As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Finding jobs overseas

1ddqd1ddqd Registered User regular
edited June 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So my girlfriend and I have been talking about overseas living and first/foremost, of course, would be researching what jobs exist where we go; we've narrowed it down to 3 distinct country/areas: UK, Australia, or Canada - I'm sure you can guess why (hint: has to do with languages).

In any case, what's the best way to go about finding a job outside the country? I'm in Dallas, TX and my skill set is mostly technology centric (all job experience is computer based, whether it's fixing/supporting, or using it as a job tool - analyst, research, etc). I currently make $40k a year - something comparable overseas would be awesome

1ddqd on

• Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    First question: do you have a college degree, or ten years of verifyable experience in your field?

In order to get a work visa in most countries, you're going to need one of those. The degree doesn't need to be in your field, though.

baudattitude on
  • Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Approach the recruitment agencies. They'll have policies regarding overseas applicants. The reality might be that if you're not in a niche area, they may tell you to see them when you arrive in the country.

So advice would be:

a) Make sure you know EXACTLY what you're eligible to do, visa-wise.
    b) Internet job sites.
    c) Call some agencies in these countries - or email them.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Australia or Canada are your best bets. They'll take almost anyone educated and English speaking. The UK, on the other hand, is a lot more like the US in immigration requirements. Not to say it's impossible, though.

adytum on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I have a degree in Advertising and a growing (read: small) portfolio of freelanced items - mostly small business work, everything from menus to pamphlets and flyers.

My field, currently, is rather specialized. I have about 2-3 years of experience as a dialer admin (not robo-callers, mind, but for companies who need to collect debts). I'm just getting started, and I could say I have close to 5 years experience (2 years PC support, 2-3 years dialer admin) for work.

How do I find a reputable job agency in another country though? Is there a monster.com equivalent for the UK, or Australia?

1ddqd on
  • Options
    burntheladleburntheladle Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Before you start looking for a job, you want to look at visa requirements. I know Australia has been tightening ours up, I'm not sure about Canada. Have you considered New Zealand?

burntheladle on
    What would Zombie Pirate LeChuck Do?
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm applying for jobs in Japan from overseas. I hit up a lot of forums and follow up on leads, but I also call and find out who the in charge are and I email them a proposal (in my case, my design portfolio). I'm often met with positive feedback, but the Visa requirements are a GIANT hinderance.

I've gone so far as physically going to interviews, but only to be told that they've gone with X candidate because he has work permits. Work permits are the single most dificult obstacle to beat. If you can find someone who will sponsor you, TAKE IT!

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Roger that - I definitely want to stay a US citizen for now (expatriate tax breaks yay!) but I have an in for work permits in each of these countries anyways. Thanks for the heads up!

1ddqd on
  • Options
    GophermasterGophermaster Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/assess/index.asp
    This is the self assessment calculator to see if you even qualify for a visa to work in Canada. The rules are similar in other commonwealth countries.

Gophermaster on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Great, thanks - that's where I'll start, I suppose

1ddqd on
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    if you're coming to a city like sydney, finding temp work won't be too hard. that'll at least tide you over until you've had chance for a couple of field-specific interviews.

if you've got technical experience and the role is anything more than an entry-level desk jockey you'll be paid more than $40k a year in australia

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg