As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Super Street Fighter IV: Everyone loves Chun-li.

• MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Probably been posted before, but holy fucking Blanka boobs, Batman! I'll always hate Blanka, but this girl is fucking scary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYlU3B4BrAc&feature=player_embedded#!

Morvidus on
  • LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I just got done reading Street Fighter III: Ryu Final. It's a pretty friggin' awesome book if you're at all interested in the world/story behind Street Fighter. It's basically the end of the story, featuring Ryu's last fight against Akuma. It also features the best Dudley scene ever.

In non-related news, I should have a wireless mic tomorrow-ish, which means I'll be online for fights this weekend! Need to train before a local tourney here so I don't get absolutely rolled.

LibrarianThorne on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Ryu's Trial 24 can suck a chode

I've basically completed it, game, but you decided to do a kick at the end instead of the Ultra 2 I was obviously inputting

I think maybe it's time I went for an octogate

QCFx2 is easy except at the end of long, difficult combos

joshofalltrades on
  • MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Ryu's Trial 24 can suck a chode

I've basically completed it, game, but you decided to do a kick at the end instead of the Ultra 2 I was obviously inputting

I think maybe it's time I went for an octogate

QCFx2 is easy except at the end of long, difficult combos

Instead of doing his U2 after the Hadoken xx FADC U2, I had to do Hadoken xx FADC SRK xx FADC U2. I only tapped Dan once with his ultra, but it was enough to count.

Morvidus on
  • Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hey Dover, sorry about that. Wife wanted to watch netflix, and so I decided to just let her watch instead of lagging up the game. Another time, man.

Oh, and your buddy has a beastly Chun, I really need more practice at that matchup.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Raziel_pmRaziel_pm Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Jumping on Live now..bring this Chun to ME! ^_^

Raziel_pm on
    Your sig was too large. Maximum sig size is 500x80. - Jacobkosh.
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I went out the winner tonight in my lobby. Granted I got my face stomped all over the place by Rogue Gemini, Hiryu, and Degami but it was worth it.

GG's tonight to everyone. Hiryu, no worries man. Wife > SSF4. In fact, she's probably OP and in the God(dess) Tier. :D

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • CDiggityCDiggity Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    oh man, i just fought 19 ryus in a row in ranked, no joke....and 18 of them were flowcharty scrubs.

I also did some number crunching with my player data and discovered that for every 1 non shoto (Ryu, Ken, Akuma) character I fight, i fight on average 5 ryus

talk about mad diversity

CDiggity on
  • mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    this is why I like playing against people I know. I love changing out characters, playing characters I'm less good with just for fun---indeed we all mix it to try to make sure no one is on the losing end too much.

Scrubby, I know, but way more fun for me.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I like using other characters a lot. When people ask me to use Fuerte I will but for the most part I usually don't like using him all that much in casuals. I will use him if someone is doing well with a newer character just because I don't know the match-ups all that well yet.

FuriousJodo on
    FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • ReddfawksReddfawks Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Changing around characters has actually helped me a ton. Aside from stepping out of my comfort zone, I've found I'm better with other characters.

Usually used to main E. Honda and Blanka...But I'm having a fun time playing as Hakan, Dhalsim, Dudley.

Personal fave at the moment? Cody. That "Lead Pipe Baseball" Ultra cracks me up every time.

Reddfawks on
    Current Badge Designs count = 311. Current sanity level = -311
    edited May 2010
    And I also should note that though the constant Ken-fest is part of caused me to quit SFIV, the fault really lies with Capcom on this one. As long as shotos are the characters with the easiest learning curve (for XBL play) then that's going to be mainly what you see.

I mean, I went from winning 20% of matches with Juri to winning 60% or more with Ryu just because the basic strategy with him is so easy----I literally had no practice with him and beat a ton of people just by using normals and abusing hadouken and Shoryuken.

