As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DnD 4e PBP] God is dead. (Lorrum (un)Death March!)

hippofanthippofant ティンクRegistered User regular
edited December 2011 in Critical Failures
Portrait_of_Friedrich_Nietzsche.jpg

For as long as there have been gods, there have been crazies who insisted that the gods would soon die, leaving the world a barren desert wasteland ruled by anarchy and tyranny, where psionics is plentiful and magic corrupting, with giant sentient insects and cannibalistic halflings. These crazies would occasionally hatch elaborately convoluted schemes to bring about their apocalyptic prophecies, thus providing both employment and loot for enterprising adventurers, but otherwise nobody paid them any attention.

Then one day, the gods went silent.

While not yet a desert wasteland, the world certainly descended largely into anarchy and tyranny. And while halflings have not yet exhibited any sign of a deep and ravenous hunger for humanoid flesh, all sorts of foul and evil creature roam the wilderness, occasionally creating rudimentary civilizations that twinkle in the darkness before being consumed by the chaos once more. First mad cultists, then brutal dictators, then power-hungry dragons, demonic hordes, aberrant horrors, cold necromancers, wild spirits, devilish armies, and angelic crusades alike all swept across the world, again and again and again.

What mortal civilization remains from before The Quieting is here, the nation of Dalequan. Once a small duchy of the kingdom of Tassinor granted to the archmages who'd saved the kingdom from an aggressive neighbour centuries ago, only it alone, behind powerful destructive and warding magics, held firm against the undead that swarmed the nation. Locked for centuries in a perpetual war for survival, the citizens of Dalequan know not that now, at last, there will be perhaps a brief respite, an opportunity to push forth against the forces that threaten to erase it from existence, an opportunity for which you have been called to the Archmage's Citadel.

Intro stuff
Hi all! This is a new 4e PbP seeking 5 players, being run by a first-time PbP DM (me!). The plan is that you will fight shit. Whatever crazy ass evil shit I can think of to throw at you, vaguely connected together through a larger plot of having to fight crazy ass evil shit for whatever reason. Though I have briefly DMed IRL before, for ~10 sessions of 4e, and currently play in 1 IRL 4e game and 1 PbP 4e game, I have not DMed a PbP before, so I will be learning as I go along. Caveat emptor: I don't think I'm a very good DM and I am partially running this in an attempt to improve as a DM without losing any RL friends along the way, the other reason being that I'm in a PbP and people seem to want to play PbPs, so I am trying to pass it forward.

That being said, I plan to run this as a single-thread game, with OOC text in Slate Gray. I seem to tend to TPK a lot, because I enjoy mixing up my combat encounters and I inevitably find a combo that ruins a party - though to be fair, I also roll like a maniac and my party members weren't very good at surviving, doing things like forgetting their psychic resistance in an encounter where they're getting plastered with psychic damage. As such, I fully encourage min-max-ing, although I hardly require it.

Along the same lines, I am considering two alternative looting schemes because of loot issues in my RL game: 1) I dole out every package as gold, giving you the freedom to buy whatever you want, or 2) I hand out items like they're candy because everything you fight will have magical gear. Whoever gets in can decide on that together later.

I will expect that players take their turns within 24 hours, barring weekends and holidays, though I'd like more. I will usually post multiple times per day, though there will be days I will be AWOL for several hours, such as when I'm playing my RL game. Nevertheless, I spend too much time on these forums for you to worry about my abandoning the game... at least until September when school starts.

Game stuff

Type: DnD 4e, standard rules and such.

Setting: Points of Light, except fuck Pelor, I'm totally replacing him with Amaunator because Amaunator's awesome.

Submissions: However many you want, but don't submit multiple long boring submissions because I will fazzzzzzz...

Usable classes: Any official class you want. Divine classes will have to justify how they maintain their power. With the gods having gone silent, their active interference, including sustaining the divine powers of their followers, has ceased. However, divinely created places, objects, creatures etc, remain empowered. Alternatively, divine classes may receive their powers from alternate sources - in particular, angels do remain, being divinely created creatures, and some may be able to provide such power... or maybe you're an angel yourself. (Or however else you want to explain it.)

Usable races: Any official race you want. Fey races, Devas, Revenants, Giths, and Shadar-kai should not have recently visited their native planes, mostly because I have no firm idea yet as to what's happening on those planes. (Though if you can come up with something good that you can convince me to use, feel free.)

Additional: Keep in mind that if you still worship a god, you'd basically be the equivalent of a Byzantine.

Additional: Please post how much 4e experience you have, as a player and a DM, IRL or PbP or MapTools or whatever. Not sure how that'll factor into my decision making, but I'm sure it will.

Starting level: Level 1, 22-point buy, Versatile Expertise for free, any General background you want, level 1 magic item, level 2 magic item, 500 gp.

Sheets and Dice Rolling: Orokos, please.

Submission Deadline: Whenever I wake up on July 5th.

Start Date: ASAP.

Current Players
azael.pngadventfalls - Azael Behar, Human Cosmic Sorceress
iados.pngdeadonthestreet - Iados, Tiefling Telepathic Psion
calebz.pngironzerg - Caleb Steelshen, Human Tactical Warlord
lyssastarshardtok2jpg.pngKay - Lyssa, Half-Elf Hybrid Paladin/Warlock
fosphil.pngGrog - Fosphil Blackbark, Wilden shield Fighter

Companions
companionsi.jpg

1. Azael + Human Pikeman
2. Lyssa + Gnome Alchemist
3. Caleb + Human Bandit
4. Fosphil? + Wilden Hunter
5. Iados + Human Guard

For reference:
Caleb's Bravura Presence:

When an ally who can see [Caleb] spends an action point to take an extra action and uses the action to make an attack, the ally can choose to take advantage of this feature before the attack roll. If the ally chooses to do so and the attack hits, the ally can either make a basic attack or take a move action after the attack as a free action. If the attack misses, the ally grants combat advantage to all enemies until the end of his or her next turn.

hippofant on

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Can we take Eberron feats? Like Mark of [stuff]

Brody on
    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Brody wrote: »
    Can we take Eberron feats? Like Mark of [stuff]

I'm inclined to say yes, but I will be verklempt when everybody shows up with a Mark of Healing or Mark of Storm.

hippofant on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    How long ago did the gods disappear?

deadonthestreet on
  • smeejsmeej Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Working on a character from a wilden community that appeared when the gods and planes got all funky. They have an idea of what Melora and a god would be and started a cult/monestary on the strangely still holy land they were born from (I'm assuming some sort of divine being was killed and buried there and is acting like a sort of celestial fertilizer). They mostly keep to themselves, but occasionally skirmish with an encroaching town or a magician come to taint the land. While the rest of the world considers them backwards monsters, they may mistake themselves for angels.

