As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

You know what would be Awesome? If Nintendo kept Remaking FE games on the DS!

Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Games and Technology
Well, they are!

245zpzk.png

So we go from the "Honestly guys we tried to stay pure to the intention of the original game and end up making something a bit boring." Shadow Dragon on the DS to the almost unknown and unplayed sequel Fire Emblem Gaiden, which like many second game in a Nintendo series does something different.

Wait a minute...That's not FE Gaiden! That's Mystery of the Emblem, aka the non remake part of Fire Emblem 3! Book 2 of 2!

I know in my heart of hearts it will look terribad like Shadow Dragon, but I do have a soft spot for this scenario. I just wish they'd finally do something with Gaiden as its the only game I haven't played.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
Xenogears of Bore on

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    They're... they're gonna release FE3, Book 2?

Well... maybe this means I'll finally get to see why Genealogy of the Holy War is so awesome and why Thracia 776 is terribly difficult.

Heck, why not remake the one with Roy after that. :P

And let's hope they implement a dang Support System this time.

WotanAnubis on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Oh look Xeno is talking about Nintendo again.

Man, I really need to get in on the Fire Emblem series and see what all the hoo-ha is about. I was suppose to do it a couple years ago, even got all sorts of recommendations from people here, but then I didn't follow through.

Remakes will help though.

Henroid on
    edited May 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    I dunno.

The Shadow Dragon remake, while it was decent and I did enjoy it (holy crap, Balistas are actually a threat), lacked some features that makes Fire Emblem so precious to those of us who really like Fire Emblem.

If this trend of faithful, but not particularly updated remakes continues... I dunno. Better to just go with 7 for your introduction. Or 8. Or 9. Maybe 10.

WotanAnubis on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    Oh look Xeno is talking about Nintendo again.

Man, I really need to get in on the Fire Emblem series and see what all the hoo-ha is about. I was suppose to do it a couple years ago, even got all sorts of recommendations from people here, but then I didn't follow through.

I'll have you know that I'm very very behind on playing Galaxy because I put an obscene amount of time into WoW the last few days.

Make a few hundred posts about Nintendo and suddenly people accuse you of being bias. :P Don't make me slip back into Sony mode.

EDIT: Then I forget to comment the on the rest of your post. Fire Emblem is like Shining Force, only not a Sega/Camelot ripoff and worth playing through. Good entry points include the one off Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones for the GBA as it is pretty easy or possibly the first game canonically, Shadow Dragon on the DS. It's a bit dry but has plenty of options for players of all different skill levels.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I always suggest Sacred Stones as the intro Fire Emblem, just because it offers a few things like the ability to level if they want to ease into it.

Will pick this up though when it hits, hopefully they're looking at something fancier lookswise than Shadow Dragon was.

Kelor on
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Fire Emblem has always been one of the few games that gave you a serious sense of caution and dread, as if you rush into battle without a plan, and the enemies kill your soldiers...that's it...they stay dead.

It's the only game I can think of that you don't get your ment back at the end of the battle.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
    edited May 2010
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    It's the only game I can think of that you don't get your ment back at the end of the battle.
    I've heard that in Suikoden V, non-plot-important characters can die if they are defeated in army battles. Though not that they will die.

I don't know if this is true for the other Suikodens, though.

Still... it's still less of a deal than it is in Fire Emblem.

WotanAnubis on
    edited May 2010
    From memory, yes it is possible for it to happen in Suikoden V.

But the dread in Suikoden comes from the completionist in me worrying that I've missed one of the many times you can recruit a character over a short time span (in some cases you need to backtrack way back while travelling between a town chasing after someone while crossing your eyes and standing on one leg) to get everyone.

If we get a future new FE title, I would like to see support conversations make a return though. I enjoyed Radiant Dawn but missed them a lot.

Give the sales for the GC and Wii versions I wouldn't be taken aback to see it coming to handheld, especially given to how the hardware situation in Japan is working out.

Kelor on
  • ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Sacred Stones was pretty much a throwback to Gaiden anyway.

Why just book 2 though? I only have book 1 in Japanese as I imported it. :(

Not that I ever finished it, but still.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
    edited May 2010
    Kelor wrote: »
    If we get a future new FE title, I would like to see support conversations make a return though. I enjoyed Radiant Dawn but missed them a lot.
    Tell me about it.

Radiant Dawn's cast is pretty superficial. The base conversations do help a bit, but you never delve deeply into their character or motivations or whatever. It makes it so much harder to care about any of them.

Take Fiona and Isadora, for example. On the surface they are pretty similar, but thanks to the Support Conversations Isadora has got more going on beneath that surface. Fiona doesn't.

I don't mind making a game slightly more difficult for myself just so I can include characters in my army that I simply like more than others. I tend to take Vaida along in FE, or do my best to train up Lethe in PoR. Not so in Radiant Dawn, because in that game I don't really give a damn about the whole bunch of them.

Such wasted opportunities, too. Take Jill. She had such a sweet character arc in Path of Radiance even outside the Support Conversations. But do we see any real follow-up of that in Radiant Dawn? No. Not really. Except if you recruit her with Haar, I guess, but you shouldn't do that because the Dawn Brigade sucks. :x

Sorry. I'm rambling. I just really love the whole Support Conversation system and Radiant Dawn just let me down on that front.

WotanAnubis on
  • PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yes. The support conversation system is such a nice way to give character development (and occasionally backstory) without getting in the way of the main game. It has to come back!

...I kinda hope they one day remake Sacred Stones. Yes, it's pitifully easy, but I have a soft spot for the characters.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
    edited May 2010
    Support convos are nice, but it's not like I make it a game to support each and every one in every playthrough.

I mean, I've played Path of Radiance in Japanese and I still cared for my characters. Except the furries. Didn't like them much.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Radiant Dawn's cast is pretty superficial. The base conversations do help a bit, but you never delve deeply into their character or motivations or whatever. It makes it so much harder to care about any of them.
    I would argue that it's because most of the cast were already developed in Path of Radiance. Still, supports were the only flaw in that game. I really doubt that that structure will be used again. Base conversations were fantastic.

Anyway, while this isn't FE4 or a new game, any Fire Emblem announcement at all is still good news.

AshtonDragon on
    edited May 2010
    I would argue that it's because most of the cast were already developed in Path of Radiance. Still, supports were the only flaw in that game. I really doubt that that structure will be used again. Base conversations were fantastic.
    This is true. Except for Heather and Nailah and Leonardo and Edward and Tanis and that one laguz guy who joins up at the same time as Lyre and whose name I can't remember because he has, what, two lines in the entire game...

And I did like the base conversations also. They were a good addition (though, one that was already present in PoR as well).

And yes, Path of Radiance did develop its characters. Unfortunately, Radiant Dawn didn't develop those characters further. Except the main ones, admittedly.

WotanAnubis on
    edited May 2010
    Soren's development made up for the others.

But yeah, it's undeniable that character development for the lesser characters was Radiant Dawn's biggest flaw. Everything else about the game was nigh perfect, though.

AshtonDragon on
    edited May 2010
    Wasn't there a part that was frustratingly hard? Something involving Micaiah? That's what I remember anyway.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
    edited May 2010
    Soren's development made up for the others.
    I must not have been paying much attention. What was his character arc again? He goes from 'I hate everyone except Ike' to...?

And does this character arc also take place if you don't import his Ike A support?

MID-POST EDIT: Or, wait, is this about...
    The fact that he turns out to be Ashnard's son? I never got that bit. How does that knowledge change him?

But even if it is awesome, no. One awesome instance of character development does not trump multiple pretty great ones.

In my opinion anyway.

WotanAnubis on
  • MumblyfishMumblyfish Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The logo mock-up suggests that the game will, once again, look like butt. It's pretty sad that the Game Boy Advance entries remain the graphical high-point of the series.
    Everything else about the game [Radiant Dawn] was nigh perfect, though.
    Furries.

Mumblyfish on
    edited May 2010
    Mumblyfish wrote: »
    Furries.

Humans with animal bits glued on them.

Who. Cares.

Pureauthor on
    edited May 2010
    Furries.
    Catgirls (well... catpeople and just beastpeople in general) count as furries now?

I need to keep up with the standards of Internet deviancy it seems.

WotanAnubis on
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Playing as Ike in Act 4 of Radiant Dawn is seriously the ultimate power trip
    Vanguard, fully levelled, Ragnell wielding Ike just annihilates everything in his path. It's so satisfying to get to the rematch with the Black Knight and just be all "No fuck you" and beat him down with minimal effort. Because really fully levelled Vanguard Ike has no trouble with the Black Knight at all.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Pureauthor wrote: »
    Furries.

Humans with animal bits glued on them.

Who. Cares.

Oiy. I sit from the wonderous land called Shining Force. I agree. Who Cares.

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
    edited May 2010
    Seriously, it's not as if Fire Emblem has ever been particularly shy about sexual deviancy.

Pureauthor on
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Look until someone starts being unable to go three posts without talking about how they want to stick their dick in a laguz because kitty cats are so hot, there's not a problem.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
    edited May 2010
    Pureauthor wrote: »
    Seriously, it's not as if Fire Emblem has ever been particularly shy about sexual deviancy.
    I still can't believe the first/seventh Fire Emblem got away with just an E rating. The only deviant behaviour they didn't include was necrophilia.

Then they went and fixed that particular oversight in Sacred Stones.

WotanAnubis on
    edited May 2010
    Chen wrote: »
    Wasn't there a part that was frustratingly hard? Something involving Micaiah? That's what I remember anyway.

In Hard mode, a few of her missions were pretty brutal. In Normal, they only are if you don't know what you are doing (which, to be fair, a lot of people don't at that stage of the game).

AshtonDragon on
    edited May 2010
    It's the Star Trek effect in full force here. The animal men races are just a Japanese take on 'other' races. Suikoden(?), Shining Force, Fire Emblem, Breath of Fire. There is a laundry list of game with these style of characters. I can't believe people are still hung up over this. I thought the bashing on Furry characters meme was over already.

Mostlyjoe13 on
  • Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Wow! Intelligent Systems is remaking something that could've easily been included on their previous DS release, considering they were able to do the same for FE3 for the SNES!? I cannot wait to buy another cartridge so that I can have the whole story on two separate games instead of having it on one cartridge, like they for FE3, because who wants convenience, am I right?

*sarcasm*

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
    edited May 2010
    I'd rather Intelligent Systems make an entirely new game to be honest. These remakes feel ancient.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
    edited May 2010
    Chen wrote: »
    I'd rather Intelligent Systems make an entirely new game to be honest. These remakes feel ancient.

I am kinda curious why we're getting a rehash again. Is there a serious creative brain drain going on?

Mostlyjoe13 on
    edited May 2010
    I want a Sacred Stones sequel. :/

Pureauthor on
    edited May 2010
    To make more money.

My only regret is that they didn't do Gaiden first.

Also Radiant Dawn is hella brutal on normal and ghastly brutal on hard. Especially the beginning with the no defense nellies the Dawn Brigade.

Xenogears of Bore on
    edited May 2010
    Also Radiant Dawn is hella brutal on normal and ghastly brutal on hard. Especially the beginning with the no defense nellies the Dawn Brigade.

Again, if you know what you are doing, it's easy enough to get Nolan/Sothe/etc to take most of the hits. The problem is that a bad slip-up even in the first couple chapters will result in a dead Micaiah. Luckily you can save at any time, so you shouldn't lose much progress if you are careful at all.

In hard mode, not even Nolan can take more than two attacks reliably. You need almost perfect strategy to get through some of the earliest chapters (although it's not bad at all once you gt through the first seven or so chapters).

AshtonDragon on
    edited May 2010
    Can't save at any time on hard, the mode I usually play on. :P

Plus for most of chapter 1 the win condition involves no members of the shitty defense brigade dying. It's lame. I only need a few of them but nooo.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    It's the Star Trek effect in full force here. The animal men races are just a Japanese take on 'other' races. Suikoden(?), Shining Force, Fire Emblem, Breath of Fire. There is a laundry list of game with these style of characters. I can't believe people are still hung up over this. I thought the bashing on Furry characters meme was over already.

It's called The Beautiful People. It's all relative to the size of your steeple.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheBeautifulPeople

Nope! I don't play Fire Emblem. I made many tries. The most I managed was the first GC Fire Emblem on Easy. Valkyria Chronicles means I will never try again. Advance Wars is another story...

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I still need to beat Shadow Dragon. I liked what I did play of it; I knew what I was getting into before buying it and didn't expect characterization or storytelling as deep as the modern Fire Emblems.

Andy Joe on
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
    edited May 2010
    Can't save at any time on hard, the mode I usually play on. :P

Plus for most of chapter 1 the win condition involves no members of the shitty defense brigade dying. It's lame. I only need a few of them but nooo.

Yeah, I'm not going to deny that most of the Dawn Brigade's missions are brutal on Hard. I do like the challenge, though. It makes Ike feel that much more badass when his crew still just annihilate everything with ease.

AshtonDragon on
    edited May 2010
    I love the conversation you get if you manage to get Ike up close enough to talk to Sothe in that one mission and pretty much the best example of how much more badass Ike had become.

Of course I also made the mistake of talking to Jill and Zihark in that mission, which came back to bite me in the ass later on.

Is there a list anywhere of all the conversations? I could give the gist of what Ike says, but the actual words would be better.

Edit: Aha!
    Ike approaches Sothe

Sothe: Commander Ike!
    Ike: Look at you Sothe. You've grown a lot. I almost forgot... You're originally from Daein.
    Sothe: I'm glad you remembered. I hope it helps explain why I'm here.
    Ike: Did you find the person you were looking for?
    Sothe: Yes. She commands this army.
    Ike: The Maiden of Dawn?
    Sothe: Please don't call her by that ridiculous name. Her name is Micaiah.
    Ike: I see.
    Sothe: Commander, I... I didn't want to see you like this.
    Ike: But you don't intend to retreat, do you?
    Sothe: That's right.
    Ike: Sothe, before you challenge me, you better be ready never to see that girl again. Can you handle that?
    Sothe: Wh-what?!
    Ike: If you can't, stay away from me. You'll get no mercy, despite our past. I'm sorry, Sothe, but the choices we've made have brought us to this. There's no turning back now.
    Sothe: I understand, Commander. And to answer your question... Yes, sir, I can handle that. Whenever you're ready, Commander.

Specifically the bolded part.

Kelor on
    edited May 2010
    There is a game script FAQ on GameFAQs here. I don't know how complete it is, though.

WotanAnubis on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Ike deserves every gay joke he gets. He practically had a harem.

Sweet Mia, *grumble grumble*

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767