As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MOBA DOBA] League of Yordles! Come play, it's FREE!

• Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Melkster wrote: »
    Peas wrote: »
    Evilsville wrote: »
    Eh, 5 bucks for the ONE champion I really want seems fine to me. Probably will unlock the next one I want (Shaco) with IP.

It's better to try out unknown champions during their free week so you can make a better judgement, sometimes you may find find that a certain champion just doesn't suit you at all no matter how OP people say he is.

I went and spent IP on Garen even though the consensus is that he's pretty good but not great and that other characters do the same role but better. I just really like him.

The consensus is wrong; any character in the right hands can be absolutely devastating.

You are right to play Garen, for he is amazing.

LOL, I said I liked him!

Also, have you ever tried maxing out the cooldown reduction on Garen? I feel like the right items that help dmg and make your silence available much more often sounds like it would be pretty awesome.

Is there a build that makes him a controller? Lots of hp, hp regen, armor and cooldown reduction. You'd be silencing often, popping your shield more, surviving longer in the center of fights, and since your ult is flat dmg it would still be viable.

Catastrophe_XXVI on
    PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
  • chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Evilsville wrote: »
    Eh, 5 bucks for the ONE champion I really want seems fine to me. Probably will unlock the next one I want (Shaco) with IP.

It's better to try out unknown champions during their free week so you can make a better judgement, sometimes you may find find that a certain champion just doesn't suit you at all no matter how OP people say he is.

I went and spent IP on Garen even though the consensus is that he's pretty good but not great and that other characters do the same role but better. I just really like him.

The consensus is wrong; any character in the right hands can be absolutely devastating.

You are right to play Garen, for he is amazing.

LOL, I said I liked him!

Also, have you ever tried maxing out the cooldown reduction on Garen? I feel like the right items that help dmg and make your silence available much more often sounds like it would be pretty awesome.

Is there a build that makes him a controller? Lots of hp, hp regen, armor and cooldown reduction. You'd be silencing often, popping your shield more, surviving longer in the center of fights, and since your ult is flat dmg it would still be viable.

Isn't that what he does when he goes tanky?

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • KiasKias Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So how is this game coming along? I played back in the beta and for one reason or another never caught up with the game after it released. Do we have PA'ers on here fairly regularly? These sorts of games can be amazing if you're playing with the right folks and I am thinking some sexy Heimerdinger action may be just what the doctor ordered.

Kias on
    steam_sig.png

• ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The price model has always irked me and I don't really think Riot knows what they're doing. Yes there are some players who will spend a bajillion dollars on a cool skin, but if you lower the price you get far more sales and more devoted customers(see Valve). If I could buy a skin for a dollar apiece I would buy a ton of them. Same for champions since I don't play that often to get a lot of IP. Instead I'll never give them another penny after the retail box because all the prices are a ripoff.

Zek on
  • MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Kias wrote: »
    So how is this game coming along? I played back in the beta and for one reason or another never caught up with the game after it released. Do we have PA'ers on here fairly regularly? These sorts of games can be amazing if you're playing with the right folks and I am thinking some sexy Heimerdinger action may be just what the doctor ordered.

The game is going well. I started playing about a month or two ago, and am now almost level 30. It's fun stuff.

There are tons of PA people online too, every night, with usually one or two normal games going plus an in-house (PA people vs. PA people).

The in-houses are usually pretty fun, with the occasional silly drama of course.

Melkster on
    edited June 2010
    Speaking of inhouses I think we should start agreeing in the lobby on whether everyone should play their good characters or everyone should play someone new. If one team decides to tryhard and the other decides to pick random guys the game is rarely balanced.

Zek on
  • MouschiMouschi Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Zek wrote: »
    Speaking of inhouses I think we should start agreeing in the lobby on whether everyone should play their good characters or everyone should play someone new. If one team decides to tryhard and the other decides to pick random guys the game is rarely balanced.

Thing is, players like me have one, maybe two good characters, while players like Nisi have played every character in the game more than I've played my best character.

In-houses are rarely balanced. Blind pick sucks, and eyeballing teams' relative skill levels is hard.

