As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MOBA DOBA] League of Yordles! Come play, it's FREE!

• Options
    CognisseurCognisseur Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    tyrannus wrote: »
    Cognisseur wrote: »
    Ooh, new free champs. I'm going to try Tristana. She better kick ass.

she's the god damn best, maggot

Holy shit. She does kick ass. I stacked attack for a while and then a bit of attack speed, not sure if that was right. Long story short, as soon as I got BF Sword, I became a thing of madness. Since I'm still not a very confident player I tried to stick to empty lanes to help push, since I have that burst ability.

We won the game, and I have the most minion kills (201 to 152) and the most destructions (8 of the 14 on our team). I also went 3-1.

I'm loving Tristana. The escape move is great, and being able to use it as a damaging/snare simultaneously rocks. I also figured out I can rocket jump behind my enemy and throw him into my tower using my ultimate.

Cognisseur on
  • Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    free champs (week 29)
    Cho'gath Tank
    Janna Mage
    Morgana Support
    Nasus Melee DPS
    Rammus Tank
    Sivir Ranged DPS
    Taric Support
    Tristana Ranged DPS
    Udyr Melee DPS
    Kennen Mage

Feldorn on
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Janna week hooray

Also gonna play that Udyr

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    tyrannus wrote: »
    Ooh, new free champs. I'm going to try Tristana. She better kick ass.

she's the god damn best, maggot

Holy shit. She does kick ass. I stacked attack for a while and then a bit of attack speed, not sure if that was right. Long story short, as soon as I got BF Sword, I became a thing of madness. Since I'm still not a very confident player I tried to stick to empty lanes to help push, since I have that burst ability.

We won the game, and I have the most minion kills (201 to 152) and the most destructions (8 of the 14 on our team). I also went 3-1.

I'm loving Tristana. The escape move is great, and being able to use it as a damaging/snare simultaneously rocks. I also figured out I can rocket jump behind my enemy and throw him into my tower using my ultimate.
    whenever I kill a champ with buster shot, I like to say I maggoted them

tyrannus on
  • Options
    Evil WeevilEvil Weevil Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Going to try out Kennen, yeah!

Evil Weevil on
  • Options
    Erin6641Erin6641 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    People need to stop Ashe bashing. First of all, she is a little underpowered as far as top tier goes. Her damage output leaves a lot to be desired! If she didn't have slow / god arrow, she'd be useless. (And with all the move tech on most top tier hero's, the slow rarely nets you a kill anymore like it did in beta).

Secondly, After 150/160 games I have played (normal games), I still don't find her boring at all. I find her incredibly challenging to master. She is so squishy.

Out of the 5 heros I have actively played (Ashe Gangplank Morgana Shaco Sivir), I find her a ton more fun than the others and I don't think I will be changing my mind in the next 150 games with her. Learning a champion down to the core is what gets my blood boiling. (Nisi gets me wet).

I think my next project to learn will be Shaco. And collecting 15kIP for runes / champs.

Erin6641 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MattakuevanMattakuevan Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    D: Nononono she isn't. Her damage is completely top tier as a carry.

Also, squishy? She's one of the harder champions to kill because she has 3 escape mechanisms + whatever spells you give her.

Edit: Not speaking out of playing against. She's my most played =P

Mattakuevan on
  • Options
    NisiNisi Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I like laning against Ashe, I find her pretty easy to kill. Right Pip? :)

While she does have one of the stronger laning presences in the game, I think some people overestimate her laning strength. I can easily destroy her mid every time as Annie. Due to her squishiness I find I rarely see a successful carry Ashe at whatever tier I'm at currently, I mostly see her supporting ganks. The Ashe's I have seen carry are supported heavily by other champions, preventing us from reaching the Ashe as she stands on the back line. Fact of the matter is, if you catch Ashe, she dies quick.

Nisi on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    ...never mid as Ashe...

She's far more effective messing up a side-lane.

Mattakuevan on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Also, squishy? She's one of the harder champions to kill because she has 3 escape mechanisms + whatever spells you give her.

