As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

american marble [chat]ament

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Organichu wrote: »
    I bought a soda maker for the bakery. If it works out I'll get an adapter and a tank to get around the stupid proprietary CO2 tank thread bullcrap. They sell their 20 oz CO2 tanks for $30, I can get a 5 lb. tank filled for $20.

this is how you spend your saturday afternoons, huh

lording your soda machine over me
    It's pretty cool. You fill the bottle with water and screw it into the machine, and it injects it with CO2. It was about $100 for the kit that came with a filled CO2 bottle, enough to make 60 litres of carbonated water. We're going to use flavored syrups and do Italian soda.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    The players have been complaining about the lightness of the ball, which they always do but they may actually have a point this time around since there seem to be more shots than usual going wildly high. The altitude the games are being played at is apparently also a factor.

There isn't a universal, official soccer tournament ball? Huh, I kinda figured their would be.

Each national Football association specifies a tournament ball, and FIFA specifies another for the World Cup, which can never be the same ball as that used by any nation, for obvious reasons.

japan on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Tarranon wrote: »
    So, I don't get it, are soccer balls just incredibly hard to aim or something? It seems like 90% of the shots at the goal, despite the goals large size, completely whiff it and about 50% of the passes don't even end up near their intended target.

I though these were supposed to be world class athletes?

I imagine a lot of it is nerves and stress

like how cops are trained in shooting all the time but will still go a whole clip without shooting someone when it comes to it

The players have been complaining about the lightness of the ball, which they always do but they may actually have a point this time around since there seem to be more shots than usual going wildly high. The altitude the games are being played at is apparently also a factor.

So what about the 2008 EC being played in the sisterfucking Alps? That's not a high altitude? :P

Aldo on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Aegis wrote: »
    Is there a rationale to the banning of Mac people or is it just PC-Mac elitism?

The rational is: "Hey, people different from us. Let's be jerks to them" and "If they are getting TF2 for Mac they are just getting the game so they must be noobs and I don't want to play with noobs"

Both are retarded.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Aldo wrote: »
    So, I don't get it, are soccer balls just incredibly hard to aim or something? It seems like 90% of the shots at the goal, despite the goals large size, completely whiff it and about 50% of the passes don't even end up near their intended target.

I imagine a lot of it is nerves and stress

like how cops are trained in shooting all the time but will still go a whole clip without shooting someone when it comes to it

So what about the 2008 EC being played in the sisterfucking Alps? That's not a high altitude? :P

I don't know, I'm just going on what Adidas have been saying.

japan on
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Feral wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    The whole "ban Mac players from TF2 servers" is, in fact, the dumbest fucking attitude I've ever seen in my life.

What? Are you cereal? People are actually doing this?

Yes.

That is retaaaaaaaaaarded.

Daxon: My favorite drug movies aren't explicitly drug movies. ;)

1998_the_big_lebowski_004.jpg

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    saying ME2's plot is worse seems almost unfair because it never really tried to have one.

Wait, ME2 doesn't have a plot...?

Er, I thought plot was kind of the point of the ME franchise?

Did you ever play 2(or 1 for that matter)? I do not want to spoil too much about what sort of beast it is if you haven't

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The whole "ban Mac players from TF2 servers" is, in fact, the dumbest fucking attitude I've ever seen in my life.

Yes.

1998_the_big_lebowski_004.jpg
    Whatever, that's a movie about home decorating.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I don't know, I'm just going on what Adidas have been saying.
    Silly Adidas. Should let the players stitch their own balls.

Aldo on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2010
    people are going to blame the new ball, but watch football long enough and you'll see it's common. it's like an nba player taking a three- let them stand still with no one in their face, and the good ones can knock them down at a rate well over 50%. but if they get harried and people are in their face, that percentage drops considerably. these players, alone on the pitch, can put it in any corner a good deal of the time. but on game day, they usually only have a split second to make their touch, and it's rarely on a stationary or slow rolling ball.

Sure, but watching other sports, basketball, hockey, etc, sure they are being harried but they are putting way more shots either on the goal, bouncing off the rim, etc. They don't necessarily go in but they are at least getting close. Half of the soccer shots I've seen miss the goal by a mile.

it's apples and oranges, really. you can't compare them straight across just because they have nets. even at high levels of play, many shots are off target- many more than air balls in basketball. it's just a particular challenge.

Organichu on
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Yes.

I'm fairly dense so I'm gonna have to double check with you. Are you implying movies you watch while high are your "drug" movies, but they are not about drugs?

Yeah, call me retarded or whatever but I really not good at subtlety.

Also ME2 has a plot, it's just more character-centric. To be fair though the entire last boss thing they had going on for them I understood nothing. Seriously just wuuuuuuut?

Daxon on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Doot doot doo.

Installing Exchange 2010.

I'm sorry.

Eh, I've done it enough times now that I have a feeling for the major pitfalls.

And I haven't gotten to the part where you assign the SSL certificate to services. That's the annoying shit. It's like... I have one fucking certificate for this one fucking server, but I have to explicitly tell Exchange to use that certificate for the 10 different things Exchange does? And it's all done through the command line? What the fuck, Microsoft?

