As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Your Citys (and towns, hamlets...) Post them

Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
edited June 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
Inspired by a thread on NeoGaf where people post awesome pictures of the citys they live in, since someone brought the pick-up's thread to PA I thought this might be a nice way to feel jelous of the people living in Postcards. If you would partake I would be beholden to you!

Anyway, I will start off, Manchester, I choose you!

manchester_central_library.jpg

Manchester.jpg

I love how the Beetham Tower makes it look like City 17

beetham_tower_beetham100108_1.jpg

and one of the views from the cocktail bar on the 23rd floor of that Monolith

view-from-cloud-23-hilton.jpg

PA'ers, show me your Citys (and towns, hamlets, villages...)

Venkman90 on

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I choose you, Charleston, South Carolina!
    charleston-aerial3.jpg

i live somewhere to the left of this picture

here is this cool fountain
    Charleston-SC-pineapple-fountain.jpg

this is a bridge (the arthur ravenel bridge) that everyone ever takes a picture of when they drive over it
    charleston1.jpg
    tumblr_l2tx57j9yR1qa1xmf
    90% of people I know have taken a picture like this...even myself. its me. i am the tourists. :(

there is also this farmer's market i go to every saturday for awesome crepes and veggies
    p228804-Charleston_SC-Farmers_Market.jpg
    and also charleston is famous (sorta?) for carriage tours, which are tours of the city from a horse-drawn carriage.
    this is the worst thing about charleston because i hate horses so very very much. also they make the city smell awesome

the enemy.
    050115_charleston_vmed.widec.jpg

Arch on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Turner painted a picture of my home town, sort of:
    gosport_entrance_to_portsmouth_harbour-400.jpg

The reality of modern-day Gosport is much less interesting:
    2026_26_1---Gosport-Ferry_web.jpg

But we do get to look at Portsmouth from our harbour, so we see this:
    spinnaker-tower.jpg

Now I live in Cambridge, so I get to see shit like this on a regular basis:
    20090614192854_cambridge_1356979c.jpg

chronophage_corpus_clock.jpg

And as a result of searching for the Corpus Clock, I found an apparent conspiracy theory about it:
    On September 19, 2008, Professor Stephen Hawking and John C. Taylor unveiled to the world the “Corpus Clock”, a mysterious clock now on display outside of the Taylor Library at Corpus Christi College, Cambridge, UK. Stephen Hawking returned from the launch of the Large Hadron Collider to unveil the clock.

John C. Taylor said that the clock “is terrifying. It is meant to be… I view time as not on your side. He’ll eat up every minute of your life…”. He refers to the “Chronophage”, the locust at the top of the clock as “demonic”, and states “Time is gone. He’s eaten it.”

The inscription at the base of this mysterious clock, which incorporates six undisclosed patented inventions, and which had components constructed at a secret military research facility in Holland, is from the Vulgate translation of John 2:17: “Mundus transit et concupiscentia eius”... “The world passeth away, and the lust thereof.”

On September 19, 2008, the US securities and exchange commission, fearing total collapse of the US stock market, banned short selling , and the Large Hadron Collider allegedly suffered a catastrophic failure. Stephen Hawking had a $100 bet that the collider would fail to find the Higgs-Boson particle, otherwise known as “The God Particle”.

On September 20, 2008, Treasury secretary Henry Paulson and Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke told Congress they must back a government buy up of $700bn dollars of bad mortgages.

We, a group of concerned individuals, have since the unveiling of the Corpus Clock been conducting heavy research concerning the creators of this clock, and the strange occult symbolism embedded within it’s design.

We are working to make our research public, in order to inform the public and allow people to draw their own conclusions about this mysterious device and its origins and purpose.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    NYC I CHOOSE YOU
    wtc-7.jpg

This is the building I do my day time posting from.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I spent ages staring at that clock when I was in Cambridge for a wedding last year! It was...interesting.

They also had the wedding in Kings College cathedral (I think, the massive pretty one) it was stunning.