Her "escape mechanisms" are kinda shitty. 38%(At level 5 slow), isnt really going to help aginst any form of solid disable / 2 person gank. Ghost / Cleanse / Flash are equal accross all champions so that cant be given as a benefit to alot of people. She will be focused in team fights every chance possible, even if she sits in the back.

She has no natural defencive benefits (low hp, not good synergy with hp/armor items).

As for damage, she cant compare to Kat, Akali, Trist, Ezreal, TF, Jax, Sion, etc etc etc. They all have massive abilities which add to their straight damage. Volley isnt really spike, and Arrow of death is more for support.

I totally disagree. (in summation).

Erin6641 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Alright guys, let's move our conversation onto discussing my new favorite champion: Tristana!

She seems like a pocket-sized goddess to me right now. Ridiculous range means I can harass people with ease, and once I get my BF sword I'm able to mow down minions instantly. Not to mention I'm really good at taking down towers quickly as well as jumping onto and raping champs?

What's not to love? THAT IS NOT A RHETORICAL QUESTION. Seriously, I don't see people playing her very often, so I must be missing some important stuff in my newbieness. What are her weaknesses? What should I watch out for?

And most importantly: how should I gear her / what should I buy? I've been stacking attack cuz I don't know any better, but I'm very up for recommendations.

Cognisseur on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Alright guys, let's move our conversation onto discussing my new favorite champion: Tristana!

She seems like a pocket-sized goddess to me right now. Ridiculous range means I can harass people with ease, and once I get my BF sword I'm able to mow down minions instantly. Not to mention I'm really good at taking down towers quickly as well as jumping onto and raping champs?

What's not to love? THAT IS NOT A RHETORICAL QUESTION. Seriously, I don't see people playing her very often, so I must be missing some important stuff in my newbieness. What are her weaknesses? What should I watch out for?

And most importantly: how should I gear her / what should I buy? I've been stacking attack cuz I don't know any better, but I'm very up for recommendations.

Tristana is a yordle and must die.

Evil Weevil on
  • Options
    jdmichaljdmichal Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Nisi wrote: »
    One thing that is important with most melee champions, especially against aggressive/ranged opponents, stay back from the minions as much as you can, moving forward or using skills to finish low health minions, moving into range only when necessary.

Also of note: Get at least 2 health potions when the game starts. You will be needing them, especially if they have an aggressive ranged champion.

The power of potions always seems to be relatively understated in these types of games. They really are useful for a long while, especially when they are relatively cheap (35g, meaning you can get 10 for the price of a very basic item. That's 2000 HP healed.)

I too am going to be trying out Udyr this set. I had a lot of fun with Malphite, and Udyr looks like he could be even more fun. I'll probably buy whichever of the two I like better.

jdmichal on
    XBox Live: KillerCodeMonky | Steam: KillerCodeMonky
    SC2: KillerCodeMk | LoL: KillerCodeMonky | FFXIV: Shea Demvas (Sargantas)
    Ghost in the Linkshell Item Requisitioning
    Let me know you are from PA, otherwise I will likely ignore you.
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The problem with Tristana is that you will become useless if you can't dominate the early/mid game. But then I may a little biased because I don't really like y

Peas on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Omg new Kayle is kind of awesome.

Mattakuevan on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Peas wrote: »
    The problem with Tristana is that you will become useless if you can't dominate the early/mid game. But then I may a little biased because I don't really like y

Actually, yeah, can someone help me out with this? I need to figure out better item selection at the start I think. Once I get BF Sword and then onto Infinite Edge I feel like a total badass, but until then I'm feeling pretty weak. I think part of it is that I'm still terrible at last-hitting so until I have something that takes like 1/3rd health per hit I can't time it at all so my explosive shot never works.

Can someone perhaps go into a bit more detail into exactly how one should go about last-hitting? Can I just auto-attack one dude and then right click another dude when he gets low? Or should I hide in bushes attacking no one until I see someone with 10% health? Or something with running back and forth thereby allowing autoattack? I don't really get it, and it doesn't help that Trist's max range changes throughout the game.

Cognisseur on
  • Options
    ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Erin6641 wrote: »

Her "escape mechanisms" are kinda shitty. 38%(At level 5 slow), isnt really going to help aginst any form of solid disable / 2 person gank. Ghost / Cleanse / Flash are equal accross all champions so that cant be given as a benefit to alot of people. She will be focused in team fights every chance possible, even if she sits in the back.

