As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Digsby? (or, fix the flashing problem in Pidgin)

RainbulimicRainbulimic Registered User regular
edited May 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So for some reason Pidgin has stopped flashing when I receive messages. I can't be bothered to seek a solution, so I figured I'd shop around for something new.
I heard about Digsby a while ago. Has anyone got prior experience with this program they want to share? Is it secretly evil, or does it do all the wonderful things it promises without so much as a whimper?

Alternatively, share with me your preferred all-in-one messenger service!

steam_sig.png
Rainbulimic on

• Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    If I still used Windows, I'd probably be using Miranda. If I used Mac, I'd use Adium.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I use Digsby. I use it for facebook, managing my two email accounts, and AIM. I've never had any real problem with it. Sometimes facebook will do an update and digsby wont be able to connect to display a statusfeed or something. When they update you get an IM that tells you what they changed.

After AIM stopped working on my old PC I spent a great deal of time looking for a new application. At the time, Digsby was very young but was also the only service that allowed facebook/myspace/email updates directly. I have used a ton of all-in-ones and Digsby hasn't given me a reason to look elsewhere.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2010
    Mine has stopped as well! I just had to reinstall it, so I figured it was something with the new version. I do not like the change. If it's not just me, there might be a forum post or something for it somewhere.

I love pidgin and would like to find a fix, but if there isn't one I guess I'll be looking for a replacement. I don't want email or facebook updates though, just an IM client.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Digsby is pretty neat, and looks quite nice and is equipped with a bunch of features, but it feels really heavyweight. Plus it uses a single login system, and you might not want to create another online identity just for a multiprotocol IM client.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    BoomShakeBoomShake The Engineer Columbia, MDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I've never really trusted Digsby. They're not always transparent and have had a history of shady business sometimes.

BoomShake on
  • Options
    RainbulimicRainbulimic Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    BoomShake wrote: »
    I've never really trusted Digsby. They're not always transparent and have had a history of shady business sometimes.

See, I was a little worried about this, because I went to install it and found them offering a billion extra bits. This doesn't please me.
    Its a shame though, some of these features are excellent, such as the pop-up in the corner.

But I don't fancy using a piece of software that might be doing something shady behind my back on my laptop....

So... Suggestions?

Edit: So, I fail. After googling the problem in Pidgin for a while (flashing taskbar) I found out they released a Pidgin.dll to fix the problem until the next download. It works, so win! No need to switch to shady Digsby after all!

Rainbulimic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2010
    Yesss, I was just about to post saying I'd found it. Also the search acquainted me with the term FSUES, so I feel like I've learned something as well!

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Oh please. You people will find anything to whine about. The sponsor programs are completely optional and @home-esque feature can be disabled, and can be done so in a very straight-forward manner.

I've had it running since I installed Digsby and haven't noticed even the tiniest of slowdown on my pc.

While not without it's quirks and flaws, Digsby is a great multi-protocol IM client.

SeñorAmor on
  • Options
    BoomShakeBoomShake The Engineer Columbia, MDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    SeñorAmor wrote: »

Oh please. You people will find anything to whine about. The sponsor programs are completely optional and @home-esque feature can be disabled, and can be done so in a very straight-forward manner.

I've had it running since I installed Digsby and haven't noticed even the tiniest of slowdown on my pc.

While not without it's quirks and flaws, Digsby is a great multi-protocol IM client.

Alternatively, you can go with companies that are generally on the up-and-up, or open source, and not have any worries.

One issue, for example, brought up in the Wiki:
    Wikipedia wrote:
    As of August 18, 2009, the Digsby installer provides a Google search plugin called "Digsby-powered Google Search". The add-on redirects Google searches through Digsby.com, which remains enabled after the uninstall process.

Yeah, totally whining about nothing.:lol:

BoomShake on
  • Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Although the OP has fixed his issue, I'd just like to point out that all the things people are bringing up are things are optional. Research, digsby search, crapware.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png