As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BSG] Acheron - OOC

EgosEgos Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Critical Failures
acheronlogo.gif

Approximately 3 days Before the Cylon Holocaust

"All of this has happened before, and it will happen again."

Acheron is a small station established approximately 55 years ago on the planet Charon just prior to the Cylon War. Equipped with experimental stealth systems the Station was able to remain miraculously undetected throughout the Cylon War. Since then Acheron has grown into a small company largely in thanks to military spending. The “undetectable” station was deemed an ideal breeding ground to develop new technology. As corporate interests increased, so did the population on Acheron. To accommodate this, a small colony was established on the planet’s surface to cater to long-term occupants and their family’s needs. While the Colonial Fleet still governs the station and it’s encompassing facilities. It has become clear that the corporations now hold great sway.

How this Game Will be Played:
Acheron will use the StoryTeller System as presented in White Wolf's "New World of Darkness" RuleBook. The intent of this game is to allow chararacters to forge their own paths as opposed to being coerced into a situation they find clashes with their character. While there is an over-arching plot to this campaign, player's choice is still drastically important. Regardless of its nature.

The game may be considered RP-Heavy which is a label I do not oppose, but rest assured there will be options for who are more trigger happy.

Special Rules:
  • The Piloting speciality of Driving determines how well you fly a given vessel as well as use its respective weaponry.
  • Characters Begin a bit more experienced than a lowly Ensign. 35 extra XP to be spent during CC.
  • Unseen Sense is no longer supernatural related but vision related
  • A few Weapons and Items have Different Names to better fit the BSG- Verse
INTRODUCING THE CHARACTERS
coolsauce.gif

The Colonel - Hippie
The Lawyer - capfalcon
The Pilot - TheMadjai
The Scientist - romanqwerty
The Soldier - jdarksun

Useful Links and Other Questions

How will private actions being handled
Each player character has access to information that the others do not. No matter how minuscule it may be. If you are acting on this info in private or doing something else you prefer to do away from prying eyes. Either pm what your character is attempting to and/or post on the proboards what your character is attempting to.

Is it possible to be a Cylon Sleeper Agent?

Any player or non-player character has the potential to be a Cylon and not even know it.

What is on Acheron?

Acheron Station itself is somewhat similar to Ragnar Station but much sturdier. To be honest , as silly as it may sound what I had in mind looks very similar to the space elevator art more flight decks and closer in orbit to the ground. Since it has now become a quasi-structure. After the war it was connected to a large support structure, which became base of operations. In many ways the station's cloaking abilities were increased as it easily blended in with the surface of Charon. Oddly. The station has an abundant number of raptors , vipers and a few experimental stealthstars. The most powerful vessel at the Colony's disposal is the Vanguard Type A Star Cruiser the "Icarus". Except for the odd patrol, most of the time vessels are docked. In order to save fuel. The Helena (Class A Cruiser) serves as military transportation on and off the Colony.

The station is the only structure that emerges from outside the carbon dome surrounding the colony.

From the desk of Victor Mills, a sketch of Acheron's core stealth system circa the Cylon War by Dr. Hieroynmous West
stealths3hield.jpg

The Colony of Acheron is around the size of a small town. The best way to describe the Colony would be to take all the major corporate complexes together and have their park areas meet in the center to form their version of Central Park. In essence its a bit similar to these pictures of Caprica : 1 and2 . The early corporations installed a dome over the colony that helped strengthen the stealth systems. At the same time it allowed artificial weather, which was welcome compared to the red arid wasteland that is most of Charon.

Housing - Most long term visitors on Archeon stay in town home like structures. Very few apartment complexes exist, the only one that does is one that comes close to rivaling the Archeon Station itself in height. The building is meant to impress ; its purpose largely to hold frivolous board meetings and provide VIP's with lovely suites.

Research Facility A- Research facility A is a substructure of a larger research facility. The details of the experiments that occur within are extremely confidential. Unlike Research Station B , it doesn't appear as if any research occurs outdoors.

Research Facility B- A large rectangular station joined at the hip with facility A. Many of the soldiers come to watch as scientists experiment in the field space given to them. Obviously military funded, this station specializes in large scale sentries as well as patrolling sentries. Meant to do what the cylons could do without the messy consciousness bit.

Selenco- An Atlantis inspired resort/hotel . Selenco is owned by a rather eclectic owner who has made it his duty to capture and exhibit the rarest sea life available... Apparently the Corporate Higher Up's pay warranted to a long term stay. In many ways it is similar to Cloud Nine, except combined with a posh bar and tons of diving space.

Town Center- A number of statues liter Archeon. From the first director of the Station, Abigail Hook to a number of ancient philosophers. The colony is somewhat odd in its lack of absolute public reverence for the gods.

Shopping- It's not surprising that a few fast food chains would come along with the corporations. However the best food seems to oddly come from the lonely and bored Corporate wife who decides "What the frak" might as well make some grub for the neighbors. As for goods, there is indeed only one large shopping complex. However smugglers are not uncommon. Often low level employees on a temporary visit will attempt this route.

Arena- Similar to gladiatorial arenas but less brutal and usually ranged combat focused. Notably the ground bares the natural soil of Charon said to be blessed by Ares.

PERSONNEL
*Note: This list is not all inclusive. Other characters may show up later in the Campaign (on or off the Station).

Order of Power

Colonial Fleet:
colofleet.png

Colonial Marine Corps
acheronmarines.png

Janus Corporation
januescor.png

I<<<<<<<<< Themes and Alterations >>>>>>>>>I
Acheron takes place in an alternative version of the BattleStar Galactica universe as established by RDM. Some changes are rather insignificant while others affect the nature of the story rather drastically.

It could be argued the ultimate message of BSG is pertaining to that of human folly in all guises (even robotic ones) and a willingness to accept that and move onward- so you can forgive yourself and others.

This story takes a somewhat different approach. Cylons are no longer beings with more humanity than anyone realizes, instead they will remain the enigmatic force as presented in Season 1 and 2. This isn’t to say Cylons are all alike or that they are incapable of human emotion. It is to say that it is more nebulous. Are the tears shed out of actual despair or a mere facade with no conscious mechanism governing it? As seen with Sharon Valerii this can lead to very tragic figures.

Similarly the Colonists goals in the wake of the Cylon attack aren’t as simple as to seek Earth. In part this is because the Cylon destruction of the Colonies isn’t as utter and absolute as presented in the series. Gaius Baltar’s unintentional betrayal still occurred, but the Colonies aren’t nearly as unified as in the series. And as such the CNP isn’t as widely embraced.

Paranoia and borderline antagonistic relationships with the Colonial Government centered in Caprica, may lead to some interesting developments post attack.

What this basically amounts to is that the Cylons are correct in their assessment of humanity as war mongering; an issue that doesn’t seem to have much validity in the series as the Colonies are largely unified and have gone a good 90 or so years without an actual “war”.

Even though it is mentioned in the mini-series that the fleet was redeployed to deal with mundane threats. A larger focus is placed on the Fleet’s status as a symbol of the “Colonial” Government’s dominance over the Colonies.

IC Thread
Character Links

Egos on

• CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I am interested, but, alas, I do not have the Storytelling system.

One thing I'm interested in is how cooperative are the players supposed to be? Obviously some head butting is expected because no one agrees all the time, but would people who never like each other and always disagree be allowed or even expected?

Also, is there going to be a system for the morale and such for the fleet, or will that be more handwaved?

Capfalcon on
  • TheMadjaiTheMadjai Sir Madjai of SanSan MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Madjai would be interested, given a primer on the ST system.

TheMadjai on
    "Yeah, TheMadjai knows whats up." --Lardalish

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    Android: Netrunner, Warhammer: Conquest, Star Realms
  • EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Capfalcon wrote: »

One thing I'm interested in is how cooperative are the players supposed to be? Obviously some head butting is expected because no one agrees all the time, but would people who never like each other and always disagree be allowed or even expected?

Considering the nature of the show , it would be slightly expected. Especially on political and personal level. Granted it would be rather hard to manage several Gaius Baltars or Tom Zareks; each with their own agenda. But if the character is interesting enough, I wouldn't necessarily oppose it.

This isn't to say I want people to be actively oppositional just for the sake of it, but I want people to play the characters they believe in. So if it means opposing Adama or working together thats fine; as long as it makes sense.
    Also, is there going to be a system for the morale and such for the fleet, or will that be more handwaved?

More handwaved. Although the player's actions will have an obvious impact for better or worst.

Also I'd be willing to send/write up a primer to people in need.

Egos on
  • CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Egos wrote: »
    Also I'd be willing to send/write up a primer to people in need.

Yes, please.

So, all of the characters from the show will be there, or will we be replacing the big guns?

Capfalcon on
    edited May 2010
    Capfalcon wrote: »
    So, all of the characters from the show will be there, or will we be replacing the big guns?

Idea would be the big guns who existed at the beginning of the mini-series will all be around.

Though if the people who are playing prefer, we could have a new cast. I would assume people would want to interact with Starbuck and the like. (Granted there are only 2 people interested right now)

Egos on
  • HylianbunnyHylianbunny Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I've got the Cortex system and would prefer that but will go with whatever we're going with. Will need a primer on the ST system for this.

Probably a Viper pilot, and one that I won't put too much heart and soul into considering how expendable they are.

Hylianbunny on
  • romanqwertyromanqwerty Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I may potentially be interested, depending on exactly what the ST system is, and how the game is handled.

romanqwerty on
  • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I would be highly interested, and was in the very brief BSG RPG earlier that never really got started... Except that I just got into two PbP RPGs, so can't really do it right now :(

El Skid on
    edited May 2010
    I may potentially be interested, depending on exactly what the ST system is, and how the game is handled.

Storyteller System . I'm guessing you ran into it and just weren't use to the abbreviation.

hylian: In terms of "players being killed off" the odds are rather unlikely; odds are unless you are really stupid or do get really really unlucky , you won't die. This isn't gonna be like CoC. I'll take a bit of a closer look at the "official rpg" and see what I think again.

El Skid: I don't really mind if you think you can pull it off... the game isn't gonna start immediately. I still need to figure out the rules (I may take a little from the official rpg) , so you wouldn't have to crank out a character right away.

Egos on
    edited May 2010
    Oh wait! I just remembered I got a free PDF of the WoD system on Free RPG day!

Now I have an excuse to crack it open!

Capfalcon on
    edited May 2010
    Thanks for the link, Egos. It turns out ST is easy.
    /signup

TheMadjai on

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    edited May 2010
    So I suppose this begs several questions for those that are interested

1.Would you like there to be a possibility you are a cylon?
    I would not do this unless I thought it was beneficial to the story. Or if the player is strongly opposed.

2.Would you rather have the original crew or new characters?
    I was going to do new characters + original crew, but am curious if you guys prefer more of a "Pegasus"-esque route; where nothing is predictable.

3.What kind of character would you be looking to play?

I'm generally not opposed to a wide variety of character mindsets.
    hell you could be a cylon sympathizer.. although this early in the series it wouldn't make much sense.

Egos on
    edited May 2010
    Also if you are curious about what events would be changed , here is a rather extensive scoop
    warning: do not read unless you have watched the entire series
    Relationships: My plan is for players to involve themselves and influence the relationships of other characters. Whether this means friendship or something else. Obviously if it goes into romance, this won't turn into X-rated stuff ; but it will be implied. Granted this won't necessarily be easy. As it stands , the characters are in the following relationships at the start of the campaign

Adama- single (no feelings for Roslin yet)
    Roslin - single
    Baltar- single
    Starbuck- single (only romance was with Zach Adama thus far)
    Lee Adama- single
    Helo - (very likely to become involved with Athena)
    Boomer- involved with Tyrol
    Tyrol- involved with Boomer
    Jammer-single
    Tigh - single (Helen may or may not appear)
    Gaeta- likely in a relationship with Hoshi
    Racetrack- single
    Cally- single
    Crashdown- single
    Romo- single

Cylons - It is very likely the core 7 will remain the same. This means Boomer, Cavil, Leoben, Simon, D'Anna, Doral, and Six. Daniel may or may not exist. The final five plot line will be drastically altered
    so don't count on Anders, Tigh, Tory (bleh), and Helen cylons

Key Events : Likely and Un-Likely to happen
    Kobol Saga: likely
    New Caprica: easily averted (unlikely)
    Pegasus or other survivor ship: likely
    Earth turning out to be what it did: unlikely
    Uprising: possible ;-)

Egos on
    edited May 2010
    1: Yes.

2: Personally, i'd prefer new characters but a mix of new and old characters would probably be just as good. Not fussed really as long as it doesn't progress exactly like the show does.

3: Some form of scientist stationed aboard the Pegasus as a researcher/scientific advisor.

romanqwerty on
    edited May 2010
    1. Yes.
    2. I really wouldn't mind having the some of the same characters, but I'm really against having all the same people.
    3. I'm still waffling a bit. I think a regular guy tossed in over his head (well, more than everyone else, anyway) would be fun. He'd have to have some special talent to make him PC caliber, but I'm going to look somemore at the ST system to make something I like.

Capfalcon on
    edited May 2010
    hmm ok I'll try and have guidelines up in the next few days..