It's not like I was comboing into anything either---any ultra I do is basically always going to be a random one.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    As long as shotos are the characters with the easiest learning curve

Thats the entire purpose of shotos. To be the basic character that you learn with. I actually recommend to all of my friends that they get acquainted with Ryu before moving on to other characters.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    shotos are the easiest to learn with largely because people have been playing shotos since the very first SF came out, and in pretty much the same way

Evil Multifarious on
    edited May 2010
    And I also should note that though the constant Ken-fest is part of caused me to quit SFIV, the fault really lies with Capcom on this one. As long as shotos are the characters with the easiest learning curve (for XBL play) then that's going to be mainly what you see.

I mean, I went from winning 20% of matches with Juri to winning 60% or more with Ryu just because the basic strategy with him is so easy----I literally had no practice with him and beat a ton of people just by using normals and abusing hadouken and Shoryuken.

It's not like I was comboing into anything either---any ultra I do is basically always going to be a random one.

While workign on C to shining C I found that I am pretty successful with Ryu and all I really did was cr.mp, cr.mp, cr.rh over and over.

FuriousJodo on
    edited May 2010
    And I have a feeling that a lot of people have trouble with charge characters----and charge characters comprise a pretty good portion of the original cast. Even Chun Li who is not purely a charge character definitely has some charge moves.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    shotos are the easiest to learn with largely because people have been playing shotos since the very first SF came out, and in pretty much the same way

This. I'm pretty sure c.mk xx fireball is a combo in basically every game Ryu is in. So is his j.mp juggle. It's not so much that he's easy, he's just well known and his shit hasn't changed.

ChaosHat on
    edited May 2010
    people have trouble with charge characters, but mostly it's because they haven't had the persistence to work on learning how to play a charge character

Evil Multifarious on
    edited May 2010
    I didn't touch charge characters at all until I started using Chun a bunch. She's so fun for some reason.

FuriousJodo on
    edited May 2010
    And I have a feeling that a lot of people have trouble with charge characters----and charge characters comprise a pretty good portion of the original cast. Even Chun Li who is not purely a charge character definitely has some charge moves.

I don't see how, they're pretty fucking easy to do. They even don't have any complicated FADC combos. At worst you have something like Boxer's headbutt into ultra which requires you to keep two charges, or charge something quickly after a focus attack crumple. Or dash ultra? The execution requirements are vastly lowered either way, in my opinion.

@Jodo: Uhh, cuz she's amazing.

ChaosHat on
    edited May 2010
    Honda can headbutt into ultra?

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2010
    I've been playing fighting games since 1992 but I still can't do a flash kick with any consistency. Some of this is that I'm terrible though (ok most of it).

I'm sure that the other part is that due to having trouble with such moves I generally played as characters with whom I didn't have as much trouble playing as. Thus, I pretty much always played as Ryu/Ken in SF2. And when SF4 came out I basically cut a lot of those people off my "possible players" list immediately for just that reason.

And why I ended up playing mostly as Abel and C. Viper. Because I didn't want to be a part of the shoto brigade and I was convinced (and am still pretty convinced) that charge characters really aren't for me.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • nstfnstf __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    And now, I suck, after not playing for months. Can't do SRK FADC ultra, and am fluffing the links on my go to b&b combos (cr lk, cr lp, cr hp xxx whatever, and cr lk, cr lp, cr lp, cr mk, xxx fb as a push) it just sucks....

So now, I'm fluffing crap left and right and in panic resort to no links and just going for the more basic combos, fine, but I can't hit confirm now, so I'm eating stuff I shouldn't.

So I think I'm retarded, fire up HDR, and shocked as hell, I can do all my combos in that game. Did something really change, because I can't play!

nstf on
    edited May 2010

What are you talking about?

On another note, I think it's hilarious that Guido thinks flash kick is too hard, but C. Viper is easier. Flash kick is like falling off a bus.

ChaosHat on
    edited May 2010
    ChaosHat wrote: »

I don't see how, they're pretty fucking easy to do. They even don't have any complicated FADC combos. At worst you have something like Boxer's headbutt into ultra which requires you to keep two charges, or charge something quickly after a focus attack crumple. Or dash ultra? The execution requirements are vastly lowered either way, in my opinion.

@Jodo: Uhh, cuz she's amazing.

Well, having not played charge characters very much I may be wrong on this, but isn't a fairly significant part of the game of say a Guile that you need to constantly be charging while doing other things? Like charging up a Flash Kick while kicking low and other such things?

That kind of multitasking is always something I found pretty difficult. Planning ahead is one thing but charging another move while doing another one is unlikely something I'll ever be proficient at.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2010
    Just hold down back all the time. It becomes second nature. It's not really multitasking, it's just holding down back.

The ABCs of charge characters is Always Be Charging.

ChaosHat on
    edited May 2010

What are you talking about?

On another note, I think it's hilarious that Guido thinks flash kick is too hard, but C. Viper is easier. Flash kick is like falling off a bus.

You have to understand I'm not talking about high level play, I'm simply talking about being able to do the basic moves. Motion-based characters are way easier for me than charge ones, and that's what I'm talking about.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2010
    Hold back for two seconds, press forward and punch. There is almost no way to fuck that up (although I still do sometimes).

ChaosHat on
  • sabyulsabyul Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, it's just a personal thing. I find it way easier to do charge moves, but I understand that people like me are in the minority.

So I see you guys peeped my stream over the weekend. Pretty sweet right?

sabyul on
    http://www.frame-advantage.com - Specializing in high quality fighting game video content
    edited May 2010
    Just hold down back all the time. It becomes second nature. It's not really multitasking, it's just holding down back.

The ABCs of charge characters is Always Be Charging.

this is actually not entirely true. Don't hold down-back *all* the time, but be ready to sneak charges into other things you're doing. Charge while you're jumping, dashing, and especially during hit confirm strings. Also be aware of exactly how long it takes to charge, you can catch people offguard if you're moving back and forth.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2010
    I don't see how that's not all the time. When you are doing something where holding down back would not ruin you, you should hold it. Maybe you're saying "You shouldn't hold down back when you're trying to jump, you should press up!" but other than that I have no idea. When your moves are recovering, you should be holding down back.

Your stream was great Seb, looking forward to the youtube uploads!

ChaosHat on
    edited May 2010
    I just had a thought, maybe the reason I like Seb's commentary so much more than the other people is because I too am in love with Chun-Li...

FuriousJodo on
    edited May 2010
    I'd like to welcome Jodo into the Chun side of things. It's good to bring another into the Fellowship of the Thigh when there's so much rampant Chun hate around here.

ChaosHat on
    edited May 2010
    I'll never main her, but I am totally obsessed with her as a character for some reason.

FuriousJodo on
    edited May 2010
    i wish there were more charge characters

i love charge characters after deciding to main bison and learning how to play them

i want Urien in this game

Evil Multifarious on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Chun hate? When did that happen? When she got an Ultra that wasn't shitty?

Dragkonias on
    edited May 2010
    Once I get back into things I may try out Chun to see if I can try to get use to some charging. Though that pad Fei made me miss my Fei Long. He was who I was playing before I quit and even though I wasn't great, he's a fun character to play.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2010
    I don't see how that's not all the time. When you are doing something where holding down back would not ruin you, you should hold it. Maybe you're saying "You shouldn't hold down back when you're trying to jump, you should press up!" but other than that I have no idea. When your moves are recovering, you should be holding down back.

Your stream was great Seb, looking forward to the youtube uploads!

Not that you're advice is wrong, but too many people interpret "hold down-back all the time" to mean sit in a corner and never give up your charge. You should't be afraid to lose your charge, just be mindful of charge opportunities.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
  • Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'll never main her, but I am totally obsessed with her as a character for some reason.

I'm like this about Rufus, for some reason.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • StokedUpStokedUp Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    GG's Stigma, Bluedouble and Chaos + everyone else i played today.

Cant wait to see the stream uploads, i didnt catch most of the in finals.

StokedUp on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Gamertag(SSF4/MW2)StokedAidzzzSC2 ID Stoked.655
    Uploaded SC2 Replays