The holiday hangout will go online tomorrow! If there's anything in the regular subforums that you're going to want to access over the holidays, copy it now while it's still accessible.
Don't like the snow? You can make a bookmark with the following text instead of a url: javascript:snowStorm.toggleSnow(). Clicking it will toggle the snow on and off.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[DnD 4e PBP] God is dead. (Lorrum (un)Death March!)

hippofanthippofant Helping Mario save Peach.Registered User regular
edited December 2011 in Critical Failures
Portrait_of_Friedrich_Nietzsche.jpg

For as long as there have been gods, there have been crazies who insisted that the gods would soon die, leaving the world a barren desert wasteland ruled by anarchy and tyranny, where psionics is plentiful and magic corrupting, with giant sentient insects and cannibalistic halflings. These crazies would occasionally hatch elaborately convoluted schemes to bring about their apocalyptic prophecies, thus providing both employment and loot for enterprising adventurers, but otherwise nobody paid them any attention.

Then one day, the gods went silent.

While not yet a desert wasteland, the world certainly descended largely into anarchy and tyranny. And while halflings have not yet exhibited any sign of a deep and ravenous hunger for humanoid flesh, all sorts of foul and evil creature roam the wilderness, occasionally creating rudimentary civilizations that twinkle in the darkness before being consumed by the chaos once more. First mad cultists, then brutal dictators, then power-hungry dragons, demonic hordes, aberrant horrors, cold necromancers, wild spirits, devilish armies, and angelic crusades alike all swept across the world, again and again and again.

What mortal civilization remains from before The Quieting is here, the nation of Dalequan. Once a small duchy of the kingdom of Tassinor granted to the archmages who'd saved the kingdom from an aggressive neighbour centuries ago, only it alone, behind powerful destructive and warding magics, held firm against the undead that swarmed the nation. Locked for centuries in a perpetual war for survival, the citizens of Dalequan know not that now, at last, there will be perhaps a brief respite, an opportunity to push forth against the forces that threaten to erase it from existence, an opportunity for which you have been called to the Archmage's Citadel.

Intro stuff
Hi all! This is a new 4e PbP seeking 5 players, being run by a first-time PbP DM (me!). The plan is that you will fight shit. Whatever crazy ass evil shit I can think of to throw at you, vaguely connected together through a larger plot of having to fight crazy ass evil shit for whatever reason. Though I have briefly DMed IRL before, for ~10 sessions of 4e, and currently play in 1 IRL 4e game and 1 PbP 4e game, I have not DMed a PbP before, so I will be learning as I go along. Caveat emptor: I don't think I'm a very good DM and I am partially running this in an attempt to improve as a DM without losing any RL friends along the way, the other reason being that I'm in a PbP and people seem to want to play PbPs, so I am trying to pass it forward.

That being said, I plan to run this as a single-thread game, with OOC text in Slate Gray. I seem to tend to TPK a lot, because I enjoy mixing up my combat encounters and I inevitably find a combo that ruins a party - though to be fair, I also roll like a maniac and my party members weren't very good at surviving, doing things like forgetting their psychic resistance in an encounter where they're getting plastered with psychic damage. As such, I fully encourage min-max-ing, although I hardly require it.

Along the same lines, I am considering two alternative looting schemes because of loot issues in my RL game: 1) I dole out every package as gold, giving you the freedom to buy whatever you want, or 2) I hand out items like they're candy because everything you fight will have magical gear. Whoever gets in can decide on that together later.

I will expect that players take their turns within 24 hours, barring weekends and holidays, though I'd like more. I will usually post multiple times per day, though there will be days I will be AWOL for several hours, such as when I'm playing my RL game. Nevertheless, I spend too much time on these forums for you to worry about my abandoning the game... at least until September when school starts.

Game stuff

Type: DnD 4e, standard rules and such.

Setting: Points of Light, except fuck Pelor, I'm totally replacing him with Amaunator because Amaunator's awesome.

Submissions: However many you want, but don't submit multiple long boring submissions because I will fazzzzzzz...