There will definitely be new characters , its an issue of if we want to see the old crew. There is potential we could have another surviving BattleStar. E.g. Valkyrie, Erasmus or Triton.

If you guys want a rather clean start.

If you've seen the entire series, here is how I was currently thinking of handling the established cast

Key
    • Characters I would Keep Regardless Unless we are Doing a Entirely New Cast
    • Characters who I would likely keep but may not if a Mostly New Cast is Wanted
    • Characters I'm not Particularly Inclined to Keep but May Retool
    • Characters I'd like to Keep but I think Need to be Altered
    • Characters I could see being more interesting if Reimagined

Baltar, Tigh, Cain, Zarek, and Starbuck (hell we can probably throw in Cottle)

Adama, Lee, Helo, Lampkin, Boomer, Roslin, RaceTrack + Other sidies, Gaeta

Tory, Helen, and Anders

Six, Cavil, Simon, Leoben, Doral is give or take, and D'Anna

Boomer, Adama, Lee, and Roslin

Egos on
    edited May 2010
    Sidenote: If we went with Valkyrie , Triton or Erasmus. I would probably place you guys under a much different type of leader than Cain or Adama.

I would imagine a Lance Henriksen type individual, very steadfast in his duties. But more focused on why and how things happened as opposed to "kill everything in your sights" Cain or "We have to Survive No Matter What" Adama.

Surely there would be those on board with more similar mentalities to Cain or Adama which may cause friction...

Egos on
    edited May 2010
    1) Absolutely, yes. 100%. Maybe even starting as one?

2) I would like to play a non-canon character, but would like to interact with canon characters. We know so little about the crew of Pegasus, maybe we could be them?

3) Either a Viper jock or a politician who doesn't mind getting his hands dirty. (Think a mix between Tom Zarek and Lampkin.)

TheMadjai on

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    edited May 2010
    TheMadjai wrote: »
    2) I would like to play a non-canon character, but would like to interact with canon characters. We know so little about the crew of Pegasus, maybe we could be them?

The plan was for everyone to create a unique character..in case there was any confusion. :mrgreen:

The problem with the Pegasus crew is that..it assumes
    you would put up with the shit Cain had going and wouldn't have done anything O_O

Egos on
    edited May 2010
    Egos wrote: »
    The problem with the Pegasus crew is that..it assumes
    you would put up with the shit Cain had going and wouldn't have done anything O_O
    Maybe we weren't in a position to, rank-wise? Until we met up with Galactica and now have access to like-minded personnel?

TheMadjai on

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    edited May 2010
    I'm generally more in favor of your character having a say in things regardless...so it would probably have to play out at the beginning of Razor. If people really want Pegasus.

This is to say I don't like the idea of "untouchables" who are guiding the story along so to speak (e.g. you don't have to bow to Adama if you don't want to).

Egos on
    edited May 2010
    Fair enough. I was just thinking out loud.

TheMadjai on

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    edited May 2010
    TheMadjai wrote: »
    Fair enough. I was just thinking out loud.

Its fine :mrgreen:

Its just
    allowing continued gang rape of prisoners and killing the one good man on the ship would require a great deal of ...tool-age as we saw from most of the Pegasus crew. Or else enslavement (via Laird) or cowardice (Fisk).

Egos on
    edited May 2010
    Also- the spoilers here bring up a question. How spoiler-free are we going to keep this? I mean... do I need to avoid making jokes about
    Tigh and Six?

TheMadjai on

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    edited May 2010
    We should probably figure out how much people who are playing have watched :)

The game itself won't get too spoilery since it will follow a different path.

Egos on
    edited May 2010
    Seen it all, so no worries about me.

Also, upon thinking about it, a new Battlestar and civilian fleet would be pretty neat. However, I wouldn't mind a few Expys of the characters, though. Especially Baltar, because he's awesome.

Anyway, I'm thinking about making a lawyer from Libran who specializes in negotiations. He's in his mid thirties, with light brown hair. A bit overweight due to his inactive job, he can still strike an imposing figure in a suit. He has started to notice the increase in his waist and is a little sensitive about it.

Currently, he was on his way to another low-profile, low-importance case involving the mediation of a teacher strike for a small Caprician school district. While he's very good at his job, he made the wrong enemies in his firm. Not nearly as good as his rivals at that whole politicking thing. So, when everything goes boom, him and his small law library end up being one of the few people in the fleet with legal experience.

On a more personal note, he was on good terms with both of his parents, who were retired back on Libran. Recently, his sister left to go to college on Caprica, and she had rather suddenly fallen out of contact with the rest of the family. While he was on Caprica, he had intended to try and find out what had happened, but... well, things came up. Like the near annihilation of the human race, for starters.