MS and their ways are very strange. If I could ever get the Office UI team and the guys who do their installers in one place, I could save the world a lot of pain with a lot of explosives.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Did you ever play 2(or 1 for that matter)? I do not want to spoil too much about what sort of beast it is if you haven't

I've played 1 and the only thing that kept me playing it as long as I did (I did not beat it) was the plot. It certainly wasn't the gameplay. I don't mind having ME2 spoiled for me as I have no intentions to ever play the game.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Well, for one, they're aiming for the corners, so the keeper doesn't catch them

and it's not that easy to aim when you kick something

try

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    it's apples and oranges, really. you can't compare them straight across just because they have nets. even at high levels of play, many shots are off target- many more than air balls in basketball. it's just a particular challenge.

I guess my point is that it makes soccer boring as shit to watch and the flaws of the game seem to run as deep as the very rules and set up of the game itself.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I uh

I would mind having ME1 or ME2 spoiled for me. Oh and Drakensang, Dragonage, Fallout3 and Half Life ep.2...

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I bought a soda maker for the bakery. If it works out I'll get an adapter and a tank to get around the stupid proprietary CO2 tank thread bullcrap. They sell their 20 oz CO2 tanks for $30, I can get a 5 lb. tank filled for $20.

It's pretty cool. You fill the bottle with water and screw it into the machine, and it injects it with CO2. It was about $100 for the kit that came with a filled CO2 bottle, enough to make 60 litres of carbonated water. We're going to use flavored syrups and do Italian soda.

let's say you wanted to go for actual big brand sodas- like coke and such. do they require contracts or can you just buy them OTC at some beverage store?

Organichu on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    saying ME2's plot is worse seems almost unfair because it never really tried to have one.

Wait, ME2 doesn't have a plot...?

Er, I thought plot was kind of the point of the ME franchise?

It certainly has one, it's just more...um...non-linear than ME1.

Valve thought it'd be fun to give a free hat only to Mac players who logged in during the TF2 Mac debut free weekend.

This did not go over well.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

I guess my point is that it makes soccer boring as shit to watch and the flaws of the game seem to run as deep as the very rules and set up of the game itself.

True.

Rugby is a billion times better, seriously. Football is pretty fun to play with your friends though, and it's an easy game to get into cause it's kicking a bleeding round object.

Daxon on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Well, for one, they're aiming for the corners, so the keeper doesn't catch them

and it's not that easy to aim when you kick something

try

I used to play soccer as a little kid, I don't remember it being that hard (of course it was also way less competitive).

Also, me trying to kick something accurately doesn't mean anything, I'm not a professional athlete.

:P

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

To you, maybe.

japan on
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm Comic Sans, Asshole.
    BY MIKE LACHER

- - - -

Listen up. I know the shit you've been saying behind my back. You think I'm stupid. You think I'm immature. You think I'm a malformed, pathetic excuse for a font. Well think again, nerdhole, because I'm Comic Sans, and I'm the best thing to happen to typography since Johannes fucking Gutenberg.

You don't like that your coworker used me on that note about stealing her yogurt from the break room fridge? You don't like that I'm all over your sister-in-law's blog? You don't like that I'm on the sign for that new Thai place? You think I'm pedestrian and tacky? Guess the fuck what, Picasso. We don't all have seventy-three weights of stick-up-my-ass Helvetica sitting on our seventeen-inch MacBook Pros. Sorry the entire world can't all be done in stark Eurotrash Swiss type. Sorry some people like to have fun. Sorry I'm standing in the way of your minimalist Bauhaus-esque fascist snoozefest. Maybe sometime you should take off your black turtleneck, stop compulsively adjusting your Tumblr theme, and lighten the fuck up for once.

People love me. Why? Because I'm fun. I'm the life of the party. I bring levity to any situation. Need to soften the blow of a harsh message about restroom etiquette? SLAM. There I am. Need to spice up the directions to your graduation party? WHAM. There again. Need to convey your fun-loving, approachable nature on your business' website? SMACK. Like daffodils in motherfucking spring.

When people need to kick back, have fun, and party, I will be there, unlike your pathetic fonts. While Gotham is at the science fair, I'm banging the prom queen behind the woodshop. While Avenir is practicing the clarinet, I'm shredding "Reign In Blood" on my double-necked Stratocaster. While Univers is refilling his allergy prescriptions, I'm racing my tricked-out, nitrous-laden Honda Civic against Tokyo gangsters who'll kill me if I don't cross the finish line first. I am a sans serif Superman and my only kryptonite is pretentious buzzkills like you.

It doesn't even matter what you think. You know why, jagoff? Cause I'm famous. I am on every major operating system since Microsoft fucking Bob. I'm in your signs. I'm in your browsers. I'm in your instant messengers. I'm not just a font. I am a force of motherfucking nature and I will not rest until every uptight armchair typographer cock-hat like you is surrounded by my lovable, comic-book inspired, sans-serif badassery.

Enough of this bullshit. I'm gonna go get hammered with Papyrus.

http://www.mcsweeneys.net/links/monologues/

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    edited June 2010

To you, maybe.

Well, duh. :P

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Yes.

My favorite "drug movie" is The Salton Sea.

That movie is one of my top 10 favorite films.

edit: Heh and by drug movie I mean a movie that is drug-related.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Lawndart wrote: »

Valve thought it'd be fun to give a free hat only to Mac players who logged in during the TF2 Mac debut free weekend.

This did not go over well.

People were asking Cesca to log in to Steam with their details so they could have it too.

japan on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm watching an oddly fascinating documentary about middle-of-nowhere-Siberian truckers.

You don't really see that much Stalin nostalgia these days.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I don't even know why you'd want the Mac TF2 hat.

Earbuds? Really? It's like the lamest hat.

I figure people only want it so they can go "hahah look what I have that you don't neener"

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The narrative of ME2 is damn cohesive.
    Why don't you love me daddy?!

Leitner on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

let's say you wanted to go for actual big brand sodas- like coke and such. do they require contracts or can you just buy them OTC at some beverage store?
    You basically rent a machine. There are all different sizes. We had one (it had Coke, Diet Coke and Sprite) at a bed and breakfast I worked at, it used small CO2 cylinders and syrup packs that all fit into the machine. You press a button and it would dispense the right portion. I don't know how much it cost to rent though, but I'm guessing you could call any local distributor and find out.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010

right, it's something that a lot of people struggle with. the pitch is very large, and you're challenged almost immediately unless you're well rearwards of the mid circle, so games can go along very slowly- especially if a leading team manages a long streak of possession. you will have periods of frantic activity- rebounds off hand saves, rapid jabs at shots off the wood, etc.- but they're few and far between. you just grow to appreciate the other facets of the game- like a beautiful run from a through pass (which is super tricky because of offsides), and a guy with a phenomenal cross from the corner. it is a game that very, very much acknowledges the lead up to any shot on goal.

Organichu on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Friday Night Lights is a really great show.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I used to play soccer as a little kid, I don't remember it being that hard (of course it was also way less competitive).
    Yeah it gets kind of more complex once you grow up and play on a big field with 11 players and with offside in play.

Oh and when the kids grow up and start using physical contact.

Aldo on
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I don't even know why you'd want the Mac TF2 hat.

Earbuds? Really? It's like the lamest hat.

I figure people only want it so they can go "hahah look what I have that you don't neener"

The whole point of TF2 is to get shit that nobody else has.

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

I've played 1 and the only thing that kept me playing it as long as I did (I did not beat it) was the plot. It certainly wasn't the gameplay. I don't mind having ME2 spoiled for me as I have no intentions to ever play the game.

aw. Well, basically
    ME 2 is very much the second entry of a trilogy, with all of the strengths and weaknesses that that entails. The universe has already been established, and you're already familiar with the pressing threat. And rather than trying to move the plot forward very much, ME2 opts to take the more setting up approach with the third game; the absolute core of the game is your interaction with your crewmates and their concerns and motivations; the main plot is really just a vehicle for this interaction, along with some added exposition.

and I can see how this would bother some people; you get to the end of the game and realize you didn't really accomplish very much at all. but I cared about all of my crewmates a lot, and it's rare for a game to make me feel that connected. so I very much enjoyed what it tried to do and accomplished.

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The struggle of an uncanny valley-lookin' bitch with black hair to get fucked in half by some Shepard with all kinds of metal on him like some Darth Vader with braces.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    no game is necessarily hard to play

most games are hard to play well

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Leitner wrote: »
    The narrative of ME2 is damn cohesive.
    Why don't you love me daddy?!

Then you bang her.

Also
    Why does everyone hate me? *force choke*

Then you bang her.

Or
    Why do my people hate me?

Then yo- you get the picture.

I SENSE A PATTERN EMERGING.

Daxon on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I make goals all the time in FIFA on Xbox, some athletes these guys are!

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    right, it's something that a lot of people struggle with. the pitch is very large, and you're challenged almost immediately unless you're well rearwards of the mid circle, so games can go along very slowly- especially if a leading team manages a long streak of possession. you will have periods of frantic activity- rebounds off hand saves, rapid jabs at shots off the wood, etc.- but they're few and far between. you just grow to appreciate the other facets of the game- like a beautiful run from a through pass (which is super tricky because of offsides), and a guy with a phenomenal cross from the corner. it is a game that very, very much acknowledges the lead up to any shot on goal.

Yeah, it's just so anti-climactic to me. I don't mind a big lead up to a shot on the goal, I don't mind a team having to work really hard to get that opportunity. But when they do finally get all the hard work done to take the shot it goes sailing harmlessly off into the stands with the goalie shrugging his shoulders amusedly.

It's like someone talking about how much thought and effort they put into getting you a christmas gift and then when you open it it is a pair of socks.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    haha, whoooops

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
This discussion has been closed.