As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Tales of the Old [Westerns]

• IsidoreIsidore Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Also, I'm just gonna put this in the thread:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6BQKFs3-VM

I'm going to have to watch this film now. That is an incredible song.

Thank you Western Thread. You have, implausibly, made me both want to watch a genre I didn't really care about; and made me so, so excited for Red Dead Redemption on friday.

Isidore on
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    And if we're going to mention No Country For Old Men then The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada should be mentioned as well. Great movie.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Isidore wrote: »
    Also, I'm just gonna put this in the thread:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6BQKFs3-VM

I'm going to have to watch this film now. That is an incredible song.

Thank you Western Thread. You have, implausibly, made me both want to watch a genre I didn't really care about; and made me so, so excited for Red Dead Redemption on friday.

Enrico Morricone did the scores for just about all of Leone's films and the music in all of them is simply brilliant. Even a weaker Leone film like Duck, You Sucker still has an amazing score.

Thomamelas on
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I grew up on Westerns, some in film format, but mostly in the form of Louis L'Amour novels. I still love em to this day.

As far as movies go, I know a lot of people hate on it, but I quite enjoyed Open Range.

The Sackett miniseries based on the L'Amour novels was great as well. Absolute dream cast for the time. Actually any of the made for tv L'Amour stuff is pretty fun.

So how bout modern westerns? No Country has been mentioned, and I agree. I'll toss this out there. Way of the Gun.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    As far as movies go, I know a lot of people hate on it, but I quite enjoyed Open Range.

I like that movie, in large part because it has one of my favorite extended shootout scenes in recent memory. Some parts of the film are pretty cheesy, but it's enjoyable nonetheless.
    This is from the end of the film, so don't so much watch it if you don't want to be spoiled.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lq3zjTmVLbM

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • CorbiusCorbius Shepard Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I watched a video comparing Yojimbo, Fistful of Dollars, and Last Man Standing the other day.

Was interesting, made me want to watch more Kurosawa films.

Corbius on
    wrexsig1.jpg
    PSN: Corbius
  • N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'd also consider No Country For Old Men to be a Western as well, and really enjoyed it.

I really enjoyed No Country for Old Men, but I don't really consider it to be a Western, per se. No Country for Old Men was essentially a Greek tragic play set in the West. (Why, yes, I am a literature nerd.) It's incredibly true to the tragic conventions and needs, right down to the hubris and Tommy Lee Jones as the Chorus. This is why I think a number people I know who love Westerns did not like this movie. They expected the American Epic that is the classic Western and got a Greek tragedy instead. Personally, I thought it was brilliant.
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    And I checked YouTube's movie section to see what they had up and all I could find is McLintock. It's not one of the great Westerns. It is a rather fun Western that shows the transition from the frontier to society. It has Wayne and Maureen O'Hara who always had a great chemistry.

McLintock is fun for so many reasons, not in the least because of the homage to The Taming of the Shrew. I mean, John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara? What's not to like? :-P
    I grew up on Westerns, some in film format, but mostly in the form of Louis L'Amour novels. I still love em to this day.

The Sackett miniseries based on the L'Amour novels was great as well. Absolute dream cast for the time. Actually any of the made for tv L'Amour stuff is pretty fun.

So how bout modern westerns? No Country has been mentioned, and I agree. I'll toss this out there. Way of the Gun.

You stole my input. haha I thought Open Range was a nicely done Western. Robert Duvall plays such a great cowboy. The movie has quite well used silences as well that worked well.

I grew up reading and watching Westerns myself. It's hard to beat Louis L'Amour. He had such a sense of the West, both the real West and the idealized West. The Sacketts is good stuff: good story, great cast.

I know it might seem cliché, but I really like High Noon. It's probably about my favorite.

N1tSt4lker on
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yall wrote: »
    Yall wrote: »
    No mention of "They Call Me Trinity"?

For shame PA!

I haven't seen it yet. I don't know the Terrence Hill movies beyond My Name is Nobody.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/They_Call_Me_Trinity

Fantastic movie. My boss turned me onto Terrence Hill and Bud Spencer stuff a while back.

Do you have any idea how popular Bud Spencer and Terrence Hill were in Brazil around the 80's?
    We loved those dudes. Trinity was the coolest guy ever.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    want to thank you for the OP, very nicely done.

edit - I enjoyed the proposition, and while it isn't so recent there is a Depp film called I think Dead Man from maybe 1992 that I believe would or could be considered a western which is quite interesting.

ah, 1995, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112817/ Jarmusch

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hearing about some of these movies set in other countries has me thinking about the various places that a "western" could be set in: Brazil and Argentina both have wide open plains, and there's Australia obviously. I could imagine a "western" set in central asia in the nineteenth century.... the british colonials on one side, russians on the other, locals in the middle...

