Don't like the snow? You can make a bookmark with the following text instead of a url: javascript:snowStorm.toggleSnow(). Clicking it will toggle the snow on and off.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

There are many Fantasies; but this, like the last, was Final [FFXI]

• KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Tag wrote: »
    Huh, what is today's patch for?

Prepatch for the 21st.

time to crash, the dawn is up, the sun gleems out glorious ps4 sunbeams and i can trade those sunbeams and do whatever i want with them.
  • OrmiOrmi Registered User
    edited June 2010
    seabass wrote: »
    It went available for pre-order last night according to my POL login screens.

Also, terrestrial avatars GET!

Celestial LRUlb.gif

• seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ormi wrote: »

Celestial LRUlb.gif

Really? Huh. I'll keep that in mind then.

Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
    edited June 2010
    Ormi wrote: »

Celestial LRUlb.gif

Really? Huh. I'll keep that in mind then.

Yep. You'll notice they're the ones with stars in the sky, which Carbuncle and crew are without.

edited June 2010
    What are you guys talking about? Are Summoners getting MORE summons?

time to crash, the dawn is up, the sun gleems out glorious ps4 sunbeams and i can trade those sunbeams and do whatever i want with them.
  • TagTag Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Heh I accidentally bought a M.Kris and now I am broke. Time for more fishing.

GW2 Characters (Fort Aspenwood): Roy Gee Biv
    (Retired) Rift Characters (Faeblight): Tag, Fabulous, Rawr, Clericalerror, Salestag
    (Retired) Let's Play: Lone Wolf
    edited June 2010
    KiTA wrote: »
    What are you guys talking about? Are Summoners getting MORE summons?

Plot details.

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2010
    I bought some arrows for the next job I will be playing; Ranger. That and some silent oil, and now I have 7k gil.

Some days I just want to smack people with a rolled up newspaper. Or a phone book.
    A folding chair is looking like an attractive option right now too...
    edited June 2010
    I bought some arrows for the next job I will be playing; Ranger. That and some silent oil, and now I have 7k gil.

I woulda gone with Xbow ranger myself; bolts are dirt cheap and you do more damage than any other ranger build (unless someone else is putting up acid bolts anyway ;P ) Plus it's nice to have a sleep and lifedrain.

(Retired) Rift Characters (Faeblight): Tag, Fabulous, Rawr, Clericalerror, Salestag
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2010
    I'll keep that in mind once I use up these arrows.

Some days I just want to smack people with a rolled up newspaper. Or a phone book.
    edited June 2010
    Well I suppose it also depends on how high you want to take it, the cost benefit only kicks in big time later.

12xHoly Bolt Quiver = 25k
    12xDemon Arrow Quiver = 75k
    12xSilver Bullet Pouch = 125k

edited June 2010
    You are comparing a level 30 bolt with a level 60 arrow and a level 50 bullet.

If you wanted to compare a level 30 arrow with that level 30 bolt then we could go a stack of Horn quivers for 20k.

Edit:

Horn_Arrow.jpg

Demon_Arrow.gif

Holy_Bolt.gif

Further edit: I wanted to make the point that there are not really equvilants between the three ranged weapon types useful to Rangers. They all play out quite differently which, I suppose, was the point.

edited June 2010
    The difference is Holy Bolt is used 30-75.

Edit: those are all the high end ammo types, which is why they were used.

• EdwinOfThayEdwinOfThay Registered User
    edited June 2010
    Moral of the story: don't level ranger if you can't afford it.

edited June 2010
    About to go fight Dark Spark.

Edit: My Macro finger slipped.

oops.jpg

edited June 2010
    Dark Spark dead, GK II complete.

edited June 2010
    So I hit 75 and more or less quit playing the game, partially cause I started college summer courses literally the day after that. My IRL friends that were playing also quit, the diiiiicks.

Apparently I should be working on Dragoon and/or that L75 evolving Great Katana, as apparently it will be used in the expansion.

edited June 2010
    If you want a real goal KiTA shoot for Soboro or baring that, Hagun.

The Trials G.Katana may eventually out do them, but their bonuses are exceptionally strong. They would have to outdo getting ~90% more WSs or getting a constant +100TP on each WS respectively.

Dragoon is a really good sub to have too, but only once you have a lot of other haste gear too. The jumps and bonus acc aren't good enough without the /drg haste gear.

Edit: Additionally you can work on collecting enough storeTP for a 5 hit build.

edited June 2010
    Hehehe M.Kris is so fun. On it's own it is a flurry of attacks, but I paired it with /war + Fighter's Roll for S&G and it is just hilarity.

edited June 2010
    This first half of the week just kills me. So tired.

Worth every second.

edited June 2010
    I hate PL parties so much.

Invited to a party in Qufim. I have my search comment up saying no PL parties. I show up and lo and behold; a high level paladin. I pray he is going to sync down, but no; one of the scholars is dual boxing it.

I say what the hell, I can bend once.

The party has no tank, no provoke. I have to wait until people do enough damage to bounce agro or until the Paladin gets around to massive curing me.

The fourth death was a wight that latched onto me due to yellow HP when I moved away from the crab I pulled so I could not gimp myself with the bow.

"Hmm. Not really our fault on that one."

Yeah. Sure it wasn't. Jackass.

• legionofonelegionofone __BANNED USERS
    edited June 2010
    Fuck it, going to fire up my old RDM again.

Any advice for crafting here? Other than obligatory "don't do it"? I wanted to learn blacksmithing (HUM in Windhurst) so I traveled to Bastok and I remember dying from a bee at level 14 when I was in the area outside of Bastok.

Edit: This was over a year ago so yeah. But this thread made me want to get back into the swing of things.

"They have shit," Krause said. "Rights my ass. 'Rights'. Nobody has any fucking rights unless they've got a machine gun."
    edited June 2010
    Go mining and smelt ores. That will get you some points to start with, and materials for later synths.

edited June 2010
    I <3 PL parties. Anything to get me from L20 to L35 so I can move onto Colibri.

edited June 2010
    http://www.playonline.com/pcd/topics/ff11us/detail/5561/detail.html

- The "Dual Wield" job trait will become available to dancers at level 20, with the degree of mastery increasing in stages thereafter.

... Holy fuck. WAR/DNC at 40 will thus be able to dual wield, in addition to all the rest of the asskickery. Same with THF/DNC. That's fucking amazing.

http://www.playonline.com/pcd/topics/ff11us/detail/5549/detail.html

Walk of Echoes sounds just like campaign for L75+ characters. Will this be where we get L75+ gear, outside of paying 10-50 million gil for crafted stuff?

edited June 2010
    I still can't buy the damned thing, btw. Can anyone? Is this a glitch on my end?

edited June 2010
    KiTA wrote: »
    http://www.playonline.com/pcd/topics/ff11us/detail/5561/detail.html

- The "Dual Wield" job trait will become available to dancers at level 20, with the degree of mastery increasing in stages thereafter.

... Holy fuck. WAR/DNC at 40 will thus be able to dual wield, in addition to all the rest of the asskickery. Same with THF/DNC. That's fucking amazing.

That's pretty god damn amazing. DNC/MNK will be a pretty nice tank now if /counterstance doesn't get cut (since they can OH an M.Kris and pump out decent WS damage with a real dagger MH). Thf/Dnc and Blu/Dnc will be pretty incredible too.

Any chance of a spoilered full text of the update for us poor working schmucks?

Edit: lolwut, ffxicyclopedia is unblocked again.
    Spoiler:

edited June 2010
    So having looked at the post, my own jobs sort of got decent but not super bonuses. 15 minute XIs would be nice on rolls except... they'll be overwritten on the COR itself (also a pain to keep track of barring a very clever spellcast update). The two new rolls look like gimicks, though a 5 minute movement buff will be at least convenient in town. If you can attack with it on though... that could be interesting. PUP doesn't get much but I guess that was sort of expected seeing as how it just got an update; I assume it will continue to get spells and such as it levels up. Honestly the biggest update I want for PUP is just native support to see pet TP and MP without having to use a command or open the equipment menu ;P

Dancer and /dancer really seems to be getting the most out of this, which, to be fair, was probably needed. I still think they need a native regain trait (even if it only works out of combat or while resting) so they can at least start with full TP for curing, as well as a unlinked waltz timers. Other than allowing raid healing, they really seem to be focusing on DNC as DPS or Tanking rather than healing / support (Divine Waltz 2 will be nice though).

The power of the added added traits will be really important. Drks could be getting some nice stuff from them, and I'm hoping the various boosts to MBing will be enough to bring it back into play (doubtful).

One thing that stands out is that their previous ideas of where they want the jobs to go from a few months back are basically ignored here. Nothing about using timing to alter the battle flow for mnks, no new hate management tricks for thfs, no damage boosts for Cor, no pulling tools for brd, no new native tier of elemental ninjitsu for ninja, no recovery tools for whm, etc.

• seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Well damn. I mean, really, what I want as a black mage is survivability. That is totally the reason I picked the job with the lowest hp on the race with the lowest hp, so that I could stand up while taking damage. At least the magic burst bonuses might bring some finesse back to things. Getting a couple new nukes isn't too bad either, but really, just tier V elementals versus something interesting? Meh.

I guess it could have been worse, they could have given us new high level weapon skills.

Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
    edited June 2010
    Well they said they wanted the mages to be a bit more suicidal so I guess this gives some breathing space 50% of the time without having to sub NIN. Meteor is presumably being saved for 90 or 99. Honestly if they do manage to bring back MBs, they and convert might bring BLMs back into parties.

• WillisIVIIXWillisIVIIX Registered User
    edited June 2010
    Spoiling my post for the huge,
    Spoiler:

edited June 2010
    @Willis re: PUPs
    Spoiler:

That said, as long as the auto keeps getting spells like normal, I don't think they need much more than a better UI and player perception.

Edit: Hey at least it's not bard's "diddlysquat."

edited June 2010
    What do you feel that Bards should have gotten in the update?

edited June 2010
    What do you feel that Bards should have gotten in the update?

They said they were giving them pulling tools, so that's up to SE. Hell they could have gotten a utility "Ghostly Hymn" to give sneak / invis and it would have been better than what they got.

Things that would have been worthwhile though:
    A new tier to even one of their useful songs
    A survivability ja or song that would allow them to more easily go something other than /nin and still pull well
    A gravity type song to help pull from a distance / give an alternative to gravity kiting
    A dark based sleep song
    Hell, any new song
    or some song or ability that would give them something worthwhile to do when *not* pulling.

edited June 2010
    Tag wrote: »
    @Willis re: PUPs
    Spoiler:

That said, as long as the auto keeps getting spells like normal, I don't think they need much more than a better UI and player perception.

Edit: Hey at least it's not bard's "diddlysquat."

If SE can pull through with the "Make Automatons tank better", plan I think you still have something on the table to be happy about. We can't expect any UI updates, I'm sure deep down they feel it's good enough with chat macros to get what you want.

I can't really see BRD get anything worth a crap from now until closure. Maybe some dual stances happening like jobs have gotten the last couple updates? But you can't really buff something they can't do like DPS, or heal. It's just a job that's too good at what it does because it's so specific. Oh and it's only going to get worse with higher /RDM levels, more fast cast = more standing around, or becoming the pinnacle of support with refresh and convert with the massively lower singing times. Actually I'd be ok with that, I hate pulling with Elegy/Lullaby, it's weak.

edited June 2010
    @Willis Puppets will never even small group tank until they can be healed. Also there isn't even chat support for pet mp, you have to go into the equipment menu by hand to check it; <petmp> would be such a massive improvement.

You aren't really being creative enough with bard. They don't have to be meleers, but there are utility or magic roles they could fill. Just giving them access to -na songs would be a boon.

• chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Re: pup.

As an early adopter of the class and using it as a main for so long... if the automaton is seriously out damaging me I am doing something wrong. Especially after the h2h update, I was able to switch out a lot of acc+ stuff for att buffs. If I'm not breaking the 900dmg level per SP then I must have sch subbed and sporting my goliard, because that'd be weak.

Still, depending on recast time for it I can see myself abusing the hell out of it. Coiler abuse is go~

edited June 2010
    Well maybe it changes at peak gear, but my auto out damages me pretty nicely at 68. Overall anyway, I use the haste and double attack attachments so it goes much faster than I do too, so I wouldn't be surprised if the WSs ended up weaker on a 1-to-1 basis.

But, if you're stealing 100TP from your auto, you're exchanging one of it's WS for one of your own, so every 3 minutes you get to make that difference in damage, assuming everything lines up (and how often does that happen). If your weaponskills are hitting for 900 and your automation is half that, that's a whopping... 2.5dps increase. Optimally.

• chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Pup damage changes massively once you gain access to stringing pummel at 75. You should probably see an increase of at least 60% in your output before optimal gear. It really is that big of a difference.

Also, mage pup ws are worthless so exchanging it is fine, and its the most common auto to havee out for just about everything. Ap I probably wouldn't trade out, but cb/bc would be a tossup as to whether I saw the auto doing enough.

edited June 2010
    I was just playing devil's advocate with the pup updates, mine is still level 2 so I haven't a clue what's going on with them >.> although I see the issue with pet mp display. I'd figure the windower boys would come up with a plugin sooner than SE would bother time with a UI update.

Yea I hadn't considered -na songs, going through the list of what they have, that's probably the only thing they don't, sans songs like stoneskin/shadows etc but I'm not sure how that'd fit into the current song system. The bitching from Summoners would be epic though if that did happen. I think the job just does what we want and need it to do perhaps a little too well. Sure it's survivability could go up but that'd probably be by a JT or JA and that's only in XP parties, no need to make their spell book go up anymore with situational songs, lol but I guess they did that anyways. OP job is OP is basically my stance, it just so happens to be one of the unsung ones that doesn't give the player a whole lot to reach for, which was always my problem with it.