As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[World Cup] Yes, France is still terrible

GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what?Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
edited June 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
Sagroth wrote: »
Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
GnomeTank on

• TalkaTalka Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Let's go defense! Nil-nil please!

Talka on
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Algeria looks...not good around the box.

a5ehren on
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Why are we prefering a draw to England flat out losing? Are we just realists and we don't think England will be trounced by these guys, or is there more strategery to it?

iTunesIsEvil on
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I think we're still using the other thread until England/Algera is over...I jumped the gun a bit.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    edited June 2010
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I think we're still using the other thread until England/Algera is over...I jumped the gun a bit.
    wwt's sending us this way. Or encouraging us anyway :)

iTunesIsEvil on
    edited June 2010
    Why are we prefering a draw to England flat out losing? Are we just realists and we don't think England will be trounced by these guys, or is there more strategery to it?

Algeria have apparently scored 1 goal in their last 6 international matches...not much confidence they can win this one.

a5ehren on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Either way, we can still use this one.

Looks like Rooney's a no show so far.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
    edited June 2010

If by "we" you mean the States, in the end it doesn't particuarly matter. If we beat Algeria by at least 2 next game, we're in regardless of any other outcome. I guess an England 0-0 draw here makes it a little easier.

GnomeTank on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010

Rooting for the US while not being completely insane in thinking England would lose. That would be amazing, so we split the difference and figure they'll draw.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    a5ehren wrote: »

Algeria have apparently scored 1 goal in their last 6 international matches...not much confidence they can win this one.

No one said they had to win.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

If Algeria win they'll have a reason to turn up against the US. They won't with a draw, but with no material effect on the US's chances.

The Fourth Estate on
    edited June 2010

If by "we" you mean the States, in the end it doesn't particuarly matter. If we beat Algeria by at least 2 next game, we're in regardless of any other outcome. I guess an England 0-0 draw here makes it a little easier.
    Yeah, "we" was "the States." :P Suppose I should be more clear about things like that.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    That was a clusterfuck.

Aegis on
    Characters
    edited June 2010
    VeritasVR wrote: »

Right, but I was addressing the "realist" part of your question.

a5ehren on
    edited June 2010

Yeah, "we" was "the States." :P Suppose I should be more clear about things like that.

I figured that's who you meant, but it can be hard to tell sometimes in an international competition.

GnomeTank on
  • mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    2 Shots total for England?

Terrible.

mrt144 on
    edited June 2010
    Terry down?

Aegis on
    Characters
    edited June 2010
    I believe that if Algeria and England ties here, there's a way we (USA) can conveivably advance with a draw next Wednesday. Algeria wins, and we need a win. England wins, and we need to win 2-0 at least to guarantee passage.

Talka on
    edited June 2010
    Algeria are the superior side so far. The joys of supporting England.

The Fourth Estate on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    What the hell is with the top tier teams having such bad showings? The skill and athleticism differential hasn't diminished that much lately, has it?

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Honestly, this match is so disappointing.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
    edited June 2010
    VeritasVR wrote: »

Right, but I was addressing the "realist" part of your question.
    That was my question, but yeah. :) I gots it now.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Might as well use this one.

Rooney is so going to get a red this game.

Rationale for wanting a draw is England will be on 2 points, Slovenia on 4. An England Slovenia draw and US Algeria draw still gives the US chance, on goals scored. A win would put the US through no matter what.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
    edited June 2010
    Talka wrote: »
    I believe that if Algeria and England ties here, there's a way we (USA) can conveivably advance with a draw next Wednesday. Algeria wins, and we need a win. England wins, and we need to win 2-0 at least to guarantee passage.

If England wins, we're still in a "just beat Algeria" situation, provided England or Slavenia WINS, not draws. If England/Slavenia draw, we will need to have beat Algeria by 2.

GnomeTank on
    edited June 2010
    An England shot on goal!

Aegis on
    Characters
    edited June 2010
    Right now a 0-0 score isn't looking inconceivable.

Talka on
    edited June 2010
    Bwaha, he slipped.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Aegis wrote: »
    An England shot on goal!

We'll get that bird somehow!

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Wet BanditWet Bandit Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

If England wins, we're still in a "just beat Algeria" situation, provided England or Slavenia WINS, not draws. If England/Slavenia draw, we will need to have beat Algeria by 2.

Or beat Algeria by one but score one more goal against Algeria than Slovenia does against England, I think. So if we beat Algeria 1-0 and England/Slovenia finished 0-0, we'd move through. Same with 2-1 and a 1-1 draw.

Wet Bandit on
    edited June 2010
    Oh what a save.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    GrimReaper wrote: »
    Honestly, this match is so disappointing.

NO THIS IS THE BEST MATCH EVER YOU SHUT YOUR FILTHY MOUTH

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
    edited June 2010
    That was a close one there, Algeria. Rooney got pissed when he slipped.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Christ we are horrible tonight.

Boring game for a third party too.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

We call it Slovenia :x

Hoping for a draw here so our team has more of a chance.

Jutranjo on
  • ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Pacey match is pacey. I like.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
    edited June 2010
    Stop passing it to James. You are tempting fate.

The Fourth Estate on
  • Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    re: poor performance of teams: just do what everyone else is doing and blame it on the ball.

Mustachio Jones on
  • ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I honestly think Defoe instead of Heskey would suit England right now.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
    edited June 2010
    Amazing pass and a great strike.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    That was a close rocket shot

PantsB on
    11793-1.png