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Deebaser wrote: »
    NYC I CHOOSE YOU
    wtc-7.jpg

D:

How many floors is that....?

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I do not recognise that tower and I'm from Manchester. :oops:

Also, what is the deal with that clock? It was always surrounded by a huge swarm of tourists (much like everything else in Cambridge)

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    I do not recognise that tower and I'm from Manchester. :oops:

Also, what is the deal with that clock? It was always surrounded by a huge swarm of tourists (much like everything else in Cambridge)

They built it about 5 years back iirc, it's on Deansgate near the station, Hilton Hotel till the 23rd, a bar and then apartments that are massivley overpriced. The architect has the top 2 as his penthouse with an Olive tree in there that you can see from the street...

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Ah, that makes me feel better. I've barely been back for the last five years or so.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    This is my hometown where I lived for the most of my live:
    kestila.jpg

This is the neighboring town where I live these days:
    pulkkila.jpg

reVerse on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Venkman90 wrote: »
    NYC I CHOOSE YOU
    wtc-7.jpg

D:

How many floors is that....?

52. Im not that high up though. My office is in the shadow of the Federal Building in that picture. :o

They're building WTC 1 next door. That'll be even taller O.o

Deebaser on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Deebaser i lived in NYC for 6 years and now live acorss the river in Jersey

can I still claim NYC as my town?

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Sure thing dude! :)

Deebaser on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Winder

The state park 1000 feet from there gets a half million visitors a year, but Winder sees none of their money because there's nothing to do here. One of the state's most popular MTB trails is in there and we don't even have a bicycle shop.

If one wanted to do a study on poor city planning, this is it.

MKR on
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Glasgow!

Some self taken shots:
    2682341981_16907e9f62_o.jpg

The Clyde.
    2683160686_1c278ffe3f_o.jpg

The science center, opposite end.

None self shot:
    Glasgow%20City%20NE.jpg

WMain00 on
  • Options
    Evil GummyEvil Gummy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Providence, RI I choose yoouuu~

DSCN2310.JPG

WaterfireDark.jpg

Historic_riverfront-cr-Hal-Barth_mr.jpg

Evil Gummy on
    hatsig.jpg
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    This sums up where I live pretty well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T1RMuoQnKo

He only hit about 1/10th of the Starbucks.

My hometown is Hamilton, NY - home of Colgate University, 5 pizza places, and one horse.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I live in Belleville, NJ near Nutley.
    sopranos_stern01.jpg

But we'd appreciate it if you just forgot you heard that.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    sopranos_stern01.jpg

Hah, I associate the name of that town with Uncle Junior trying to call information to get a number there.

"Please state the city."
    "Cocksucker- BELLEVILLE!"

KalTorak on
  • Options
    QuetzatcoatlQuetzatcoatl Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    This is the city I grew up in, Monterrey. Pictures shamelessly stolen from wikipedia since I'm at work.
    MTY4.jpg

A shot of one of the big landmark mountains around.
    IMG_2478.jpg

Near where I grew up, some office buildings. Most of them built in the last 10 or 15 years.
    EGADE_Monterrey_NL.jpg

Quetzatcoatl on
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    This is Utrecht:
    12-8-2009-15-34-utrecht1.jpg
    • One of the oldest Dutch cities it has more history then you can shake a stick at:
    • Started off as a Roman Fort
    • Place of formation of the Republic of the Netherlands (I received my 1st years degree in the room this was signed)
    • Birthplace of the last non-Italian to become pope up until John Paul II (We have a papal palace due to it)
    • Big ass Churchtower... that is not connected to the church for centuries.. become the middle part collapsed during a storm in 1674.
    • The city is surrounded by early 19th century forts, an effort to make a line of defense behind floodable plains against invaders. We kept with that plan even when the Germans went about with that whole flying business.

