher levels keeping locks topped off between fights isn't a problem that even approaches annoying. At lower levels though, OH MY GOD there is nothing worse than the locks who tap to no health right before every pull. I've seen healers in lower level instances curse out warlocks and drop after a few pulls of that. Please don't be that guy.

Regina Fong on
  • JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Demo's the spec for huge numbers, especially since my guild pops bloodlust at 35% usually. 1.3 s or so cast time soulfires that crit for 30k :D

Jutranjo on
    edited May 2010
    jeepguy wrote: »

imo anyway.

At higher levels keeping locks topped off between fights isn't a problem that even approaches annoying. At lower levels though, OH MY GOD there is nothing worse than the locks who tap to no health right before every pull. I've seen healers in lower level instances curse out warlocks and drop after a few pulls of that. Please don't be that guy.

Being a main tank means having situational awareness and knowing what's going on at all times. I don't ever tap myself to very low health when it's going to put any strain on the healer. I'm always aware of how much mana the healer has, how much mana I need for the next pull, etc.

Joshmvii on
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    jeepguy wrote: »

imo anyway.

Being a main tank means having situational awareness and knowing what's going on at all times. I don't ever tap myself to very low health when it's going to put any strain on the healer. I'm always aware of how much mana the healer has, how much mana I need for the next pull, etc.

You know I never really thought you'd do that for a moment. For that matter, I doubt anyone reading this thread does it (or maybe even ever did do it). But that doesn't stop me from eyeing every warlock with suspicion, because the fact is that so many warlocks do it.

Regina Fong on
This discussion has been closed.