As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

a

GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
edited August 2017 in Help / Advice Forum

GPIA7R on

• HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    They might be coming from soil in the area or from food that's rotting in the trash or something like that.

We had a gnat problem and I tried all kinds of stuff like the vinegar in the inverted cone and things like that. Finally, in a fit of exasperation I bought biological weapons:
    Dionea_muscipula-WD-1.jpg
    sundew_rdl.jpg

We don't have a gnat problem anymore, and I am very happy :D

Hypatia on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Seconding the carnivorous plants suggestion

We had a massive fly invasion here a few years ago and after keeping a few of the flytraps and flypaper plants around their numbers dropped off immediately

Plus they're super cool, way cooler than normal plants

joshofalltrades on
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I had some bugs in my office and I just casually swatted at them when they showed up and didn't think much about it. Today I'm on day 5 of an allergic reaction to something that bit me on Thursday and my arms are covered in hive-like bites that itch to high heaven. So I ran screaming to facilities to bomb my office. Wish I had done this before one of the little fuckers finally bit me. If it's really bad bring in pest control.

VisionOfClarity on
  • GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited August 2017

GPIA7R on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Put out a little dish of vinegar with a few drops of honey in it, they'll be attracted to the honey and die in the vinegar.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
    edited August 2017

GPIA7R on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    This is at work? You could also just tell your boss you've got a bug problem and see if he'd consider getting an exterminator in.

joshofalltrades on
  • sys64738sys64738 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Could be fungus gnats; usually see these in offices with over-watered potted plants. The typical fix is to get plastic plants because getting people to stop over-watering is just about impossible IME.

Fruit / phorid flies would mean that there's some rotted fruit / food debris lying around. Usually see this in kitchens / break rooms that aren't well maintained or cleaned. Sanitation should remedy this, though it should be noted that these flies could be coming in from outside garbage areas if there is poor door control.

Drain / moth / phorid flies usually mean that there's a drain somewhere that needs cleaning. Common culprits - bathroom sinks, floor drains, janitorial areas. Recommend a biological drain cleaner diluted with warm water to increase coverage.

sys64738 on
    edited August 2017

GPIA7R on
  • Mr BlondeMr Blonde Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    sys64738 wrote: »
    Could be fungus gnats; usually see these in offices with over-watered potted plants.

This was my problem in our office. I was the one over watering though. If the pots have holes in the bottom that then sit in another dish of plastic, you can lift the pot up and see all the water that is collecting at the bottom. Show that to your office manager as that is how much s/he is over watering and where the bugs are breeding.

Once I cut back on water and bought some indoor-okay insecticide, the flies were gone in a week or two.

Mr Blonde on
  • desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    We had similar things in our office. The place had to be fumigated twice.

desperaterobots on
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    This is definitely something you shouldn't be addressing on your own - bring it to the attention of the people who are paid to deal with this kind of stuff. If necessary, use the fruit juice/vinegar mix to show them how many fucking flies you have to deal with as proof. Workplace sanitation is not a laughing matter.

A filthy kitchen and over-watered plants can all be sources of this type of thing. Chances are, if the kitchen is filthy then so are one or more cubes in the office as well. Flies breed like...flies, so even if only one place was the source, there's a very high chance that they're everywhere now. Fumigation is a temporary solution if the workplace sanitation issues are not addressed. The kitchen should always be clean, and people should be dumping their shit out from their desks. Sounds like the building/office manager need to implement some new rules in order to modify established behavior.

Inquisitor77 on
    edited August 2017

GPIA7R on
  • Mr BlondeMr Blonde Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Also, a way to tell if the flies are living in the plants is to blow on the plants or shake their pots gently. The flies will scatter, but you'll know that they are indeed living there.

Mr Blonde on