As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

IT'S ALIVE

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    How many times did he vomit on your vagina?

Blake T on
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    it is very weird that you ask that about my ex, you realize

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    dude ate hot pockets and pizza and burgers his whole life

eats a thing of rice with vegetables and he's all "I don't think I can do this I kinda wanna throw up"

does the same thing when my friends invite us to dinner and it's pork chops and veggies

and I'm all

are you fucking serious

then I stayed with him for 6 more months before I called it off

stupid Vivienne

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    Drew-BDrew-B Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Those are incredibly 'safe' foods to be grossed out by...

Drew-B on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    YEAH

I KNOW

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Going to light a fire with a snap of my fingers

Gumpy on
  • Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm designing a custom strain of bacteria that I can put in a lake in Arizona. It will take in trash and spit out oil and metal. This is what I have so far:
    GTAAC-GCTAA-ACGTG

jackal on
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Macera wrote: »
    I'm not that worried about the ethical implications of this. We've been breeding animals and plants into warped, unnatural forms for centuries.

Those kitties in glass jars.

hahahaha

:^:

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    jackal wrote: »
    I'm designing a custom strain of bacteria that I can put in a lake in Arizona. It will take in trash and spit out oil and metal. This is what I have so far:
    GTAAC-GCTAA-ACGTG

why would you split them up into groups of 5?

jaziek on
    Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    jaziek wrote: »
    jackal wrote: »
    GTAAC-GCTAA-ACGTG

why would you split them up into groups of 5?

Man, I aint no fancy smancy genetic engineer. I'm doing this is my basement. I'll split up my base pairs however I want.

jackal on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    pasta with tuna is the food of poor gods

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    They have an interview on bbc.co.uk with Venter, and the woman leans forward to indicate that she's a hard-charging anchor asking the tough questions and asks "Let's get this out of the way right away - Are you playing God" and first off, Venter gives her a look that says "That is the stupidest possible question" and then rattles off a whole thing about ethical studies performed over a decade and how it's basically all already been decided that this is ok and etc etc without really dignifying her question with a real answer.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    NotACrook wrote: »
    They have an interview on bbc.co.uk with Venter, and the woman leans forward to indicate that she's a hard-charging anchor asking the tough questions and asks "Let's get this out of the way right away - Are you playing God" and first off, Venter gives her a look that says "That is the stupidest possible question" and then rattles off a whole thing about ethical studies performed over a decade and how it's basically all already been decided that this is ok and etc etc without really dignifying her question with a real answer.
    While this is certainly the better way to handle it, the spiteful dick in me would love for him to have leaned forward, said "Yes", then crossed his arms and sat back with a :smugface:

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Houk wrote: »
    While this is certainly the better way to handle it, the spiteful dick in me would love for him to have leaned forward, said "Yes", then crossed his arms and sat back with a :smugface:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqeC3BPYTmE

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Life for humans will be so much nicer when ever single meaningful scientific advancement doesn't have to be framed in terms of mythology.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    No one ever accuses me of playing god. Must be because all of my creations die or spontaneously combust... wait, that's exactly like playing god!

jackal on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2010
    Rolo wrote: »
    Dubh wrote: »
    is there any work of science fiction where playing God turns out to be pretty okay?

You're only 'playing god' when something goes horribly wrong.

The rest of the time you're curing cancer.

way late on this, but I saw NaS tweet this and I love you Rolo :^:

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Rolo wrote: »
    Dubh wrote: »
    is there any work of science fiction where playing God turns out to be pretty okay?

You're only 'playing god' when something goes horribly wrong.

The rest of the time you're curing cancer.

I would call curing cancer playing God

you on the other hand..

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Tam wrote: »
    what this thread needs

is optimistic vaguely ethnic vocals

thus, I demand you all listen to this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3js4WQKdqE

Just wanted to say I like this a lot, thanks for sharing.

Makes me want to play Civ IV really really badly.

Endomatic on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Life for humans will be so much nicer when ever single meaningful scientific advancement doesn't have to be framed in terms of mythology.

:^:

Usagi on
  • Options
    MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    WWZR (What Would Zeus Research)

Meissnerd on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    AoR_Final wrote: »
    Anjin-San wrote: »
    yeah, we have the ability to extinguish all life a few times over into an unsustainable fucked to death pile of glassed dirt

if it was going to happen it would've already happened a whole shitton of times

If I could lime this any harder, I would.

except his first premise is false

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Well saying "we have the ability to make the earth temporarily unable to sustain the current population of humans and other megafauna..." doesn't sound as good.

jackal on
  • Options
    DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm not sure if this has been up a while, but TED just tweeted about Craig Venter's TED talk on this:

http://www.ted.com/talks/craig_venter_unveils_synthetic_life.html

Darric on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Houk wrote: »

if i ever get to the point where i am asked this question in an interview: I promise you that this will be my response

I am saying it right now, and you can hold me to it.

If, at any point in my scientific career, I am asked if I am "playing god" I will either A. Respond with a smug "yes" or B. Cackle maniacally

Arch on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    The answer is "No, I'm improving humanity with science."

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    no the answer is that yes i am playing god!

Arch on
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    I honestly can't comprehend people who eat good food and it makes them "gag"

like, actually want to vomit

I'm just "it's not the flavour and it's not that it's from a part of the animal that you do not eat, it's that you are psyching yourself out by convincing yourself it's gross even before you've tried it"

and people like that piss me off

it is probably one of the main reasons I broke things off with my ex

I cannot eat steamed carrots, they make me gag, regular carrots are just fine for some reason

Actually I don't really like steamed vegetables at all, give me fresh ones instead

Also the smell of fried mushrooms is probably the only scent that has ever pushed me to the brink of throwing up

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    yes I can't wait for the day science runs completely unchecked by ethics

Skull Man on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited May 2010
    i don't think anyone suggested that

and if they did

they are a silly goose

bongi on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Skull Man wrote: »
    yes I can't wait for the day science runs completely unchecked by ethics

you and me both!

.......wait that was sarcasm on your part

...i too...was kidding....

Arch on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited May 2010
    i'm not actually even sure what that sentence could possibly mean

bongi on
  • Options
    GameGrrlGameGrrl Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    god this shit freaks me out

like there are some lines that we weren't meant to cross, and this is definitely one of them

this kind of stuff really should be something that the people get to vote on whether this research continues, since we all have to deal with the consequences when something goes horribly wrong

GameGrrl on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited May 2010
    yeah except that the people not doing the research are the people least educated about what could and couldn't go wrong

bongi on
  • Options
    redheadredhead Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    also "meant to," lol

redhead on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited May 2010
    what if one day someone finds ethical truths down the back of their sofa

and they are like 'damn that's where those got to'

bongi on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    at one point in time
    people thought that fire crossed that line
    fuck those people
    these lines are arbitrarily set by members of a group of people either too stupid or too ignorant to see the necessity for progress.
    Of course this doesn't mean any risks should be ignored.
    But please.
    People having to vote on this? Imagine how stupid the average person is, then remember that about a half is dumber. The tyranny of the ass-backwards minority can go suck it.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited May 2010
    "it turns out that the so-called golden rule is actually closer to taupe"

bongi on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    bongi wrote: »
    what if one day someone finds ethical truths down the back of their sofa

and they are like 'damn that's where those got to'

'oh a nickel!'

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited May 2010
    "unfortunately the ethical truth about it being uncool to fuck your relatives got a bit squashed and also has a bunch of fluff stuck to it"

bongi on