As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Un]Official PA WH40K Gaming League! Get your fight on!

• Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm in (Nids, GMT-6.) I don't think I'll be able to play one this evening, though, as I need to put a list together, learn download and learn VASSAL, and spend time with my girlfriend. May I recommend we kick off next Sunday, so as to give everyone plenty of time to set stuff up (it's a holiday weekend in the US.)

I'm also kinda curious why we're playing at 1k instead of the traditional 1.5, as a lot of armies scale down very poorly.

Salvation122 on
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So I was messing around with this just now and I'm really disappointed in the IG selection. Whomever re-did the IG models and took out my sprites did a crappy job. You can barely tell what some of the weapons are. Plus half the stuff is missing. There is only a Sentinel in the fast attack slot. No hellhounds or Rough Riders. I did make sprites for those.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    You have one week from tonight to get your game in. Today is the end of sign-up and the start of the first gaming period.

I went with 1k because as well as being a trial run for league playing, 1.5k is a lot more stuff to deal with, especially if you're just getting started using Vassal, as well as it's really only when you get below 1k that you start running into scaling as an issue.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Does this mean I missed it?

I'm in the Central (US) time zone and would be down for some Chaos romps. Have Vassal and everything

Moridin889 on
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The deadline for signup is in one hour, so I'll add you in.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • NODeNODe Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So I was messing around with this just now and I'm really disappointed in the IG selection. Whomever re-did the IG models and took out my sprites did a crappy job. You can barely tell what some of the weapons are. Plus half the stuff is missing. There is only a Sentinel in the fast attack slot. No hellhounds or Rough Riders. I did make sprites for those.

Most of the factions seem to be lacking, although obviously you have reason to be especially annoyed.

NODe on
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Ah what the hell, I'm in, I need to get more experience anyway. Eastern time zone, so GMT -5, I'll be playing Eldar. What's the deadline for having your army list in?

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
    edited May 2010
    You don't need to submit your list, I'm expecting the honor system will be adequate to ensure people abide by the thousand point limit and don't switch lists between games. We're all friends here, yeah?
    NODe wrote: »
    Most of the factions seem to be lacking, although obviously you have reason to be especially annoyed.
    I don't know how to edit Vassal modules (yet) but some of you here do, yah? Since GW forced 40K Vassal to cease operations, it's going to just keep falling further behind. If we have the capability to make it better, (especially since Tim has already completed some of the work) there's no reason not to do so.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Did you close signups? I was away this weekend and just got back.

If not, I'm in, and I'll even throw down with Eldar.

oh, UK, so GMT. Night Owl though, so i can probably play most people with a little notice.

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2010
    I am hanging out online right now, if anyone wants to test stuff out.

ElderCat on
    IWBRLjC.png
    edited May 2010
    All right, first week match-ups have been posted in the OP. Check it over, make sure I haven't overlooked anyone or gotten their army wrong. You all know have until next Sunday 5:00 p.m. GMT-4 to finish your game and report the results in this thread (whether you want to just say A won, give a full battle report, etc is up to you. Ultimately, I just need to know who won, who lost, who drew).

@Apogee: I've got family stuff tonight, but from tomorrow mid-afternoon on I'll be free to game. After that, weekday evenings I should be good.

Gabriel_Pitt on
    edited May 2010

Thanks to Smurfy I figured it out. It's just an error with how the windows are laid out, one of the selection windows isn't expanding properly, here is where the menu to select other fast attack units is:
    v40kfix.jpg

It maximizes the window where the unit sprite is so you have to resize that window in order to see the other options.

ElderCat on
    IWBRLjC.png
    edited May 2010
    cool stuff.
    I'm GMT +0 gabe, sorry if you missed my edit :P

Right, now to work out what the hell a 1k eldar army looks like.

Dayspring on
  • SmurfySmurfy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hey folks, new here, asked to join up by Eldercat.

Name is Smurfy on V40k, but I might browse here since I had to post here anyway.

Army - Space Marines

Do I have to send in a list to anyone?

I can help ANYONE with VASSAL issues, I've used the program for 2 years now.

I'm at Pacific Standard Time, if that's a issue.

Smurfy on
  • It BurnsIt Burns Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    My Vassal menus still go blank sometimes. Anything you know about that?

I already updated Java.

It Burns on
    The slowest painter. Ever.
    edited May 2010
    I have penny arcade hangout open right now its just me and Smurfy putting our army lists together.

ElderCat on
    IWBRLjC.png
  • SpherickSpherick Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Pollo: I can play tomorrow if thats good with you. I haven't played using vassal yet and I was going to read the manual tonight.

Spherick on
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Sageinrage, I will be on and around most of tomorrow but will be busy between 4 and probably about 7 est because I will be watching the Rockies vs. Giants. But clear otherwise. I am free most of the week being unemployed atm. Just send me a pm and we can work something out.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
    edited May 2010
    Should we post our lists in here?
    I think I'm gunna take a Nightspinner, because they're new and shiny and I want to try one out

Dayspring on
  • SpherickSpherick Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Grandfather's Little Helpers:
    Prince w/ wings & warptime

6x Plague Marines w/ Rhino & 2 flamers
    Champ w/ Fist

6x Plague Marines w/ Rhino & 2 melta
    Champ w/ Fist

7x Plague Marines w/ 2 plasmaguns

1x Oblit
    1x Oblit

Spherick on
  • SmurfySmurfy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Darkwings!

==Darkwing Ducks 1k Codex: Space Marines==
    HQ: Captain - Space Marine Bike, Relic Blade, Bolt Pistol, Iron Halo, Frag & Krak Grenades

Command Squad (5) - Space Marine Bikes, Frag & Krak Grenades
    2: Lightning Claws, Storm Shields, Meltaguns
    1: Lightning Claw, Storm Shield, Bolt Pistol
    1: Thunder Hammer, Storm Shield, Bolt Pistol
    1: Apothecary - Bolt Pistol, Close Combat Weapon

TR: 9 Space Marine Bikes Squad - Space Marine Bikes, Frag & Krak Grenades
    A: 5 Bikes - 2 Meltaguns, 2 Bolt Pistols, 1 Sergeant
    B: 4 Bikes - 3 Bolt Pistols, 1 Multi-Melta Attack Bike

TR: 5 Space Marine Bikes Squad - Space Marine Bikes, Frag & Krak Grenades
    A: 5 Bikes - 2 Meltaguns, 2 Bolt Pistols, 1 Sergeant
    ==1000/1000==

Smurfy on
    edited May 2010
    Yme-Loc, Yme-King

Autarch
    Fusion gun, Laser Lance, Jet bike, Mandiblasters

(4) Shining Spears
    3 spears and an exarch with a star lance and a shuriken cannon

(7) Guardian Jetbikes
    6 guardians, including 2 shuriken cannons. 1 Warlock with Singing Spear and Destructor

(7) Guardian Jetbikes
    6 guardians, including 2 shuriken cannons. 1 Warlock with Singing Spear and Destructor

Fire Prism
    no upgrades

Night Spinner
    Spirit Stones, Star Engines

997 points

Dayspring on
  • altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Altmann's raiders:

HQ:
    Rune Priest
    Jaws/Living LIghtning (orange)

Rune Priest
    Jaws/Murderous Hurricane (green)

Troops:
    Grey hunters x 9 (orange)
    Wolf Standard
    Melta gun
    Mark of the Wulfen
    Rhino

Grey hunters x 9 (Green)
    Wolf Standard
    Melta gun
    Mark of the Wulfen
    Rhino

Grey Hunters x 5 (purple)
    Melta Gun
    Razorback (Heavy Bolter)

Longfangs x 6
    Missile Launcher x 5

Dreadnought (multimelta)
    Drop Pod

altmann on
    Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
    edited May 2010
    Meh... still having problems with vassal. If anyone is playing a game let me know so I can see how it all works.

It Burns on
    edited May 2010
    I am still torn on what army to run. The black legion army I think is more functional now, but Slaanesh and noise of awesome.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
    edited May 2010
    This is getting annoying. Right now I can barely do anything before any button or right click menu just turns blank whenever the cursor passes over it. I reinstalled Vassal, Java is the latest version according to the website, and I'm using windows XP. I doubt I'll be able to play like this.

It Burns on
    edited May 2010
    What version of vassal are you using?

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
    edited May 2010
    3.1.14 and 40k module version 5.2

It Burns on
    edited May 2010
    Hmm...check the vassal tech forums, seems there are some strange problems with later xp updates with flickering and such. I am trying to dig through the forum but I haven't had that problem on vista or win7 which is what I have vassal on.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
    edited May 2010
    The List with no name, that also probably sucks

Farseer (doom, guide, spirit stones, jetbike)

10x Dire Avengers (exarch, dual catapults, bladestorm)
    - Wave serpent (shuriken cannon)

10x Dire Avengers (exarch, dual catapults, bladestorm)

5x Rangers

Fire Prism

Fire Prism

2x War Walker (dual scatter lasers)

999 points

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • AsherAsher Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I just got it working. I'm on know as "Asher" if any one wants to muck around with me.

Asher on
    I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
    edited May 2010
    I will be on in about an hour if people wanna play some test games. Going to go get the sc2 out of my system.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
    edited May 2010
    Well SC2 out of the system, I am on vassale in a room called penny arcade if you want to play some games, I wanna test my slaanesh list. Nothing serious.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
    edited May 2010
    I'm watching Altmann's game right now.

Or at least I'm trying too. how do I see the damn board?

Asher on
    edited May 2010
    Did you click the 'board' button?

Gabriel_Pitt on
    edited May 2010
    Right click on somebody else and click Synchronize. Then you can click the Board button.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
    edited May 2010
    Yeah it was the synchronize thing that tripped me up. Fortunately reading the manual actually helped for once.

Asher on
  • TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Dang. Sign-ups only lasted one day?

TheBog on
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    ZERG RUSH KEKEKEKEKE
    Tyrant, Wings, Old Adversary, Paroxysm, Psychic Scream - 255
    Tyranid Prime, Deathspitter - 85

2 Hive Guard - 100
    2 Hive Guard - 100

12 Hormagaunts, Toxin Sacs - 136
    10 Termagants - 50

May combine the Horm broods into two of 18 rather than three of 12, haven't entirely decided yet. I pretty much never play at this point level so it's kind of a struggle to get everything in that I feel I need.

Salvation122 on
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Spherick wrote: »
    Pollo: I can play tomorrow if thats good with you. I haven't played using vassal yet and I was going to read the manual tonight.

Sounds good to me. I've used vassal before, but not for 40k, so I don't know how much of a learning curve I'm looking at. I'll make a list and get it up before we play in case you want to change anything before we have our first game.

PolloDiablo on