Yougottawanna on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hearing about some of these movies set in other countries has me thinking about the various places that a "western" could be set in: Brazil and Argentina both have wide open plains, and there's Australia obviously. I could imagine a "western" set in central asia in the nineteenth century.... the british colonials on one side, russians on the other, locals in the middle...

They've been set all over the place. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid takes place partly in Bolivia. The Ostern is the Soviet equivalent that was made to be the mirror image of the Western for propaganda and is usually set in the steppes of Asia. The Good, the Bad and the Weird is set in Mongolia. Quigly Down Under is set in Australia.

Thomamelas on
  • YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm gonna have to watch this good the bad and the weird. I have a thing for Mongolia...

Yougottawanna on
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

They've been set all over the place. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid takes place partly in Bolivia. The Ostern is the Soviet equivalent that was made to be the mirror image of the Western for propaganda and is usually set in the steppes of Asia. The Good, the Bad and the Weird is set in Mongolia. Quigly Down Under is set in Australia.

I understand most of the Spaghetti Westerns were filmed in at a place called Almaria in Andalusia. They even have a small tourist industry built around the old sets! I was going to visit it last year while I was in the region but then I had second thoughts as it seemed a little corny

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
    edited May 2010
    Kalkino wrote: »

I understand most of the Spaghetti Westerns were filmed in at a place called Almaria in Andalusia. They even have a small tourist industry built around the old sets! I was going to visit it last year while I was in the region but then I had second thoughts as it seemed a little corny

See I'd love that.

Thomamelas on
  • GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Check out The Proposition for a somewhat recent Australian 'western'.

Also, if Deadwood gets to be mentioned, Lonesome Dove deserves a shoutout too.

Grislo on
    This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
    edited May 2010

See I'd love that.

Well perhaps corny was the wrong word. I had a week in the area and I had a lot of other things I wanted to go see that I valued more. The area is full of pre Roman, Roman, Visigoth, Arabic/Muslim and then Medieval sites of interest and I am a bit of a history geek.

Kalkino on
    edited May 2010

See I'd love that.

Well perhaps corny was the wrong word. I had a week in the area and I had a lot of other things I wanted to go see that I valued more. The area is full of pre Roman, Roman, Visigoth, Arabic/Muslim and then Medieval sites of interest and I am a bit of a history geek.

Yes but the film history there...

Thomamelas on
    edited May 2010

See I'd love that.

Yes but the film history there...

I was torn! I may have to go back, it is pretty cheap to fly there from London, perhaps under $100 return if I time it right. Then hostels for 3 or 4 nights would be about that as well. Goddam it is cheap to be a tourist in Europe

This is where I went instead: Granada

spain.1119050040.granada_alhambra_mountains_xlarge_2x.jpg

Kalkino on
  • NumerosNumeros Goodness GraciousRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Variable wrote: »
    want to thank you for the OP, very nicely done.

edit - I enjoyed the proposition, and while it isn't so recent there is a Depp film called I think Dead Man from maybe 1992 that I believe would or could be considered a western which is quite interesting.

ah, 1995, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112817/ Jarmusch

Dead Man is one of the most fantastic movies I've ever seen, but it's definitely not a straight western by any stretch of the imagination. While its external elements are standard western fare, internally, it is so far out of whack Most of the movie is like a disjointed acid dream, albeit an amazingly executed disjointed acid dream. Alfred Molina and Crispin Glover are both totally amazing, not to mention Depp and Gary Farmer.

Numeros on
  • Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Grew up watching the awesomness og The Dollars Trilogy
    I watch them every year.

Dox the PI on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Assassination of Jesse James and El Topo really ought to be in the OP, especially with the role El Topo played in the history of the genre.

Xagarath on
    edited May 2010
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Assassination of Jesse James and El Topo really ought to be in the OP, especially with the role El Topo played in the history of the genre.

I tried to limit the OP to the very influential Westerns. El Topo could be argued onto the list because it basically caused the creation of the Acid Western, but I was tired and I really didn't want to explain it. It also has a history of being damn near impossible to get a hold of. Has a DVD been released for it yet? The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford doesn't make the influential part of the list and it's not really on the required watching list.

Thomamelas on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

I tried to limit the OP to the very influential Westerns. El Topo could be argued onto the list because it basically caused the creation of the Acid Western, but I was tired and I really didn't want to explain it. It also has a history of being damn near impossible to get a hold of. Has a DVD been released for it yet?
    No idea about R1, but it's been out on DVD over here for years. Not hard to come by at all.

Xagarath on
    edited May 2010

I tried to limit the OP to the very influential Westerns. El Topo could be argued onto the list because it basically caused the creation of the Acid Western, but I was tired and I really didn't want to explain it. It also has a history of being damn near impossible to get a hold of. Has a DVD been released for it yet?
    No idea about R1, but it's been out on DVD over here for years. Not hard to come by at all.

Apparently there was an official DVD release in 2007. I'll add it to the list a little bit later.

Thomamelas on
  • CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I thought I'd chime in that Appaloosa is very good.

Cabezone on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    My favorite western:
    firefly_cast.jpg

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2010
    Anybody else seen Grim Prairie Tales? Brad Dourif and James Earl Jones swap ghost stories around a campfire in the old west.

Bogart on
    edited May 2010
    Bogart wrote: »
    Anybody else seen Grim Prairie Tales? Brad Dourif and James Earl Jones swap ghost stories around a campfire in the old west.

I remember seeing it on TV long, long ago.

Thomamelas on
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

Our open plains were completely devoid of people, back then.

The entire action was going on in the Northeast Semi-Arid regions. There is a lot of hard, thorny low vegetation over there. There were gangs of "Cangaceiros", cangs of men and women armed to the teeth and clad in hard leather, who roamed the countryside like the plague. They were feared and idolized. Most were wiped out by the police, but there are plenty of awesome tales. The biggest and most famous was Lampião ("Oil Lantern").

There's also the horrid true story of Canudos, a city-theocracy founded by a crazy prophet who railed against the newly formed republic. They were attacked several times by the army, and beat them back. Every single person in Canudos was slaughtered in the end, down to the last man, woman and child. A Brazilian writer/journalist of the time wrote a book about it, after he saw it happen (Os Sertões) and Mario Vargas Llosa also wrote about it.

All those tales would make great fucking western movies.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    edited May 2010
    Feral wrote: »
    My favorite western:
    firefly_cast.jpg

You know, one of the reasons I fell completely in love with Firefly from the first episode was what a fun Western it was...just set in space.

Speaking of Australia and Westerns, although it is slightly campy and also slighty cheesy, I always liked Quigley Down Under. A less campy and cheesy Western-in-Australia that I haven't watched in years but did enjoy when I saw it was The Man from Snowy River.

N1tSt4lker on
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Return to Snowy River was even better. :) Opening scene at the track, damned near perfect.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
    edited May 2010
    Return to Snowy River was even better. :) Opening scene at the track, damned near perfect.

My dad always says that one is even better, but I'm ashamed to admit I have yet to see it.

N1tSt4lker on
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited May 2010
    In honor of this thread I've moved True Grit to the top of my queue of films to watch next week.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
    edited May 2010
    Elki wrote: »
    In honor of this thread I've moved True Grit to the top of my queue of films to watch next week.

I like True Grit. I don't think it's Wayne's best role or his best Western but it's a fine and solid choice. I'm somewhat annoyed it's being remade. The Cohen brothers are an interesting choice but I'm really not sure how Jeff Daniels is going to do in Wayne's shoes.

Thomamelas on
    edited May 2010
    El Topo and The Shootist have been added to my list. Currently on the to do list is:

Hud
    Hombre
    McCabe and Mrs Miller
    Taxi Driver

Thomamelas on
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    to me the entire genre existed to produce the line "fill your hands, yoooouuu sonnuvabitch"

Evil Multifarious on
    edited May 2010
    to me the entire genre existed to produce the line "fill your hands, yoooouuu sonnuvabitch"

One of the things I love about that scene is something Wayne did in a lot of his movies. That Winchester's lever was modified for his big hands, you'll note that it's almost a circle rather then the long oval of a normal one. The increased size lets him do the twirl with it when he works the lever. It's got almost a sword like feel when he does that.

Thomamelas on
  • KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I think my favorite legacy of the Western is a simple phrase--perhaps one of the best American idioms:

"Get the hell out of Dodge."

Kilroy on
    edited May 2010
    N1tSt4lker wrote: »

My dad always says that one is even better, but I'm ashamed to admit I have yet to see it.

The Snowy River films were pretty huge back in the day. I really should watch them again, to see if my adult self thinks the child self's tastes were anygood

Kalkino on
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hud

This movie will forever be more important to me for what it didn't do than what it did.
    In the book, Hud outright rapes the house maid. In the movie, he aggressively takes her flirtation for a come-on, but still kind of rapes her. In the book, it's traumatic. In the movie, the maid apologizes for being a cocktease. In the film, the maid is a middle-aged white lady. In the book, it's a young black girl.

Atomika on