As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Photoshop thread: Sony patents a new sort of "emotion engine"

1303132333436»

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    LewieP wrote: »
    New sony patent.

For some kind of "Dual Screen" device. I wonder where they got that idea.

New Sony patent means new Sony patent drawings. Sadly, they ain't that funny.
    sonydualtabletlg1.jpg

sonydualtabletlg2.jpg

'And we shall call it the PSP:BS (BrickShitter)! Brilliant! And oh so new!'

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    All I got:
    alligot.jpg

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    You've succeeded in making me crave waffles.

Bastard.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    2i07uxw.jpg

Trying to emulate Nintendo with everything they have

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    Lars_DomusLars_Domus Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    man i thought patent drawings were supposed to be all crazy in depth and such

this basically amounts to "okay it's a foldy thing with two screens, one for input, one for display, maybe some buttons on the side"

Actually, Sony's detailed patent drawings are rather inspiring me to get some patents of my own, so I've invented this thing:

astoundingpatent.gif

I'd go through it with you guys, but it's so self explanatory I'd probably just be insulting your intelligence.

Lars_Domus on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Lars_Domus wrote: »

this basically amounts to "okay it's a foldy thing with two screens, one for input, one for display, maybe some buttons on the side"

Actually, Sony's detailed patent drawings are rather inspiring me to get some patents of my own, so I've invented this thing:

astoundingpatent.gif

I'd go through it with you guys, but it's so self explanatory I'd probably just be insulting your intelligence.

Too late, I patented that last week. Sucker. Now I'm gonna sue you so hard.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Lars_DomusLars_Domus Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

[IMG]http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/4461/astoundingpatent.gif[/I MG] I'd go through it with you guys, but it's so self explanatory I'd probably just be insulting your intelligence.[/img]

Too late, I patented that last week. Sucker. Now I'm gonna sue you so hard.

Fuck. Shoulda known someone had already thought of that.

Well, here's a proper 'shop for good measure.

sonydrink.gif

Lars_Domus on
  • Options
    DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

astoundingpatent.gif

If they made an adult size with a built in water bong, I would totally buy 4 of em!

DaveTheWave on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    What the hell is wrong with that guy?
    kinect-uspto-2010-08-0515-24-06-rm-eng.jpg

Couscous on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited August 2010
    He's twirling his imaginary mustache.

You don't see it because you didn't buy the DLC.

Echo on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Am I the only one that thinks 'flatlining' when I see that line underneath him?

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    He's playing "Kinectimind flayer"

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I think we could put a Move controller in his hand, he will be playing Earwaxman.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    A new patent restores strength to a old dormant photoshop.

Behold
    Laughing Kinect Man
    kinectuspto201008051523.jpg

LewieP on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Oh god, it's the Laughing Man Megazord.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    These new drawings are pretty boring, but I'm always pleased to see this thread resurface for a quick re-skim.

Still very proud of my submission >.<

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Every time this thread gets bumped an angel gets his wings.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Oh god, it's the Laughing Man Megazord.

and now I can't get American season one's theme song out of my head.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    driver01zdriver01z Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I just had to jump in and say the Dali pic on page 24 is TEH AWESOME.

That is all.

driver01z on
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Thanks for resurrecting this thread, that creepy laughing man should never leave this forum.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    Thank you for the enjoyment. Found this thread through the industry thread and have received much joy.

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    This is one of funniest threads on here. What page # are those SVG icons of the creepy face on?

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    We should bug Sporky to change the OP so that we get all this crazy fun all over again with the new Sony patent.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Quoting myself!

Shadowfire wrote:
    I didn't see this posted elsewhere already but... now there's this gem.
    Sony filed for an interesting patent in 2010 that shows it has technology that resembles Nintendo’s upcoming Wii U game console. Titled Position-Dependent Gaming 3-D controller, and Handheld as a Remote, the patent shows that the game company is at the very least interested in a controller or mobile device with a built-in display to be used as an input device for a console game.

The concept is similar to the Wii U, which was unveiled at E3 last year. The device shows objects onscreen and interacts with the objects on the television while acting as a controller. It suggest that the next-generation game consoles will embrace touchscreen tablets in a big way.

Below is a description of how the device is supposed to function:

Methods and systems for using a position of a mobile device with an integrated display as an input to a video game or other presentation are presented. Embodiments include rendering an avatar on a mobile device such that it appears to overlay a competing user in the real world. Using the mobile device’s position, view direction, and the other user’s mobile device position, an avatar (or vehicle, etc.) is depicted at an apparently inertially stabilized location of the other user’s mobile device or body. Some embodiments may estimate the other user’s head and body positions and angles and reflect them in the avatar’s gestures.

The device is position-dependent, and the application only describes it as a “mobile device,” so it’s difficult to know whether it’s a handheld such as the PlayStation Vita or a separate game controller designed for a future console. Still, it’s only a patent application, and Sony may only be covering their bases for future control possibilities.

It has been said in the past that the PlayStation Vita and PlayStation 3 combination can do what Nintendo’s Wii U can do. Perhaps Sony was way ahead of us on that one.

Check out the additional images below:
    sony-patent-app-2-e1328198681737.png
    sony-patent-app-3-e1328198786678.png

You folks who are good with photoshop.. get to work! ;-)

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    I don't even... what?

What am I looking at?

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    We should bug Sporky to change the OP so that we get all this crazy fun all over again with the new Sony patent.

Nah, I just don't know if that new stuff has the same potential. If anything it should have its own new thread, but I doubt it will be quite the same.

I mean, notice we tried this a couple of times before in the last couple pages.

But I love this thread and hope someday it gets properly archived.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky