As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mass Effect]: 4 months in, feeling old yet?

Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
edited June 2010 in Games and Technology
Shamelessly stolen from Dox the PI<
You better believe it!

MASS EFFECT MOVIE IS HAPPENING NEIL BLOMKAMP PL0X

In the Mass Effect universe everybody is so nice and dresses so well
monocleeffect.jpg
k6IUh.jpg
Skybox issues rock.

Kasumi is out, and she rocks: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/kasumi-trailer-mass-effect/63466?type=flv

Even the robot butler!

Legion___Back_in_the_day_____by_InsidiousSquid.png

LET THERE BE ALT COSTUMES!:
rubb5t.jpg

Masseffectlogo.png
Wiki wrote:
Mass Effect is an award-winning, bestselling series of science fiction RPG third person shooters developed by the Canadian company BioWare and released on the Xbox 360 and Microsoft Windows. The first game takes place in the year 2183, with the player assuming the role of an elite human soldier named Commander Shepard, set out to explore the Galaxy on a starship, the SSV Normandy. The Xbox 360 edition was released worldwide in November 2007 published by Microsoft Game Studios. The Windows edition was released on May 28, 2008, published by Electronic Arts. The first downloadable content package, Bring Down the Sky, was released on March 10, 2008 (with a PC version released on July 29, 2008) The second downloadable content package, Pinnacle Station, was released on August 25, 2009 for the PC and Xbox 360.

AND THE WIKI!

AND MASS EFFECT 2 GUIDE / WALKTHROUGH!

Want to play the class of kings? How to Vanguard 101

Just imagine that every post is being spoken in this tone.Airquotes

And the only true romance: Is that a new hairstyle?

Think Zaeed's a stone cold killer? He's not, and here's proof: Jessie - A Love Story

All aboard the Love Boat with Jacob Taylor: The Prize - Jacob Taylor

Kasanagi's early Christmas present to us; a mod that turns the widow into a fully automatic death machine:
Kasanagi wrote: »

Are you on your second+ game? Stop sweating the small stuff and install this: http://www.masseffectsaves.com/mods/kbo.zip

Dox the PI on

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I believe this:
    Features:
    No startup movies
    Infinite "Storm" AKA Sprint
    Modified Krogun - 6 shot magazine, 24 spare ammo (40 after research upgrade), semi-automatic, high speed ROF.
    Modified Widow - 6 shot magazine, 24 spare ammo, semi-automatic, high speed ROF (same as krogun's).

Just drop this in your Mass Effect 2 install folder under \BioGame\Config\PC\Cooked\ , make sure to backup your current coalesced.ini first, just in

case http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJj0_s6d5kM [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?

v=F4xFFV_uy8I"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4xFFV_uy8I[/URL]!

belongs with Kasanagi's mod so people know what's going on.

Orca on
  • Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    FUUUUU
    I knew I'd forget something.
    EDIT: Of course your the first to post in the new Mass Effect thread :D

Dox the PI on
  • President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm disappointed that Legion is the only one getting the love and that my old picture doesn't get any.

monocleeffect.jpg

...I am less disappointed that Legion looks so awesome in a top hat.

President Rex on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Orca wrote: »
    You'll also be amply rewarded for your choices in ME1 with callbacks and references.

Don't read the following unless you don't mind some disappointment once you start ME2:
    Most of the really big choices don't matter too much. It's enough that it feels like a decent veneer the first time around, but subsequent playthroughs will indicate that the veneer is pretty thin.

I still feel bad about cpl toombs

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2010
    I'm disappointed that Legion is the only one getting the love and that my old picture doesn't get any.

[image]

...I am less disappointed that Legion looks so awesome in a top hat.

Woah, haven't seen that pic in a while

Even have it saved on my PC :P

Dox the PI on
  • Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Quads.

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
    edited May 2010
    AoR_Final wrote: »
    Quads.

Tali Fan-fiction ect. ect.

Dox the PI on
  • RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    It is good to see the tradition being honored.

Robman on
  • SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I like where this thread is going.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
    edited May 2010
    Robman wrote: »
    It is good to see the tradition being honored.

Let us laugh at the hilarity that is the Official Forums!

Dox the PI on
  • EddieDeanEddieDean Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So how 'bouts them new DLCs?

Overlord's announced, a Liara/Shadow Broker DLC is hinted at, and probably more will come to fill the gap.

We're likely to see three more alternate appearance packs, and I'm hoping the rest of the pre-order bonus weapons and armour in little packs just like Equaliser.

EddieDean on
    edited May 2010
    EddieDean wrote: »
    So how 'bouts them new DLCs?

Overlord's announced, a Liara/Shadow Broker DLC is hinted at, and probably more will come to fill the gap.

We're likely to see three more alternate appearance packs, and I'm hoping the rest of the pre-order bonus weapons and armour in little packs just like Equaliser.

Overlord will be a buy for me
    If the La/SB thing turns out to be true I'll get that too

Appearance packs : not for me.

EDIT: Unless it's a top hat and monocle for the whole crew

Dox the PI on
  • evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I finally got around to starting a vanguard game. So fucking awesome.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

edited May 2010
    evilbob wrote: »
    I finally got around to starting a vanguard game. So fucking awesome.

It took you this long
    Heavy charge ect ct
    this long

Dox the PI on
  • SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I keep screwing up with charge. I think I'll have my male Shep be a soldier.

edit- Also, I thought the thread was going to be "8 Mating Requests for Grunt and 1 for [Mass Effect]"? Or does that not fit?

Skeith on
    aTBDrQE.jpg
  • envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Let the hate being.

The Vanguard is not the best class.

There. I said it. Charging is fun when you're upgraded. But boy is it not fun when you're not. I finished my canon vanguard run (remained faithful to Liara). Yeah, I charged the frickin colossus (on hard-core only though, so doesn't really count), I charged scions, ymirs, I charged around every frickin room in the galaxy, exept where level design didn't allow it (and why, for the love of the goddess would charge only work half the time on the stupid husks???).

Still didn't enjoy as much as the engineer or adept insanity runs. Sorry Orca. Peer pressure won't make me love the vanguard. Interestingly enough I died most doing the Aria bonus mission with the four YMIRs guarding the loot - turns out charging one YMIR after another doesn't always work as it should.

envoy1 on
  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    envoy1 wrote: »
    Let the hate being.

The Vanguard is not the best class.

There. I said it. Charging is fun when you're upgraded. But boy is it not fun when you're not. I finished my canon vanguard run (remained faithful to Liara). Yeah, I charged the frickin colossus (on hard-core only though, so doesn't really count), I charged scions, ymirs, I charged around every frickin room in the galaxy, exept where level design didn't allow it (and why, for the love of the goddess would charge only work half the time on the stupid husks???).

Still didn't enjoy as much as the engineer or adept insanity runs. Sorry Orca. Peer pressure won't make me love the vanguard. Interestingly enough I died most doing the Aria bonus mission with the four YMIRs guarding the loot - turns out charging one YMIR after another doesn't always work as it should.

You're wrong!
    There. I said it.

evilthecat on
    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I could never really get into the Vanguard either.

Yeah, Charge is a ridiculous ability, but every time I used it, I couldn't help but think about how I could've killed the guy at farther range with SoldierShep, which really took all the fun out of it.

Plus, I don't know whether I was doing something wrong, or whether Charge just has a tendency for being finicky. I was constantly hitting walls when I used it, and there were a couple of times when Shepard would just absolutely refuse to do it.

I just had more fun with the ridiculous number of guns SoldierShep can use, and if I ever want to itch that biotic spot, I can just pick Reave as my loyalty power, and get it out of the way. Plus, the fucking Revenant just kicks so much ass, while the Vanguards don't even get one gun that's even half as awesome... Minus the Krogun, but you can use that gun on any class, so it's not really a class-exclusive benefit.

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
  • SeanronSeanron GlasgowRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So I just had the literal BEST firefight I've had so far in Mass Effect, and it was in the 'Bring Down the Sky' content
    The second Fusion Torch shoot-out, with the Rocket Drones as well as the Batarians

dunno what it was, but the whole fight just clicked, Garrus and Tali followed all my orders and it was tense enough to be exciting, but executed well enough to make me feel, dare I say it, hardcore.
    the final battle in the main complex was awesome as well. Tali and Garrus fell halfway through, and was pretty much me versus several Batarian troopers and engineers. Was sublime!

The gunplay can be a bit so-so in Mass Effect, but that whole section was severely awesome!

Seanron on
    PSN: Seanron - XBL: Seanron - Steam: Seanron
    edited May 2010
    Dox the PI wrote: »
    FUUUUU
    I knew I'd forget something.
    EDIT: Of course your the first to post in the new Mass Effect thread :D

Like Curly, I registered for the ME thread, SO!

Orca on
    edited May 2010
    You could tell the team had learned a fair bit with Bring Down the Sky; it's the best side-planet mission out there, with a difficulty suitably hard early on, interesting bits all out of the way if you want to explore, and the important stuff fairly straightforward to get to; no Mako-mountain-climbing necessary.

Big choice and suitably nail-biting ending too.

Engineers are such a pain to attack.

Orca on
  • SeanronSeanron GlasgowRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Orca wrote: »
    You could tell the team had learned a fair bit with Bring Down the Sky; it's the best side-planet mission out there, with a difficulty suitably hard early on, interesting bits all out of the way if you want to explore, and the important stuff fairly straightforward to get to; no Mako-mountain-climbing necessary.

Big choice and suitably nail-biting ending too.

Engineers are such a pain to attack.
    I let the Terrorists go to save the hostages...Paragon all the way on this run

and AMEN on the engineers being butt-munches. What's that, Ive shot my pistol once and it's overheated? FUUUUUUUUUUUU...

Seanron on
    PSN: Seanron - XBL: Seanron - Steam: Seanron
  • Dr. WormDr. Worm Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Do we have a release date for Overlord yet, besides "June"?

Dr. Worm on
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Guys what extra power shall I take for my sentinel? It's so hard to choose because most of them seem so mediocre.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
    edited May 2010
    Rami wrote: »
    Guys what extra power shall I take for my sentinel? It's so hard to choose because most of them seem so mediocre.

Warp ammo. They've got biotics and tech covered, so ammo power is your friend. armour-piercing is pretty good too. Depends slightly what difficult you are playing.

envoy1 on
    edited May 2010
    Warp Ammo was going to be my first choice, though I considered something more AoE like reave or shockwave. But then with my other powers on tiny cooldowns adding another active ability is kinda pointless because they all refresh quicker than I can use them.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    If you're not a Soldier, I'd strongly suggest taking an ammo power. Armor-piercing, Warp, or Incendiary. If you are a Soldier, Reave strikes me as the best choice.

Fairchild on
  • TracerBulletTracerBullet Spaceman Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Well, it all depends on your squad make-up, really.

I mean, why take warp ammo if you plan to run with Jack, for example?

That being said: You cannot go wrong with Reave.

TracerBullet on
    edited May 2010
    I usually take different people every mission, it's much better than ME in that regard. I never take Jack though because she is terrible.

Rami on
    sig.gif
    edited May 2010
    I took geth shield as an engineer on insanity and tbh I never used it. Just go with whatever you can use of incineration/warp/overload (not sure what you can get as sentinel) and fill your squad with whatever you're missing. As long as you can take down all three forms of protection you'll be fine.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• EtherealEthereal Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I usually take different people every mission, it's much better than ME in that regard. I never take Jack though because she is terrible.

I don't really hate anyone on the ME2 squad, but I am completely indifferent to Jack (and Jacob as well). Outside of having to talk to her to get her loyalty mission I basically forget she exists.

Ethereal on
    edited May 2010
    Well, it all depends on your squad make-up, really.

I mean, why take warp ammo if you plan to run with Jack, for example?

That being said: You cannot go wrong with Reave.

Reave is great blah blah but you've already got warp as sentinel. Having said that, one strategy is to take reave, ignore warp AND throw in order to put some points in cryo blast (source: sentinel guide in the ME2 wiki).

Re: the ammo powers I went through about 7 runs before I realised that it's actually not the best option to have squadmates go for squad ammo, because the bonuses are so much higher on inferno or tungsten etc. So optimally your sentinel has heavy warp ammo, and Jack has heavy warp ammo.

envoy1 on
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    On my Insanity run (Infiltrator), I swapped talents a few times (levels with organic enemies vs geth, tried to run similar missions in blocks). Took armor piercing on the organic levels and energy drain for the synthetics. I tried a few others, but found those two worked really well.

Bobble on
  • jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So I'm going to be starting my Insanity playthrough: Infiltrator or Soldier?

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
    edited May 2010
    jefe414 wrote: »
    So I'm going to be starting my Insanity playthrough: Infiltrator or Soldier?

Both are good although I'm told infiltrator is better.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

edited May 2010
    Soldier is easier, infiltrator is a more interesting run. Do you like shooting mans? Or do you like shooting mans while INVISIBLE? Think about it.

envoy1 on
  • jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    envoy1 wrote: »
    Soldier is easier, infiltrator is a more interesting run. Do you like shooting mans? Or do you like shooting mans while INVISIBLE? Think about it.

Well I liked throwing mans (sentinel), punching mans (vanguard) so I think now I'm going to shoot mans in slo-mo. I guess it all depends on if I want them to see me coming...

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    In the original Mass Effect, do enemies scale to your level like in ME2?

Also, would an Adept be a good class for an insanity run in the original ME? Working on a Hardcore/Renegade/Engineer run right now. Trying to get 1050/1050 or whatever it is.

Zerokku on
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Zerokku wrote: »
    In the original Mass Effect, do enemies scale to your level like in ME2?

Also, would an Adept be a good class for an insanity run in the original ME? Working on a Hardcore/Renegade/Engineer run right now. Trying to get 1050/1050 or whatever it is.

Yes they scale; how much so depends on your difficulty but it's largely irrelevant because unless you're playing on Insanity everything dies by looking at it from level 1 to 60.

Adept would be fine for insanity because managing enemies is pretty much how you get through it. Having them all lifted/singularity etc just makes it a turkey shoot.

Really whatever you can do to keep them immobilized so they can't chain use Immunity is the key to making Insanity not incredibly boring in ME1.

Because the enemies aren't more difficult via AI. They're more difficulty by everything having immunity and just doing a lot more damage with attacks.

And keep Barrier/Immunity up 100% of the time. If you don't dumb things like rockets will one shot you.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• TracerBulletTracerBullet Spaceman Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Ethereal wrote: »

I don't really hate anyone on the ME2 squad, but I am completely indifferent to Jack (and Jacob as well). Outside of having to talk to her to get her loyalty mission I basically forget she exists.

I really don't mind Jacob. I kind of like him as the "Down-to-earth" character that he is.

Jack however, well, I try not to talk to Jack. Jack just feels like the writers had a disagreement over what path to take with Jack; the super-bitch bad-ass, or the powerful girl who's pretty insecure about life in general, so, instead of choosing one, they tried to do both, failed, and Jack is just annoying.

TracerBullet on