As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Squidbunny's stupid thread again (help me do a crappy cover really fast)

• squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Heartlash wrote: »
    These are awesome and you should feel awesome.

One thing, though. Your male lead has a face that reads slightly sinister to me, almost like the villain in a Disney show/movie. Is this intentional?

wanted_cropped.jpg

?

But otherwise, thanks. :)

Mully and Ken the sexy undressing of blue lines: Ken's way is good. My way is inelegant and I stumble through it so I sort of hesitate to propagate it, but summarily: I scan in RGB, adjust my levels, then hit up channels and delete the blue/cyan information, convert to grayscale to sort of purify/reset (my lines and also my soul), then switch back to RGB (CMYK would be smarter but RGB keeps my filesizes smaller and I try to be conscious of picking colors within the CMYK range).

TL;DR: I have no idea what I'm doing, really.

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Nogs wrote: »
    mully

do you have this book?

Scoot McCloud

i know it sounds ridiculous and he can rant quite a bit, but seriously, you should read it if you haven't. really helped me see things and understand some concepts i didn't realize were going on in comics.

It has to be done.
    20010622h.gif

Mustang on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    squidbunny wrote: »
    TL;DR: I have no idea what I'm doing, really.

LIAR
    I love your work squidbunny
    I'm just bitter that you left the hell comic industry so soon

Tam on
  • KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Tam wrote: »
    you left the hell comic industry so soon

im curious-- is this an inside joke or you worked in some aspect of the comic industry in a formal role? totally believable that you did..

Kendeathwalker on
    edited May 2010
    no she started a comic about a dude who went to hell
    and it was good
    and she never finished it

Tam on
  • DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    This is awesome and I would love to see more.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
    edited May 2010
    Tam wrote: »
    no she started a comic about a dude who went to hell
    and it was good
    and she never finished it

I never saw that, you should totally show us that squids.

Mustang on
    edited May 2010
    It's still running at hellscorners.com. But it's ugly and unfunny, now, and only updates weekly, because I hate it and don't focus on it. Which, coincidentally, is why I don't post about it in these parts (except I was posting my weekly page as a daily drawing for awhile before I fell off the Resolutions wagon): I quit looking for feedback on it because I'm very aware of everything wrong with it and plain ol' don't feel like working to improve it because it's not, you know, a thing. It's easier to keep up on the side if I don't actually try to make it any better. Well. The side of the side, since right now I'm trying to do Next Town Over on the primary side.

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • slacktronslacktron Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Diversity of ideas is the sign of a good storyteller, and the enthusiasm you have for a project shines through in the product.

I'd recommend trying to find some kind of "season finale" plot point in Hells' Corners so you can free up your mind to focus on Next Town Over. In spite of the examples put forward by Marvel and DC, you don't have to draw a single title for decades. That's what's so great about being indie. You can let it rest for a few months while you follow your muse.

And given your mad skillz, I wouldn't worry about your HC fans jumping ship because you're doing NTO. My bet is they'd follow you anywhere. Personally, I love your stuff and believe you can do no wrong with whatever tale you're spinning.

slacktron on
    slacktron_zombie_fighter_sig.jpg
  • mullymully Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Nogs wrote: »
    mully

do you have this book?

understandingcomics500.jpg

i know it sounds ridiculous and he can rant quite a bit, but seriously, you should read it if you haven't. really helped me see things and understand some concepts i didn't realize were going on in comics.

just bought this and 2 other books on amazon! hope to have em next week!

mully on
    edited May 2010
    It is the best book.

slack: d'awwww. :o

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I just bought it myself and I'm looking forward to reading it.

PS your clean pencils are insane, but this is not really a big surprise to me since I've seen you draw before.

I like the way you're building things up here, incidentally. I also like the arson bit on his wanted poster for various silly reasons probably applicable only to myself.

Now do more, damn you!

PPS I think I might do some Hell's Corners fan art soon-ish. I started doing a thing but I didn't really feel it so I will try again.

Spectre-x on
    edited May 2010
    Not NTO, but since Tam was nice enough to ask about it and I'm now deviating from what I had been doing with it, today's HC:

001.png

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
    edited May 2010
    seems like a time thing.. but you could at least crop and move the picture around inside the frame to make it appear each panel is different.

Kendeathwalker on
  • NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    mully wrote: »
    so im looking at your rough pencils

you do blue wireframes to get everything set up

then you do your pencil lines

how do you clean them up?

how do you photoshop?

would love to see one of those process gifs from you

sorry im asking so many questions, i just adore this and im looking to start drawing a comic so i want to learn the best way to do it

and i like the way you do it

now i just feel like im hitting on you

i second all this except i AM hitting on you.....baby. Also those pages give me an art boner.

In my pants.

NakedZergling on
    edited May 2010
    I haven't been spending enough time on this.

nto01_06.jpg

I'm gonna put them all in the OP so they can be perused with sequential ease for your critical pleasure.

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
    edited May 2010
    squidbunny, I've said this before, but

I am going to eat your molluskan-lagomorphic brain

Tam on
  • Faded_SneakersFaded_Sneakers City of AngelsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hey squid, I dont know what your method is, but if you happen to do full pencils or inks before coloring would you mind posting what theyd look like. Even if its just a rough sketch before you begin rendering Id be interested to see what it looks like.

And great stuff. I especially liked the background in that bottom left panel. I love seeing artists take the time to create the environment and not gloss over it.

Faded_Sneakers on
    Instagram: fadedsneakers
    edited May 2010
    pssssssssssssst. Faded.. look on page 2.

Kendeathwalker on
  • Faded_SneakersFaded_Sneakers City of AngelsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Fuck me.

Thank you Ken.

Ignore me Squid I am retarded.

Faded_Sneakers on
    Instagram: fadedsneakers
    edited June 2010
    I'd be more on top of thanking you lot for your continued support if I had internet at home presently. D:

Faded, your words re: that background are reassuring as hell; I was totally, specifically worried that I was being too gestural with backgrounds and should be really drafting them out better.

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    sweet comic! luvverly colours and the lines, the lines! they are so sharp.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    That second to last panel with the horse walking down the street is totally awesome. The only thing bugging me about it as i look at it more is the horse is the only thing NOT casting a shadow. But still it's great. I''ve also been playing so much "Red Dead Redemption" lately that i'm about to pop on a cowboy hay and break a horses back with my fat ass.

NakedZergling on
    edited June 2010
    I do need to do something about that, Zerg. It's conspicuous. My problem was the whole street should technically be in partial shadow due to sunset but things I did early on looked weird or visually ambiguous. I'll try stuff.

Meanwhile, bang.

nto01_07.jpg

I swear stuff is about to actually happen in these pages in the immediate future. I was trying to do sort of a languorously-paced lead in. I don't know if it's working. Is it?

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • VirumVirum Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It is for me. I used to read your Hell's Corners, but the latest updates to the series haven't been as interesting as they used to be. However, everytime this thread is updated I check to see if you posted a new page for this series.

Honestly I wish you were churning it out twice a week!

Virum on
    edited June 2010
    oh come on! you arse! Lol, great page, way to leave us wanting more.

NakedZergling on
    edited June 2010
    That John Henry Hunter is up to no good.

Mustang on
  • mullymully Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    i had a dream last night that i was trapped inside your comic, but it was a video game, and i was all "man, she stole her idea from a video game? well, i guess she did a good job of it."

it was weird

mully on
  • ParadiseParadise Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    oh come on! you arse! Lol, great page, way to leave us wanting more.

My American version of the same feeling:

oh come on! you ass! Lol, great page, way to leave us wanting more.

Paradise on
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The red and white backsides to those cards are absolutely mesmerizing. What witchcraft have you used to achieve that!?

When first looking at the second panel the cards appear too straight and not bent enough, to do that hand to hand switcheroo trick, but it's such a minor nitpick to the point of being pointless. Another exceptionally done page.

earthwormadam on
  • slacktronslacktron Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    squidbunny wrote: »
    I swear stuff is about to actually happen in these pages in the immediate future. I was trying to do sort of a languorously-paced lead in. I don't know if it's working. Is it?

Things appear to be happening now. I think you're doing a great job with pacing in that you have a contrast between the vibrantly-colored JH Hunter scenes -- full of fast talk and flying cards -- verses the muted colors and plodding inevitability of Vane's approach.

Although her scenes bring the languor you desire, they are emphasized by Hunter's dynamics. Sort of like jumping into a cold pool after 15 minutes in a hot tub.

So short answer: lazy pace? Yes, but you're a far sight from boring.

slacktron on
    slacktron_zombie_fighter_sig.jpg
  • Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Your gestures, expressions, colours and insane attention to detail never fail to amaze me, holy shit. I am ridiculously jealous of your mad skills.

Spectre-x on
    edited June 2010
    I probably should've waited to post this along with the next page due to the awkward beat it ends on, but feedback's just too rad to wait.

<3, duders.

nto01_08.jpg

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • ParadiseParadise Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Hahaha! :^:

Paradise on
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It's a little hard to read her expression in panels like 3 because you don't ink the entire eye (including what could be considered some of the more expressive part like her lower eyelid line) and the whites of her eye are really close in tone to her flesh tone.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    geeerssh I want mo

earthwormadam on
    edited June 2010
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    It's a little hard to read her expression in panels like 3 because you don't ink the entire eye (including what could be considered some of the more expressive part like her lower eyelid line) and the whites of her eye are really close in tone to her flesh tone.

True dat. Because I'm not inking, some of my linework gets blown out when I adjust levels and I don't objectively see how badly. I'll fix it.

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
    edited June 2010
    gah, that's right we had that whole "nope just kick ass pencils" discussion a few pages back didn't we lol. Show's how well I pay attention :)

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

edited June 2010
    Well nowhere in said conversation did we excuse shit being unreadable because I'm lazy. :D

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
    edited June 2010
    Haha, no... but I could have said "pencils" or "line art" and at least seem like I know what's up :lol:

Nappuccino on