As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Foundation WANTS YOU (to register for D-Class duty)

BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning.only bugs remainRegistered User regular
edited July 2010 in Social Entropy++
Imagine, for a moment, that somewhere in the world, a secret group of elite researchers is studying weird and creepy artifacts that could destroy the world.

Well, imagine no more, because it's real. Kind of.

The SCP-Foundation is a wiki that lists hundreds of "SCPs" or "Special Containment Procedures".

What are those?
Commonly known as 'SCPs,' these articles are overview reports of individual 'Items' in containment by SCP personnel and facilities. They quickly summarize threats and describe Items with only necessary details (as time might be short on hand in the event of a containment breach or other event).

Items can be an object, place, person, animal or even an occurance. They are given an Item# as SCP-XXX and categorized. SCPs are grouped as being 'Safe,' 'Euclid,' or 'Keter' which are classifications that explain expected threat levels.
Anyone may draw up an SCP protocol on any Item and add it to 'The List,' but every author is subject to review by his or her peers, and must adhere to the high standards and clinical approach mandated by his fellows

They range from creepy things, like a room made out of human flesh, to hilarious things, like the world's gayest man

At any rate, it's a great way to waste some time or scare yourself silly.

Press random article and get going!

Be warned though, some of this is NSFW

BugBoy on

• Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The best thing is the shades that makes things explode behind you when you put them on.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Wait, isn't this entire website a joke by 4Chan?

Brolo on
  • nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Rolo wrote: »
    Wait, isn't this entire website a joke by 4Chan?

yeah seems like it

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    it was started on 4chan, but I think it exists independently now

BugBoy on
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    hey I remember the last time there was a thread about this place

good way to kill a couple hours at work

Abracadaniel on
    edited May 2010
    Koshian wrote: »
    I do not understand the appeal of tvtropes in the slightest

at least these have fun little stories attached sometimes

TVtropes has dangerously high levels of animu content.

Brolo on
  • undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    this website

has ruined my productivity a few times before

not again! i won't let you do this to me bugboy

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • SilvenSilven Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I can't go back to that site

I get there and I start reading and oh god how did six hours pass

Silven on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    This is seriously my favorite website. My personal favorites:

http://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/scp-701 - A play that contains a memetic virus that incites violence
    http://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/scp-668 - The knife that killed Kitty Genovese
    http://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/scp-294 - A vending machine that will dispense any liquid (I think this one was written by someone on these forums, actually)
    http://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/scp-342 - Cursed bus ticket
    http://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/scp-682 - Unkillable Lizard
    http://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/scp-231 - An example of how something is scarier when you make up its details for yourself

Also, anyone who gets deep enough into the site to be familiar with a lot of the popular SCPs, or is willing to read side articles every time one is mentioned, needs to read this awesome story:

http://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/duke-till-dawn

Anyway, yes, I know I'm a bit obsessed with this site. I'm actually planning a phalla set in this universe, just working on getting it balanced.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I couldn't get into it either

and I spent 5 hours of my life trawling through the 40K wiki

edit: now that is a coinkydink, kosh

Tam on
  • BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    this website

has ruined my productivity a few times before

not again! i won't let you do this to me bugboy

go to the site

you know you want to

BugBoy on
  • redheadredhead Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    i don't think i "get" this site

redhead on
    edited May 2010
    redhead wrote: »
    i don't think i "get" this site

as far as I understand

people just make up articles on subjects and try to make them look like they're conspiracies by blacking out information selectively

and that's pretty much it I guess

Brolo on
  • GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Silven wrote: »
    I can't go back to that site

I get there and I start reading and oh god how did six hours pass

The website itself should be classified SCP-00X with its ability to fucking absorb time and general productivity.

Gatsby on
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I dig this site

I forgot about it for a while until it came up in that other thread

It's really weird and doesn't always do it for me but there are some pretty cool elements of the fictional universe that they've built

It's also similar in concept (though not in style or execution) to some short horror fiction I dabbled in writing a while back

Grey Ghost on
  • Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    SE++ should be a SCP.

Butler For Life #1 on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I forgot about this, somehow, and I'd read up to like 400 of them. I'll try and remember this exists next time I'm bored at work.

Scooter on
    edited May 2010
    There are a couple other websites floating around that use the "government warehouse" concept, like the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark where there's all these crazy things just stashed away in one place and forgotten about

Those are almost always references to other fictional works or some historical mysteries, unlike SCP which is mostly original fiction

Which reminds me that I never watched past like the second episode of Warehouse 13 even though I thought it was pretty cool

Grey Ghost on
    edited May 2010
    I think my personal favorite is the proposed entry for SCP-001 which implies that the very first entity catalogued was the angel that stands at the gates of Eden and that it told the founder of the SCP foundation to begin the whole project in preparation for some future catastrophe

Grey Ghost on
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Antimatter on
    edited May 2010
    Hahahahaha

And then you have entries like that one

Grey Ghost on
  • FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    This is definitely a fun site to waste time on, but some of the entries seem like they were written by someone who actually wants to be writing bleach fanfiction, like this guy

FrylockHolmes on
  • Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    You can get some real mood whiplash going through SCP. From "holy hell" to "lol".

