Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

DON'T BE A DICK UPDATE: PLEASE READ

Irond WillIrond Will DragonmasterCambridge. MASuper Moderator, Moderator mod
so

just a heads up to you "regulars" on this forum

i am going to start throwing cards on this kneejerk criticism of threads you don't like and the dogpiling on people who reported something they thought was cute but you aren't feeling it

so if you don't like a post

the safest thing is gonna be to place your vote

and shut the fuck up otherwise

Irond Will on
Wqdwp8l.png

• HenroidHenroid Nobody Nowhere fastRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    ... You probably didn't intend for this to be replied to / left unlocked but I'm taking the opportunity anyhow.

I can understand the not being a dick to people thing, but are we really not going to be allowed to say things aren't awesome or have bad context to them? This seems a little iron-fisted in the way of "play nice, children."

"Ultima Online Pre-Trammel is the perfect example of why libertarians are full of shit."
    - @Ludious
    PA Lets Play Archive - Twitter - Blog (6/15/14)
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Indeed, we already have enough quite frankly bad reports, I think the fear of looking foolish really helps sort the wheat from the chaff

Although I agree I'm sick of the subforum infighting and people being negative nancys all the goddamn time over everything

But I don't think criticism in itself is bad

• Irond WillIrond Will Dragonmaster Cambridge. MASuper Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited June 2010
    we are going to be criticism-free for a while. we will try this.

if people want to report things that you don't like, place a vote and otherwise suck it up

if you think that someone is abusing their reporting privileges, report their post (not for awesome, the other one), or otherwsie alert a mod. we can take away that privilege, and if someone is being a real dick about it, we can always card or ban them.

i don't think the fear of being mocked is doing anything to help anyone. On the other hand, it has started a nasty little treehouse and exacerbated dumb forum rivalries, and has really detracted from the intended atmosphere of this forum

i'll leave this thread open for now so i can clarify or answer questions, but be forewarned that i am not going to change my mind on this for now.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited June 2010
    "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all"

• RendRend Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I for one think this is exactly what this forum has needed. I feel like it would be a lot more fun and active if people didn't think to themselves "man I'd love to report this for awesome but I know all the regulars in that forum would just mock me up and down for it."

edited June 2010
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »

I think there's a space between "be a complete fucking asshole" and "be super duper nice and give out a gumdrop every post!" You could call it gray area or happy medium. Not being a dick is one thing, but not being able to provide negative feedback is really lame. I do think it could help people to realize why things get voted down in stars, or whatever.

My position on this has less to do with the Awesome Posts? forum specifically and more to do with being told what we can and cannot say to unreasonable lengths.

"Ultima Online Pre-Trammel is the perfect example of why libertarians are full of shit."
    - @Ludious
  • EdcrabEdcrab Registered User
    edited June 2010
    Look Henroid you're a good guy but I don't think you need to be spinning this as some sort of freedom of expression/freedom of posting scenario

Artist's Corner? Writer's Block? They exist for constructive criticism. If something sucks there, you can tell the creator that it sucks, with the proviso that you explain why it sucks

Here? When we're supposed to be increasing forum awareness of potentially awesome content? It's hard to be constructive beyond expressing your opinion, and it's hard to express your opinion beyond varying degrees of saying "I think this is bad and you are bad" when the whole point is something as subjective and vague and, let's face it, ridiculous as awesomeness

And even then, people manage to come across as petty and pedantic or, dare I say it, mean

Basically yeah this all makes perfect sense if you ask me. We don't have to go in and say it's not awesome, just click the star and let everyone else make up our own minds

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Well, I know I've posted things in here that after the fact I've thought "eh, kinda shitty to say" so I know when to take a hint.

But at the same time there's been a lot of praise heaped on to truly awesome posts that really deserve it, and maybe that's all that this sub-forum needs.

I think this is a good idea, because some people do seem to get their rocks off tearing people down.

Skull2185 wrote: »
    Basically, (PlayStation) Home is Second Life Ultra Light? Most of the cool stuff, none of the creepy blimp on blimp fucking.
    edited June 2010
    Artist's Corner is Artist's Corner and Writer's Block is Writer's Block. And Help / Advice is what it is too.

I don't think Awesome Posts? has ever been held up to that sort of standard nor should it be. And again, I understand that people are dicks sometimes, but saying you don't think something is awesome or questioning the context doesn't hurt people's feelings. And if it does, it's their problem, not ours.

- @Ludious
    edited June 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    Artist's Corner is Artist's Corner and Writer's Block is Writer's Block. And Help / Advice is what it is too.

I don't think Awesome Posts? has ever been held up to that sort of standard nor should it be. And again, I understand that people are dicks sometimes, but saying you don't think something is awesome or questioning the context doesn't hurt people's feelings. And if it does, it's their problem, not ours.

I think we're done here...

edit: Well look at the bright side, Henroid; now you can just bitch about this forum too on your twitter. Different outlet, same results!

Basically, (PlayStation) Home is Second Life Ultra Light? Most of the cool stuff, none of the creepy blimp on blimp fucking.
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Look. Clearly this is a conspiracy put into motion after someone questioned the awesomeness of Will's post that was reported.

Lizardmen.

TuckSig.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk
  • EdcrabEdcrab Registered User
    edited June 2010
    Look, I don't think this is a moratorium on all negative feedback, it's a moratorium on people ranting about submissions that don't quite meet their perspective on what makes something awesome (which as I said is all kinds of silly)

And I'm sure we can all agree we've seen that happen a hundred times

Unless Will didn't intend that and comes back to contradict us all but hey, so far I'm simply taking this as a very specific extension of the DON'T BE A DICK golden rule: you know, that kneejerk dogpiling circlejerkery backslappery nastiness is not what this place was ever intended to be about

I for one am all for this mini-edict

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This thread is awesome. I gave it 5 stars!

:)

But yes, I really enjoy the idea. Greatest idea for these forums since the glorious edict.

steam_sig.png
    edited June 2010
    Look. Clearly this is a conspiracy put into motion after someone questioned the awesomeness of Will's post that was reported.

Lizardmen.

only two stars made my soul hurt

action needed to be taken

Wqdwp8l.png
    edited June 2010

I think we're done here...

edit: Well look at the bright side, Henroid; now you can just bitch about this forum too on your twitter. Different outlet, same results!

subscribe #thisisbadyouarebad

Wqdwp8l.png
    edited June 2010

in this forum, for now, it will end up being your problem.

i understand that you don't like it

you don't have to

Wqdwp8l.png
    edited June 2010

Lizardmen.

I actually thought that when I saw this yesterday thinking it was a joke. <_<

- @Ludious
  • MetacortexMetacortex The Prettiest Zombie Coeur d'CoeursRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    If this helps weed out all the whiny "well, this is kind of funny, but is it awesome?" type posts, then I am 100% for it.

4FNao2T.png
    edited June 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »

in this forum, for now, it will end up being your problem.

i understand that you don't like it

you don't have to

I've got 99 problems but a forum ain't one of 'em.

Edit - In all seriousness, I don't intend to break the rule or whatever. Just getting my say in. In the big picture, I value being on the forum period.

- @Ludious
  • bowenbowen Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Metacortex wrote: »
    If this helps weed out all the whiny "well, this is kind of funny, but is it awesome?" type posts, then I am 100% for it.

Here, have some lime in your coke.

Feel free to drink it all up.

edited June 2010
    I don't think whiny is the word for "funny, but not awesome." It's more of... damn, what's the word I'm looking for here...

Well, I did it myself, at any rate.

- @Ludious
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    If I'm reading this right, the problem isn't the 'this is bad' comments. It's the 'God, this is so bad. Why are you so bad? Stop being bad' comments.

@vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
    edited June 2010
    Willeth wrote: »
    If I'm reading this right, the problem isn't the 'this is bad' comments. It's the 'God, this is so bad. Why are you so bad? Stop being bad' comments.

well, there are a number of problems, but they basically stem from people being overly critical and depressing the intended atmosphere

so the rule is "don't post negative or critical replies regarding the reported-for-awesome posts in this forum"

Wqdwp8l.png
  • MetalbourneMetalbourne Tube's Favorite Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    you'd think that the easiest way to get rid of people whining about shitty posts is to get rid of the shitty posts.

• Arazlam DuraiArazlam Durai Registered User
    edited June 2010
    you'd think that the easiest way to get rid of people whining about shitty posts is to get rid of the shitty posts.

You'd think that but then something nice comes along and it still happens and, well, you know how it goes.

• MetalbourneMetalbourne Tube's Favorite Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    well the problem is that everything only gets a positive vote. I still contend that the scale should extend to negative stars, and if the average for a post you've reported drops below zero, then your account is banned until the average goes back up above zero. Its not perfect, but the entire problem is that the quality of posts here have gotten steadly worse since the mods have started cracking down on people who flame for shitty or stupid posts.

edited June 2010
    well the problem is that everything only gets a positive vote. I still contend that the scale should extend to negative stars, and if the average for a post you've reported drops below zero, then your account is banned until the average goes back up above zero. Its not perfect, but the entire problem is that the quality of posts here have gotten steadly worse since the mods have started cracking down on people who flame for shitty or stupid posts.

it sounds like you have an awesome idea for a forum!

send us the URL when you get it up and running

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

1 star.

edited June 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »

it sounds like you have an awesome idea for a forum!

send us the URL when you get it up and running

See this is kinda awesome.

Although it'd be mega-awesome if you did, in fact, set up a forum because of it.

That would be a good example of an awesome post.

We could even use that post as context.

edited June 2010
    I shit on your mom.

• Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It boggles my mind that some people managed to fail at understanding the purpose of this forum so totally.

It's here for some extra exposure of the funny/cute/epic posts happening in various forums so that people who might otherwise miss those posts get a chance to see them.

This critics circle nonsense is not what the forum is meant for. The rating system is there to help forumers sort quickly through these posts and more readily find things that will amuse them. And that's really it.

I don't have enough time to keep up with Social Entropy (for example) but I find a lot of the posters there very funny. Through this forum I can laugh along with them on a very casual basis. Flaming anyone who dares submit something that fails to amuse me is just not in the spirit of awesomeness.

edited June 2010
    jeeps knows what is up

Wqdwp8l.png
  • PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    bowen wrote: »
    I shit on your mom.
    bowen wrote: »
    FOR LORDAERON!

Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    jeepguy wrote: »
    It boggles my mind that some people managed to fail at understanding the purpose of this forum so totally.

It's here for some extra exposure of the funny/cute/epic posts happening in various forums so that people who might otherwise miss those posts get a chance to see them.

This critics circle nonsense is not what the forum is meant for. The rating system is there to help forumers sort quickly through these posts and more readily find things that will amuse them. And that's really it.

I don't have enough time to keep up with Social Entropy (for example) but I find a lot of the posters there very funny. Through this forum I can laugh along with them on a very casual basis. Flaming anyone who dares submit something that fails to amuse me is just not in the spirit of awesomeness.

^ This is pretty much what needs to be said.

Two goats enter, one car leaves
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, likewise. Love that forum battle going on because whenever Chico gets his shit going it's hilarious, but all be damned if I could keep up with SE++.

• ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »

Which is why I type :whistle:

that's it, I'm shutting this entire forum down, everyone thank buttcleft
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited June 2010

The easiest way would be to ban the whiny posters.

edited June 2010

So then shut off the ability to reply to any threads here.

- @Ludious
  • NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

So then shut off the ability to reply to any threads here.

This seems like an unnecessarily drastic measure when it's far easier just to say don't be a negative nancy.

Also replies are useful for adding even more context, or similar posts (see the forum battle posts where other entries were posted after the OP)

As well as the ability to have discussion that adds something beyond "this sucks."

• RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I think the issue is twofold 1) "you are not your work", and 2) criticism != to whining

This discussion has been closed.