They do, on occasion, send out disciples to gather news of the world and this time they have sent Midnorton, a Unity Avenger.
    ====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
    level 1
    Wilden, Avenger
    Build: Commanding Avenger
    Avenger's Censure: Censure of Unity
    Versatile Expertise: Versatile Expertise (Heavy Blade)
    Versatile Expertise: Versatile Expertise (Holy Symbol)
    Hardy Form: Hardy Form Fortitude
    Background: Monastic (Melora) (+2 to Perception)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    Str 10, Con 13, Dex 10, Int 14, Wis 20, Cha 8.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    Str 10, Con 11, Dex 10, Int 14, Wis 18, Cha 8.

AC: 17 Fort: 14 Reflex: 14 Will: 17
    HP: 27 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 6

TRAINED SKILLS
    Religion +7, Stealth +7, Heal +10, Perception +12

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Acrobatics, Arcana +2, Bluff -1, Diplomacy -1, Dungeoneering +5, Endurance +1, History +2, Insight +5, Intimidate -1, Nature +7, Streetwise -1, Thievery, Athletics

FEATS
    Feat User Choice: Versatile Expertise
    Level 1: Unarmored Agility

POWERS
    Avenger at-will 1: Overwhelming Strike
    Avenger at-will 1: Bond of Censure
    Avenger encounter 1: Day's First Light
    Avenger daily 1: Aspect of Might

ITEMS
    Vicious Greatsword +1, Amulet of Protection +1, Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing), Magic Holy Symbol +1
    ====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Gonna edit this into something readable later. Also working on a Deva Artificer who can't remember the life he led around the time the gods went away and is spending this life developing and learning philosophies that deal with this.

smeej on
    IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
    edited June 2010
    Working on a half-elf warlock. Background and such after work.
    ====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
    Brennos, level 1
    Half-Elf, Warlock
    Eldritch Pact: Fey Pact
    Eldritch Blast: Eldritch Blast Charisma
    Background: Occupation - Criminal (Stealth class skill)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    Str 8, Con 14, Dex 13, Int 15, Wis 11, Cha 18.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    Str 8, Con 12, Dex 13, Int 15, Wis 11, Cha 16.

AC: 15 Fort: 12 Reflex: 13 Will: 15
    HP: 26 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 6

TRAINED SKILLS
    Insight +7, Intimidate +9, Stealth +6, Bluff +9

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Acrobatics +1, Arcana +2, Diplomacy +6, Dungeoneering, Endurance +2, Heal, History +2, Nature, Perception, Religion +2, Streetwise +4, Thievery +1, Athletics -1

FEATS
    Feat User Choice: Implement Expertise (Rod)
    Level 1: Superior Implement Training (Accurate rod)

POWERS
    Dilettante: Acid Orb
    Eldritch Blast: Eldritch Blast
    Warlock encounter 1: Sprite War Call
    Warlock daily 1: Crown of Stars

ITEMS
    Adventurer's Kit, Accurate rod, Veteran's Leather Armor +1, Magic Accurate rod +1
    ====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Brody on
    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    One of the ideas I had bouncing around in my head was for a funky hybrid, but to make it work, a Pact Blade would help a lot. Unfortunately, they're level 3. Any chance we could barter the level 1 and 2 item for a single level 3? If not, I can just rework things, and go with weapon-and-implement until I can find one, but the background I had in mind involved getting the Pact Blade as part of it.

Thoughts?

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, any rough idea? Or is that what the last flavor text bit is talking about with centuries?

smeej on
  • mattakaslashmattakaslash Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Throwing my hat in the ring with Aldair, Elf Druid. As far as experience, I've been playing 4e in real life for over a year, DMing for about as long also. I've also recently begun playing a PbP over on Myth-Weavers, though I've been following various PbP games on here for a couple of months, so I'm pretty familiar with the format.

Background:
    Aldair was born in a secluded elf forest village (+2 Perception). Travel to and from this village was difficult because of the density of the trees in the forest, so rarely did anyone journey away from the village, and it was nearly unheard-of for any outsiders to visit.

Aldair's early life was fairly typical: getting married, having kids. Several years ago, however, Aldair's life was turned upside-down. No one knew how it started, but by the time the fire reached the village, it had spread through much of the forest. Before anyone could react, houses were aflame, with neighboring houses igniting ever faster. Aldair's home was among the first to catch, with him and his family inside. As they ran for the door, a beam fell among them, separating Aldair from his family. He tried valiantly to clear a path for them, but though he suffered burns on his hands and arms from trying to move flaming debris, he could not save them. He would have perished as well if not for others in the village who pulled him out of his house against his will.

Once safely out, those who saved him quickly moved on to try to save others. Aldair simply sat amidst the burning homes, numb to all feeling. After a time, he became aware of the heat of the fire again. Looking around, he could find no sign of any of the other elves. All he could see was fire in every direction. Realizing that he had to get out of there soon or be roasted alive, he began to run for the sparsest flames he could. The panicked cries of wildlife ahead of him fueled his movement; for there to be wildlife ahead, the fire must not have spread fully in that direction yet.

Soon, he was among the trees, racing to stay ahead of the flames that were jumping rapidly from one trunk to another. It seemed that the fire would win this contest, but suddenly Aldair found himself surging forward in a burst of speed. It wasn't until he burst free of the forest to safety and had a moment to rest that he realized he had been on all fours; he had turned into some kind of beast! After gingerly walking to a lake he could see about half a mile distant, he saw the reflection of a tiger on its surface. As he watched, the image shifted into his own visage.

Aldair spent months living off the land following this incident, and learning to harness this primal power that had awakened in him. After the initial shock and grief faded, he spent some time thinking about the forest fire, wondering how it could have started and spread so quickly. He returned to the ruins of the village and discovered minute telltale signs of magic in the charred stumps that remained of the surrounding woods. He could reach only one conclusion: the fire was set on purpose by someone trained in arcane arts. Aldair returned to the remains of his house and swore an oath to find the creature responsible and avenge his family's deaths.

At the next nearest settlement, he spent time begging and stealing until he had enough gold to equip himself for the journey he was to undertake.

mattakaslash on
  • ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Woot! I've been looking for a PbP game to join.

I've been playing 4th Edition, but our group meets very infrequently these days. I've never done a PbP, but would love the opportunity.

Looks like we should have the striker/controller roles filled up, so I'll work on stating out a defender for the group.