Butler For Life #1 on
  • tehmarkentehmarken BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I love this site, I've been browsing through it on and off for over a year. There's some pretty well written short stories in there too.

tehmarken on
    edited May 2010
    This is definitely a fun site to waste time on, but some of the entries seem like they were written by someone who actually wants to be writing bleach fanfiction, like this guy

That's Abel, right

I think they very nearly deleted that entry until some other people contributed some better-written pieces about him popping up in other areas

The best part is when they take ones that are obviously author self-entries and have the personnel terminate them in various overkill ways

Grey Ghost on
  • HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

That's Abel, right

I think they very nearly deleted that entry until some other people contributed some better-written pieces about him popping up in other areas

The best part is when they take ones that are obviously author self-entries and have the personnel terminate them in various overkill ways

The beginning of that is almost gag-inducing Mary Sue-ism.

Hamurabi on
  • DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Koshian wrote: »
    anyways, everyone knows http://www.lexicanum.com/ is the king of wikipedia style time wasters

what have you done to me

Depressperado on
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    About time someone posted about SCP.
    The best one is the green gel that is fantastic with everything unless it comes into contact with a dead body.
    Though for the most part the fact that about 70-80% of these are fantastic reads is a bit of an SCP itself .

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    the entries obviously based on existing mythology are cool and all but the best entries are the absolute 'why would you even think of this' fuckery, like the temporal distortion cargo ship or the monster that can only move when unwatched

mensch-o-matic on
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    the monster that can only move when unwatched

the
    the weeping angels?

Antimatter on
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So this site is like a big scarier version of the show Warehouse 13?

Also they have one of these for "creepy pasta" stuff thats pretty good

Bucketman on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

You think that one's bad, meet his immortal telepathic 17 year old gay lover: http://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/scp-182

His name is "Saint".

Centipede Damascus on
  • WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The best one is the green gel that is fantastic with everything unless it comes into contact with a dead body.

They don't even describe what happens, they're just all "DO NOT PUT NEAR A DEAD BODY, DAMNIT"

Wearingglasses on
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

I dunno, even though that seems ridiculious, I kind of want to know what would happen if "caine" and "abel" meet.

Bucketman on
  • DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    http://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/scp-231 - An example of how something is scarier when you make up its details for yourself.

Oh holy shit

Didgeridoo on
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I like the very rough / rough / 1-1 / fine / very fine machine.

also the weird concrete monster that started it all.

#pipe on
  • mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    http://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/scp-231 - An example of how something is scarier when you make up its details for yourself.

Oh holy shit
    Six Class D Personnel with backgrounds as convicted sex offenders are to be assigned to SCP-231-7 each month for the purposes of carrying out Procedure 110-Montauk.

i dont even

mensch-o-matic on
  • TheExAmTheExAm Gerrymandered your districts Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

That's Abel, right

I think my favorite of the self-insertion terminations is that of SCP-809-D

Post-Incident Interview, ██-██-████

Interviewer: … I am, however, a bit curious about the final portion of your kill procedure.

Clef: Well… I figured that the best way to be sure to take down 809 was to utilize a large scale kill procedure. A gun might not hit a vital point. An explosive might just scatter parts all over the place. But a ten ton steel weight…

Interviewer: That would probably do the trick, yeah.

Clef: We had that sumbitch… the kill item… mounted on wheels next door. When the electromagnet was turned on, we just pulled the handbrake, gave it a push to start it off, and let the magnet pull the kill item into the next room at high velocity. Squish.

Interviewer: Yes, I understand all that perfectly. I'm just curious: was it REALLY necessary to cast the kill item in the shape of a giant steel fist?

Clef: Not really, no.

TheExAm on
    6Jx6HOg.png
    Battlemans: DiscoCabbage | Elite: Dangerous: Aleksandr Khabaj
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Bucketman wrote: »

I dunno, even though that seems ridiculious, I kind of want to know what would happen if "caine" and "abel" meet.
    When information concerning SCP-076 was brought to the attention of SCP-073 for "backing up", subject showed familiarity with the information, although was disinclined to adding to it, despite the fact that it stated that it already knew all about SCP-076. It then stated it would be better for all parties involved that it not meet SCP-076.

#pipe on
  • WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I like the room that mysteriously eats people then suddenly gains some sort of classy furnishing made of human leather and bones.

Wearingglasses on