As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Forum Battle 2010 - quarterfinals, ho

• Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    SO GLAD i'm on a different end of the bracket than chico

whew

geez

Raneados on
  • Options
    TenTen Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    If I win this round (again, unlikely, though unfortunate as it is, GSM's lack of time will be in my favour) I'm up against Nogs and then, quite likely, Marcus or Chico. With 4 days per entry each. Goddamn.

I love forum battles.

Ten on
  • Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    natek wrote: »
    given the same amount of time, I think the animator will get more quality work done than the film guy

That's because getting everyone together to film is very challenging and often kills most of your time.

Editing isn't so bad if you've got the software and the patience.

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    the time crunch makes me insanely giddy

okay time to poo and back to work!

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    bsjezz wrote: »
    marcus stop TALKING LIKE THAT

you're only making me MORE NERVOUS

I'm really excited to read your story. Honestly, I'm quite prepared to vote for you.

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Raneados wrote: »
    the time crunch makes me insanely giddy

okay time to poo and back to work!

dude

you aint gotta work on it

just relax man

here

have some ice cream.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    NO WAY NOGS

I AM TAKING YOU DOWN

Raneados on
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    given the same amount of time, I think the animator will get more quality work done than the film guy

I was wondering what is the time/effort for you animators? I only know film & video.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    nateknatek unh unh Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    rane has being shitting out 5 minute videos each round

and last round it totaled almost 15 minutes

he is king of crunch

natek on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    OVER MY DEAD BODY YOU PALE FUCK

WHITER THAN MY KNUCKLES.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Zonugal wrote: »

I was wondering what is the time/effort for you animators? I only know film & video.

Last year I did animations and it totaled to being a similar amount of time as this years entries. But you can animate by yourself whenever you want, whereas you need to rely on other people to film.

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Last year I did animations and it totaled to being a similar amount of time as this years entries. But you can animate by yourself whenever you want, whereas you need to rely on other people to film.

I could see the pleasures in animation but I feel film always captures something more.

Zonugal on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

exactly

on film you have to rely on people, props, weather, physics, etc.

animation, literally anything is possible and it is doable completely by yourself in a closet

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Something different. I tend to look forward to video entries, but at the same time, some of the worst entries I've ever seen are horrible videos.

Plus you've got Berk and Chico who are just magical.

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    it also is terrible on the eyes and the hand and the butt

and then oh god I need to sketch this out before I do it or else it looks like crap and ugh I don't know how to draw this I need to look for references okay now I am done just got to put it together oh god windows movie maker quit freezing on me now lets add sound effects that I cannot find and have to create

natek on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I've said it before but Chico is like the Nikola Tesla of art.

Marcus you need to get Tim Curry in your next entry should you end up facing that blue devil.

Zonugal on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Marcus you need to get Tim Curry in your next entry should you end up facing that blue devil.

I was thinking of getting fireworks and rubber genitals.

Tim Curry would work too, I guess.

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
  • Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Dang it, Ten, I even had a song in place for this. But my stupid physical need for sleep fighting my absurd ambition on utterly pointless projects kept me from even reaching that point in the animation.

Ah well. Looking forward to it.

GSM on
    We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    seriously if i knew any celebrities i would be like

hey come here and help me win this internet competition

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I can't wait for next year as I'll be juggling finishing a philosophical thesis as well as graduating from my university probably during the 2nd round of this thing...

Zonugal on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Hey Zonugal, wanna see my entry? I really feel like showing it to someone.

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    MAHBOMDR, show me.

Also, next year I'll be going to my brother's wedding during the battles, which means I'll be sitting there in the church working on my entries on a laptop.

GSM on
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    OBJECTION

pre-match vote soliciting, your honour!

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Hey Zonugal, wanna see my entry? I really feel like showing it to someone.

YES!!!

Zonugal on
  • Options
    CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Natek's deal is probably the most work I've put into any movie I've done. It was about 3-4 hours for 30 seconds of movie in a four minute song. That includes drawing the frames, saving each as its own PNG so I could throw it in Windows Movie Maker, and timing it to the part of the song. I put probably a few days in for the storyboard so I knew what I was drawing. Then there's also some time for planning, and character design.

The time carried over for the second round video, albeit shorter since it was shorter overall. I did have to spend time editing the song, editing footage of myself, changing the song there. Blah blah blah.

The third one was the same amount of time except I only got about 30 seconds in before I changed it. Then over the course of the week spent a half an hour a day working on the song, reworking it, and throwing it away. Finding a new song. Drawing bits of BSJezz to animate like a puppet. Then saving a few images for the movie, and drawing and photographing my bits in that 5 hours timeframe.

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    are the next battles going up tonight?

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    If there was somehow a 24 hour extension, that'd be cool.

But given the material and my opposition, I'd probably still do poorly.

GSM on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Marcus you are a shining star.

Zonugal on
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Sane Tim Curry, or Rocky Horror Picture Show Tim Curry?

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    they are the same tim curry, random guy who I do not know anymore

natek on
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    they are the same tim curry, random guy who I do not know anymore

Name change thread may have been a mistake.

Now nobody knows who I am.

I mean, not a lot of people did before, but now less people do.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    are the next battles going up tonight?

very shortly

deep breaths

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    It is begun...

edit: oh wait, he's here now?

GSM on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    need to sleep

so much to do in the next 48 hours.

in fact, im not sure if i am going to even sleep tomorrow night.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
  • Options
    TenTen Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Oh fuck yes it's happening

Ten on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    i'm desperate to see ten and gsm but i gotta give them the dignity of sound

and listening to born to run on battle night has become stone-cold tradition

edit: p.s. in case anybody hasn't noticed yet the entirety of the old huntsman is little more than an advertisement for the best record EVER

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Nogs wrote: »

exactly

on film you have to rely on people, props, weather, physics, etc.

animation, literally anything is possible and it is doable completely by yourself in a closet

I don't think I could ever do video.

Working on my silly movie thingies allows me to be God in my own little universe.

I am all powerful and my only constraint is time.

ChicoBlue on
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Thing about Americans is that we have 6 or 7 distinct accents just within our own country. Most of us don't interact enough vocally on an international level to fill our brainspace with more than the primary ones.

Way late on this, but as a country England has a total area of somewhere between Louisiana and Mississippi. They have dozens, if not more, regional accents, in a much smaller space.

When a British person says they have a "southern" accent, it refers to very specific area, where as in the US it's a entire geographic region.

I think the only super-local accents in the US are probably the various accents of the northeast cities (i.e., New York, Boston, Pittsburgh, etc.) but as you get farther south and west, as with most things here, the accents get more general and spread out.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

What about Russian Tim Curry?
    russian_tim_curry.jpg

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    ASimPerson wrote: »

What about Russian Tim Curry?
    russian_tim_curry.jpg

Oh come on, he couldn't even tell the difference between a man who slipped on his tea, and a man who was choked to death!

[IMG][/img]
This discussion has been closed.