I'll play with some builds tonight, and post a full submission tomorrow.

Here's first stab at a character background. I like to play divine classes, so obviously this scenario presents a nice RP challenge. Let me know how this sounds as an outline for a Paladin. Obviously, there's a lot of detail missing, but if it looks good, we can fill in the details specific to the campaign. I'll get a second defender worked up as well in case the flavor just doesn't come out right for the campaign.

Caleb Steelsheen, Human Paladin
    The day the gods went silent was a blow to the holy order. Against the tides of darkness that welled up in the world, the holy order held fast. Ultimately, the fight against the hordes eventually drain all the remaining energy in the holy sites, relics and other remnants of the divine. The holy order pulled back to their final fortress, the last bastion of their gods once mighty power. Eventually, the hordes tired of throwing themselves against the gates, and the order was left to fade away in their godless darkness.

The members of the order held out hope against hope that the gods would return. Despite daily prayers and rituals, the remaining divine strength continued to seep from the walls and the warriors. As the years and centuries past, fewer members could muster even the most rudimentary powers. Whereas, before the Quieting, one member of the order could stand against legions of the undead, damned and restless evil. Now, even the "mightiest" of those left are but a glimmer of their former selves.

One day, the elders summoned Caleb Steelsheen, the last member of the order to even show a glimmer of the once glorious might. Descended from the proudest, most powerful holy warriors of the order, Caleb's power is still a mere fraction of even the most mundane deeds written in the annals of the order.

The elders lead Caleb down winding staircases and dark corridors, deep into the bowels of the fortress. After what seems like an eternity, the Elders stop in front of an ancient tomb. Upon opening the door, Caleb is bathed in a soft, silvery glow. Inside the tomb is a Archon of the gods, a once powerful avatar, the very essence of the gods power, embodied in a holy weapon of destruction. However, this Archon is withered and faded, having been disconnected from his god for far too long. The elders reveal this is the last, dieing essence of the gods power. The Archon motions weakly for Caleb to step forward. Without a word, a look of calm peace comes across the face of the Archon, and he touches his fingertips to the young paladin's forehead. The Archon slowly crumbles to a silvery powder.

The elders reveal their worst fears are being realized. The gods may not becoming back. Scouts sent out of the stronghold have yet to be heard from, and the thick stone walls are beginning to feel more like a tomb than a fortress. Instead of slowing fading into history, the Archon has given Caleb his last remaining divine power. Now, vested with the last earthly remnants of the holy power he must venture outside the walls of the fortress and find the gods, or what remains of them.

ironzerg on
  • bratrbratr Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Will post a character soon. Can totally understand the too much time spent on thse boards.

bratr on
    edited June 2010
    smeej wrote: »
    Yeah, any rough idea? Or is that what the last flavor text bit is talking about with centuries?

It has been some 200 years since The Quieting. As such, some aged members of the longer-living races will have faint memories of a time with gods, but most mortals have lived their lives without.
    Kay wrote: »
    One of the ideas I had bouncing around in my head was for a funky hybrid, but to make it work, a Pact Blade would help a lot. Unfortunately, they're level 3. Any chance we could barter the level 1 and 2 item for a single level 3? If not, I can just rework things, and go with weapon-and-implement until I can find one, but the background I had in mind involved getting the Pact Blade as part of it.

Thoughts?

Well, if I let you do that, then soon everybody will want to do that! But sure, if your build's dependent on it, I don't mind.
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Woot! I've been looking for a PbP game to join.

I've been playing 4th Edition, but our group meets very infrequently these days. I've never done a PbP, but would love the opportunity.

Looks like we should have the striker/controller roles filled up, so I'll work on stating out a defender for the group.

I'll play with some builds tonight, and post a full submission tomorrow.

Here's first stab at a character background. I like to play divine classes, so obviously this scenario presents a nice RP challenge. Let me know how this sounds as an outline for a Paladin. Obviously, there's a lot of detail missing, but if it looks good, we can fill in the details specific to the campaign. I'll get a second defender worked up as well in case the flavor just doesn't come out right for the campaign.

Caleb Steelsheen, Human Paladin
    The day the gods went silent was a blow to the holy order. Against the tides of darkness that welled up in the world, the holy order held fast. Ultimately, the fight against the hordes eventually drain all the remaining energy in the holy sites, relics and other remnants of the divine. The holy order pulled back to their final fortress, the last bastion of their gods once mighty power. Eventually, the hordes tired of throwing themselves against the gates, and the order was left to fade away in their godless darkness.

The members of the order held out hope against hope that the gods would return. Despite daily prayers and rituals, the remaining divine strength continued to seep from the walls and the warriors. As the years and centuries past, fewer members could muster even the most rudimentary powers. Whereas, before the Quieting, one member of the order could stand against legions of the undead, damned and restless evil. Now, even the "mightiest" of those left are but a glimmer of their former selves.

One day, the elders summoned Caleb Steelsheen, the last member of the order to even show a glimmer of the once glorious might. Descended from the proudest, most powerful holy warriors of the order, Caleb's power is still a mere fraction of even the most mundane deeds written in the annals of the order.

The elders lead Caleb down winding staircases and dark corridors, deep into the bowels of the fortress. After what seems like an eternity, the Elders stop in front of an ancient tomb. Upon opening the door, Caleb is bathed in a soft, silvery glow. Inside the tomb is a Archon of the gods, a once powerful avatar, the very essence of the gods power, embodied in a holy weapon of destruction. However, this Archon is withered and faded, having been disconnected from his god for far too long. The elders reveal this is the last, dieing essence of the gods power. The Archon motions weakly for Caleb to step forward. Without a word, a look of calm peace comes across the face of the Archon, and he touches his fingertips to the young paladin's forehead. The Archon slowly crumbles to a silvery powder.

The elders reveal their worst fears are being realized. The gods may not becoming back. Scouts sent out of the stronghold have yet to be heard from, and the thick stone walls are beginning to feel more like a tomb than a fortress. Instead of slowing fading into history, the Archon has given Caleb his last remaining divine power. Now, vested with the last earthly remnants of the holy power he must venture outside the walls of the fortress and find the gods, or what remains of them.

When the gods disappeared, any avatars they may have had should have as well, since all active projections of divine power ceased. If instead it had been a vessel who had been imbued with divine power as like... a divine power battery or something, who got depleted over time, that'd work!

Also, you didn't specify which god, but I assume that will come later.

hippofant on
    edited June 2010
    Does anyone have a clue as to where/why the gods left?

Also, what do the various planes look like. The Astral Sea, the Feywild. How fucked are they?

Brody on

edited June 2010
    Brody wrote: »
    Does anyone have a clue as to where/why the gods left?

Also, what do the various planes look like. The Astral Sea, the Feywild. How fucked are they?

Well... *I* know where the gods have gone.

As for the other planes... well, I don't want to give away the whole thing, but suffice it to say that they are fucked. If you're planning on coming from one of these planes, PM me and I'll provide more info on that specific plane for your particular situation.

hippofant on
  • Abysmal LynxAbysmal Lynx Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Okay, here's my character. Sorry it's not in the format you asked for, but I've never been able to get the official character builder to install right.

Character Sheet:
    Kravix Level 1 Dragonborn, Fighter
    Build: Battlevigor Fighter
    Combat Challenge
    Combat Superiority
    Background: Among Another Race (Kobold) +2 Stealth

Str 18 Con 16 Dex 11 Int 10 Wis 13 Cha 10

AC: 17 Fort: 16 Reflex: 10 Will: 11
    HP: 31 Surges: 120 Surge Value: 10

TRAINED SKILLS
    Athletics +8, Endurance +7, Intimidate +7
    UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Acrobatics -1, Arcana, Bluff, Diplomacy, Dungeoneering +1, Heal +1, History +2, Insight +1, Nature +1, Stealth +1, Streetwise, Thievery -1

FEATS
    Free Feat: Weapon Expertise (Axe)
    Level 1: Weapon Proficiency, Execution Axe

POWERS
    Fighter at-will 1: Brash Strike
    Fighter at-will 1: Crushing Surge
    Racial encounter: Dragon Breath (Electric)
    Fighter encounter 1: Hack and Hew
    Fighter daily 1: Driving Attack

ITEMS
    Bloodclaw Execution Axe +1, Magic Chainmail +1, Silk Rope, Pitons (10). Hammer, Crossbow Bolts (100), Trail Rations (10 Days), Holy Symbols (2) (Bahamut & Tiamat), Waterskin, Backpack, Tent, 337 GP.

Background:
    Kravix's real parents died when he was 3 in a rock-slide while traveling through the mountains. He spent almost two years in a feral state until his cave was discovered by kobolds. The kobolds decided to adopt him into their tribe. Kravix lived amongst the kobolds for over a decade where he helped out in the mines and fighting off other tribes of kobolds and the occasional other menace. Although Kravix has always been interested in other dragonborn, that was not his driving motivation for leaving his adopted family. The simple matter was he had gotten to big to comfortably live in the cramped warrens where he had spent most of his life.

The night before Kravix left home, his tribe elders presented him with his axe and armor. Both items had been scavenged by the tribe from a skirmish with a group of dwarves several decades ago, and Kravix had used them before in the in defense of the tribe because he was the only one who could use them, but until that moment, they had not actually belonged to him. Both these objects had been altered over the years. The chainmail had been adorned with pieces of a carapace harvested from a giant subterranean beetle, while the axe had been reworked into the shape of a dragon in flight.

Kravix is bulky, even for a dragonborn. His eyes are a yellowish green, while his scales are a brown-bronze color and kept in excellent condition with a kobold made scale oil. Kravix's posture is terrible from years of living in caves much to small for him. He has trouble standing up straight and often moves awkwardly on all fours. Because of his valued place in his tribe, Kravix sometimes looks down on others, even if he would never show it; he can even be naive about the outside world. Besides his axe and armor, Kravix's most valued possessions are his holy symbols. Although he is not very religious, the symbol of Bahamut is the only heirloom he has from his parents, while the symbol of Tiamat was a gift from his adopted family. Both are on him at all times and are usually worn around his neck.

Abysmal Lynx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2010
    Will be positng a Halfling Rogue since every adventure needs one.

bratr on
  • AlphaboomerangAlphaboomerang Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Figured I'd submit a cleric because all the gods are dead. Gotta get 'em back SOMEHOW, yeah?
    Paldus Gromm, Human Cleric!

Background:
    Paldus Gromm comes from a long line of zealots, and he proudly takes up his ancestral mantle, despite the fact that there hasn't been anything to be zealous ABOUT for over two centuries. Widely regarded as a family of nutjobs, the Gromm's secret to their passion lies within a small symbol of Amaunator, worn as a necklace. It is uncertain whether the symbol actually bestows divine powers to its bearer or whether it bestows properties with different origins but with identical effects. Paldus Gromm sees the destruction of all that is considered "unholy" his personal crusade, his cross to bear, if you will. He sees every ally fallen as a victory for the Unholy Team, and does his best to act as a sort of Heavenly Goalie (I don't even watch soccer much and the world cup is getting to me). As a zealot, he is utterly blind to things he doesn't want to see (such as proof the gods don't exist and are never coming back), and quick to turn any hardship into another reason to obliterate all that would challenge Amaunator's might.

I hope that works for an explanation of why he has the power. A combination of whatever this holy symbol is doing and sheer force of will.

Edit: Oh, and I have pretty good 4e experience IRL, but I've never been in a PbP, although I've been lurking for a bit and I'm pretty sure I know what's what.

Second Edit:
    Appearance:
    zealot.jpg
    If you've played HOMM5's expansions, its the zealot dude from the Evil upgrades (as i think of them) to the Castle units.

Alphaboomerang on
    edited June 2010
    So far, 4/8 characters have powers of Divine origin. This should be interesting. :D

(I was going with a hybrid Paladin/Warlock for one submission, and probably a pure striker or controller as another.)

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    edited June 2010
    Hippofant, thanks for the replies. I'm more than happy to adjust the story. Instead of a fading Archon, we'll say the fortress housed the last mighty relic of the god, and over the last 200 years, the order has been slowing draining the remaining holy energy to maintain their powers.

Their last act of desperation was to completely drain the remaining energy and imbue it directly into Caleb, and send him out on his divine mission to reconnect with the gods.

And I intentionally left the details blank. If you have a preference for the god (or gods), let me know. I'm somewhat ambivalent, so if you have someone in mind, please let me know.

Also, I'll roll up a non-divine defender to possibly mix things up a bit. If the whole point is "the gods are dead", it might be cool to have some one who's more of a "ha, I told you so...divine powers my ass" in the group.

And Abysmal Lynx, I assume you're going more of a striker roll with you Fighter?

ironzerg on
    edited June 2010
    My primary submission. Let's scrap the paladin.

Let me introduce Gregor Stoneheart, Goliath Warden.
    Gregor Stoneheart is a member of the Dalequan militia. Since the Quieting, his descendants have been guardsmen, charged with protecting the city and holding back the tides of darkness. Gregor worships no gods, nor has any Stoneheart. Gregor draws his strength from the primal powers of the earth, which shaped and molded his lineage into the walking behemoths they are today. Gregor has lost countless friends and family to the struggle over the years, but has never given up hope that one day the tides will be quenched forever. While as hard and gruff as his name suggests, deep down, Gregor has a good heart and will do everything he can to put himself between evil and the innocent.

"So, going on about these gods again? Son, the gods are dead. They've been dead, and they ain't comin' back. Forget about that ring you carry, that knucklebone of some forgotten saint. It's crap. The only thing we have to rely on these days is our own might. Our own strength. Forged from the very earth we stand on now. Look, stop mumbling. I've lost countless people to this fight. I've seen death. My grandfather died protecting this city. My mom, my dad. Both died shielding crybabies like you. My brother. Dead. Hell, even my puppy dog fell victim to these hordes.

Don't come lookin' to me for sympathy. I ain't got time to hear it. I got lives to protect."

ironzerg on
  • licwidcakelicwidcake Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I will make a character for this when I get home from work.

licwidcake on
  • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Hmm... I'm playing in two games right now, and starting at 1st level is so dreary, but the background of this campaign sounds interesting. Are you making inside jokes in reference to Dark Sun? I don't know that setting very well but it certainly seems possible to me =)

Rius on
  • WoogityWoogity Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    very interesting ill start roughing something out when i get the cb installed on my new comp. probably going to be a hybrid defender fighter/ rune-priest, and a barbarian, because people on these forums seem to never play the strongest melee class in the game :)

o also are the gold/ mythril dragons still around?

Woogity on
    Rad Anvilspit hp 23/29 surge value 7 surges 1/10 17:ac 16:fort 12: ref 13: will

Henry Teach, human cutthroat

the game assassino_O
    edited June 2010

Background
    Growing up as a half-elf is never easy, as Lyssa found out at an early age. Born to a human woman in a small village in the nation of Dalequan, Lyssa also learned that children can be so cruel. Constantly mocked for her mixed heritage, the young girl quickly developed a thick skin - both against words and stones - and the ability to talk her way out of most problems. Given her small stature, this talent proved invaluable.

As she reached adolescence, her elvish features gave her an otherworldly allure that the other girls in the village lacked, and she quickly went from social outcast, to the girl every boy wanted to marry. Her memory was long, however. She rejected the advances of every youth that approached her, while giving them just enough hope that she would eventually acquiese to their requests and proposals. She still did not fit in. Though the boys and young men constantly hounded her for her attention and affection, the females in the village quickly turned hostile, jealous of the half-elven ugly duckling and the beautiful swan she had finally become. Lyssa took to spending as little time as possible in the village, shirking her chores and duties, indulging her nature as a dreamer in an attempt to forget her problems and escape into a fantasy world where, well, things were better.

This mindset made her a perfect target for those strange, ominous things that dwell in the space between stars. The things that hover on the outskirts of reality, hoping to find a way to break through, a way to claim power from the naive and unsuspecting. One night, when she was far from the outskirts of the village, laying in a meadow by a stream, the stars spoke to Lyssa.

'You are the chosen one,' they told her.

Lyssa had read the old fairy tales, the legends, the stories about how, in times gone by, the Gods spoke to their mortal representatives, how these beings filled their chosen few with divine power, giving them the confidence and the ability to spread their word across the lands, gaining power with each believer they converted. She quickly decided that the Gods had returned, and were making her their chosen champion.

'But be cautious, our child,' the stars told her. 'There are those that would destroy you for bringing word of our return to the realms. You must do so secretly, giving the joy of our presence only to those that will truly believe.'

One day, they led her to a stone that fallen from the heavens. A stone that cracked as she approached, revealing a brilliant star-shaped jewel they told her was a newborn star, cast down from the heavens for her to use as a symbol of their power.

She took up sword, shield and armor, as she had read the ancient champions of the Gods had done in eons past, and vowed to bring the wonderful news of the Gods' return to those that would hear it. Of course, these days, few people have time for the charlatans proclaiming that the Gods speak through them. It quickly became apparent, however, that when she prayed to her Gods... they answered.

Personality and Appearance
    Lyssa is, by all accounts, beautiful. It's a mix of the classical beauty that humans occasionally enjoy, and the otherworldly, wild look of the elves. She is quite small in stature - barely five feet tall - and the long-sword she holds looks far larger because of her diminutive size. She has long dark hair that she keeps braided at the front, to avoid obscuring her view in combat, and equally dark eyes. Lyssa has high elven cheekbones and upswept ears that contrast with her full lips and strong jawline - a mix of human and elven features that work well together. When dressed for adventure, she wears shining plate armour and carries a large shield, both inscribed with runes and verses of her own scripture. She should have paid a lot of money for these, but the way she spoke of her mission, her word from the Gods, swayed the blacksmith and made him one of her first believers. Whether or not he's been sucked through a portal into the cold reaches of space so that his soul could be slowly digested by beings that we don't understand isn't clear. She's never been back to check up on him.
    lyssastarshard.jpglyssastarshard.png

Lyssa is, and always will be, a dreamer. It's one of the reasons that the Stars were able to get through to her. She is upbeat and positive most of the time, but not annoyingly so. It's a more subdued optimism rather than anything else. She is also prone to moments of 'religious ecstasy'. Whether this is due to the feelings of arcane power being channeled through her body from wherever, or a genuine case of hysteria based on her situation and beliefs isn't clear, but the tears of joy and faith that come with it are entirely genuine. She has a tendency to evangelise to those that she thinks will listen. And with her force of personality and talent for communication, more listen than not when she starts to tell people of her revelation - the Gods have returned!

Notes
    Though Lyssa is a hybrid Defender, she's not going to be doing a great deal of Defending - it's more of a flavour thing than anything else. She's more of a Striker with decent armour and a shield. After all, that's what the Champions of the Gods were like in all the fairy tales she ever read. The way I was hoping to play her would be to drop curses on things, mark as needed, then utilise Dire Radiance to give an enemy a rather sticky choice - approach Lyssa, upping the potential damage to 3d6+10 (woo striker) to either hit her or an ally (which would trigger the mark), or move away from her to avoid the Dire Radiance damage and hit something else, if at all possible. Basically, area denial unless they want to eat more damage. More strikery than defendery overall, though.

Also, sorted out the concept problem. Once I figured out that Holy Symbols don' t need to be wielded to be used, I went with an enchanted Astral Holy Symbol, as it's pretty central to the concept. She can't use the Superior bonuses until level 2, but until then it functions as a basic holy symbol.

I've got more than a little 4E experience under my belt - I've played in a few one-shots over Maptools and around a table with friends, and I'm currently playing a Maptools campaign with a few friends. I'm preparing to take over the GM role for a few weeks to allow the GM to play, and I'm also planning another short one-shot game to give some other friends a taste of the system.

I play in two PBP games on the forums (noted in my signature), so if you're agonising between choosing one of my characters or that of a person who's not in any games, picking them is the only fair option. I'll link to the sheet and find some images when I'm not at work, and I hope the app's not too long or in any way boring for you to read, hippofant!

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
  • robp85robp85 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Whoo-hoo! Color me interested. I've been looking for a chance to play a monk. I'll have to throw in that submission and possibly another.

robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden
    Basic Attack +26 vs AC -- Damage 1d10+19 (+5 if enemy is prone) (+2 if Longtooth Shifting is active)
    edited June 2010
    Damn you, Rob, Monk was my first thought in a world without Gods =)

I'll keep thinking; at some point I'll come up with something sufficiently out-of-the-box.

Rius on
  • robp85robp85 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    LOL! You're welcome to submit one, Rius. I'm sure you're creative mind will come up with something cooler than mine but I'm cool with some competition :P

Honestly, I was thinking of submitting a warlord as well. It wouldn't be as awesome as the one you're playing but it would be cool to try out.

robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden
    Basic Attack +26 vs AC -- Damage 1d10+19 (+5 if enemy is prone) (+2 if Longtooth Shifting is active)
    edited June 2010
    Nice thing about Warlords is there's so many different kinds. In my mind, Tactical is kind of top of the pile, but a dedicated Bravura would be nearly as insane.

Rius on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Woo, another campaign. I don't know why but this campaign made me want to make an Eilistraeen-themed character:

Zarryna Myate, Drow Swordmage (Aegis of Assault)
    Dusk Haunted Shadow, Honoured of the Way
    drowwarrior.jpg

Background:
    Her time was spent as many other children within this wilderness glade refuge: training. It was an odd thing to some, given her race's predilections but rumours have been passed for ages of a sect of outcast drow honing their martial prowess under the cover of naked moonlight, be it for redemption or simply preparing for eventual future contact with their subsurface brethren. Whatever the rumours were, Zarryna's own aim was to live up to the tenets of her teaching and, perhaps when she was finally ready, begin to rescue some of those held within the thrall of the underdark matrons. Their goddess may have long been silenced but their hierarchy was resilient and over the past few centuries the religious component of their rule has been replaced with a slightly more ruthless and closed-fisted matriarchy, ever more paranoid about threats to their rule. Perhaps she should have kept this in mind, though it could never be argued to have been her own fault, but the attack nonetheless finally came one dark night. Scouts were silently taken out and much of the camp was already encircled before the chaff were sent in in waves to wipe them out. Considering their numbers it's almost surprising that they killed as many as they did: wave and wave pressed against the wall of perhaps a dozen or slightly more bladedancers and yet each wave fell to the ground in heaps of littering corpses. The raiding party had a long time to prepare, however, and attrition can be a bitch. One defender was initially overwhelmed, then another, and as each fell the pressure on the remaining few slowly tipped the balance and overcame even the most determined and alert. It was her mentor that saved them, seeing the inevitable and urging them to break for one of rivers running next to the camp that could not be easily cutoff. She wished to stay and help and ignored his advice but he had known that this was likely to be her reaction and as such gave her no choice in the matter. Charging the overseeing matron he cut his way through hordes of lesser drow and slaves, felling even a few of her honoured guard before being struck down by her quartermaster. Yet the delay was enough for Zarryna and a few of the remaining acolytes to leap into the river and make their escape.

They were chased, for how long she could not tell, but their travels eventually took them to an outlying village outside of the stretch of forest that had housed their hidden enclave. Drow were not looked on lightly but the border villages had had some dealings with her particular sect, if only for trading rather than socializing, and so they did not face too much harassment in trying to return to their feet. Zarryna was changed from the assault and this change eventually led her to drift away from her surviving companions. At one point she had wanted redemption for her underdark companions, but now her mind was preoccupied with revenge. Any goal of redeeming her kind was fruitless in her mind if the authority structure which had led to the decimation of her glade was left intact and she was determined to ensure that it crashed and burned around her. A passing adventuring party searched for some wishing to aid in their quest to rout out some bandits and Zarryna jumped on it at her first opportunity. She would continue her training and become stronger before one day descending down into the dark.

Personality:
    Zarryna is quite abrupt and forward. She has little sensibilities in the way of politeness, particularly when she sees someone acting in a way which is liable to get her or her companions hurt or worse. Her training has instilled in her a sense of uncompromising duty to the 'clan' which translates itself into a single-minded determination to see whomever she is travelling with safe in combat. As a result she is typically seen challenging the strongest of opponents to distract attention from the wounded, regardless of considerations for her own safety. In more relaxed settings she remains alert and conversant, if only to learn of other races for any useful insights or traditions which she might appropriate in her own struggle. Idle banter for the sake of nothing else can get on her nerves though she is rarely hostile unless it is distracting them from some important task.

Currently DM Vale of Buried Shadows on this board and am playing in one Maptools game (that starts today).

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    edited June 2010
    Quick question. We start with a level 1 and level 2 magic item, plus 500g, correct?

Could we use that 500g to buy another magic item if we so choose, or do you want to keep us to 2 magic items to start?

ironzerg on
    edited June 2010
    Quick question. We start with a level 1 and level 2 magic item, plus 500g, correct?

Could we use that 500g to buy another magic item if we so choose, or do you want to keep us to 2 magic items to start?

Yes.
    Rius wrote: »
    Hmm... I'm playing in two games right now, and starting at 1st level is so dreary, but the background of this campaign sounds interesting. Are you making inside jokes in reference to Dark Sun? I don't know that setting very well but it certainly seems possible to me =)

I am full of snark, so there may be strange references to all sorts of things here and there.

Also - a campaign where the gods are absent... and everybody suddenly wants to worship them. What a bunch of hipsters you all are.

hippofant on
  • Abysmal LynxAbysmal Lynx Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    And Abysmal Lynx, I assume you're going more of a striker roll with you Fighter?

Maybe a little. Actually the reason I'm going with a battlevigor fighter is I like axes and I want to load up on breath weapon feats, so I thought I would make the most of it and load up on Con. Before I do that I'll probably get a feat our two to make me able to hold the line so to speak.