My initial sketch of his sheet is something like:

Mental
    Attributes:
    Intelligence: 2
    Wits: 3
    Resolve: 2

Skills
    Academics [Law]: 2
    Computer: 1
    Investigation: 2
    Politics: 2

Physical
    Attributes:
    Strength: 2
    Dexterity: 2
    Stamina: 2

Skills
    Athletics: 2
    Brawl: 1
    Stealth: 1

Social
    Attributes:
    Presence: 2
    Manipulation: 3
    Composure: 3

Skills
    Empathy [Motives]: 3
    Intimidate: 2
    Persuasion [Ombudsman]: 3
    Socialize: 1
    Subterfuge: 2

Defense: 2
    Health: 7
    Initiative: 5
    Morality: 7
    Size 5
    Speed: 9
    Willpower: 5

Virtue: Justice
    Vice: Pride

Merits:
    Natural Immunity (*)
    Toxin Resistance (**)

The remaining four points of merits I wanted to spend on some social merits, but I'm not too sure what I should try and go for, what with the recent apocalypse.

Capfalcon on
    edited May 2010
    I've watched it all(including the miniseries) except the very last handful(4-5) of episodes.

romanqwerty on
  • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I've just compulsively played the boardgame + expansion...Never seen an episode in my life.

I'm also compulsive about RPGs though, so if you're in dire need of a character I'll consider making one (or slightly modifying the one I made for last game), despite being in too many games as-is.

El Skid on
    edited May 2010
    ok so voting time for scenario

A) BattleStar Triton

B) BattleStar Pegasus

C) absorbed by Galactica

D) Stranded on a Space Research Station of sorts

in order of preference

Egos on
    edited May 2010
    A
    C
    D
    B

I'm not seeing much for me to do with Pegasus.
    what with them saying "Screw the civilians, we have guns."

Also, anyone have ideas for the merits? Because I'm rather inexperienced with ST.

Capfalcon on
  • HylianbunnyHylianbunny Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    C (absorbed by Galactica)
    A (Triton)
    D (Station)
    B (Pegasus)

Still going to need that primer but I'll see what I can do regardless.

Hylianbunny on
    edited May 2010
    Still going to need that primer but I'll see what I can do regardless.

At the moment, I'm more interested in background and personality type versus stats. I'll have something posted relatively shortly. In the meantime, the Battlestar Wiki has a decent write up of the planets. So one can pick a homeworld and the like....

Egos on
    edited May 2010
    holy shit, research station? YES PLEASE!!

D
    A
    C
    B

Do you want more character info from me?

romanqwerty on
  • HippieHippie Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Damn, looks like i'm too late to the party again :P

Hippie on
    edited May 2010
    Hippie its gonna be a fairly talky game. I'll have to see what characters are whipped up, but if you don't mind playing someone in a Gaeta, Dee, or even XO capacity. It could work, regardless.

Granted if you wanted to do that.

Egos on
    edited May 2010
    What, you don't think I can do talky..?

I was going suggest something completely random like the ships cook, but I love me some XO'ing.

But yeah, only if there is space, don't want to crowd things, etc etc.

Hippie on
    edited May 2010
    A
    C
    D
    B

Andrew Arkanian will come from Picon, and depending on what the group needs will either be a charismatic man-of-the-people leader/strategician or a cold-blooded viper pilot.

TheMadjai on

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    edited May 2010
    Hippie wrote: »
    What, you don't think I can do talky..?

I was going suggest something completely random like the ships cook, but I love me some XO'ing.

Hahaha, Hippie its not that. A cook would be fine. I meant that juggling 7 players (or a large number) in combat would be hard , but if you had a character who was mainly around for the dialog or whose main focus is non-combative. It would be easier.

Egos on
    edited May 2010
    By non-combative, you mean not 'rolling dice' combat-wise? Would be a welcome change to be honest.

And just for giggles, here would be my scenario preference:

D - I think the station idea would be amazing!
    C
    A
    B

But again, I dont want to crowd things for ya, if you'd rather I sit out I don't mind.

Hippie on
    edited May 2010
    I think the only thing that I don't like about the station idea is how static it is. Cylon attacks would be non-existent, because once they found us, they'd just keep sending ships until we died. I like the idea of fighting, running, hiding, raiding, fighting, running, lather, rinse, repeating.

TheMadjai on

CURRENTLY PLAYING: