As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Rare turns 25, celebrates by switching logos

• BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Urian wrote: »
    Please for the love of god will Rare make Jet Force Gemini 2 now.

BlueDestiny on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Please for the love of god will Rare make a New Banjo platformer now.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    4J Studios is the dev house responsible for porting Rare's games to XBLA. You can still go ahead and maintain that Rare hasn't done anything good in a while in light of this information.

Mustachio Jones on
    edited June 2010
    God dammit, Nuts and Bolts was good! Viva Pinata was good!

Undead Scottsman on
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

I would love it so very much, and forgive Rare for their other crappy stuff lately.

You never know, Nintendo got Treasure to make Sin & Punishment 2, which was another game I never thought would happen.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Nuts & Bolts is the only decent game they've made since..I dunno, what was before Starfox Adventures? Conker? And even then, it's still a trademark Rare collectathon and suffers from a real lack of imagination beyond a certain point.

Viva Pinata makes me sad because it could be so much more than looking at the encyclopedia, buying the flowers/pinatas you need to get a new type to appear and then breeding it a few times. Rinse, repeat x60 (x2 for the sequel, since it's basically an identical game).

tldr: crappy logo for a crappy developer

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    HUFF PUFF

I heard someone criticizing N&B, I came as fast as I could.

Anyway, N&B was the reason I got a 360, and I loved the hell out of it. Not sure how I feel about the logo yet.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, Nuts & Bolts is one of the most underrated games this generation.

Turkey on
  • UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    Sometimes I feel like the last KI fan left. The game was the shit in the 90's when I was schooling people at the arcades at the age of like 8 or 9 and it's still the shit now. Fulgore for life.

Urian on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Turkey wrote: »
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Rare hasn't done a decent game in years (of course opinions vary). They did some awesome stuff under the watchful eye of Nintendo with the quality to boot, but since with MS, the only thing that held up to that standard was the Viva Pinata games.

The rest of their stuff was terrible or just re-releases of previous stuff.

Now they've been shuffled into a corner by MS and turned forcefully into a Natal and avatar division. A terrible fate for a previously fantastic developer.

What does the bottom of a Avatar's shoe look like indeed.

Nuts & Bolts was pretty sweet. You should check it out if you haven't yet (ignore the godawful demo).

I keep trying to tell him, but he keeps resisting. :P

I want to play a Banjo game, not Legoland guest starring Banjo. *whistles innocently*

:P

I hear you, but the game's still good.

Also you say that as if Legos aren't inherently awesome.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The logo's type is really nice. The 'r' floating off in the N64 controller stick is kind of odd though. It feels so separate from the type.

Wassermelone on
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    jothki wrote: »
    Sipex wrote: »
    All the hate for nuts'n'bolts in this thread makes me sad.

The demo should've included the ability to totally break any mission with the garage...how the game intended.

Bolts one flaw to me was that it should have been more exploration and boss focuses with challenges limited to a few races and transport segments.

Those levels were huge but almost completely empty. Part of it was so they could make you go from A to B and have the time limit seem imposing . It got boring and there was little reason to explore them at all

Shadow of the Colossus was an okay game, but it would have been much better if you could get to every Colossi by walking down a narrow corridor for 20 seconds.

Pretty much yeah.

About DKC 3 it's inferior in every respect to it's prequels. The levels were ugly and most were poorly designed, the overworld fetch quests were a harbinger of things to come, the animals were boring and the art style was hideous. It controlled well enough but it didn't help that you once again couldn't use Donkey Kong in his own game.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yup I agree Wass.

But anyways, at some point companies just need a re-brand and no one could use one more than Rare. I haven't cared about Rare since PD, and I'm not talking remake.

I would love to see KI3, but also sad to know I'd need a MS console to play it. In my mind the only other fighting game that had the in game persona's to rival Street Fighter was KI. (not counting Darkstalkers)

earthwormadam on
  • GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Sometimes I feel like the last KI fan left. The game was the shit in the 90's when I was schooling people at the arcades at the age of like 8 or 9 and it's still the shit now. Fulgore for life.
    You're not the only one! I was pretty big into KI when it was still around; KI Gold on the 64 wasn't a half-bad port, but the way they made the backgrounds 3D instead of keeping them fully rendered, just because they felt they needed to show the N64 could do polygons, wasn't exactly the smartest thing they've done. I played the everloving hell out of the SNES version of the original though, and when I found a KI arcade cabinet in the Student Union arcade at Chapel Hill I started frequenting that as well. Of course by that time I'd forgotten how to play as any character besides Jago, but it was still fun.

Grimthwacker on
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I wish I could find a KI cabinet. I've spent so many quarters I might as well buy one.

earthwormadam on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

How the fuck did I forget this

Jet Force Gemini was amazing

I also forgot Conker's BFD, which was less-than-amazing

Why do people hate on Star Fox Adventures, exactly? Never got that. It was goddamn Star Fox: Ocarina of Time. Was there a period of time when making a new Zelda-like game was not acceptable? Because people definitely seem to smile on Darksiders and 3D Dot Game Heroes now.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited June 2010

How the fuck did I forget this

Jet Force Gemini was amazing

I also forgot Conker's BFD, which was less-than-amazing

Why do people hate on Star Fox Adventures, exactly? Never got that. It was goddamn Star Fox: Ocarina of Time. Was there a period of time when making a new Zelda-like game was not acceptable? Because people definitely seem to smile on Darksiders and 3D Dot Game Heroes now.

215185867_9NNwj-L-2.jpg

Undead Scottsman on
    edited June 2010
    Yes but that was every Rare game

And yet people don't single out Banjo-Kazooie, Tooie, DK64, all their goddamn games

UnbreakableVow on
    edited June 2010

And yet people don't single out Banjo-Kazooie, Tooie, DK64, all their goddamn games

Well, I was being a smartass and taking an opportunity to post a PA comic, but people DO single out DK64 actually. Typically because it was the worst offender in the category, going far above and beyond every other game Rare made.

Undead Scottsman on
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Please for the love of god will Rare make a New Battletoads in the ultra violent style of the original arcade game now.

Delzhand on
  • Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I really tried to like DK64. So much so that I got up to K.Rool, got up to the last part of the fight with Chunky Kong, put down the controller, and walked away from it forever.

Mustachio Jones on
    edited June 2010
    Anyways

Back to more praise for Rare

DKC2 is my favorite platformer ever

No, I don't mean just on the SNES

Yes, I am taking 2D Marios into account

I love it so damn much. And the music is amazing.

UnbreakableVow on
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Rare is good at taking anything Nintendo does, ripping it off and making it worse, sticking a bunch of unnecessary doodads of at least five different types to collect in each level, and forcing you to collect them with stupid annoying gimmick characters/vehicles

Then calling all of that "innovation" and pretending they're not the most unoriginal hacks ever with completely overrated games, challenging Lionhead studios (also a Microsoft holding, incidentally) for the title

I've heard Viva Pinata is pretty good though, and since they ripped off Pokemon which I love maybe I'll pick that up

Also seriously DKC2 is objectively worse than SMB3/SMG/SMW/Yoshi's Island

This is a fact

Rent on
    edited June 2010
    Yoshi's Island? Gross. I wasn't even taking that atrocity into consideration.

UnbreakableVow on
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

BK 1 had about 5 items and only 2 were nessecary to beat the game health and power ups shouldn't count
    All told it was a nice game that built on Mario 64's base.

Tooie had a ton of pointless collectionfests. per level to boot. It had other problems that most people will still argue about given the chance.

DK64 was bar none the bloatiest collectathon ever though. Nobody will ever deny that. It took every wrong with the coin system from DKC and apmplified it to13.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    edited June 2010
    I'll also argue that Rare did their 3D platformers on the N64 a lot better than Nintendo did with Mario 64

But that's just because I can't stand the way 3D Marios control :P

UnbreakableVow on
    edited June 2010

Okay seriously, your opinion is terrible

Period

My brain nearly had an aneurysm from the wrong I have just read

Rent on
    edited June 2010
    I think I just have a deep-seated hatred for Yoshi

I never used him in SMW, so the fact that there are games that revolve around him is terrifying

Whenever people pick him in Super Smash I want to just punch them in the face

UnbreakableVow on
  • MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Rent wrote: »

Okay seriously, your opinion is terrible

Period

My brain nearly had an aneurysm from the wrong I have just read

yeah, unless he meant Yoshi's Story, which, admittedly, I have not played, then zomg

Yoshi's Island is my favorite platformer ever

MrDelish on
    edited June 2010
    I have not played Yoshi's Story either

UnbreakableVow on
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    There was absolutely no reason for the new logo. That golden R was already entrenched in gamedome.

Krathoon on
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Krathoon wrote: »
    There was absolutely no reason for the new logo. That golden R was already entrenched in gamedome.

Ultimate_Play_the_Game_logo.jpg

Back in my day this was the only Logo that mattered.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I've heard Viva Pinata is pretty good though, and since they ripped off Pokemon which I love maybe I'll pick that up.
    jothki wrote: »
    Shadow of the Colossus was an okay game, but it would have been much better if you could get to every Colossi by walking down a narrow corridor for 20 seconds.

What is with this thread and people being so very, very wrong?

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2010
    Man, DKC2 was good. Rare is like the console Blizzard. Don't count on them to innovate a goddamn thing, but they'll refine the existing stuff into gold.

DKC2 was definitely better than Super Mario World, but Yoshi's Island is perhaps the finest 2D platformer known to man, so that's hard competition right there. I...I really hope you didn't compete DKC2 to Mario Galaxy, as that is downright goosey.

Oh, and Conker's multiplayer was surprisingly fun and simple. It was awesome to see it removed for something complex and anti-fun.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Call me when they celebrate by announcing a sequel to Nuts & Bolts. It doesn't even need to be a Banjo game, I just want to make new and exciting forms of penismobiles.

yalborap on
    edited June 2010
    Rare is good at taking anything Nintendo does, ripping it off and making it worse, sticking a bunch of unnecessary doodads of at least five different types to collect in each level, and forcing you to collect them with stupid annoying gimmick characters/vehicles

Then calling all of that "innovation" and pretending they're not the most unoriginal hacks ever with completely overrated games, challenging Lionhead studios (also a Microsoft holding, incidentally) for the title

Man, whatever. Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie are both fun and worthwhile games. DK64 was incredibly bogged down, though, so I'll agree with you there.
    I've heard Viva Pinata is pretty good though, and since they ripped off Pokemon which I love maybe I'll pick that up
    Other than trying to collect all the pinatas, the game has absolutely nothing in common with pokemon. It has more in common with Simcity than it does with pokemon.

Undead Scottsman on
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Couldn't agree with you more, Undead Scottsman.

BK was the first console game I ever got, and Tooie is one of my all-time favourites.

PaperLuigi44 on
    edited June 2010

Man, whatever. Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie are both fun and worthwhile games. DK64 was incredibly bogged down, though, so I'll agree with you there.

Eh. I can see the appeal in BK I just don't like it because it feels so utterly a slightly inferior clone of Mario 64 to me. Tooie is awful and my first thought of whenever I think of "bad Rare games", because of the reasons I just posted. Let's not even mention DK64
    Other than trying to collect all the pinatas, the game has absolutely nothing in common with pokemon. It has more in common with Simcity than it does with pokemon.

Well since I hate the SimCity series, never mind on that front then

Rent on
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Rare <3

Here's to another 25 years, I still love their games, all the 360 ones included.

Especially the 360 ones - Kameo, Viva Pinata, BK : N&B were all great. PD0 and the Arcade release have their problems but are still fantastic in multiplayer. And the BK Arcade releases along with Jetpac were both welcome and great. Plus, I like Avatars.

Looking forward to seeing what they are working on next.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Put another notch on the "Nuts and Bolts was awesome" belt. That demo really did not represent the game, and if you're interested in it, I'd suggest just heading to a Blockbuster or something to rent it to really be sure. And I really wasn't expecting to like it that much, because I have next to zero creativity, so I couldn't go hog wild with the machines. 90% of my stuff was just shoving parts onto prefab blueprints, and I still had a blast.

I never understood the love for Viva Pinata though. That game for me was pure dreck. It was like the game was made for people with advanced ADD or something. Every time I tried to do a task, the game kept yanking me away to say "Hey! Look at THIS!". Eventually I got cheezed off enough and quit.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."