Abysmal Lynx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2010
    hippofant wrote: »
    Also - a campaign where the gods are absent... and everybody suddenly wants to worship them. What a bunch of hipsters you all are.
    PCs like to be special! Also, it's probably because there is so much focus on the gods being absent and we're interested in exploring this.

I'll submit my atheist deva soon. :?

smeej on
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, everyone jumping on the 'let's worship the gods!' thing makes my concept that little bit less unique, I guess.

Then again, she's not worshipping gods. She just thinks she is. I'll put together at least one more application for a full Striker, I think. Possibly a Controller. With no divine links at all!

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    edited June 2010
    Well my guys created a ramshackle idea of Melora and feed off the decaying divine power of a dead angel-thing. But yeah I'm probably going to pull that submission out.

smeej on
    edited June 2010
    Finnan, Halfing Rogue
    Finnan, Halfing Rogue
    level 1
    Halfling, Rogue
    Build: Brawny Rogue
    Rogue Tactics: Brutal Scoundral
    Roge Weapon Talent
    Sneak Attack
    Background: Geography (Wetlands) (Athletics)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    Str 14 (+2), Con 10, Dex 20 (+5), Int 8 (-1), Wis 10 , Cha 13 (+1).

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    Str 14, Con 10, Dex 18, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 11.

AC: 17 Fort: 13 Reflex: 16 Will: 12
    HP: 12 Surges: 6 Surge Value: 3

TRAINED SKILLS
    Thievery +10, Stealth +10, Acrobatics +10, Bluff +7, Intimidate +7, Perception + 5, Athletics +7

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Arcana -1 , Diplomacy +1, Dungeoneering, Endurance, Heal, History -1, Insight, Nature, Religion-1, Streetwise +1

FEATS
    Level 1: Backstabber

POWERS
    Rogue at-will 1: Piercing Strike
    Rogue at-will 1: Riptose Strike
    Rogue encounter 1: Torterous Strike
    Rogue daily 1: Blinding Barrage

Halfling Encounter: Second Chance

ITEMS
    Leather Armor (Basic Clothing), Vicious Dagger (+1/+1d12 crit), Amulet of Protection (+1), (and 500g which I will spend on adventuring gear, lockpicks, grappling hook, and rope. Whatever is left I'll spend on daggers and possibly a short sword)

Background
    Finnan aka "Finn" the Halfling Rogue

Finnan grew up with his family on the edge of a river by a tall waterfall. His family lived isolated from the rest of the world, after the gods disapeared Finnan's ancestor from the time of gods, Dannad had wisely left the cities before disorder and lawlessness could endanger his family. By the childhood years of Finnan's grandfather, gods had become fairytale characters. Finnan grew up trusting his strength and instincts. His life revolved around growing up, learning to hunt, learnign to swim, and then courting and marrying a halfling girl from one of the families that lived nearby. It wasn't a town, but the halflings knew each other and every year they would gather by the waterfall to dance, sing songs, and tell stories by firelight.

There was most likely some residual magic in the area around the waterfall as through the 200 years since the disapearance of gods there had been no threats to the community. In fact Finnan's father was known as a great warrior because he once hunted and killed an orc who had lost his way. Perhaps it was this story, of a creature from the outside that made Finnan develop wanderlust. And it was this wanderlust that drove him, at the age of 18 to without a word to anyone, to sneak off into the deep dark forest with the rising sun to speed him on his way.

Naturally it took only a short time on the outside before Finnan was in trouble. He was captured by a group of thieves who had set up a "survival of the fittest" government in an abandoned town. Finnan feeling the pull of adventure pleaded to be allowed to join the thief guild. Initally, only allowed to accompany the group since he added to their number and made them seem more threatening, Finnan quickly proved that he had dexterity and strength that surpassed that of most of the other thieves. Finnan rose in rank, defeating his superiors in single combat, refusing to use backhanded tactics on his allies.

Despite an interesting existance as a thief, wanderlust struck again. One morning, a silent form headed west, with the rising sun at his back, Finnan walked easily with a spring in his step and a grin as broad as the sun.

Personality
    Finnan is an open, fun-loving Hobbit, shielded from the horrors of a world without gods, his knowledge of greed and evil have come first hand as he was a member of a theif group. Despite the quite harsh reality that this experiance presented Finnan hasn't changed much. perhaps it is his sub-average intellect that sheltered him from picking up backhanded techniques, this did not stop him from excelling at combat and being a thief, he is quite strong and incredibly fast; and he knows it. Finnan enjoys using his talents, he doesn't feel that taking things is bad. As a child everything already belonged to his family or he could borrow without paying from another family and with the thieves, stealing was just as normal as eating. What Finnan lacks in intelligence, he makes up for in charm. Though not amazingly humerous or handsome, he has that natural halfling charm which has kept him in people's good books.

Finnan is like an innocent, untainted child and sometimes naive. As a result his exceptional combat skills often take enemies and allies by surprise.

Experiance: 1 Real-life game (about 3 sessions before it broke off), A one-shot PbP, and I am currently in a zombie apocalypse game on these boards, not DnD 4e. But I do have a bit of RP experiance from Surreal Twilight.

bratr on
    edited June 2010
    Well, I've just been knocking this character around in my head for a long time, and this presented a chance to play him. If Psionic power had disappeared instead of Divine I would have subb'd this guy anyway.

Alphaboomerang on
    edited June 2010
    Second Submission.

Let me introduce the new and improved Caleb Steelsheen, Human Tactical Warlord.
    Caleb Steelsheen was the prince of Katcholme, a small nation to the south of Tassinor. Life was normal in all ways prior to the Quieting. However, the Quieting brought with it untold evils and horrors across the land. For a while, Katcholme was able to marshal its own forces of footmen, knights and nobles to fight off the early tides of evil. However, the years and years of strife eventually weakened the country, until they could no longer fortify their own lands. Word spread of the small nation of Dalequan, who had someone managed to erect powerful wards and magics to protect itself from the undead that swarmed across the land. Caleb's father, Lord Steelsheen declared a great exodus, where the remaining citizens of Katcholme would flee to Dalequan.

For years, the nation of Katcholme migrate to Dalequan. Moving thousands of people was not easy, nor quick, and the constant hordes of undead and other evils didn't make it any easier. Attack after attack took the lives of many of the remaining soldiers and civilians. In one particularly horrific attack, Lord Steelsheen was killed, leaving Caleb in charge of what was quickly becoming nothing more than a ramble. Eventually, Caleb led the few survivors into the protective wards of Dalequan. With his nation essentially defunct, and everything Caleb cared about destroyed, Caleb quickly lost hope and spends most of his time in the tavern drinking himself to death.

"What? Katcholme. Never heard of it. Are you deaf? Fine. Yes. Prince. Whatever. There's no nation left, there's no Katcholme. Everything was destroyed. The town, the land, nearly every citizen murdered, or worse...the undead. No, I don't want to talk about it. Have you ever left these walls? Didn't think so. Don't you understand. The gods have abandoned us. It's only a matter of time before Dalequan falls, and we're all victims of the horde. I've seen it out there, feeding on what's left of the world. Left. Ha...who am I kidding, there's nothing left. There's no hope here. Now leave me alone. At least I can still spend my last few coins on some thick ale. Maybe if I'm lucky, I won't even feel the undead as they claw into me. Hope? I have no reason to hope...not anymore..."

ironzerg on
  • CyrosCyros Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Hello, new guy here!

Experience Level: I've played a few sessions with my friends, but it lacked any consistency (4 hours away at college). None of us are really great at rules, but we usually have a fun time. So I'm basically looking for extra avenues of play to improve my abilities.

Now presenting:

Diel Elisaad, the Stormborn Half-Elf Storm Sorceror
    (using an out of date character builder and unsure how to add the free variable expertise)

Background
    Diel's mother labored in birth for two whole days. During this time, a storm like none the region had ever seen began and never let up till a screaming half-elf baby with pale blue eyes came into the world. Lightning left the grounds of the village scorched, cascading rain fall flooded the fields, and when it seemed things could not get worse the village was blanketed by a terrible blizzard. (background Omen)

The village elder, an elf of very advanced age and failing eye sight, took a liking to the young lad known around the village as the Stormborn. When not at play with the other children, or attending to his chores Diel could always be found trailing behind the village elder listening to the fantastic tales he told of a time before the Quieting. When Diel's magical abilities began to manifest the elder was there to help Diel find the center in the storm of his swirling powers.

Despite tutelage from the village elder worse and worse accidents still occurred as Diel's power grew in strength. Finally, one day the village awoke to a set of ominous storm clouds to the east. The clouds just sat on the horizon, never moving, but always seeming to be watching the village. With memories and fears of the storm that once nearly razed their entire village the people began clamoring for action regarding Diel. Though some sought to have him sacrificed as appeasement, the village elder simply had him exiled from the village. With a heavy heart, the elder sent him on the way with a few trinkets that had once been his during his adventuring days.

Diel wandered the wilderness for a length of time with no direction of where he was traveling or what he was doing in life, such was the heartbreak from being cast from his village. Then one night he dreamed of one of the village elder's stories about the gods. The gods had wielded fantastical power at their fingertips, and here he was calling forth lightning from his bare hands. Surely if he grow his abilities to their full potential and master them he would know the powers that the gods wielded. This thought has field him with vigor, and now he travels seeking tough adventures to bring forth more of the power of storms from his body.

Appearance
    Diel has fair skin, and stands at an average height with a lanky build. He wears his dark brown at shoulder length, though tends to pull the hair on top and the sides back into a pony tail while letting the rest fall as it may. His face has very sharp features, though most striking of all are his pale blue eyes that almost seem to glow. Recently he has begun wearing a beard to appear older.

Diel can usually be seen flexing his left constantly went idling. Upon closer inspection it appears that his hand has begun to take on lightning scarring that leaves his hand feeling stiff. It is unclear if the scars are from a failed spell or if it's the price being extracted from his body for wielding such power.

Personality
    Since leaving the village Diel has abandoned the calming teachings of the village elder. He feels he has better control of his powers when he goes with the flow of the storm instead of fighting against it, but he does worry at times about losing himself to the storm that rages inside him. This has led to him being brash and impulsive which has worked out for the good and bad for him.

As he delves deeper into the reserves of his power Diel has been known to enter a euphoric state as he revels in the magnitude of his power (he has a very high opinion of the destructive power of storms).

Cyros on
  • adventfallsadventfalls Why would you wish to know? Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Azael Behar, Human Cosmic Sorceress

Background:
    Azael was born to a long line of religious priests and priestesses of Sehanine. Her parents believed that she would be a scion of Sehanine’s power, proof that the gods would return to this world. As Azael grew, she discovered she indeed had power over the moon and the stars... but it was not the divine that gave her such powers, merely the arcane.

She clashed with her parents and the priests as she grew older, until she finally gave up trying to ‘make them see reason’ and left. The night before she left, the head priestess (an aged elven woman) told Azael that she remembered a time when Sehanine spoke to her, but was one day silenced. Azael listened to the story believing it was still an attempt by her mother to ‘believe’.

Despite the argument over the source of her powers, one thing was certain as she left the clergy- she was gifted. Her gifts it seems, have called her to the Archmage’s Citadel...

Appearance:
    If there was one thing Azael learned from her parents, it was modesty. She often hides herself (much to the dismay of the men) under a blue cloak and dark cloths. The cloak is, to her dismay, decorated with symbols of the goddess she once served.

113195.jpg

Personality:
    Azael never had much tolerance for what she perceived to be her parents’ ‘great folly’, and has very little patience for those that try and force their beliefs upon others. She has never seen people truly believe from a sense of devotion, merely one of duty. As such, she would likely find those who truly are divinely inspired unusual.

Often she ridicules those who she perceives as ‘blind to the truth’, but is kind enough not to voice said opinions. She prefers to talk her way out of a situation, trying to lie her way through her opponent’s logic.

I am currently playing in a MapTools game and a PbP (Curse of the Crimson Throne).

adventfalls on
    NintendoID: AdventFalls 3DS Code: 3454-0237-6080
    edited June 2010
    Well, okay, if you want us to differentiate, here's one who doesn't give a goose about gods.

Balayel Hal'Turath, Tiefling Swordmage.

Background:
    Balayel (call him Bal, everyone does) Hal'Turath comes from a coincidental coupling. That is to say, his dad (a mercenary) and his mom (a naive young sorceress) conceived Bal when his father was just passing through town, attached to some warlord or another. This genetic cocktail of martial skill and arcane prowess produced Bal, who was raised as a wizard but never could quite put away that sword he acquired from some merchant or other. He could also never quite put away his penchant for fiery destruction, gravitating towards spells that set things aflame. Now, after coming of age, Bal has combined his two natural pastimes into (hopefully) a living.

Personality:
    Bal's personality can be likened more to an ember, rather than a crackling hearthfire. Appearing for the most part to be somewhat devoid of emotion, Bal is merely quiet, holding his opinions to himself until he is sure of the outcome. However, when fire becomes involved, Bal positively glows with excitement, ever eager to light things up.

Appearance:
    tiefling_warlord.jpg

Alphaboomerang on