As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MDK2 coming to Wii and an HD remake to PC! Get your toasters ready!

mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Games and Technology
I know this is a very lacking OP, and I promise to correct that when I get a few free moments. But:

MDK2, one of the best Dreamcast games of ALL TIME, is coming to Wii and PC!

Full Destructoid Article!

More specifically, it's coming to WiiWARE.
The Wii release will be a download only and should be landing some time before the end of the year. No word on if it is the Dreamcast or PS2 version of the game. The PC release, which is also download only through Beamdog's digital distribution program, doesn't have a release window yet, but it will be an HD version of the game called MDK2 HD.

MDK2 is the proudest accomplishment in video games I have. And I've never beaten it. Ive just gotten to level 9 or something.

It was (and may still be) up there with Ninja Gaiden as the HARDEST game I've ever played. In a nutshell (again, I'll flesh this out later), you rotated through 3 totally awesome charecters - the insanely cool sniping/ribbon suit wearing janitor Kurt, the six armed, six weapon at a time, cigar smoking dog android Max, or the loveable crazy mad scientist Doc. And you shoot at awesome and hilarious space aliens.

And the soundtrack is honestly my favorite video game soundtrack of all time.

If this thing has Wii pointer controls for Kurt's levels, its going to be EASIER, but SO AWESOME.

I still have it for the Dreamcast too. I may have to get home and boot this sucker up...

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
mxmarks on

• -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    MDK 2 has been on PC for almost 10 years, you can buy it on steam right now for $5 and have been able to for some time. Might want to add a "remake" to the title somewhere.

-SPI- on
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    -SPI- wrote: »
    MDK 2 has been on PC for almost 10 years, you can buy it on steam right now for $5 and have been able to for some time. Might want to add a "remake" to the title somewhere.

Fixed. Thanks!

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I love this series. Incredibly unique and hilarious. Also gliding was the shit in MDK1.

Big Classy on
  • Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'll be honest--I don't know what you're talking about difficulty-wise--unless you were playing it on Insane. That's rough, but on PC, with quick-saves (yes, it was released on PC before) it's much easier. You should definitely take the time to go back and finish this one up. I agree that this is one of the best, most underrated games out there. Also, the soundtrack is gold. Wish I could find it somewhere.

One of my favorite moments:
    When you're playing as the Doctor and events lead to you accidentally blowing open the airlock, which begins sucking you toward space. Then you have about twenty seconds to figure out how to combine some of the items in your inventory to make him space worthy. I think it's a fishbowl, plus duct tape, plus magnets that he puts on his feet did the trick. God I love this game--flaws and all.

The dialogue in this game is so fricking witty, too. Subtlety... something not often found in the writing of modern video games.

"Computer: Minecrawler detected in zone 8675309"
    "Doctor: Good gravy, that's Edmonton!"

or

--Communications get jammed between the Doctor and Kurt--
    "Max: Doc, we're not gettin' thru to him!"
    "Doc: Nonsense, my dear boy... Kurt has always been quite reasonable!"

Any word on how this new PC version is going to be different from the last one?

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I just realised I never actually played the second D:
    I'm a go fix that!

ALso, the grunts were fantastic. There is one part in the first game were they start dancing.

Big Classy on
  • TalkcTalkc Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I love this game. It was one of my first PC games post Tribes.

The humor in it was brilliant.

Talkc on
  • SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I remember playin' the shit out of the demo for this, was pretty awesome.

EDIT: And oh man, Steam has the both of 'em for five bucks each, seven-fifty if you get the combo pack. Oh, the temptation.

Sorenson on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Bring back Sacrifice!

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • WingoWingo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Man, this game

When I first played through it, I remember almost being frightened out of my mind by the sheer size of the surroundings.

(Yes, I never play space flight simulators. How'd you guess?)

