As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Globalization summer reading series

• ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    Confessions of an Economic Hit Man also has a sequel, titled A Game As Old As Empire, which is supposedly even better.

ege02 on
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2007
    I'm sorta okay with Discontents, but like, half the thing is about the IMF.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    I'll keep the brainstorming going until tommorrow evening. Then we'll vote on how many and which books to read, how fast to read them.

Shinto on
  • GorakGorak Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Elkamil wrote: »
    I'm sorta okay with Discontents, but like, half the thing is about the IMF.
    They are one of the largest players in globalisation. They're also responsible for a lot of the major cock-ups in globalisation - particularly in linking third world loans to accepting foreign investment and privatisation of infrastructure.

Gorak on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited April 2007
    Robert Reich's The Work of Nations is a bit long in the tooth (originally published in the early 90's) but still relevant. It's sort of pro-globalization but with a raft of progressive qualifiers. Eminently readable, too.

Then on the emphatically pro side we have David Saul Landes' The Wealth and Poverty of Nations, where he lays the blame for global poverty largely at the feet of cultural factors, in effect asking why developing country A is managing to improve its lot while country B isn't and answering that country B has values that are holding it back. It was...interesting. I disagreed with a lot of it but I'd rather have that than the popular method of trying to zero cultural factors out of economic discussion entirely.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Count me in.

and confessions of an EHM isnt completely anti. He certainly does not overlook many of the positive impacts it has had. It is a great book for learning how well we stacked the cards against third world nations though.

geckahn on
    edited May 2007
    I'm going to nominate one anti book.

Why They Don't Hate Us - Mark LeVine

Only because I want to read it.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited May 2007
    Shinto wrote: »
    Actually, my understanding is that Globalization and its Discontents is a serious work. The title is a pun on Henry Kissenger's foreign policy book Detante and its Discontents.
    Freud's Civilization and its Discontents.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited May 2007
    I'd be interested in this I think. I could stand to become better versed on this topic.

Not that, you know, it'll ever come in handy or anything, but I'll be positively scintillating at cocktail parties.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • PicardathonPicardathon Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'd like to join up with this, but I guess I'm not well read, having read only "The World is Flat"
    Still, sounds like fun.

Picardathon on
  • [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'd like to join up with this, but I guess I'm not well read, having read only "The World is Flat"
    Still, sounds like fun.

Psh. Several people here (like me) haven't read any of these books, or indeed anything at all on globalization.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
    edited May 2007
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Actually, my understanding is that Globalization and its Discontents is a serious work. The title is a pun on Henry Kissenger's foreign policy book Detante and its Discontents.

Grog McCaveman's The Wheel and its Discontents.

Shinto on
    edited May 2007

Freud got pretty much everything wrong about psychology, so I doubt a book by him on globalization is going to blow me away.

geckahn on
    edited May 2007
    geckahn wrote: »

Freud got pretty much everything wrong about psychology, so I doubt a book by him on globalization is going to blow me away.

I think Will was pointing out that Detante and its Discontents was not the earlist use of the title.

With a corollary that I'm ill educated and he's better than me.

But he's not. He's just a rocket scientist. I'm a rocket surgeon.

Shinto on
  • VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I will maybe read some of these on my roadtrip this summer. I will perhaps make a poor traveling companion. Oh well.

VishNub on
    edited May 2007

I think Will was pointing out that Detante and its Discontents was not the earlist use of the title.

With a corollary that I'm ill educated and he's better than me.

But he's not. He's just a rocket scientist. I'm a rocket surgeon.

That one went totally over my head.

geckahn on
  • ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007

How does psychology have anything to do with globalization?

ege02 on
  • Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Whoosh!

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
    edited May 2007
    ege02 wrote: »

Nothing. Freud being a moron has something to do with how shitty a book on globalization by him would be.

geckahn on
    edited May 2007
    Whoosh!

I'm laughing really hard.

Shinto on
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I vote discontent.

Or anything not by Friedman.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    ege02 wrote: »

Nothing. Freud being a moron has something to do with how shitty a book on globalization by him would be.

I dunno, I think a book on globalization by just about anyone not around in the last few decades of the 20th century would be terrible.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Guys, Freud's book is not about globalisation.

It's pretty interesting though - I don't remember much about it, but he tries his hand at a bit of political sociology.

I would go for the following:

In Defence of globalization - Jagdish Bhagwati
    Why Globalisation Works - Martin Wolf
    The Wealth and Poverty of Nations - David Saul Landes
    The Coming Anarchy - Robert Kaplan
    Globalisation and its Discontents - Joseph Stiglitz
    Making Globalisation Work - Joseph Stiglitz

Surprise, surprise, the Wychwood Library has none of these (or anything in the list, for that matter).

EDIT: actually, I can probably use the U of T library just fine - which will have anything here. Unless it's reserved.

EDIT the second: They charge $60 a year to use the library?! This is no way to treat an alumnus!

Andrew_Jay on
    edited May 2007
    I'd drop either Wolf's or Baghwati's book for Empires of Profit.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • SerpentSerpent Sometimes Vancouver, BC, sometimes Brisbane, QLDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Andrew_Jay wrote: »
    EDIT the second: They charge $60 a year to use the library?! This is no way to treat an alumnus!

Sucker.

I have a roommate who is still a student at UBC. i'm set ;)

Serpent on
    edited May 2007

Post your votes for what books to read now.

Example:

I vote for:
    The world is flat - Thomas Friedman
    Empires of Profit: Commerce, Conquest and Corporate Responsibility - Daniel Litvin
    The Box: How the Shipping Container Made the World Smaller and the World Economy Bigger - Marc Levinson
    Globalization and its discontents - Joseph Stiglitz
    Confessions of an economic hitman - John Perkins
    A Game As Old As Empire - John Perkins

Shinto on
  • Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I vote for:
    In Defense of Globalization - [SIZE=-1]Jagdish Bhagwati[/SIZE]
    Empires of Profit: Commerce, Conquest and Corporate Responsibility - Daniel Litvin
    The Box: How the Shipping Container Made the World Smaller and the World Economy Bigger - Marc Levinson
    A Game As Old As Empire - John Perkins

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I might want to be in on this. Sounds cool.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
    edited May 2007
    I vote for:
    In Defense of Globalization - Jagdish Bhagwati
    Why They Don't Hate Us - Mark LeVine

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
    edited May 2007
    I probably won't have time to read more than one pro and one con. The only author I'm familiar with in the list is Friedman, who's accessible but sophist.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • SerpentSerpent Sometimes Vancouver, BC, sometimes Brisbane, QLDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I was just talking to a friend about this, and she suggested that we try to read books about similiar topics/arguments but pro/con (as opposed to just pro/con globalization).

Is that possible with our list?

Serpent on
    edited May 2007
    I'm not sure I understand.

Do you mean read pro/con about various subsets issues of globalization?

Shinto on
    edited May 2007
    I vote for:

In defense of globalization - Jagdish Bhagwati
    Making globalization work - Joseph Stiglitz
    The Wealth and Poverty of Nations - David Saul Landes
    The Work of Nations - Robert Reich

Essentially, I want the back and forth between Stiglitz and Bhagwati, as I understand that their books were written in response to eachother. The others I chose seemed like the more serious works.

Shinto on
  • FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm not going to vote since I'm totally unfamiliar with all the authors except Friedman, and that only through his columns.

FunkyWaltDogg on
    edited May 2007
    I'll close the voting friday night, so no one needs to rush to any conclusions.

Shinto on
  • xanathosxanathos Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I would so up for this, I need to expand my view on globalization.

xanathos on
    "Our will requires an aim; it would sooner have the void for its purpose than be void of purpose" - Friedrich Nietzsche from The Genealogy of Morals, 1887.

"All memory of your existence will be wiped from reality. You will die, and no one will mourn." - Memnarch
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited May 2007
    This sounds awesome, but I probably won't be able to fully contribute. I have way too many projects on my plate right now, but I'll probably following along and pick up the books that sound most interesting to read at my leisure.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
    edited May 2007
    I can't imagine how people just reading whatever of the books they have time for would in any way screw this up for people who read everything. Just the opposite.

So I'd encourage whatever casual participation people have time for.

Shinto on
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'll vote for the books I own, so, both Stiglitz books, The World is Flat, and Confessions of an Economic Hitman.

And In Defense of Globalization, since I've been meaning to pick it up.

edit: Largely, I don't care...whatever I don't own that we decide on, I'll pick up, because honestly, I'd like to read pretty much every book we've mentioned eventually.

That, and I hate libraries and love buying books, so any excuse will do.

Vincent Grayson on
    edited May 2007
    I just checked, and on half.com you can get my entire list for $35.50 - but that doesn't include shipping. I imagine other people's lists might be even less expensive than that. And of course, at least some of these should be available or orderable at local and college libraries.

Shinto on