One of the more interesting artpieces, the headquarters of Dutch National Rail has a UFO on it's roof:
    image.php?id=1066&height=332&width=440&
    Of course, we have canals (Though our inner city is much smaller then Amsterdam)
    cities_utrecht.jpg
    Having been a college town for centuries, and currently the highest educated city in the country, our University has been relocating out of the city centre for decades to it's own campus de Uithof. It's a haven for architects:
    2967.jpg
    bib_utr01.jpg
    rrjpqf.jpg
    minnaert.jpg
    The last one is where Nobel laureate physicist Gerard 't Hooft teaches physics (I've had the pleasure of getting a few lectures from him)

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    empirestate1.jpg

lit up with the colors of my school for commencement
    aw ye

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I live in Arlington now, and that's been covered by the 100% accurate Arlington rap.

So I'll do my hometown. Skaneateles, NY - home of Skaneateles Lake. My favorite place in the world in the summer.

the village, from above:

ma_aerial_skaneateles_village.jpg

The pier (first one during the antique boat show):

800px-Wooden_boats_Skaneateles_2007.jpg

4636119743_325d56ae44.jpg

In the village:

4368760591_9a879c1721.jpg

2643785446_cdb018245f.jpg

Out on the lake:

2849328294_544fe6bd66.jpg

2647533231_a2a7526723.jpg

geckahn on
  • Options
    TheScrupleTheScruple The Oldest of BridgesRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Where I work:
    3754558279_0e8548eec3.jpg

Where I live:
    37152d1236026520-better-skyline-buffalo-jersey-city-jcskyline5.jpg

The elevator mentioned in my Location:
    300px-6.21.09-9thSTLightRailStationByLuigiNovi.jpg

Where I'm from:
    94a3ae94b240fb96218a1801cacf06b0_custom_665xauto.jpg

Not actually from that motel, but it's the most recognizable landmark in the town.

TheScruple on
    All prairie dogs just want to be heroes
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I can't find any pictures of the town I live in, so here's a picture of the next town over, Rochester:
    3598923-Beautiful_South_Main_St_Rochester_New_Hampshire-Rochester.jpg

The high school I went to:
    421coe_brown.jpg

EDIT: It might help if I said where I live. Barrington, NH, although I'm actually a lot closer to Strafford than the part of Barrington most people consider to be Barrington. I actually went to Strafford school.

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Obligatory District of Columbia picture. Note that, compared to a lot of big American cities, our skyline is pretty low to the ground, due to building restrictions meant to preserve the character of the District. Few buildings here are more than 12 or so stories high.

washington-dc1.jpg

We have a skyline of sorts across the river in Rosslyn, Virginia:

opt-ross-hdr-a-wm.jpg

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    Saint MadnessSaint Madness Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Dublin

We have a castle!
    DublinCastle.jpg

And a river!
    OConnellBridgeDublin.jpg

And a giant spike!
    DublinSpireDusk.jpg

Saint Madness on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I thought the building height restriction was also a security thing.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Modern Man wrote: »
    Obligatory District of Columbia picture. Note that, compared to a lot of big American cities, our skyline is pretty low to the ground, due to building restrictions meant to preserve the character of the District. Few buildings here are more than 12 or so stories high.

On the plus side, it isn't too hard to find a bitchin spot for 4th of July fireworks, amirite?

Deebaser on
  • Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Seeing chucktown as the first response in this thread is kind of surreal. It's a great place to hang out. Oh, and to be born and grow up around too.

North Charleston, on the other hand, is a suburbian hell having most of the typical urban problems without the benefits. At least the rent is good.

kaleedity on
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hoboken, where I used to go to school, had the same kind of building height restriction. I say had for a reason:
    3055266598_fb9065b8f9.jpg

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Hoboken, where I used to go to school, had the same kind of building height restriction. I say had for a reason:

Bruce Wayne didn't want anyone to have a bigger tower?

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    KalTorak wrote: »

Bruce Wayne didn't want anyone to have a bigger tower?

I imagine they just greased the right palms to get that thing up. Bribing officials for building permits is pretty much the norm these days in that town. With some of the condos they have going up as well it might just be they got rid of that ordinance.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

It was made by an old member of Corpus Christi, John C. Taylor - it turned up in 2008, so unlike most stuff in Cambridge it's a pretty new attraction. It's only exactly accurate every five minutes, and it does weird mechanical stuff from time to time, so you get a bunch of people waiting around it hoping that it'll do stuff.

Coupled with the fact that it's on a really narrow strip of pavement, and it's an accident waiting to happen. Plus it's apparently really loud when you're in the Parker Library trying to study.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    KalTorak wrote: »
    I thought the building height restriction was also a security thing.
    The restriction has been in place for a long time, well before the government was too worried about security. The original rules go back to the 1890's. If anything, the height limits make security a little tougher, since the lack of tall buildings creates easier sight lines to the White House and Capitol. Originally, the rule was that no building could be higher than the Captiol. Since 1910, the rule is that height is limited to the width of the adjacent street plus 20 feet, so a building facing a 90-foot-wide street could be only 110 feet tall. There has been some talk of changing this rule for less historic areas of the District, such as the areas closer to the Maryland border.

Modern Man wrote: »

On the plus side, it isn't too hard to find a bitchin spot for 4th of July fireworks, amirite?
    My secretary, who is about 65 and grew up in Northern Virginia, tells me what it was like back when DC was basically a small southern city. They used to pile in the car about half an hour before the fireworks started and they could easily find parking on the Mall a few blocks from the launch area. They'd be back home half an hour after the fireworks ended, with no real traffic issues. Different time, I guess.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Gatineau is a pretty typical suburb. It's the French speaking extention of Ottawa.

We have a casino
    ottawa-casino-lac-leamy.jpg

the canadian museum of civilisation
    ottawa-can-museum-civilization.JPG

the Gatineau Park
    v-gatineau-wall395.1.jpg

and lots of federal buildings like those
    2933774523_a0fe5bcb03.jpg

Jean on
    "You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    reVerse wrote: »
    This is my hometown where I lived for the most of my live:
    kestila.jpg

This is the neighboring town where I live these days:
    pulkkila.jpg
    Are the people with red roofs currently feuding with the people with blue roofs?

Because it seriously looks like an online board game of some sort.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Copenhagen:
    air%20027.jpg
    This is Nyhavn (New Harbour), the old harbour district (Confusing?We also have a centrist party called Radical Left), now tourist area:tb_copenhagen_denmark.jpg
    Rosenborg Castle in the King's Garden: rosenborg-palace-copenhagen-dk002.jpg
    I work at the cafe in this building: Folkets-Hus-2-.jpg
    My school: KUA1b_480.ashx?w=480&h=314&as=1
    The freetown Christiania, a squatted naval base that is a now a de facto self--governing neighbourhood of anarchist hippies where pot is sold openly on Pusher Street:
    2449343791_4758994daf.jpg

Wikipedia writes:
    Copenhagen has repeatedly been recognized as one of the cities with the best quality of life.[8][9][10] It is also considered one of the world's most environmentally friendly cities. The water in the inner harbour is so clean that it can be swum in, and 36% of all citizens commute to work by bicycle, every day cycling a total of 1.1 million km. Since the turn of the millennium, Copenhagen has seen a strong urban and cultural development and has been described as a boom town.[11] This is partly due to massive investments in cultural facilities as well as infrastructure and a new wave of successful designers, chefs and architects.[12]

jakobagger on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    sopranos_stern01.jpg

we really live so close to each other. I always forget. closer than any other of the jersey crowd.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I grew up here.

I now live here.

Right down the road from this.

Well, the last part. He starts in south Philly, then runs through west Philly, and then out through old city near the river (he literally runs like 30 miles in this montage, those kids followed him almost 30 blocks). Then he comes back to the Art Museum, which is where near where I actually live.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Variable wrote: »
    sopranos_stern01.jpg

we really live so close to each other. I always forget. closer than any other of the jersey crowd.

I've probably driven through your neighborhood on occasion without even knowing it.

YamiNoSenshi on