Wingo on
    edited June 2010
    I'll be honest--I don't know what you're talking about difficulty-wise--unless you were playing it on Insane. That's rough, but on PC, with quick-saves (yes, it was released on PC before) it's much easier. You should definitely take the time to go back and finish this one up. I agree that this is one of the best, most underrated games out there. Also, the soundtrack is gold. Wish I could find it somewhere.

I never played it on PC, but a lot of places (websites, magazines back in the day, ect) have pegged it as the hardest Dreamcast game made - this was prior to Ikaruga though.

The 16 year old me totally agrees. I haven't tried it since then though, but I remember loving the shit out of it and bragging that I was way farther into it than any of my friends ever got.

mxmarks on
    edited June 2010
    There is a basic dodge you work out for most enemies that involves figure-eight-strafing and jumps that tends to deal with most incoming projectiles, even the homing ones from those fat jerks with the staff.

Once you've got that down, it just becomes a matter of being smart about your plan of attack.

I always liked how the different characters had totally different approaches to levels. Max really is a powerhouse, Kurt is deadly at range and has useful items for dealing with different situations, and the Doctor forces you to think about how things can be combined to make other stuff.

Also: Atomic Toaster = win. Your various kinds of ammo consist of different types of bread. How is that not amazing?

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Awesome. I played the demo way back when on my Dreamcast and even though I loved it I never actually bought the game.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
    edited June 2010
    Wingo wrote: »
    Man, this game

When I first played through it, I remember almost being frightened out of my mind by the sheer size of the surroundings.

(Yes, I never play space flight simulators. How'd you guess?)

The third level with Kurt, where you ascend the giant tower via jet pack that looks like a nuclear power plant's venting silo-thing? Yeah, that was amazing. The music was tits there, too.

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
  • GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    SWEEEEEEET! I loved the hell out of this game; leave it to Bioware to out-Shiny Shiny with their own twisted take on their characters. Hopefully the controls will be a lot smoother this time around; I certainly wouldn't mind dropping the extra cash on this. The dialogue was hilarious, especially at the end of this vid:
    Hello Earth, who's your daddy?

Grimthwacker on
    edited June 2010
    The little exchange after it's determined Kurt is in trouble on an alien cruiser is great:

Max: "Doc, we've gotta get over there and help him!"

Doc: "No, you've got to go help him. Now go straddle a torpedo while I figure out how to aim! Haha, I love surplus!"

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
  • KazooKazoo Get in the van. I have candy.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Awesome. I loved MDK and MDK2. I'll get the PC version day one!

Kazoo on
    edited June 2010
    A giant UGH from me, as yet another game is apparently just TOO DIFFICULT for today's "I should win all the time with little challenge" audience:
    That fleshy slapping sound you just heard was the massive, simultaneous facepalm of cantankerous old gamers the world over. In an interview with Big Download, BioWare co-founder Trent Oster -- now head of IdeaSpark Labs, which is developing MDK 2 HD -- revealed that his company plans to do some "some tuning" to the notoriously difficult game.

Oster noted that he actually "snapped the Dreamcast controller, popping the VMU across the room" while playing the original game, concluding that "some tuning will be in our to-do list." On behalf of the curmudgeonly gamers with fond memories of MDK 2, we can only hope that the newly adjusted difficulty will be optional.

Source: http://www.joystiq.com/2010/06/29/ideaspark-tuning-difficulty-of-mdk2-hd/

mxmarks on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The original MDK has been unfairly forgotten. Can't we get both?

Xagarath on
  • MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I have this disk lying around somewhere. Never played the game. Are you guys saying that I've been missing out on something special all these years?

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • CatshadeCatshade Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I always hate Doc's levels for some reason, which is why I think MDK1 > MDK2.

Catshade on
  • NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I loved the shit out of this game. Yeah it was hard, BUT THAT'S LIFE. Can't wait to play it again.

NickTheNewbie on
    edited July 2010
    Xagarath wrote: »
    The original MDK has been unfairly forgotten. Can't we get both?

The first one was one of the more impressive games I remember playing on the PS1. The setting and sense of hugeness they conveyed on that archaic engine still impresses me to this day.

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png