As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Neighbors have a squeaky bed for fucking

2»

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I don't think the anonymous note is passive-aggressive so much as non-confrontational, as long as it's worded correctly

I would much prefer somebody leave a nice anonymous note for me

Having an awkward conversation about it would just mean I would be awkward around that person from then on

Just don't make your note read, "I CAN HEAR YOU GUYS FUCKING. CUT IT OUT OR I'LL COME UP THERE WITH THE FIRE HOSE"

Make it courteous and don't give too many details of what you heard, aside from the squeakiness in the bed

joshofalltrades on
  • 3drage3drage Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Spray them with a spray bottle as if they were cats.

But seriously, I had some really inconsiderate upstairs neighbors. They slammed their feet down when they walked almost as if on purpose. They'd open and close drawers, run around, and there was also the squeeky bed sex. I contacted the landlords multiple times in complaint when the noises were heard after 9pm. When I got home one time, the dumbass neighbor was waiting at the bottom of the stairs asking if I reported him, I told him yes and would continue to do so every time he distrubed the peace after 9.

He started going off on me about how he pays more rent than I do, and that only his niece is there and she would never do that. Before I walked off I told him that if he continued to make noise, I would continue to report him to the landlord, it's not too difficult to be considerate of others. After awhile for the most part it died down and they eventually moved out.

My lesson is that if I ever get an apartment again it'll be the highest unit up available. Luckily my girlfriend owns a house and I'll be moving in with her in about a month and won't have to worry about it again.

3drage on
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    let them fuck for fucks sake.

Get some earplugs while you sock away enough money to rent an apartment that has better floors.

Deebaser on
  • Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I don't think the anonymous note is passive-aggressive so much as non-confrontational, as long as it's worded correctly

Having an awkward conversation about it would just mean I would be awkward around that person from then on

Just don't make your note read, "I CAN HEAR YOU GUYS FUCKING. CUT IT OUT OR I'LL COME UP THERE WITH THE FIRE HOSE"

Make it courteous and don't give too many details of what you heard, aside from the squeakiness in the bed

Alternatively, do.

If it were me, I'd prefer to be informed in this order (from favorite to least favorite)

1) Funny note
    2) face to face
    3) not funny note
    4) banging on floor/ceiling
    5) not at all

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

Alternatively, do.

If it were me, I'd prefer to be informed in this order (from favorite to least favorite)

1) Funny note
    2) face to face
    3) not funny note
    4) banging on floor/ceiling
    5) not at all

I don't think it's a stretch of the imagination to say that most people wouldn't like the assholish, confrontational, passive-aggressive note as opposed to a pleasant, anonymous and courteous note.

Sending the former would be a great deal more fun, I'm sure, but you risk really pissing your neighbor off and creating an even more awkward situation. If you send a more courteous note, you'll just be informing them that they can be heard and if you are asked if it was you, you can feel a lot more comfortable telling the truth since you weren't a jerkass. Play it safe and be nice.

joshofalltrades on
  • IogaIoga Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I would just tell them in a straight-forward, non-judgmental way and avoid doing passive-aggressive shit like cranking music while they're trying to be intimate or leaving them weird notes.

Ioga on
  • the wookthe wook Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Have you considered having loud sex back at them?

the wook on
  • SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    This thread makes me glad I own my own house and my girlfriend is renting a house. If we get so loud that the neighbors are woken up, I hope they clap and cheer for us haha. Personally, I'd try earplugs first. You don't know these people and either type of note could piss them off.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • ashridahashridah Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    This entire thread reminds me of a note our landlord left for most of the apartments in our wing of the building.

It basically mentioned that people have complained of hearing "Bedroom noises" coming from one of the apartments (without mentioning which, although the landlord privately mentioned to us that she knew whos apartment it was) and to remind all residents to be respectful.

