As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

NVIDIA 7900 GS Hates Games. Or Help my computer play games.

BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Games and Technology
I got a new computer kinda recently (Intel Pentium D CPU 3.20GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA 7900 GS) with the hopes of being able to play some of these new fangeled games I had been missing out on since my old PC decided it'd take about 5 hours to load between areas of HL2.

Out of all the new games I've tried to get running (its only been 3 games) both that have intros saying "NVIDIA - The way its meant to be played" crash, and crash hard. Weird graphical errors, random freezing, some blue screen action, its a random grab bag of junk whenever I try to play them. I've tried updating drivers, but appearently since its a Dell I can only use the ones from the Dell website? (thats what it said when I tried randomly finding ones with google atleast) Yesterday I deleted the driver and restarted so windows redownloaded the official drivers for the card, still not working.

The games that didn't run were F.E.A.R and S.T.A.L.K.E.R does my video card just not like ".'s"? Is it even my graphic card thats not working? This was my first assumption cause FEAR says it works with graphic cards that are worse, but not equal to mine. Any advice/ideas to get me up and running?

Edit: Both games were patched to the max. Havn't tried FEAR in a while, there mihgt be newer stuff I havn't tried yet. Also I get lots of sound errors, lots of static in the background and the beginning video of S.T.A.L.K.E.R has the sound off by a few seconds. The game that did work was Oblivion.

Burtletoy on

• CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    It's an *nVida* card. This way > www.nvidia.com

Always go to the manufacturer. Microsoft's Windows Update drivers are often missing the OpenGL ICD entirely and are ALWAYS inadequate by their nature.

CZroe on
    edited April 2007
    Oh, and your other problem is likely Vista. I mean, you didn't say if it was XP or Vista, but if it's new and game compatability seems to be a problem, I can kinda assume that it was related to your original problems.

CZroe on
  • FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Is the card overheating? Is the power supply adequate for a 7900GS? The card might be bad as well. Have you tried using a different video card?

FreddyD on
  • ravenhexravenhex Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I know some people that have had problems with this card. Seems that the 7900's love to over heat do to cheap capacitors. He uninstalled Vista and that helped a lot but the card did over heat even with XP installed. Newegg was cool and he RMA it and they upgraded him to the 7950 for free. Newegg said the 7900 has become a problem child so they dont even bother sending replacments of the same model. Good luck.

ravenhex on
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Yea, XP here, Im cheap. till I need dx10 Im running XP. Installed the latest driver from the NVIDIA website, but for some reason it made me do it in Japanese? Kinda confused there, made the game not crash tho..now it just runs with tons of graphic errors all over the screen. Also the NVIDIA control panel is also in Japanese.

Didn't build the PC myself, nor do I really know much about the hardware side of computers, how do I check the power supply. Also if its overheating, would changing my fan fix this or is there more too it?

Burtletoy on
    edited April 2007
    I thought you said it was a Dell? Unless it's a lemon, PSU and cooling are not the issue. Corruption very well may indicate a serious GPU problem though.

Oh, and you must have clicked "International" when nabbing the drivers. Here's the primary download for the English drivers:
    http://www.nvidia.com/content/license/location_0605.asp?url=http://download.nvidia.com/Windows/93.71/93.71_forceware_winxp2k_english_whql.exe

CZroe on
    edited April 2007
    Yea, its a Dell XPS 400, and no even with that link its still in Japanese, which I think I will blame on either AppLocale being the only way I can run programs the require East Asain Language Support, or the fact that I need to run AppLocal to run programs that need East Asian Language support even tho I've hard it installed for almost as long as I've had the computer.

Edit: After uninstalling East Asain Language Support and restarting my computer, it still shows the NVIDIA control panel entirely in Japanese (or some other Asain Language), I'm about to be pissed off and just transfer all the files I wanna keep to my old PC and reformat this one.

Burtletoy on
  • ihdihd Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Yea, its a Dell XPS 400, and no even with that link its still in Japanese, which I think I will blame on either AppLocale being the only way I can run programs the require East Asain Language Support, or the fact that I need to run AppLocal to run programs that need East Asian Language support even tho I've hard it installed for almost as long as I've had the computer.

Edit: After uninstalling East Asain Language Support and restarting my computer, it still shows the NVIDIA control panel entirely in Japanese (or some other Asain Language), I'm about to be pissed off and just transfer all the files I wanna keep to my old PC and reformat this one.
    set the language for non-unicode apps to english

ihd on
    edited April 2007
    Appearently, atleast in S.T.A.L.K.E.R., its a problem with Object Dynamic Lighting, Full Dynamic Lighting works fine.

Burtletoy on
  • DulathDulath Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Why the hell didn't you get a C2D? Jesus.

Anyways, I have a 7900GT. The 7900GS is simply a refresh and is not inferior. I played STALKER at 1680x1050 with most eye candy on and it was more than playable.

"Dude, you got a Dell?"

Dulath on
    sig.PNG
    Disclaimer: Actual Google banner ad captured at www.serebii.net
    edited April 2007
    It wasn't out when I got my computer.

Burtletoy on
  • RaerlynnRaerlynn Registered User new member
    edited April 2007
    I have the same problem on my desktop. It has Vista Business edition, 1.5GB RAM, and an AthlonXP 2400 (2.00Ghz single core, socket 939) for a processor. And it frameskips EVERYTHING. FPS in WoW with details turned low still sputters at about the mid-30 range. CS:Source will constantly plunge into the single digits.

On my laptop though, which has a GeForce Go 7600 (256MB), 2GB RAM, and an AMD Turion 64 X2 (2.00Ghz), and EVERYTHING runs smooth. WoW on highest settings? No sweat. CS:Source? Sure! Civ 4? Golden. Vanguard? Balanced setting never drops below 45fps, even in high lag areas. Caesar 4 does choke a bit with HDR/Bloom however.

Raerlynn on
    raerlynn.png