Usable classes: Any official class you want. Divine classes will have to justify how they maintain their power. With the gods having gone silent, their active interference, including sustaining the divine powers of their followers, has ceased. However, divinely created places, objects, creatures etc, remain empowered. Alternatively, divine classes may receive their powers from alternate sources - in particular, angels do remain, being divinely created creatures, and some may be able to provide such power... or maybe you're an angel yourself. (Or however else you want to explain it.)

Usable races: Any official race you want. Fey races, Devas, Revenants, Giths, and Shadar-kai should not have recently visited their native planes, mostly because I have no firm idea yet as to what's happening on those planes. (Though if you can come up with something good that you can convince me to use, feel free.)

Additional: Keep in mind that if you still worship a god, you'd basically be the equivalent of a Byzantine.

Additional: Please post how much 4e experience you have, as a player and a DM, IRL or PbP or MapTools or whatever. Not sure how that'll factor into my decision making, but I'm sure it will.

Starting level: Level 1, 22-point buy, Versatile Expertise for free, any General background you want, level 1 magic item, level 2 magic item, 500 gp.

Sheets and Dice Rolling: Orokos, please.

Submission Deadline: Whenever I wake up on July 5th.

Start Date: ASAP.

Current Players
azael.pngadventfalls - Azael Behar, Human Cosmic Sorceress
iados.pngdeadonthestreet - Iados, Tiefling Telepathic Psion
calebz.pngironzerg - Caleb Steelshen, Human Tactical Warlord
lyssastarshardtok2jpg.pngKay - Lyssa, Half-Elf Hybrid Paladin/Warlock
fosphil.pngGrog - Fosphil Blackbark, Wilden shield Fighter

Companions
Spoiler:

For reference:
Spoiler:

hippofant on

• BrodyBrody SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Can we take Eberron feats? Like Mark of [stuff]

• hippofanthippofant Helping Mario save Peach. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Brody wrote: »
    Can we take Eberron feats? Like Mark of [stuff]

I'm inclined to say yes, but I will be verklempt when everybody shows up with a Mark of Healing or Mark of Storm.

• deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    How long ago did the gods disappear?

• smeejsmeej Registered User
    edited June 2010
    Working on a character from a wilden community that appeared when the gods and planes got all funky. They have an idea of what Melora and a god would be and started a cult/monestary on the strangely still holy land they were born from (I'm assuming some sort of divine being was killed and buried there and is acting like a sort of celestial fertilizer). They mostly keep to themselves, but occasionally skirmish with an encroaching town or a magician come to taint the land. While the rest of the world considers them backwards monsters, they may mistake themselves for angels.

They do, on occasion, send out disciples to gather news of the world and this time they have sent Midnorton, a Unity Avenger.
    Spoiler:

Gonna edit this into something readable later. Also working on a Deva Artificer who can't remember the life he led around the time the gods went away and is spending this life developing and learning philosophies that deal with this.

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
    edited June 2010
    Working on a half-elf warlock. Background and such after work.
    Spoiler:

• KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    One of the ideas I had bouncing around in my head was for a funky hybrid, but to make it work, a Pact Blade would help a lot. Unfortunately, they're level 3. Any chance we could barter the level 1 and 2 item for a single level 3? If not, I can just rework things, and go with weapon-and-implement until I can find one, but the background I had in mind involved getting the Pact Blade as part of it.

Thoughts?

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, any rough idea? Or is that what the last flavor text bit is talking about with centuries?

• mattakaslashmattakaslash Registered User
    edited June 2010
    Throwing my hat in the ring with Aldair, Elf Druid. As far as experience, I've been playing 4e in real life for over a year, DMing for about as long also. I've also recently begun playing a PbP over on Myth-Weavers, though I've been following various PbP games on here for a couple of months, so I'm pretty familiar with the format.

Background:
    Spoiler:

• ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Woot! I've been looking for a PbP game to join.

I've been playing 4th Edition, but our group meets very infrequently these days. I've never done a PbP, but would love the opportunity.

Looks like we should have the striker/controller roles filled up, so I'll work on stating out a defender for the group.