Turns out, the landlord's 4-year old heard noises coming from an open window directly above his yard (they had the bottom floor), and asked why the woman was in pain (I've met the kid, he asks questions about EVERYthing, not surprised he noticed it).

We found it hilarious, but it's worth pointing out that there's a way to ensure that the situation doesn't get too personally confrontational. Just get the landlord to litter-bomb the entire wing of the apartment complex. Not in a confrontational way, and not passive-aggressive (well, overly), just a reminder that other people live there too. Keep in mind that said notice may ruffle the feathers of people who haven't done anything at all (we were a little paranoid about our own activities when we first got the letter, even though it wasn't about us at all)

Also, whatever happens, don't be surprised if it ends up on passiveaggressivenotes.com or something :)

ashridah on
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    That actually just happened on Sunday. The same upstairs neighbors and their buddy are big smokers and have been tossing their butts off their balcony. It was pretty bad compared to how it has been really clean around here.

So my building all got notes that said if it doesn't stop then we all get rent increases for clean up.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • ashridahashridah Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    That actually just happened on Sunday. The same upstairs neighbors and their buddy are big smokers and have been tossing their butts off their balcony. It was pretty bad compared to how it has been really clean around here.

So my building all got notes that said if it doesn't stop then we all get rent increases for clean up.

Ugh, I can tolerate smokers most of the time (unhappily, but I don't get personal with them) but the odd habits that some smokers get with their butts really ticks me off. This is one of them. Who the hell finds it that hard to use a fricking ash-tray?

ashridah on
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Three pages without this?

loud_sex.png

Tomanta on
  • TophuTophu Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I would introduce myself normally, and bring it up after they got comfortable with me.

You could, however, if you're a shy guy (which seems to be the case) complain about how loud the other neighbors are, and ask them if they have the same problem. Say this all with a 'knowing' look on your face, and they'll get the idea.

Tophu on
  • Wicked Uncle ErnieWicked Uncle Ernie Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Bang on the roof with a broom and yell at them like an old man.

Wicked Uncle Ernie on
  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    If you leave a note, just tell them they need a new mattress. Don't bring up the sex part.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Just Like ThatJust Like That Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Slip a mattress brochure and a condom under the door

Just Like That on
  • TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Masturbate in the loudest way possible.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    As someone on the other end of this problem, does anyone have tips for stopping a bed squeaking? I've got a wooden frame bed and can't tell where the noise is coming from. It's a total turn off and I'd hate to be causing this problem for someone else.

same here, took the thing apart and put it back together.

but even though it's a little better, it's still creaky as fuck.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    bwanie wrote: »
    As someone on the other end of this problem, does anyone have tips for stopping a bed squeaking? I've got a wooden frame bed and can't tell where the noise is coming from. It's a total turn off and I'd hate to be causing this problem for someone else.

same here, took the thing apart and put it back together.

but even though it's a little better, it's still creaky as fuck.

Check to make sure all the connections are tight, the screws aren't getting stripped out, etc. Maybe try cushioning the joints? Lay/line them with felt?

Arrath on
  • bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    imma try the felt bit.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Get rid of the frame and just put the boxspring and mattress on the floor. No more creaking ever.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    "Uuh, hey, I live under you guys, I think my bedroom is right under yours, kudoes and all, but do you think you could get a think carpet under your bed and maybe iron out the squeak? I don't want to be a prude or anything but I can't get much sleep. Thanks"

The Black Hunter on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    While much of it is obviously in jest, it's worth keeping in mind that all the suggestions to play loud music, cheer, applaud, use an airhorn, whatever, are likely to annoy the ever loving shit out of other neighbours, perhaps ones who can't even hear said fucking.

Not to minimize how annoying people being loud at later hours can be (my upstairs neighbour appears to have a heavy 5-9 year old living with them that stomps like a swiftly sprinting AT-ST around midnight), but whatever course you take, try to be respectful of the other people around you who might be trying to sleep, relax, or have sex at a respectfully quiet level.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!