As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

But then [Mass Effect] began to smell my greatness!

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, the private bathroom is hidden pretty well. I didn't find it until my fourth playthrough.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Mass effect fields are to lighten the mass of a ship so that conventional thrusters can propell it more efficiently/into ftl.

They dont use mass effect fields to hover and move and other nonsense.

Buttcleft on
  • TracerBulletTracerBullet Spaceman Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    -Tal wrote: »
    i like Jacob now

he's the only romance that makes Shepard talk about herself for a change

I really want to make a femshepard...but I don't like default ME2 Shepard, I just don't know if I can do ME1 for a second time, even though ME2 has me on a 2nd playthrough already

TracerBullet on
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    what's wrong with default Shep

she did everything right

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
    edited May 2010
    -Tal wrote: »
    i like Jacob now

he's the only romance that makes Shepard talk about herself for a change

I really want to make a femshepard...but I don't like default ME2 Shepard, I just don't know if I can do ME1 for a second time, even though ME2 has me on a 2nd playthrough already

Wait...you never made a femshep in ME1? Man, you missed out.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I can only imagine how Shepard felt when he finally discovered his private bathroom.

All those midnight runs down to the public men's room...

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Having to be told by EDI he was in the women's room...

Orca on
    edited May 2010
    Orca wrote: »
    Having to be told by EDI he was in the women's room...

Being second guessed on his own ship, by his own ship

TracerBullet on
    edited May 2010
    This is why Shepard doesn't want an AI on his ship.

Orca on
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Because he is a woman trapped in a mans body?

Buttcleft on
    edited May 2010
    Buttcleft wrote: »

Because he is a woman trapped in a mans body?

Have you seen him dance?

TracerBullet on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I really hope they bring back the ME1 Shepard dance.

ME2 dance made him/her look like a tool.

ME1 dance made him/her look stupid...stupid awesome.

Dragkonias on
    edited May 2010
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I really hope they bring back the ME1 Shepard dance.

ME2 dance made him/her look like a tool.

ME1 dance made him/her look stupid...stupid awesome.

Shepard's Biography vid will be aptly titled

"Dance like it Hurts"

TracerBullet on
    edited May 2010
    ME3 Shepard needs to breakdance.

Orca on
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Soldiers slow-mo dance
    Adepts have a singularity mosh pit
    Engineers tango with their combat drone
    Infiltrators swing others while cloaked
    Vanguards charge across the dance floor
    Sentinels sit in the bathroom and cry

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Ad astraAd astra Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Cerberus spent four billion credits on him, and they couldn't improve his rhythm.

Ad astra on
  • mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Final boss battle should be a danceoff.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Late at night, most of the crew's asleep...when suddenly, EDI's voice cuts through the silence on all decks.

"Shepard, the men's restroom is on the port side of the ship."

EDI screws up all of Shepard's perverted nighttime shenanigans.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
    edited May 2010
    The real question is: Why does Kelly keep lying to me about my mail?

This mutiny must be punished.

TracerBullet on
  • GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Should I put any points in Cryo Ammo? Disruptor and Incendiary have served me well so far (I've recruited pretty much everyone).

Also, is it better to get Squad ammo powers, or the more powerful ammo for just Shepard?

Graviija on
    edited May 2010
    Graviija wrote: »
    Should I put any points in Cryo Ammo? Disruptor and Incendiary have served me well so far (I've recruited pretty much everyone).

Also, is it better to get Squad ammo powers, or the more powerful ammo for just Shepard?

Squad Cryo-Ammo is awesome, just because you can activate it for your team, then switch to a different non-squad evolved ammo power for yourself

TracerBullet on
    edited May 2010
    Pssh I just use the infinite points glitch and max everything.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I can't use the glitch anymore because I updated.

But I already played through the game about 6 times so it's cool.

Dragkonias on
    edited May 2010
    That glitch sounded tremendously tedious to use.

Almost as tedious as scanning for minerals.

Orca on
    edited May 2010
    Not really. It takes like...10 seconds.

Dragkonias on
    edited May 2010
    I just wait til I have 10? points, press x + a together when ready to evolve and I get them back. Not hard at all.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Bioware need to add a dancing minigame to ME3. Or you know...as DLC.

I want to hit buttons in tune with beats to have Shepard get down.

electricitylikesme on
  • KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I just finished my first run (completed every quest, I think) on PC as an Eartborn survivor engineer with a goody-two-shoes streak to give Bono a run for his money.

This game was awesome. Asides from a couple UI issues, this was great. Every time I thought the game was getting weak, it'd throw something completely amazing at me like
    Rachni or tracking Cerberus agents
    . The environments were all beautifully crafted, silly mountain-planets aside, I found myself to be quite enamored with places like Ilos. Ilos was absolutely beautiful. I kept finding myself surprised when I'd end up wrapped up in a conversation, genuinely interested in what was being said, who was saying it and the entire amtosphere of just the conversation. Music was, of course, top notch. It always added to the feeling and emotion of the game, and was just pretty cool, reminded me a lot of 90's sci-fi games for some reason. I can't wait to go back and run a renegade biotic.

Also, screw BioWare. Screw them.
    How do they expect me to chose between Alenko or Williams!?! Assholes! I had just started viewing the two of them as something more than props on my ship! Why not let me sacrifice Tali? She's useless. I don't need Tali. I actually had to redo that scene a number of times because I kept feeling like I had done it wrong. There just had to be a way. I had to save them both. Ah, that was a good moment.

I loved that there were choices I found myself unable to make, fairly often. I also liked they let me go "no, screw it, you decide" for some choices. I used that one every time. I still don't feel right about the couple times I made a choice, always had to remember that my Sheppard was a utilitarian and in it for the long haul.

Question, though. Whats the point of tech allies? In KOTOR/II you could switch between characters, so you could take advantage of a tech-based or healing-based or whathaveyou character, but in Mass Effect you're stuck with yourself. I was originally taking Tali with me, but she's totally useless I found. Same goes for Garrus, I guess, since I can just as easily take Alenko for biotic support or Wrex because he's cool.

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    If you played an Engineer, then of course the Tech characters are less useful for you in ME1.

DarkPrimus on
  • Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Klash has the right idea with sacrificing Tali

Feels Good Man on
    edited May 2010
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    If you played an Engineer, then of course the Tech characters are less useful for you in ME1.

Oh, I know. What I was asking, or meant to ask, was how do I use tech allies? Or am I completely misunderstanding what tech is in Mass Effect? I thought it had relationship to hacking and such. Meaning, if I was, say, a straight-fighter character, I'd be unable to hack/bust open containers beyond a certain level.

In such a case, to what end are tech allies useful? If at all? As I said, in my previous BioWare experience, tech characters were required to actually do things. Which is why I always go tech type characters in RPGs of any variety. Being a tech type guarantees full access to all the content. Whether you can handle the baddies or thingamajiggers is irrelevant, you can access 'em.

Also, the Hack skill is good times. The entire Geth race is susceptible to it. Good times.

Klash on
    edited May 2010
    Klash wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Oh, I know. What I was asking, or meant to ask, was how do I use tech allies? Or am I completely misunderstanding what tech is in Mass Effect? I thought it had relationship to hacking and such. Meaning, if I was, say, a straight-fighter character, I'd be unable to hack/bust open containers beyond a certain level.

That bolded statement is correct. If Shepard does not have the proper tech skills, he/she cannot hack electronics or salvage probes without a party member who has those skills.

EDIT: In ME2, however, Shepard can do all the hacking and bypassing.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
    edited May 2010
    Ok, so as a pure biotic character (my next play through), I'll need to have Tali to open certain things. When I go up to these things, will it automatically work, or is there a switch-party-member option I didn't notice?

With KOTOR, you had to actually change who you were controlling to use their given traits.

Which is something I want to address: Mass Effect is brilliant for one important reason. Hybrid classes. I'm quite pleased to see I can be one thing without cutting off something else.

Edit: I also don't have Pinnacle Station. I'm assuming I'm not missing much? It sounds cool, but not important.

Klash on
    edited May 2010
    EDIT: CURSE YOU, TOP OF PAGE!
    Ok, so as a pure biotic character (my next play through), I'll need to have Tali to open certain things. When I go up to these things, will it automatically work, or is there a switch-party-member option I didn't notice?

With KOTOR, you had to actually change who you were controlling to use their given traits.

Which is something I want to address: Mass Effect is brilliant for one important reason. Hybrid classes. I'm quite pleased to see I can be one thing without cutting off something else.

Edit: I also don't have Pinnacle Station. I'm assuming I'm not missing much? It sounds cool, but not important.

You can't switch characters, so it just automatically works as long as there's a character with the proper skills in the party. Also, Adept is a good choice. Throwing Singularities around is a lot of fun.

And...uh...don't buy Pinnacle Station. Trust me. It's not important and not fun.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
    edited May 2010
    Alright, that solves that mystery. Guess I won't need Liara next run, anyways, since I'll be be biotic. Maybe Tali isn't the useless lay about I thought she was. Also, I guess Alenko gets to eat it next time around, because I'm gonna need a fighter. Thanks for clearing that up.

More praise for this game, I forgot to mention earlier. The morality system is great. It was a nice change to have a pre-defined character to role play as, with a morality system that wasn't good/evil. The fact that it wasn't a single sliding scale, and that one para/rene action you did at the very beginning stays with you the entire game was great. For once, I felt like my choices weren't some pisstake of real morality and were choices based off what I, or any real person, would make. None of that "FREE THE SLAVES" vs "EAT THEIR LIVERS" nonsense. Well, there was sort of that, but it didn't feel that flimsy.

Klash on
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    and in the second game, it's even better - you really get a sense that your eventual paragon/renegade score is based on a lot of smaller decisions and responses, not a few major major choices

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
    edited May 2010
    It's also much easier to have a "balanced" morality in ME2. In ME1, I had to rely on the alignment-point glitch to effectively be both Paragon and Renegade or I'd waste a ton of points on those two talents; in ME2, I'll never be able to max Paragon or Renegade by being balanced, but I don't need to. I always have a high enough rating to choose whichever path I want.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
    edited May 2010
    You'll also be amply rewarded for your choices in ME1 with callbacks and references.

Don't read the following unless you don't mind some disappointment once you start ME2:
    Most of the really big choices don't matter too much. It's enough that it feels like a decent veneer the first time around, but subsequent playthroughs will indicate that the veneer is pretty thin.

Orca on
  • Ad astraAd astra Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Alright, that solves that mystery. Guess I won't need Liara next run, anyways, since I'll be be biotic. Maybe Tali isn't the useless lay about I thought she was. Also, I guess Alenko gets to eat it next time around, because I'm gonna need a fighter. Thanks for clearing that up.

I don't know what version of ME1 you were playing that made you think Tali is useless, because when I had her almost fully upgraded she was ridiculously powerful.

I generally had a squad comprised of her and wrex, and we tore shit up left and right.

Ad astra on
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Ad astra wrote: »

I don't know what version of ME1 you were playing that made you think Tali is useless, because when I had her almost fully upgraded she was ridiculously powerful.

I generally had a squad comprised of her and wrex, and we tore shit up left and right.

Also in ME1 there are Geth everywhere and she has AI hacking.

electricitylikesme on