I'll play with some builds tonight, and post a full submission tomorrow.

Here's first stab at a character background. I like to play divine classes, so obviously this scenario presents a nice RP challenge. Let me know how this sounds as an outline for a Paladin. Obviously, there's a lot of detail missing, but if it looks good, we can fill in the details specific to the campaign. I'll get a second defender worked up as well in case the flavor just doesn't come out right for the campaign.

Caleb Steelsheen, Human Paladin
    Spoiler:

Proud member of Unrepentant Gaming! Pantless gaming at its finest.
    Check us out in Neverwinter.

• bratrbratr Registered User
    edited June 2010
    Will post a character soon. Can totally understand the too much time spent on thse boards.

edited June 2010
    smeej wrote: »
    Yeah, any rough idea? Or is that what the last flavor text bit is talking about with centuries?

It has been some 200 years since The Quieting. As such, some aged members of the longer-living races will have faint memories of a time with gods, but most mortals have lived their lives without.
    Kay wrote: »
    One of the ideas I had bouncing around in my head was for a funky hybrid, but to make it work, a Pact Blade would help a lot. Unfortunately, they're level 3. Any chance we could barter the level 1 and 2 item for a single level 3? If not, I can just rework things, and go with weapon-and-implement until I can find one, but the background I had in mind involved getting the Pact Blade as part of it.

Thoughts?

Well, if I let you do that, then soon everybody will want to do that! But sure, if your build's dependent on it, I don't mind.
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Woot! I've been looking for a PbP game to join.

I've been playing 4th Edition, but our group meets very infrequently these days. I've never done a PbP, but would love the opportunity.

Looks like we should have the striker/controller roles filled up, so I'll work on stating out a defender for the group.

I'll play with some builds tonight, and post a full submission tomorrow.

Here's first stab at a character background. I like to play divine classes, so obviously this scenario presents a nice RP challenge. Let me know how this sounds as an outline for a Paladin. Obviously, there's a lot of detail missing, but if it looks good, we can fill in the details specific to the campaign. I'll get a second defender worked up as well in case the flavor just doesn't come out right for the campaign.

Caleb Steelsheen, Human Paladin
    Spoiler:

When the gods disappeared, any avatars they may have had should have as well, since all active projections of divine power ceased. If instead it had been a vessel who had been imbued with divine power as like... a divine power battery or something, who got depleted over time, that'd work!

Also, you didn't specify which god, but I assume that will come later.

edited June 2010
    Does anyone have a clue as to where/why the gods left?

Also, what do the various planes look like. The Astral Sea, the Feywild. How fucked are they?

edited June 2010
    Brody wrote: »
    Does anyone have a clue as to where/why the gods left?

Also, what do the various planes look like. The Astral Sea, the Feywild. How fucked are they?

Well... *I* know where the gods have gone.

As for the other planes... well, I don't want to give away the whole thing, but suffice it to say that they are fucked. If you're planning on coming from one of these planes, PM me and I'll provide more info on that specific plane for your particular situation.

• Abysmal LynxAbysmal Lynx Registered User
    edited June 2010
    Okay, here's my character. Sorry it's not in the format you asked for, but I've never been able to get the official character builder to install right.

Character Sheet:
    Spoiler:

Background:
    Spoiler:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2010
    Will be positng a Halfling Rogue since every adventure needs one.

• AlphaboomerangAlphaboomerang Registered User
    edited June 2010
    Figured I'd submit a cleric because all the gods are dead. Gotta get 'em back SOMEHOW, yeah?
    Paldus Gromm, Human Cleric!

Background:
    Spoiler:

I hope that works for an explanation of why he has the power. A combination of whatever this holy symbol is doing and sheer force of will.

Edit: Oh, and I have pretty good 4e experience IRL, but I've never been in a PbP, although I've been lurking for a bit and I'm pretty sure I know what's what.

Second Edit:
    Appearance:
    Spoiler:
    If you've played HOMM5's expansions, its the zealot dude from the Evil upgrades (as i think of them) to the Castle units.

edited June 2010
    So far, 4/8 characters have powers of Divine origin. This should be interesting. :D

(I was going with a hybrid Paladin/Warlock for one submission, and probably a pure striker or controller as another.)

ew9y0DD.png
    edited June 2010
    Hippofant, thanks for the replies. I'm more than happy to adjust the story. Instead of a fading Archon, we'll say the fortress housed the last mighty relic of the god, and over the last 200 years, the order has been slowing draining the remaining holy energy to maintain their powers.

Their last act of desperation was to completely drain the remaining energy and imbue it directly into Caleb, and send him out on his divine mission to reconnect with the gods.

And I intentionally left the details blank. If you have a preference for the god (or gods), let me know. I'm somewhat ambivalent, so if you have someone in mind, please let me know.

Also, I'll roll up a non-divine defender to possibly mix things up a bit. If the whole point is "the gods are dead", it might be cool to have some one who's more of a "ha, I told you so...divine powers my ass" in the group.

And Abysmal Lynx, I assume you're going more of a striker roll with you Fighter?

edited June 2010
    My primary submission. Let's scrap the paladin.

Let me introduce Gregor Stoneheart, Goliath Warden.
    Spoiler:

• licwidcakelicwidcake Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I will make a character for this when I get home from work.

• RiusRius Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Hmm... I'm playing in two games right now, and starting at 1st level is so dreary, but the background of this campaign sounds interesting. Are you making inside jokes in reference to Dark Sun? I don't know that setting very well but it certainly seems possible to me =)

• WoogityWoogity Registered User
    edited June 2010
    very interesting ill start roughing something out when i get the cb installed on my new comp. probably going to be a hybrid defender fighter/ rune-priest, and a barbarian, because people on these forums seem to never play the strongest melee class in the game :)

o also are the gold/ mythril dragons still around?

Spoiler:

the game assassino_O
    edited June 2010

Background
    Spoiler:

Personality and Appearance
    Spoiler:

Notes
    Spoiler:

I've got more than a little 4E experience under my belt - I've played in a few one-shots over Maptools and around a table with friends, and I'm currently playing a Maptools campaign with a few friends. I'm preparing to take over the GM role for a few weeks to allow the GM to play, and I'm also planning another short one-shot game to give some other friends a taste of the system.

I play in two PBP games on the forums (noted in my signature), so if you're agonising between choosing one of my characters or that of a person who's not in any games, picking them is the only fair option. I'll link to the sheet and find some images when I'm not at work, and I hope the app's not too long or in any way boring for you to read, hippofant!

ew9y0DD.png
  • robp85robp85 Registered User
    edited June 2010
    Whoo-hoo! Color me interested. I've been looking for a chance to play a monk. I'll have to throw in that submission and possibly another.

Skard, Shifter Warden
    Basic Attack +26 vs AC -- Damage 1d10+19 (+5 if enemy is prone) (+2 if Longtooth Shifting is active)
    edited June 2010
    Damn you, Rob, Monk was my first thought in a world without Gods =)

I'll keep thinking; at some point I'll come up with something sufficiently out-of-the-box.

• robp85robp85 Registered User
    edited June 2010
    LOL! You're welcome to submit one, Rius. I'm sure you're creative mind will come up with something cooler than mine but I'm cool with some competition :P

Honestly, I was thinking of submitting a warlord as well. It wouldn't be as awesome as the one you're playing but it would be cool to try out.

Skard, Shifter Warden
    Basic Attack +26 vs AC -- Damage 1d10+19 (+5 if enemy is prone) (+2 if Longtooth Shifting is active)
    edited June 2010
    Nice thing about Warlords is there's so many different kinds. In my mind, Tactical is kind of top of the pile, but a dedicated Bravura would be nearly as insane.

• AegisAegis Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Woo, another campaign. I don't know why but this campaign made me want to make an Eilistraeen-themed character:

Zarryna Myate, Drow Swordmage (Aegis of Assault)
    Dusk Haunted Shadow, Honoured of the Way
    Spoiler:

Background:
    Spoiler:

Personality:
    Spoiler:

Currently DM Vale of Buried Shadows on this board and am playing in one Maptools game (that starts today).

