As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

IT'S ALIVE

• Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Houk wrote: »
    Faynor wrote: »
    I bet girls are cheaper if you institute a very strict "One abortion and that's it, no exceptions" policy

hey shank, look what can I do

you think it's not okay to make light of human death when, debateably, that's exactly what abortion is! (I don't think so, but there are plenty of people who would argue until they're blue in the face that that's what it is)

not to mention the emotional and mental turmoil women go through because of such a procedure

yep, let's joke about it! it's hilarious! marginalize their pain and all that jazz!

to try and lambaste skull man for a type of joke that we've all made a million times is pretty ridiculous, and it's even more ludicrous to act like you've never done it

I'm not claiming I've been perfect! In fact, I still, today (or a month and a half ago), make comments that I'm not proud of; the sorts of comments that I didn't care much about one way or the other a year ago today. Thank you for pointing that out to me; I'm not proud of it, I don't condone it, and I'll make a greater effort to abstain in the future.

I cannot, unfortunately, become the sort of person I'd like to be overnight; however, I'm doing my best to get there, and although I may falter (and, although I'm ashamed to admit it, may snap if I get called out on faltering if I'm in a bad mood), the fact that I can see something that I've said like that and see that it's objectionable and inappropriate gives me hope that I might be able to be someone that I'm wholly proud of someday in the not-too-distant-future.
    That's pretty cool and all, but in the meantime you make yourself look like a horse's ass when you take a self-righteous dump in someone else's throat for doing something you yourself are struggling not to do.

I don't agree, honestly. Particularly because, as I've said, the nature of the author has no bearing on the signifiers, and so no bearing on the signified.

Besides, being shocked on a gut level at what someone else said isn't something I can control, and remarking on it when I just said that I prefer it when people remark on my own over-the-line slips isn't very hypocritical at all.

Charles Kinbote on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    there's a woman for you

always changing her avatar instead of not looking in a box

Tam on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    rb-dolphin.gif

you should make this your sig instead, Viv

my favourite dolphin

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Drew-BDrew-B Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Jesus christ who gives a shit?

edit: t: this shank/faynor business

Drew-B on
  • VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    no that is not a dusky dolphin

dusky dolphins are my favourites

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
    edited May 2010
    Vivixenne wrote: »

do dusky dolphins have guns

Faynor on
  • mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    dolphins fucking terrify me

e- even the gunless kind!

mensch-o-matic on
  • VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Besides, being shocked on a gut level at what someone else said isn't something I can control, and remarking on it when I just said that I prefer it when people remark on my own over-the-line slips isn't very hypocritical at all.

Yeah well maybe people aren't you.

Just because you like or prefer or are okay with something being done to you doesn't mean they like it done to them.

Vivixenne on
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Drew-B wrote: »
    Jesus christ who gives a shit?

edit: t: this shank/faynor business

oh thank god, i thought you were referring to dolphins

Brolo on
    edited May 2010
    what this thread needs

is optimistic vaguely ethnic vocals

thus, I demand you all listen to this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3js4WQKdqE

Tam on
    edited May 2010
    Faynor wrote: »

do dusky dolphins have guns

no

because they don't need them

Vivixenne on
    edited May 2010
    a dolphin that doesn't need a gun is a dolphin that I don't need to know

Faynor on
    edited May 2010

Yeah well maybe people aren't you .

Just because you like or prefer or are okay with something being done to you doesn't mean they like it done to them.

That's fine.

I am not going to apologize for being astonished at what someone else said. It struck me as cold and callous; therefore, I am a person who finds statements like that to be cold and callous. In terms of this conversation, that is what matters.

Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.

Charles Kinbote on
    edited May 2010
    Viv that sounds hell of divisive. Could you reiterate?

I don't mean to get touchy...freedom of information is the biggest issue I'm truly passionate about, is all.
    I really, really do not know how to explain it.

Take what you know of Chinese culture. Defensive, exploratory but not invasive, preventive over reactive, deeply respectful of roles and authority, unquestioning, minding one's own business, language that requires memorization and recitation to learn, harmony, stability.

Take what you know of recent Chinese history. Country got torn apart by foreigners the instant they let them in for the better part of a century, country got locked in a massive power struggle from 1911 on, Japanese invasion, CCP in power, GLF, Cultural Revolution, Gang of Four, Deng Xiaoping... all the way up to now.

That "now," which is where China stopped trying to DENY everything Western and instead try to learn from them and be "like" them. That is, they adopted a capitalist economic system but maintain a communist power structure (not strictly communist, as many know, but a Chinese interpretation of communist, which itself has even changed since Mao's little red book).

China, an old country that saw its heyday long before many of today's superpowers came into their own, is losing its cultural identity and tradition to the spread of capitalism. People want to "live" like the developed western nations, they want all their troubles to cease. They want stability and harmony after two centuries of not having ANY of it.

In any society, there will be those with opinions that differ to that of the government. The expression of these opinions grows much more bold with the added anonymity you have online. Dissidence and the spread of these views (which are, note, widely western) basically means that controling the volume of that dissidence is the best way to control the dissidence itself (remember: an aspect of Chinese culture is the PREVENTION of problems rather than the RESOLVING of them).

That's just one example. There are many others. None of them JUSTIFY what China has done in terms of information control, but what I'm trying to say here is that, for THEM, it makes sense. If it doesn't make sense to you, too bad, they don't care because you're not one of THEM. And believe it or not, the majority of people in China don't see a major issue with this because the sites being blocked are English ones. Chinese versions of many of these services exist, and they exist within the bounds of what the government deems appropriate. So what if Chinese Facebook doesn't allow discussion groups? The majority of the Chinese public (again, given the cultural notes above) don't really CARE enough to want to discuss it.

Yes, there are politically minded people in China, but your average Joe doesn't really care in that case. The life they have now is good and it is better than what their parents and grandparents described to them, so why bitch?

Fair enough...that clears things up.

How much would attribute the loss of cultural identity to capitalism as compared to the CCP, though? China indeed has thousands of years of history and culture, but wasn't a lot of that whitewashed in '49 when a new state/national identity was formed, too?

Trying to have a discussion on this makes me feel pretty shitty, considering I took heaps of Chinese courses/have a degree in Political science with an East Asia (i.e., China, if you take a look at my course load) studies. I forgot so much of what I was taught, though I was taught by damn good professors. I believe my favorite prof actually marched around the country during the cultural revolution as a youth to 'carry on the revolution' as they say. (Most of my profs were, in fact, Chinese of course).

I guess this is what happens when you double major and end up following through, career wise, on only one of the degrees.

Drew-B on
    edited May 2010
    you know whats worse than dolphins

whales

actually you know what just fuck the ocean and the entirety of its contents

mensch-o-matic on
    edited May 2010
    But...don't you like sea food?!

Drew-B on
    edited May 2010

whales

I will fight you

Tam on
    edited May 2010
    what'd ol' natek ever do to you, mensch

Faynor on
  • Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Whales are bad ass!

Zombies Tossed My Salad! on
    edited May 2010
    are you all listening to the song?

I did not post in a half delirium chomping on tequila chicken wings to be ignored

Tam on
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

That's fine.

I am not going to apologize for being astonished at what someone else said. It struck me as cold and callous; therefore, I am a person who finds statements like that to be cold and callous. In terms of this conversation, that is what matters.

Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.

No but it makes you look fucking retarded when you act like a silly goose over something that was clearly a joke.

Blake T on
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

That's fine.

So basically you want to talk just to hear yourself talk, whether or not it actually helps the other person. Cool.

Yeah you can't control how you feel, but you can control how you react. You chose to be pompous and self-righteous and not consider the person you were talking to.

Saying "I want other people to talk down to me so it's okay for me to talk down to other people" doesn't make it okay.

Also what blake said. And now I get to go home, so continue enjoying your lack of awareness man!

Houk the Namebringer on
    edited May 2010

whales

I have decided that you're next

Vivixenne on
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I am not a dolphin.

Blake T on
    edited May 2010
    look im not saying that i have a personal problem with the denizens of the deep

just that they terrify me and therefore do not deserve to exist

except for natek, he dont scare me
    Untitled-1-6.png

mensch-o-matic on
    edited May 2010
    Blaket wrote: »

That's fine.

No but it makes you look fucking retarded when you act like a silly goose over something that was clearly a joke.

It being a joke doesn't make it any more appropriate. Especially given that it was an ironic joke, viz. one that serves little purpose but to remove someone from their own legitimate feelings on a subject.

Charles Kinbote on
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    all this talk of dolphins makes me want to eat a scrumptious can of tuna

yeah im bein a dick wanna fight about it?

Al_wat on
    edited May 2010
    also thats a neat song tam :3

mensch-o-matic on
  • Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Untitled-1-6.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQrBwN39LJI

Zombies Tossed My Salad! on
    edited May 2010
    also thats a neat song tam :3

the whole album is good

just, you know

really corny

Tam on
    edited May 2010
    How much would attribute the loss of cultural identity to capitalism as compared to the CCP, though? China indeed has thousands of years of history and culture, but wasn't a lot of that whitewashed in '49 when a new state/national identity was formed, too?

Man that question's beyond me, dude. It would be beyond a lot of people, in fact.

I'd probably argue that it was whitewashed around the time of the Qing Dynasty, which ended a good 40 years before the CCP took power.

The CCP's Cultural Revolution was their last-ditch attempt to try to keep China Chinese. When that slapped them in the face, they realized that they need to adapt and come up with a half-and-half solution.

Being that the foreigners only JUST got kicked out of the country and the entire country was still recovering from the Sino-Japanese War, the Great Leap Forward, and the Cultural Revolution, well, it wasn't a pretty sight.

Vivixenne on
    edited May 2010

Untitled-1-6.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQrBwN39LJI

that wont work on me because that thing has a giant, adorable mouth SO THERE

mensch-o-matic on
    edited May 2010
    I could eat sea food every day, forever.

p-split-king-crab.jpg

I am seriously so hungry right now having just GIS'd crab.

Drew-B on
    edited May 2010
    I could eat sea food every day, forever.

p-split-king-crab.jpg

I am seriously so hungry right now having just GIS'd crab.

yes I concur

Tam on
    edited May 2010
    Since I live a good thousand miles from any ocean, I don't remember the last time I was on a coast where I didn't have sea food for literally every meal.

edit: Then I get back home and it's like, how about some immitation crab slurry, ya loser?

Drew-B on
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    sea food prices are going to skyrocket soon apparently

unless you like the taste of sweet, sweet crude

Al_wat on
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Al_wat wrote: »

value-add

Brolo on
    edited May 2010
    Wait really? The oil spill is what, like .001% of the total ocean's surface area? I mean, I know it's all kinds of horrible as far as situations go, but I didn't think it would affect sea food prices all that much.

Drew-B on
    edited May 2010
    Al_wat wrote: »

where are you even getting this from

Vivixenne on
    edited May 2010
    Wait really? The oil spill is what, like .001% of the total ocean's surface area? I mean, I know it's all kinds of horrible as far as situations go, but I didn't think it would affect sea food prices all that much.

yeah especially when the lots of seafood comes from seafood farms

Vivixenne on