As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Filling your time before you die.

• Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    nstf wrote: »
    Model Railroading, the world's greatest Hobby.

No, that would be warhammer, which is also the worlds biggest VISA friend.

but...but...they got a website an' everything!

http://www.greatesthobby.com/

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I also brew beer.

Hi5 to homebrewers.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I like to do precision shooting. I need a lot more money to really be competitive, but my stock Tikka T3 .204 can do .5 MOA at 100 yards fairly consistently. I need to do more work with the ammunition I think. Maybe. I'm thinking of getting a .338 Lapua Magnum for longer range stuff (The .204 is pretty well done at 600 yards, I'd like to start doing 1000 yards+). Probably will start with a Remmy 700 receiver and go from there.

I do a lot of writing, well, I used to. Ever since starting my current job I've been writing less and less. This job can be exhausting. Anyway, I still like to conceptualize stuff, develop rough stories or outlines, even if I never work on them.

I used to build and paint models, want to get back into it. I have a huge model of an AH-64 that I've never built. Had it for like 10 years now. Models can be a bit of a trial, though. I've moved a lot and the two models that I still had (An F-18 and a MiG-29) ended up slowly falling apart bit by bit each move. It was too much to keep them together, so now I have no finished models. I'm leery about starting it up again until I know I'm done moving for a long period of time.

I do a little photography with my friends. They are really into it, I tag along sometimes. The most fun is when we do high speed photography. Can end up with awesome stuff of glass exploding, water droplets, etc. Got some cool stuff I can't look up while at work. :P

Nova_C on
  • BiosysBiosys Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Video games, and skateboarding. Mostly the second one now.

Been skating for almost two years, and just recently got really into it, and anywhere near half-decent at it. Only downside to skating is, as a young kid on a skateboard, most people assume I've just commited a crime, am about to commit a crime, or am thinking really hard about doing so. It's normally more humorous than anything, although it does get a little annoying when people go out of their way to be arseholes for no good reason.

Most definitely still worth it though.

Biosys on
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2010
    you ever tried longer range stuff, nova

Organichu on
  • Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Did you ever see that movie Wordplay, about crossword puzzle enthusiasts? I'm one of those. My girlfriend got me into it only recently, and I've going through the archives of NYT crosswords and doing them compulsively. I've always loved puns, anagrams, obscure vocabulary and all kinds of linguistic gymnastics, and crossword puzzles are all of that in concentrated form. It's like crack to me. I've even been trying my hand at making my own crossword puzzles with some program I downloaded that fills in blanks for you. but it turns out it's much harder than it looks. I've only made a couple for my girlfriend so far, but I plan to improve my word skills, perhaps one day even get some published.

Crimson King on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Crosswords are fun, but I got burnt out on doing them solo one summer. When I was in highschool, my dad and sister and I, and sometimes my mom would do the NYT one together every evening. Between our combined fields of knowledge we got most everything covered. Monday's would go down in 15-20 minutes. Friday's we might spend 2 hours on. It was a ton of fun. We still do it when we're visiting the grandparents and that's all there is to do in the afternoon.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Rock climbing! Not that pussy shit with ropes son, it's just me and the rock up there. I don't go as high, but really, what difference does it make? A guy on a rope is gonna fall 2-6 feet on average while I'm going to fall 10+ feet on average and hit the ground. Ropes are for little girls.

Also gonna start swimming here pretty soon so I can become a superhuman.

Other than that, I play games, listen to tons of music, watch movies and I also like to create pixel art when the mood strikes me.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Biosys wrote: »

Been skating for almost two years, and just recently got really into it, and anywhere near half-decent at it. Only downside to skating is, as a young kid on a skateboard, most people assume I've just commited a crime, am about to commit a crime, or am thinking really hard about doing so. It's normally more humorous than anything, although it does get a little annoying when people go out of their way to be arseholes for no good reason.

Haha yeah I got a longboard in March. I suck at it and, since I had a nasty road rash about a month and a half ago, I can't help but pussy out every time I see a hill now. I've sworn to get better at it at some point, especially since I have pads now.

Mortal Sky on
  • RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I do a lot of this
    skiing.jpg

And when I'm not doing that, I'm playing my bass, hanging out with friends, working out, running, or reading interesting books. Oh, I also play some videya games.

Robman on
  • [Michael][Michael] Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Caving, hiking, canoeing, and scuba diving are about the only outdoor things I do. I guess it's warm enough for scuba diving now, so I should probably get on that.

Also working out and reading for other non-internet related activities. Video games used to top the list, but I've been playing them less and less for a while now.

[Michael] on
  • BiosysBiosys Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Mortal Sky wrote: »

Haha yeah I got a longboard in March. I suck at it and, since I had a nasty road rash about a month and a half ago, I can't help but pussy out every time I see a hill now. I've sworn to get better at it at some point, especially since I have pads now.

Same, wrecked trying a bs disaster on a quarter a month or so ago, dislocated my thumb (hardly a injury, but still) and bruised my legs and whatnot, and I've only just started to get back on the ramps. Keeping at it just worked for me, eventually your body'll get the point that it's not gonna break into millions of tiny pieces if you try to skate tranny/bomb a hill, or whatever.

Biosys on
    edited May 2010
    Organichu wrote: »
    you ever tried longer range stuff, nova

Yeah, plenty of 800 and 1000 yards with my friend's Remington 700 milspec .308. He's got some great consistency with it and we've hit head sized targets at 1000 yards pretty often. It's a little tougher at those ranges outside because at my uncle's farm where we usually shoot the wind is almost always gusting.

Nova_C on
  • KistraKistra Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I do agility with my dog. Gets us both outside and running around. I also play D&D with my friends.

Used to do a lot of shooting. Nova, if you are worried about cost there is nothing better to practice with than a .22. Or an airrifle, that way you can train inside your house. I shot a lot of .22 year round in high school and college and competed in service rifle two or three times a year and did just fine because of all the .22 training. You will also learn a lot about reading the wind shooting a .22 at 100 yards.

Kistra on
    Animal Crossing: City Folk Lissa in Filmore 3179-9580-0076
    edited May 2010
    Kistra wrote: »
    I do agility with my dog. Gets us both outside and running around. I also play D&D with my friends.

Used to do a lot of shooting. Nova, if you are worried about cost there is nothing better to practice with than a .22. Or an airrifle, that way you can train inside your house. I shot a lot of .22 year round in high school and college and competed in service rifle two or three times a year and did just fine because of all the .22 training. You will also learn a lot about reading the wind shooting a .22 at 100 yards.

I have a Ruger 10/22 with some mods:
    custom4.jpg

As well as a Lakefield (Now Savage Arms I think) repeater .22. I want to do long range stuff, I'm great with the .22 and .204, but I can't do either at 1000 yards. :P It'll just take a little time is all, then I'll get something bigger. I do lots of shooting though, especially the .204, so it's not like I'm waiting for a big calibre or anything.

EDIT: The scope on that Ruger has been replaced by a better Weaver scope with lower scope rings. Just don't have a shot that shows off the entire rifle since putting the new scope on it.

Nova_C on
  • Emissary42Emissary42 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I build battlebots. I'm working on my first personally owned (non-team, non-collaboration) robot at the moment, a one pound antweight class battlebot. In fact, I've been considering starting a thread up in Artist's Corner following the progression from start to finish.

Other than that, I run, play video games, read lots, and dabble in the growing carnivorous plants.
    Yes, I have kept a venus flytrap alive for more than a week.

Emissary42 on
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited May 2010
    I like to do some wacky and ridiculous stuff ... case in point, this is what I'm doing in September:

warrior-dash.jpg

What is that you may ask? A 3.2 mile obstacle course run!

I've never done it, but it looks amazing. 13 different obstacles, all day rock concert, and beeeeeeer! I'm excited for leaping over the pit of fire and traversing the slate rock wall.

I will attempt to not die (since I'm a fucking warrior and all), but you never know.

I might be there with the "Glitter Fairy Army," running in the 9AM heat.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited May 2010
    Dancing, film-watching, and reading. Running, too, but not as much as I used to.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • saggiosaggio Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Horticulture. I grow vegetables and exotic things like citrus outside in Canada.

saggio on
    3DS: 0232-9436-6893
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Growing things is cool. The wife and I have been growing things here and there for so long, I barely think about it anymore. It's just part of our lifestyle. Tomatoes, herbs, and peppers for the most part. I'd like to get some beans going, and maybe some potatoes and onions too.

Drake on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I...
    Read, play action games trying to capture and relive visceral moments because my shitty knees no longer let me do cool shit in real life, learn about random shit, spend time with my gf, play a fighting game at the local arcade.

That's about all the stuff I have time for right now what with all the studying I have to do.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • BioHaz594BioHaz594 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Most of my free time usually ends up going towards reading (books, internet, this forum) or watching movies lately.

I started doing jewelry about a year ago, and I am enjoying it immensely. Looking into buying some tools so I can work at home over the summer. Recently I crocheted copper wire and finished a fine silver ring casted from a wax master I carved. From doing this, I have declared it to be a Very expensive hobby if your're serious about it. Good tools are not cheap, nor is any material/metal worth wearing.

Now that have a motorcycle, I started riding that in the evenings after work and on the weekends just crusin' without a particular destination on the hills and freeways. It's also my daily commuter for work now.

Still playing video & board games with my friends when we can sync our schedules and meet for some rounds. I am bummed that a once weekly occurrence of drunken game night has become a bi-monthly thing at best.

I have been meaning to start drawing again regularly. I dropped $texas on a Cintiq 20WSX and a second machine to drive it years ago, but it just sits on my desk, begging to be used and sad from being ignored.

Thats how I spend my time outside of work.

BioHaz594 on
    orgblk_m50le_sig1.png
  • Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I drink a lot.

Uh.

I write and paint; and I go sailing from time to time in the summer, although these days I'm at the mercy of friends-of-friends since my family no longer has a boat. I keep a heavily planted aquarium (more for the plants than the fish, really) and grow all kinds of plants in the house. I run. I drink a gallon of sugar free soda daily. I spend every extra cent on travel (actually I'm already in debt because of travel expenses), mostly within Europe. I did rock climbing when I was younger, and I've been thinking about taking it up again while I'm still in reasonably good shape, if I find someone to go with me, although I'm clumsy as hell nowadays so I'll probably die.

Also, I'm optimistic about having things to do at old age. I know when I'm like 100 and too old to do anything in real life, I can just transfer my entire life to the internet and online games.

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    I play video games, watch TV and movies and surf the internet. Is there really something wrong with that?

Fizban140 on
  • RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    I play video games, watch TV and movies and surf the internet. Is there really something wrong with that?

If it leaves you happy and fulfilled, sure. If it doesn't, well, I think you know where this is going.

Robman on
  • Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I metal detect. We find old aerial maps, locate buildings that no longer exist out in the forest preserves, and then hike miles upon miles through the forest. It's a great way to get some exercise and still do something mildly productive. If you don't go crazy with your initial investment, you can even earn back your money in relatively short order.

If I'm not out in the woods, I'm usually at the playgrounds. It's a lot more productive, money wise, than the campsites and farmsteads, because apparently kids these days just go to the playground to throw quarters at each other. It's also a bigger hassle, what with parents giving me the stink eye and kids wanting to know if I can metal detect them. By the way, monkeybars = goldmines.

Atlas in Chains on
  • Ziac45Ziac45 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I do a lot of video gaming and Warhammer. Tons of hours spent socializing and creating unique models it's great. When I'm feeling energetic I like biking the trails in my hometown and going Kayaking out on the lake. Would really love to get into Kendo or fencing as well as picking up maybe a dirt bike or street Motorcycle to ride around on. Also the obvious weight lifting a couple days a week to keep in shape and I am even starting to enjoy it.

Ziac45 on
  • nstfnstf __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010

Nope. Considering this is an internet forum based on video games, I don't think anybody here would find anything wrong with that.

nstf on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Nope. Considering this is an internet forum based on video games, I don't think anybody here would find anything wrong with that.

When I was a young lad going outside was something we did all the time I don't know why you younguns sit around all day- BANG!

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • BioHaz594BioHaz594 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

When I was a young lad going outside was something we did all the time I don't know why you younguns sit around all day- BANG!

It is a really good card game, I could see why people would sit around and play it all day.

BioHaz594 on
    orgblk_m50le_sig1.png
  • SkulkrakenSkulkraken Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    All I really do these days is browse the internet, and play PC games. I also intern for Hardcore Gamer magazine.

Skulkraken on
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Mortal Sky wrote: »

Same, wrecked trying a bs disaster on a quarter a month or so ago, dislocated my thumb (hardly a injury, but still) and bruised my legs and whatnot, and I've only just started to get back on the ramps. Keeping at it just worked for me, eventually your body'll get the point that it's not gonna break into millions of tiny pieces if you try to skate tranny/bomb a hill, or whatever.

Yeah I'm thinking if this weekend's weather stays good, I might just take Yvv out for a spin. She's a custom LongboardLarry Komodo Dancer, so not the best for hills but damn she can do some tricks and hills can be carved pretty easily. My neighborhood is ridiculously hilly, so I pretty much have to learn to carve. The trucks are nice Holeys, but they're so wobbly that going above 15 is difficult without a buttload of tightening. I found this out the hard way. I also need to break the wheels in so I can bust slides out for easier carving. But yeah, i just need practice and free time. And balls.

Mortal Sky on
  • [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    jujitsu

Choke_180.jpg

(it took me like half an hour of googling to find a pic that represents BJJ to people who don't know what it is)

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Most of my hobbies revolve around my computer, but the primary non gaming one is writing. I love writing poetry, short stories, editing religious texts to be more artistic. And i've been working on a book series lately, but being my attention to detail perfectionist self, it's going to be a while before I seek any publication.

Other then that, I do gardening in my front lawn and I recently started to learn to fish. I like to draw and paint off and on. I also golf sometimes.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Flying (and jumping out of) planes.

Done a few tandems and one solo-freefall. Want to get licensed but lots of dollars.

Same goes for a pilot's license. About 9k I don't feel comfortable dropping right now. Maybe soon though.

It is amazing though when you first jump out of the plane and don't immediately have a sense of direction for the first few seconds. I loved it and have been looking at getting my license recently, as I can do the rest of the steps all in one go over the course of a weekend. And once you've got that it becomes much cheaper.

I'm not so much for the pilot side of things though. I just like the jumping.

Edit: Sadly skiing is not for me, I have issues stopping and turning which the side of a mountain is a bad thing.

Snowboarding I like though.

Kelor on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    My wife and I go out to the range on occasion and shoot.

We also own a telescope (a good 6" dobsonian), and any time there's a clear night that we don't work the next day, we head out and stay out until midnight (at least) looking at the stars/planets.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Yeah, I never meant it that way, sorry if the OP came off like that.

I went to that kite festival for a few hours yesterday. Apparently I have a new hobby of getting terribly sun burned on my arms.

chamberlain on
  • QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I write fantasy about animal rights and Muslims and robots and shit.

I also enjoy getting high and watching David Attenborough-narrated nature videos.

In addition, I have taken at least 1,800 medium-to-high-quality photographs of my cat.

I don't play any videogames anymore, which makes me sad. I worry I've lost a part of myself that was capable of enjoying the medium.

Qingu on
  • SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Videogames, obviously. I also watch a lot of movies and TV shows.

I play board games (such as BANG!) but not as much as I used to.

I write comedy. I'm trying to get enough material to do a small standup act. I'm constantly on the prowl for things to turn into jokes.

I code. I'm a programmer and enjoy making websites.

I am saving up for a camera so I can get into photography. I always want a camera with me.

I also want to read more.

I am a pretty big nerd, actually.

[EDIT] I also love collecting. Everything. Right now I'm big on movies, music, books, Beatles, and games especially. And gaming memorabilia.

SirUltimos on
  • 3drage3drage Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Since I'm fairly new to AZ, I've been exploring all over the place. There's video games but I'm sure most of us do that. I swim every chance I get. Rest of my time is filled with watching movies with my girlfriend, or going out with friends and checking out different places to eat or visit.

3drage on