Currently DMing: None right now! :(
    Characters
    [5e] Myriil Amarthen - AC 17 | HP 14 | Melee +6/1d6+4 | Spell +5/DC 13
    edited June 2010
    Quick question. We start with a level 1 and level 2 magic item, plus 500g, correct?

Could we use that 500g to buy another magic item if we so choose, or do you want to keep us to 2 magic items to start?

edited June 2010
    Quick question. We start with a level 1 and level 2 magic item, plus 500g, correct?

Could we use that 500g to buy another magic item if we so choose, or do you want to keep us to 2 magic items to start?

Yes.
    Rius wrote: »
    Hmm... I'm playing in two games right now, and starting at 1st level is so dreary, but the background of this campaign sounds interesting. Are you making inside jokes in reference to Dark Sun? I don't know that setting very well but it certainly seems possible to me =)

I am full of snark, so there may be strange references to all sorts of things here and there.

Also - a campaign where the gods are absent... and everybody suddenly wants to worship them. What a bunch of hipsters you all are.

• Abysmal LynxAbysmal Lynx Registered User
    edited June 2010
    And Abysmal Lynx, I assume you're going more of a striker roll with you Fighter?

Maybe a little. Actually the reason I'm going with a battlevigor fighter is I like axes and I want to load up on breath weapon feats, so I thought I would make the most of it and load up on Con. Before I do that I'll probably get a feat our two to make me able to hold the line so to speak.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2010
    hippofant wrote: »
    Also - a campaign where the gods are absent... and everybody suddenly wants to worship them. What a bunch of hipsters you all are.
    PCs like to be special! Also, it's probably because there is so much focus on the gods being absent and we're interested in exploring this.

I'll submit my atheist deva soon. :?

edited June 2010
    Yeah, everyone jumping on the 'let's worship the gods!' thing makes my concept that little bit less unique, I guess.

Then again, she's not worshipping gods. She just thinks she is. I'll put together at least one more application for a full Striker, I think. Possibly a Controller. With no divine links at all!

ew9y0DD.png
    edited June 2010
    Well my guys created a ramshackle idea of Melora and feed off the decaying divine power of a dead angel-thing. But yeah I'm probably going to pull that submission out.

edited June 2010
    Finnan, Halfing Rogue
    Spoiler:

Background
    Spoiler:

Personality
    Spoiler:

Experiance: 1 Real-life game (about 3 sessions before it broke off), A one-shot PbP, and I am currently in a zombie apocalypse game on these boards, not DnD 4e. But I do have a bit of RP experiance from Surreal Twilight.

edited June 2010
    Well, I've just been knocking this character around in my head for a long time, and this presented a chance to play him. If Psionic power had disappeared instead of Divine I would have subb'd this guy anyway.

edited June 2010
    Second Submission.

Let me introduce the new and improved Caleb Steelsheen, Human Tactical Warlord.
    Spoiler:

• CyrosCyros Registered User
    edited June 2010
    Hello, new guy here!

Experience Level: I've played a few sessions with my friends, but it lacked any consistency (4 hours away at college). None of us are really great at rules, but we usually have a fun time. So I'm basically looking for extra avenues of play to improve my abilities.

Now presenting:

Diel Elisaad, the Stormborn Half-Elf Storm Sorceror
    (using an out of date character builder and unsure how to add the free variable expertise)

Background
    Spoiler:

Appearance
    Spoiler:

Personality
    Spoiler:

• adventfallsadventfalls Why would you wish to know? Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Azael Behar, Human Cosmic Sorceress

Background:
    Spoiler:

Appearance:
    Spoiler:

Personality:
    Spoiler:

I am currently playing in a MapTools game and a PbP (Curse of the Crimson Throne).

NintendoID: AdventFalls 3DS Code: 3454-0237-6080
    edited June 2010
    Well, okay, if you want us to differentiate, here's one who doesn't give a goose about gods.

Balayel Hal'Turath, Tiefling Swordmage.

Background:
    Spoiler:

Personality:
    Spoiler:

Appearance:
    Spoiler: