As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Chat] keeps spinning

The Nameless OneThe Nameless One Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
Hi gang!

Well, our dnb/breaks night on the 24th was a HUGE fucking success! :D Two rooms of love and both stayed packed (dnb moreso) all night...it filled up right in the middle of my set (I opened at 10pm) and didn't calm down.

Had a few technical difficulties as the mixer was soooooooooo much more complicated than what I'm used to; it was like looking at a space shuttle control panel...all knobs and doohickeys! And the cross fader was set up weird so the tunes kept losing volume in the mix...bah! Oh, and I couldn't see the pitch sliders at all cos it was so dark and I wasn't used to the decks...it was doing my head in! All's well that ends well, though...really happy with my set even though I stuffed up a couple of drops! By all accounts, though, I smashed it...had loads of randoms come up afterwards to give me props, what a buzz!

One sad thing was that I couldn't record it as the sound guys needed the extra output to go to an extra amp they'd brought in to boost the sound with a couple of extra subs and the amp didn't take RCA in so I couldn't piggyback through that. *But* I'm going to try and get the time to record it at home this weekend, so I'll let y'all have the link when it's done :^:

Here's a few pics...note the concentration, I was quietly SHITTING myself up there! :wink:

me1.jpg
me2.jpg
idub.jpg
idubagain.jpg

The Nameless One on

• JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    moniker wrote: »
    Jameserson wrote: »
    So this is my younger cousin's teacher's explanation of the Battle of Vimy Ridge (of World War One): "We went up the ridge and took it."

That is all that was covered.

WHAT the FUCK!

What grade level/breadth of the course?

Social Studies 11. That's a history course. When I took it, we spent at least two weeks on WWI alone...

Vimy Ridge is a defining moment in Canadian military history. It was the Ocean's 11 of the First World War.

Eh, I wouldn't be too surprised then. High School social studies is generally a mile wide and an inch deep. It's not like he was in just the 20th century specifically or anything.

The course actually only covers the 20th century just past the end of the Cold War. Socials 9 and 10 cover colonisation and confederation and all that, and History 12 covers the 20th century from a global perspective. :|

James on
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Namey! When's that US tour gonna start up with all your great Oz successes?
    :wink:

moniker on
  • stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Nice work! Now it’s just a matter of time 'til you’re the next superstar.

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    As an American, Canadian history bores me so far except for Terry Fox and Nunavut.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    yowza

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Elkamil likes 'em short.

Senjutsu on
  • VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    @Elks: Good. Join us. WRT Decemberists.

VishNub on
  • Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I like this new chat. :P

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    So this is my younger cousin's teacher's explanation of the Battle of Vimy Ridge (of World War One): "We went up the ridge and took it."

WHAT the FUCK!

Social Studies 11. That's a history course. When I took it, we spent at least two weeks on WWI alone...

Vimy Ridge is a defining moment in Canadian military history. It was the Ocean's 11 of the First World War.

Eh, I wouldn't be too surprised then. High School social studies is generally a mile wide and an inch deep. It's not like he was in just the 20th century specifically or anything.

The course actually only covers the 20th century just past the end of the Cold War. Socials 9 and 10 cover colonisation and confederation and all that, and History 12 covers the 20th century from a global perspective. :|

If I remember correctly, my grade 10 History course devoted a week to Vimy Ridge and the after effects of it. It's really strange to hear that it was barely mentioned elsewhere. I mean, what other major Canadian battle are they going to cover?

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
    edited April 2007
    Edgewood wrote: »

WHAT the FUCK!

If I remember correctly, my grade 10 History course devoted a week to Vimy Ridge and the after effects of it. It's really strange to hear that it was barely mentioned elsewhere. I mean, what other major Canadian battle are they going to cover?

What major Canadian battles are there?

moniker on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited April 2007
    Huargh. Man, that chocolate cake I ate (and not much else for the entire evening) really didn't agree with my stomach.

Let's just say that it came out the other end in pretty much the same form as it went in.

Echo on
    edited April 2007
    Echo wrote: »
    Huargh. Man, that chocolate cake I ate (and not much else for the entire evening) really didn't agree with my stomach.

Let's just say that it came out the other end in pretty much the same form as it went in.

Is it reusable?

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    edited April 2007
    Edgewood wrote: »

WHAT the FUCK!

BC education system is a little different from Ontario so the courses differ a bit when it comes to order.

You've got Vimy Ridge, Third Battle of Ypres, Operation Overlord, invasion of Italy (I don't remember what it was called). I don't really remember too much about the older stuff, but there are quite a few.

James on
    edited April 2007

That might explain how you got the stomach ache in the first place.

moniker on
  • Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Jesus Christ. Why does Elks keep locking chat's at page 52?

Gorilla Salad on
  • The Nameless OneThe Nameless One Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Awww, my vewwy own chat thwead! <3

The Nameless One on
    edited April 2007
    Senor Fish wrote: »

moniker on
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Senor Fish wrote: »

He is too slow for 42.

Incenjucar on
    edited April 2007
    Saburbia wrote: »

Is it reusable?

Sorry, already flushed.

Repeatedly.

Echo on
  • Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I had one too. There were lots of fun things on the first page.

Gorilla Salad on
    edited April 2007
    In WW 1 & 2?

In WW 1: Vimy Ridge, and a number of battles on the western front (following Somme, German troops were terrified to face Canadian "Shock Troopers"), St. Lucia.

In WW 2: some involvement in the battle of Britain and the battle of the Atlantic, Dieppe, the Juno Beach part of the Normandy invasion, Scheldt, the battles along the Rhine, the invasion of Sicilly.

There's some other stuff I'm forgetting

Senjutsu on
    edited April 2007
    I demand that the store beam my 360 over here right this second! It's been hours since I placed the order!

Echo on
    edited April 2007
    Weren't we to first ones to reach Sicilly and had to wait for the americans to come before celebrating or something. I remember hearing one of my teachers say something about that.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
  • The Nameless OneThe Nameless One Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Gotsta get back to work, guys...much love to y'all, I'll try and pop in laterz!

The Nameless One on
    edited April 2007
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    In WW 1 & 2?

In WW 1: Vimy Ridge, and a number of battles on the western front (following Somme, German troops were terrified to face Canadian "Shock Troopers"), St. Lucia.

In WW 2: some involvement in the battle of Britain and the battle of the Atlantic, Dieppe, the Juno Beach part of the Normandy invasion, Scheldt, the battles along the Rhine, the invasion of Sicilly.

If I may add, the soldiers at Juno Beach suffered a casualty rate around 50%, that's the second highest rate under Omaha, during the assault, and had gotten further than any of the other divisions that landed.

James on
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Ya, seriously moniker, we kicked a ton of ass in WW I and II. We were also on time.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    We just let you get there first so you could have some pancakes and maple syrup ready for us.

Incenjucar on
  • OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    The only thing that interests me about Canadian military history is that my Polish grandfather was able to leave Europe after World War 1 because he defected from the Polish military and joined a Canadian mercenary unit. He and his wife got brought over the puddle in the aftermath, and that was that.

Also, apparently, all of his three brothers were Jewish horse thieves who were later caught and hung for being horse thieves-- that's the explanation given me for why my family turned away from its Judaic roots for the most part. They died-- as three horse thieves. ?_?

Oboro on
    words
    edited April 2007
    Weren't we to first ones to reach Sicilly and had to wait for the americans to come before celebrating or something. I remember hearing one of my teachers say something about that.

On the beach or at Messina? Because Patton won Messina.

moniker on
    edited April 2007
    In WW 1 & 2?

If I may add, the soldiers at Juno Beach suffered a casualty rate around 50%, that's the second highest rate under Omaha, during the assault, and had gotten further than any of the other divisions that landed.
    It was 50% in the first hour, actually. Juno was the second most fortified invasion site, Omaha being the first.

Senjutsu on
  • OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    Oh, and I'm leaving to play LotR:O, but let me leave with this since it seems popular at the moment--

When we arrive, sons and daughters
    We'll make our homes, on the water
    We'll build our walls, aluminum
    We'll fill our mouths, with cinnamon now
    :whistle:

(Night [chat].)

Oboro on
    words
    edited April 2007

On the beach or at Messina? Because Patton won Messina.

Messina was the US landing point. I think he's thinking of the British troops. They landed at Syracuse, where there was no real opposition.

Edit: The Winter Line campaign in Italy was one of the major ones I knew I was forgetting.

Senjutsu on
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    52 pages? Elk, you've gone too far.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Didn't Canada also liberate Holland?

nexuscrawler on
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Yet another [chat]? Man, what's going on here? Are we doing daily [chat] threads or something?

Richy on
    sig.gif
    edited April 2007

That's the Scheldt campaign, yeah. Some places in Belgium and the Netherlands will still treat you like royalty if they find out you're Canadian

Senjutsu on
    edited April 2007

Yes. That was all part of D-Day and it's aftermath.

James on
    edited April 2007

That's the Scheldt campaign, yeah. Some places in Belgium and the Netherlands will still treat you like royalty if they find out you're Canadian

Free beer!

James on
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Free beer!

Totally.

Wearing a Canadian flag on your backpack will get you some nice treatment in some places. Apparently Americans will occasionally wear a Canadian flag so they don't get accosted.

Evil Multifarious on
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Free beer!

Totally.

Wearing a Canadian flag on your backpack will get you some nice treatment in some places. Apparently Americans will occasionally wear a Canadian flag so they don't get accosted.

unless of course theres some major international hockey event going on, then you'll get destroyed

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
This discussion has been closed.