Mouschi on
    1848717-1.png
    Gamertag: Cunning Hekate // League of Legends: FeroxPA
    edited June 2010

It's actually pretty hard to balance in-houses. The other day we tried to do something like that, but one team interpreted "play someone new" completely differently than the other team. One team picked characters they had been practicing for a number of games, and the other picked characters they knew they were shitty at.

It's really a crap shoot much of the time. Last night I got pretty unlucky and lost all the in-houses I played in.

Melkster on
  • cwapfobrainscwapfobrains Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    4rch3nemy wrote: »
    I've once soloed the enemy team as a fed Malphite in very low elo games... but I digress..

Mordekaiser can solo entire teams without being fed, given the right items and circumstances. Thornmail + Gunblade + Trinity Force = epic lulz. They do more damage to themselves than they do to you, you outheal and shield most of the damage you DO take, and then you make their strongest carry your pet, whereupon you enter godmode and hunt down everyone with your triforce and gunblade active.

Granted, it's pretty rare that I'm not hit by every ultimate, nuke, CC and Summoner Spell in a teamfight, since I tend to make myself a pretty high priority target. You only pull off crazy shit like that with Morde when people don't save all their abilities for the express purpose of killing you off first. (But then, this makes you a good tank.)

I would love to see a Champion Spotlight that you made for Mordekaiser. I have him and wish I was better at him but I can't seem to stay in the lane well, especially with some ranged opponents.

cwapfobrains on
    camo_sig.png
    LoL Summoner: infobrains | XBL: cwap4brains | PSN: infobrains
  • NisiNisi Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It's actually pretty hard to balance in-houses. The other day we tried to do something like that, but one team interpreted "play someone new" completely differently than the other team. One team picked characters they had been practicing for a number of games, and the other picked characters they knew they were shitty at.

It's really a crap shoot much of the time. Last night I got pretty unlucky and lost all the in-houses I played in.

As I explained in regards to the other night, I said play someone that's not your main (meaning who you are best with) that you want to get better at. I literally cannot play someone new unless a champion has just been released. But yes, making rules for champion selection either doesn't work very well, or makes the game take an hour to start (ie when we did draft, which was fun, but took a long time to put together).

I've had a few of those nights where I lost every inhouse.

I have a question for mooman's team when we were all in the same channel for one game, did that make it more or less fun? I liked having the other team in the channel to talk back and forth at, even though it hampered team communication. Made it a bit more fun, just not sure if it turned out that way for the losing team (butterfly talking so much trash!).
    I think it might just be better to accept that games will be imbalanced sometimes, and try to figure out ways to make it suck less for the losing team, cause I have no clue how to solve the balancing issue.

Nisi on
  • ChopperDaveChopperDave Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I would love to see a Champion Spotlight that you ma]e for Mordekaiser. I have him and wish I was better at him but I can't seem to stay in the lane well, especially with some ranged opponents.

I'm flattered, but unfortunately my shitty work laptop (which I have to play LoL on for the next 2 weeks before I can get back to the US of A) sucks too much balls for video capture. Maybe later.

I posit that there is something about Singed that brings out the retard in solo queurs. I TELL people "Don't chase Singed unless he's the last person standing, and even then, just ignoring him is usually the best option," but noooo. Every fucking person has to chase him halfway across the map, then run away from him BACK across the map, then gets jumped by the rest of the enemy team who had plenty of time to position themselves for a gank, then gets ME killed trying to save his dumbass.

"But he was alone!" Of course he was alone, dumbass, that's how he baits you!

ChopperDave on
    3DS code: 3007-8077-4055
    edited June 2010
    I would love to see a Champion Spotlight that you ma]e for Mordekaiser. I have him and wish I was better at him but I can't seem to stay in the lane well, especially with some ranged opponents.

I'm flattered, but unfortunately my shitty work laptop (which I have to play LoL on for the next 2 weeks before I can get back to the US of A) sucks too much balls for video capture. Maybe later.

I posit that there is something about Singed that brings out the retard in solo queurs. I TELL people "Don't chase Singed unless he's the last person standing, and even then, just ignoring him is usually the best option," but noooo. Every fucking person has to chase him halfway across the map, then run away from him BACK across the map, then gets jumped by the rest of the enemy team who had plenty of time to position themselves for a gank, then gets ME killed trying to save his dumbass.

"But he was alone!" Of course he was alone, dumbass, that's how he baits you!

Even better? People chasing a Singed that has his Rylai's. 15% movement speed debuff on poison trail! I've seen Singed players with Rylai's actually turn around briefly to make sure the idiot doesn't lose hope.

Mouschi on
    1848717-1.png
    edited June 2010
    Yeah I'm not really sure that inhouses are worth it. It's not like the teams talk to eachother much if at all, and the balance is worse than random matchmaking. Maybe we should just stick to normal games.

Zek on
  • undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    nealcm wrote: »
    lane hyper aggression 2010 2: electric boogaloo and stuns

never forget

this is coincidentally the funniest title for multiple reasons

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • CutfangCutfang Dancing Bagel WalessssssssRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    @Nisi

Playing with everyone in the same channel was really fun, even if I felt that I probably lost the game for that team with my impressive 10 deaths as singed. It was still really really funny trying to double bluff by running down mid yelling "I'm allll alone" when I actually was very far away from any teammates. It failed miserably, but ah well. I'd do it again.

Cutfang on
    Dancing Bagel
    edited June 2010
    Yeah I'm not really sure that inhouses are worth it. It's not like the teams talk to eachother much if at all, and the balance is worse than random matchmaking. Maybe we should just stick to normal games.

I've had a lot of fun with in-houses, although I've certainly gotten frustrated sometimes. But when they're fun, they're REALLY fun.

Mouschi on
    1848717-1.png
    edited June 2010
    Nisi wrote: »

As I explained in regards to the other night, I said play someone that's not your main (meaning who you are best with) that you want to get better at. I literally cannot play someone new unless a champion has just been released. But yes, making rules for champion selection either doesn't work very well, or makes the game take an hour to start (ie when we did draft, which was fun, but took a long time to put together).

I've had a few of those nights where I lost every inhouse.

I have a question for mooman's team when we were all in the same channel for one game, did that make it more or less fun? I liked having the other team in the channel to talk back and forth at, even though it hampered team communication. Made it a bit more fun, just not sure if it turned out that way for the losing team (butterfly talking so much trash!).
    I think it might just be better to accept that games will be imbalanced sometimes, and try to figure out ways to make it suck less for the losing team, cause I have no clue how to solve the balancing issue.

I thought it was fun to have everyone in the same channel.

I liked killing Butterfly, those parts were fun.

Melkster on
    edited June 2010
    Maybe we should all just stay in the same chan for inhouses then, the silliness and trash talking can make losing be more hilarious than suck.

Nisi on
    edited June 2010
    Cutfang wrote: »
    @Nisi

Playing with everyone in the same channel was really fun, even if I felt that I probably lost the game for that team with my impressive 10 deaths as singed. It was still really really funny trying to double bluff by running down mid yelling "I'm allll alone" when I actually was very far away from any teammates. It failed miserably, but ah well. I'd do it again.

Wait you were trying to bluff them? Haha.

I just thought you were being honestly silly.

Melkster on
    edited June 2010
    I'm fine with the idea of mandatory same-channel inhousing.

Zek on
  • CognisseurCognisseur Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Man, Tristana is so fun end-game. Like, it's a slow start but it's getting better as I get better at last-hitting. But by the end of the game, I feel like some kind of god. Oh, there's a Kennen attacking me, uh... let's just destroy him now. Done.

Cognisseur on
  • CutfangCutfang Dancing Bagel WalessssssssRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    @Nisi

I wanted to get some free minion kills and maybe take a pot shot at their tower without retaliation, for fear of the sudden gank. It didn't work. You should come play, it's just me, Bigwah and Cog atm.

I'm not too bothered if we stay in the same channel, since I also quite like competitive inhouses too. Funny how this wouldn't have happened if it weren't for Nisi and MooMan being so damn stubborn.

Cutfang on
    Dancing Bagel
    edited June 2010
    I'm fine with the idea of mandatory same-channel inhousing.

Everyone not on my team get the... stay in this channel.

I like the more competitive seperate channels version as well, but it seems like a decent alternative for fun goofy inhouses.

Nisi on
    edited June 2010
    @Nisi

I wanted to get some free minion kills and maybe take a pot shot at their tower without retaliation, for fear of the sudden gank. It didn't work. You should come play, it's just me, Bigwah and Cog atm.

I'm at work buddy =P
    I'm not too bothered if we stay in the same channel, since I also quite like competitive inhouses too. Funny how this wouldn't have happened if it weren't for Nisi and MooMan being so damn stubborn.

I thought my song would move someone (possibly to tears) but it did not.

Oh, we should totally have a level 1 smurf in-house sometime. That would be interesting.

Melkster on
    edited June 2010
    I thought my song would move someone (possibly to tears) but it did not.

Oh, we should totally have a level 1 smurf in-house sometime. That would be interesting.

The song was awesome.

Nisi on
  • FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Also I think FightTest played like a few thousand games from beta til now.

Urquan is the one arguing, not me. Also I played like 230 in beta and ~340 now post-wipe, nowhere near a few nerdthousand.

edit.. re:inhouses, they're good because you can play a char you probably suck with and not care. Losing a bunch of practice games doesn't fuck up your record. I was totally going to play Blitz last night to practice my grabbing skills because failing to grab in a real game is shameful but Nisi is a jerknose and is like, "hey want to plGET OUT GET THE FUCK OUT WHAT THE FUCK GET OUT."

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
    edited June 2010
    FightTest wrote: »
    re:inhouses, they're good because you can play a char you probably suck with and not care.

This is why I like inhouses, I can play champions other than Annie.
    Also I think FightTest played like a few thousand games from beta til now.

FWIW I disagreed with Urquan and I have about 2000 games if I include my beta record. I'm a nerd :(

Nisi on
  • nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    nealcm wrote: »
    lane hyper aggression 2010 2: electric boogaloo and stuns

never forget

this is coincidentally the funniest title for multiple reasons

reasons being he was kennen and i was taric

electric boogaloo and stuns

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
    edited June 2010
    Nisi wrote: »
    FWIW I disagreed with Urquan and I have about 2000 games if I include my beta record. I'm a nerd :(

I disagree with you and I have a PhD in leagues and another PhD in legends so THERE.

Wait is this about the Ashe thing? I have no data to back up my assertions re: Ashe, unfortunately.

Mouschi on
    1848717-1.png
    edited June 2010
    inhouses in the same channel do seem more hilarious

this way i can make fun of mooman easier instead of having to stop to type when he does something bad

like plays feedamere

man i'm a pro feedamere

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The best Tryndamere is the one that gets away because your team has no CC and everyone tries to burn him down first for some reason even though Endless Rage is up

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
    edited June 2010
    i'm just so bad at him

i mean i love those moments where i have super low health so its like 100% crit and i'm eating people but then i die anyway and my KDR is always negative because i die so much as tryndamere

thus feedamere

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The best Tryndamere is the one where I play him for once because fuck it and then find myself laning against Taric and blue buff Shaco and can't get any fucking creeps or I lose half my health or more and end up being a complete failure and regret ever picking Tryndamere.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
    edited June 2010
    yeah pretty much

i hear olaf is the tryndamere that should have been so imma probably try that when i get 3k ip

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
    edited June 2010
    apparently matchmaker believes that balanced matches involve putting people who recently suffered blunt trauma to the head on my team, and tryhards on the other team

i'm pretty sure the should just rename the solo queue matchmaker "retard magnet"

also i'm queue dodging olaf, because virtually every one i've seen has been a relentless feeder

ChopperDave on
  • FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    it seems that when i solo and play someone other than amumu my team gets stomped by team comp. not saying that me team mates weren't pretty shitty as well, but the team comp was poor on top of that.

i need to try the new kayle though.

who would you buy, kat or akali?

Feldorn on
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Evelynn

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
    edited June 2010
    kat's better, so probably her

ChopperDave on
  • FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Evelynn

i have evelynn.

Feldorn on
  • SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Katarina and Akali are both solid heroes so it's a tough choice. I guess it depends on whether you want to do a lot of AoE damage and have one of the best heal debuffs or be one of the best chasers in the game.

Slicer on