She has no natural defencive benefits (low hp, not good synergy with hp/armor items).

As for damage, she cant compare to Kat, Akali, Trist, Ezreal, TF, Jax, Sion, etc etc etc. They all have massive abilities which add to their straight damage. Volley isnt really spike, and Arrow of death is more for support.

A fed Ashe can tear it up like anyone else.

That said, I think she's better as a support-carry, then an actual carry.

Side note, I don't mind the change to Ezrael. Frankly, I was bored playing him as a healer. I'm going to try a hybrid build.

Shamus on
  • Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Unless you're actively pushing a lane, I find it better to just auto-attack minions for last hits, which frees up the rest of your time to harass your opponents with your abilities. Unless you're pretty good on mana and can use a short CD ability to get a 2-3 kills (I do this with rammus and powerball frequently).

Edit: This was in response to Cog's post.

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    CutfangCutfang Dancing Bagel WalessssssssRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Usually if I really want as much gold as I can get I simply don't attack at all and then pop off a shot/swing when a minion has 1/5th hp, although I have to compensate for my Britisher ping.

One thing you want to consider when deciding whether to autoattack or just last hit is whether you want to push a tower or not. If you want to try and deny as many last hits then pushing to the tower with minions might be better as it's quite hard to last hit when a tower is taking random pot shots, or so it seems. However you might want to keep them close to your tower due to an MIA or jungle udyr prowling, so letting the minions push to you could be a better option.

Also Tristana is very good and does wreck towers unsupervised. Maybe she's not played so often because really a lot of champions are very good in this game and some have more of a spotlight than others (jax / shen).

Looking forward to playing Kailee lots and crushing new Kennen players who don't realise he's squishy as hell and needs to get in melee range to use his abilities :S

Cutfang on
    Dancing Bagel
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

An awesome shot with her ulti can make or break ganks. Also once I was playing as Heimer and chilling out in my turret base when suddenly out of nowhere the crazy girl hit me with her ulti. From that moment onwards I knew that I was fucked.

Peas on
  • Options
    nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    i don't know why trist isn't played much or i haven't seen her lately, she is pretty much the definition of a carry

team carries her into kills early, she carries them to a win late

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Peas wrote: »

An awesome shot with her ulti can make or break ganks. Also once I was playing as Heimer and chilling out in my turret base when suddenly out of nowhere the crazy girl hit me with her ulti. From that moment onwards I knew that I was fucked.

Yeah thats kind of my point. Support carry all the way, using the ulti for maximum effectiveness. I spec 40% cooldown on her and Use 45 second arrows constantly. Playing with Nisi, Errant, and Bfly, all I do is pretty much drop arrows and let Nisi and Errant mop up. I generally will have 3-4 times the assists I do kills. Our team pretty heavily relies on Nisi owning up mid and me dropping consistent arrows.

Erin6641 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    And Bfly being a shark.

Nisi on
  • Options
    LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

I'm not a Tristana expert, but "not to love" is slow move speed and a slow early/mid game. That isn't to say you shouldn't love her, she is one of the best scaling heros in the game and is a devastating carry once she builds some items. Also her voiceovers are nearly as funny as Veigar's.

I would recommend infinity edge and then a bloodthirster's/black cleaver, as usual with ranged physical carries.

Lykouragh on
  • Options
    4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Garen is so much fun as a melee dps who can take some shots and threaten death.

Item Build:
    Brutalizer -> Boots2 -> Youmuu's Ghostblade -> Ruby Crystal + Giant's Belt -> Phage -> Frozen Mallet -> if game continues get Aegis or Guardian Angel.

Skill Build:
    1. Judgement
    2. Decisive Strike
    3. Judgement
    4. Courage
    5. Judgement
    6. Demacian Justice > Judgement > Courage > Decisive Strike

Ghost/Cleanse lets you chase/run and keeps you healthy.

Runes:
    Armor Penetration, Dodge, -% Cooldowns, 2 flat HP quintessence, 1 run speed quintessence.

Masteries:
    8/21/1
    crit + -% cooldown / dodge, imp. cleanse, etc. / imp. ghost

Knowing when to use Demacian Justice is half of his game, really. The pure THREAT of Justice is enough to make enemies shake in fear when you pop Decisive and start towards them. It's great to pull off the psyche out when 2 or 3 champs are heading your way and they see that you didn't turn around and are attempting to get them.

Sometimes it's actually a good move to kamikaze into the fight and let them "waste" all their vital abilities on you so that your team can mop up. A well placed Judgement can put 2 or 3 enemy champs near to 50% and sometimes you can even take out their key champion in the suicide mission.

Most times you'll get kills from people who underestimate how much damage you can put out with nary but a brutalizer. Don't be afraid to stand your ground and judge these fools deservingly. This comes with practice.

I have lots more practicing to do to master the art of DJustice, and have only tried once unsuccessfully to employ Garen in Twisted Treeline so this is definitely a SR build and a work in progress.

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The difficult part of Tristana is her base damage is fucking terrible so it's hard to get her fed compared to some other heroes. She's probably the best ranged carry around once she's fed, but it's really easy to fuck up and have a shitty early game and never turn into a serious threat.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    She gets a huge amount of attack speed from her abilities, so just build pure attack damage to get the most benefit.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    my main focus as tristana in the early game is to get first blood to start feeding myself, i take exhaust ignite, and rocket jump is my level 1 skill. if there are no level 1 fights where you can rocket jump + exhaust ignite on a half health hero, i take all 3 abilities by level 3 so i can jump somebody with it then, and use WEQ + exhaust ignite to eat somebody. ignite + her E alone is just a mean mean pair of DoTs.

but i haven't played her in months and back when i played her i was probably in low ELO

so don't mind me

i'm just gonna be over here, putting myself down

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Note to Mord players: Do not repeatedly cast your ult on the one champ on the other team that has cleanse and you aren't absolutely sure that he hasn't already used it in that battle.

Last night, I was playing Rammus and the Mord on the other team did this at least 3 times to me. It was quite amusing.

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Every time I choose cleanse and see a Morde on the other team I always feel I made a good choice.

Nisi on
  • Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    considering i don't want to shell out for shen just yet

this week will go down in history as kennen experimentation week

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    lane hyper aggression 2010 2 must happen during kennen experimentation week

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Omg new Kayle is kind of awesome.

Tell me, how is the Kaylester?

Evil Weevil on
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Could somebody fix up the OP? Maybe add a link to the main website in there and a few screenshots, maybe even a video of gameplay.

Edit: Is this game as moddable as WC3 is or are we stuck with whatever they give us?

rayofash on
  • Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    this op is about the best you will get out of mooman

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I don't see what's wrong with the OP, except that it needs to be updated with the new tristana yordles.

Nisi on
  • Options
    bigwahbigwah Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I don't see what's wrong with the OP, except that it needs to be updated with the new tristana yordles.

Not enough slash in it.

bigwah on
    LoL Tribunal:
    "Was cursing, in broken english at his team, and at our team. made fun of dead family members and mentioned he had sex with a dog."
    "Hope he dies tbh but a ban would do."
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    bigwah wrote: »

Not enough slash in it.

It needs a Morgana/Kayle slash.

Evil Weevil on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    bigwah wrote: »

Not enough slash in it.

It needs a Morgana/Kayle slash.

Mouschi only works on commision now :(

Nisi on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    i felt i had to transcribe what these two guys complained about olaf

enemy olaf 1v2 double kill, first blood + second blood within 90 seconds
    bad 1: OMFG COME ON STOP LAGGING
    bad 2: stun up
    bad 2: WHAT THE FUCK
    Olaf has scored a Double Kill!
    me: how does that even happen
    bad 1: awesome lag
    bad 2: cuz he hits like a fag
    bad 2: and his health is gay
    bad 1: hes like the new jax
    bad 2: hes the new gay

they continued this trend every time they died to him. which was umm... very often

during the "second blood" after pantheon had given first blood to olaf, i watched the katarina, who had 1 bar and was running towards the tower, run back away from the tower range to the olaf who had 5 bars

and attempt to attack him

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png