As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DnD 4e PBP] God is dead. (Lorrum (un)Death March!)

• hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Well, okay, if you want us to differentiate, here's one who doesn't give a goose about gods.

Haha. No, I don't mind. I'm just saying.... I bet if I made a campaign without dragons, you'd all roll dragonborn too :P Submit the character you'd like to play! I'm sure I'll... I dunno... choose... somehow...

Cyros, under the feats window, right above the list of your feats there should be a little house icon with a star in it. Click that and you get a free houseruled feat. If you don't have Versatile Expertise as a feat option, just take 2 Weapon/Implement Expertises instead.

hippofant on
  • AlphaboomerangAlphaboomerang Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    hippofant wrote: »
    Well, okay, if you want us to differentiate, here's one who doesn't give a goose about gods.

Haha. No, I don't mind. I'm just saying.... I bet if I made a campaign without dragons, you'd all roll dragonborn too :P Submit the character you'd like to play! I'm sure I'll... I dunno... choose... somehow...

Ahaha, I think thats just a dnd players nature. Or not, maybe everyone just... wanted to be divine. And also, talking about how the GODS ARE TEH DEADS just put Gods in my heads, so it influenced me towards that power source.

And, I want to play BOTH of my characters. Bal wasn't a replacement for Paldus, just another option. Paldus has the fun funn roleplaying times, and Bal has the fun funnnn firecheese times.

Alphaboomerang on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Well, I was going to submit a Paladin-Starlock hybrid who I'd had made for a while, but it seems that someone already beat me to posting one. :P Well, let me submit him anyway - will edit info in in a moment.

EDIT:

Gregor, Human Paladin-Warlock (Star Pact) Hybrid

Quick background:
    Like all the world, Gregor knows that the Gods are gone. But Gregor knows who has silenced them. For some time now, the people of his village have been known for the ability of their star seers. The stars will answer any question, if they are asked correctly, but too often the price is steep indeed - and the truth is not always welcome. But the seers have trained their minds to accept that which would drive others insane, and they pass a modicum of their knowledge onto their disciples. Gregor is one such devotee, having been blessed since an early age to hear the faint whispers of the Void.

Now his village sends their strongest and brightest out into the world to spread the truth: The stars will re-make this world, and all must prepare. Gregor will spread his message of salvation with his devotion, his knowledge, and if need be, his blade.

Description:
    Gregor is an imposing sight, standing six feet tall and clad in plate armor covered with engraved blessings and prophecies, written in the esoteric sigils used by the seers. Perhaps more unsettling is how he always smiles, even when striking down those who do not heed his warnings that the stars will not let him die.

D&D experience:
    I've played 4e since it was released, and have been running games of it occasionally for about a year. Also, I know more about building hybrid characters than anyone else at the local game store.

DarkPrimus on
  • CyrosCyros Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Cyros, under the feats window, right above the list of your feats there should be a little house icon with a star in it. Click that and you get a free houseruled feat. If you don't have Versatile Expertise as a feat option, just take 2 Weapon/Implement Expertises instead.

Thank ye kindly good sir.

Cyros on
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Brennos, Half-elf Warlock.

Background-ish
    Born to a small, dying tribal community on the edge of Dalequan, and raised in the ways of a dying people, Brennos is his peoples last hope. He is the last of Tectosage druids. And he has bound himself to powerful allies.

His Patron
    Brennos, in an effort to gain power, and carve a place to live for his people, has made a pact with the fey Bel. A large, almost mindless creature, Bel travels the Feywild, devouring all that does not belong. But it is a losing battle. Brennos, since childhood, has dreamed of Bel, of riding on Bel's shoulders and traveling the feywild. And as he got older, the dreams turned more dark. Dreams of Bel dying, bogged down by the taint he worked so tirelessly to scour from his realm.

And then Medb appeared. She told Brennos that it could be fixed. Bel could be saved. The feywild itself could be saved. His people would have a place to live. And she would step into the vacuum those cruel gods had left. All Brennos needed to do was complete a simple ritual, linking his soul and Bels. And then he would travel the mundane realm, killing all the nameless beasts and horros. Their souls, cleansed by death, would feed Bel, bolster his strength. And the fey would be saved.

Description.
    Brennos has kept himself to the traditional ways of his people, painting his body with wards so ancient that no one remembers their true meaning. His clothing is utilitarian, the only decoration being a golden torc around his neck. He keeps his bright red hair cropped short, and his face clean-shaven.

As for experience, I have been in a couple 4e PbP's, and a few IRL homebrew games.

Brody on
    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    For as long as there have been gods, there have been crazies who insisted that the gods would soon die, leaving the world a barren desert wasteland ruled by anarchy and tyranny, where psionics is plentiful and magic corrupting, with giant sentient insects and cannibalistic halflings...

Hmm...

... and cannibalistic halflings...

Hmm...

HalflingBarbarian.jpg

Rius on
    edited June 2010
    Do you have any objection with the Eberron background "Talenta Plains" for a Halfling Barbarian? It gives access to the Talenta Weapon Training feat, without which I'd never consider making one. The background itself is styled just like the General ones; i.e. no crazy benefits.

Rius on
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    For your consideration: Baern Ironskull, Dwarf Fighter

Character Stuff:
    ====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
    Baern Ironskull, level 1
    Dwarf, Fighter
    Fighter: Combat Superiority
    Fighter Talents: One-handed Weapon Talent
    Background: Occupation - Military (+2 to Athletics)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    Str 18, Con 15, Dex 12, Int 8, Wis 13, Cha 10.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    Str 18, Con 13, Dex 12, Int 8, Wis 11, Cha 10.

AC: 20 Fort: 17 Reflex: 14 Will: 12
    HP: 30 Surges: 11 Surge Value: 7

TRAINED SKILLS
    Streetwise +5, Intimidate +5, Athletics +9

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Acrobatics -1, Arcana -1, Bluff, Diplomacy, Dungeoneering +3, Endurance +2, Heal +1, History -1, Insight +1, Nature +1, Perception +1, Religion -1, Stealth -1, Thievery -1

FEATS
    Level 1: Dwarven Weapon Training
    Feat User Choice: Weapon Expertise (Hammer)

POWERS
    Fighter at-will 1: Shield Feint
    Fighter at-will 1: Cleave
    Fighter encounter 1: Steel Serpent Strike
    Fighter daily 1: Lasting Threat

ITEMS
    Dwarven Thrower Craghammer +1, Amulet of Protection +1, Heavy Shield, Magic Scale Armor +1, Potion of Healing (heroic tier) (2)

Since Fighters don't have implements, I just took Weapon Expertise. The craghammer is my level 2 magic item, the amulet is my level 1 magic item, and I bought the armor using the 500 gp.
    ====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======
    Background, etc:
    Baern looks like your typical dwarf: short, stocky, and muscle-bound. His hair is short-cropped and charcoal black; his beard is the same black, long and braided. His eyes are a dark, dark blue. He wears armor of overlapping scales, made of a strange metal with a dark grey sheen. He carries a half-circle shield and a hammer the size of a Halfling.

Baern is a mountain dwarf, born and raised. And I don't mean the mountains, I mean The Mountains. These mountains have foothills the size of the mountains you're used to. This land is old; old enough that the dark holds things the light was not meant to see, and that the distinction between real and not real is a very fine line indeed.

The dwarfs that live deep in these mountains are incredibly tough; if they were not, they would have been wiped out by any of the myriad of beings (magical or otherwise) that have tried to kill them. When Baern was only 14 and first starting to study as a warrior, a troll, enraged by the dwarfs' digging charged through the mineshaft in which he and the other apprentices were practicing. Without a second thought, Baern picked up the nearest hammer and shield and charged the troll, managing to hold it off long enough for more experienced dwarfs to arrive and dispatch it.

He continued fighting trolls, and monsters far worse than trolls, for a decade, helping to defend his mountain home. However, a little over 10 years after the day he first picked up weapon and shield, a being of unimaginable power, devouring the light and dwelling in the shadows, rose up beneath the mountain, and Baern's clan was forced to abandon its ancestral home. Finding nowhere to settle in a world plagued by bandits, abominations, and all manner of hazard, the Ironskull dwarfs made their way to Dalequan, the only remaining safehold. While there, Baern heard that the Archmage had put out a call for warriors to retaliate and begin taking back the world; swearing vengeance against the shadowy monstrosity that stole his home from him, Baern traveled to the Citadel to present himself to the Archmage...
    Orokos sheet: http://4e.orokos.com/sheets/1430

EDIT: Forgot this originally. I've played in 3 4e games in real life, 4 PBP 4e games (all of which the DMs eventually abandoned), and am currently working on a 4e Dark Sun game I plan to run in the fall.

3cl1ps3 on
    edited June 2010
    Rius wrote: »
    Do you have any objection with the Eberron background "Talenta Plains" for a Halfling Barbarian? It gives access to the Talenta Weapon Training feat, without which I'd never consider making one. The background itself is styled just like the General ones; i.e. no crazy benefits.

Uh sorry for the late response, but ... what exactly is the point of the Talenta Weapon Training feat? Because the Talenta weapons are small?

hippofant on
    edited June 2010

Uh sorry for the late response, but ... what exactly is the point of the Talenta Weapon Training feat? Because the Talenta weapons are small?

Essentially, yeah. Without access to the Talenta weapons, the best a Small Barbarian could use is a longsword. The Talenta Sharrash is roughly equivalent to that but also has high crit. That, plus the feat's damage bonus, helps ease the pain of not having a racial bonus to Strength and not having d12 weapons.

Rius on
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Essentially, yeah. Without access to the Talenta weapons, the best a Small Barbarian could use is a longsword. The Talenta Sharrash is roughly equivalent to that but also has high crit. That, plus the feat's damage bonus, helps ease the pain of not having a racial bonus to Strength and not having d12 weapons.

Craghammer/Waraxe? 1d10 Brutal 2 and 1d12, respectively. Just taking the necessary weapon proficiencies and use them Versatile.

3cl1ps3 on
    edited June 2010
    Go ahead and take it, but I'd prefer if you didn't try to eat your party mates. :P

hippofant on
    edited June 2010
    Question: are we allowed to combine the 500gp with a level 2 magic item's worth of gold to get a level 4 magic item instead of the level 2? I have another idea for a character, but it really only works with a Sunblade, which is level 4; totally willing to give up the extra gold to get it.

3cl1ps3 on
    edited June 2010
    I'd prefer you not, but if you really can't wait for me to drop a Sunblade for you because your character build adamantly demands it from the start, then sure.

hippofant on
    edited June 2010
    I'd prefer you not, but if you really can't wait for me to drop a Sunblade for you because your character build adamantly demands it from the start, then sure.

Nah, not that huge a deal, just a theme thing. It could wait, so no worries. Posting him up soon.

3cl1ps3 on
    edited June 2010
    Hmm. Changed my mind on the second character. I was going to make an Avenger who was an Angel who had remained behind when the gods diseappeared, but I decided I'd rather play a normal person instead.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Abysmal LynxAbysmal Lynx Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Squints wrote: »
    My character sheet has been updated with faked verastile feats.

I should probably do that too.

Abysmal Lynx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2010
    3clipse wrote: »
    Hmm. Changed my mind on the second character. I was going to make an Avenger who was an Angel who had remained behind when the gods diseappeared, but I decided I'd rather play a normal person instead.

Well of course. You wouldn't want the other party members to make fun of you for being "special".

I've compiled a list of the current submissions in the first post if y'all care. I don't know why I did it. I've just seen other recruitment threads do it, and I'm a sheeple.

hippofant on
  • bratrbratr Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I see your divine powers and raise you Mikal the Human Wizard

He uses fire and doesn't get the Burning Blizzard Feat cause I want Flaming sphere. A level 3 wand would be really nice too :winky:

Background to come its late right now.

bratr on
    edited June 2010
    I should point out that my Paladin/Starlock doesn't need a silly Level 3 Pact Blade, because his holy symbol (in the shape of his chosen star) can operate as an implement for both his paladin and warlock implement powers, as per hybrid rules. ;-)

DarkPrimus on
  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Reeeeeeally? I thought they had to use valid implements for both.

This changes eeeeeverything. I shall edit! Though a pact-blade really fits the backstory as written. Hrm.

Odd. It lets me use a Holy Symbol +1 as the implement for any Paladin or Warlock powers, but it only lets me use the Pact Blade for my Warlock powers. I guess because Pact Blades are special enchantments that allow something to be used as an implement for Warlock powers?

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
    edited June 2010
    Kay wrote: »
    Odd. It lets me use a Holy Symbol +1 as the implement for any Paladin or Warlock powers, but it only lets me use the Pact Blade for my Warlock powers. I guess because Pact Blades are special enchantments that allow something to be used as an implement for Warlock powers?

Yeah. Like with the Holy Avenger that functions as an implement for Paladin powers - you couldn't use it with the Warlock abilities.

Now, if you were, say, a Warlock/Sorcerer, you could take a Pact Blade dagger and it'd be okay - but you could use any dagger and be okay anyway, so why bother?

Shit like that's more for characters who would prefer to have just a weapon and implement rather than worrying about leveling up both of them.

DarkPrimus on
    edited June 2010
    I need to look into the rules behind drawing and sheathing weapons, then. My original plan was a Pact Blade, and just to use Paladin Weapon powers, and the whole 'sword as a symbol of faith' thing worked pretty well. I could reflavour the background to use a Holy Symbol in the shape of a star, and have a generic magical sword (and possibly a Longsword instead), I guess. The pact blade still sounds like the better symbol of her faith though, given the background.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    edited June 2010
    As long as you don't take any Paladin powers with the Implement keyword, the Pact Blade will do you just fine. And there are certainly plenty of Paladin powers with the weapon keyword to choose from.

I intend my Paladin/Starlock hybrid to make use of implement powers from both classes, so going with a holy symbol is really the only way for me. I suppose I could use a wand in the off-hand, but a shield is preferable.

DarkPrimus on
  • WoogityWoogity Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Cutter MK.01Warforged, Barbarian

Background
    Rumors are spreading from the East. Tales of an Iron Man shrouded in steam at his core a cracked gem leaking primal energies into the air around him. In actuality this "Iron Man" is the result of a defect in the cutter series of Warforged soldiers, the control crystal used at his core housed a primal spirit still in its infancy. After the Quieting, with the gods absent primal spirits among other forces grew to fill the power vacuum, and the crystal bound spirit rapidly matured. In the span of 200 years the spirit grew from infancy to adolescence, a maturation that would normally take an eon. This rapid growth broke the crystal in which the spirit was incubating releasing its power and taking control of the Warforged host to which it was bound. This accelerated maturation process was, however, not without side effects.

The new Cutter is highly unstable and must constantly meditate and attempt to avoid emotion to prevent himself from being overcome by his primal nature. He prefers to speak in short responses and has an extremely hard time relating to others on an emotional level. When this meditative block fails to contain his over-welling emotions The Mk.01 breaks out in maniacal laughter and quite literally lets off steam, as his core temperature rises the well documented faulty exhaust system on the Cutter series emits a high pitched scream and bellows forth a super heated steam. His movements become erratic and he begins to dart wildly crushing anyone who pushed him over the edge.

Personality and appearance
    RF_Online_-_Original.jpg
    Cutter is one ragged machine. His frame has seen many years and is little more than a jumbled mess of parts from different Warforged models. The glowing green gem at his heart, and the occasional discharge of steam from his faulty exhaust system are his most distinguishing features. ( yes I have posted this image on these forums for characters before, but seriously what is cooler for a war forged barb with a halbred?)

Usually calm and collected if not a bit strained. Cutter's constant inner struggle to contain the overwhelming power of the spirit within often leads to curt or short spoken responses to others if not complete neglect. Some confuse this directness with rudeness, and only those who know him well understand that his strain is for their own befit, something quickly learned by those who provoke him to "unwind". Cutter is fiercely loyal, a feature of his construct past he seeks companionship which he defends with all the ferocity he can muster, and once labeled as one of his friends or allies, Cutter would think nothing of charging an adult dragon bare handed and hopeless to protect you.

I have a ridiculous defender build I want to try out as well that would fit this world very well as well I will post him when I get the chance. Also, ive played in 2 pbps and a rl game, and i will be dming a rl game starting next month.

Woogity on
    Rad Anvilspit hp 23/29 surge value 7 surges 1/10 17:ac 16:fort 12: ref 13: will

Henry Teach, human cutthroat

the game assassino_O
    edited June 2010
    That was pretty much what I was thinking - sword and shield for the archetypical 'paladin' look, stick to Weapon powers from Paladin, and make the sword a Pact Blade. It'll limit my effectiveness with weapon-based attacks as a Striker, but as most of my damage will come from Warlock powers backed up by the Curse... yeah. I can only use the Warlock Curse damage with Warlock Powers, as I read it, but as the Paladin's Divine Challenge is sustained by being adjacent, or attacking, I figured I could mark something, slap it with Dire Radiance for 2d6+Con+Enchant at range, and make it come to me (taking more damage), or hit someone else and suffer the mark effects. Pity that the Paladin mark enforcement isn't that strong, and the Hybrid version is even weaker.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I need to look into the rules behind drawing and sheathing weapons, then.

Drawing & Sheathing a Weapon are Minor Actions. You can take the Quick Draw feat to get:
    Prerequisite: Dex 13
    Benefit: You can draw a weapon (or an object, such as a potion, stored in a belt pouch, a bandolier, or a similar container) as part of the same action used to attack with the weapon or use the object.
    You also gain a +2 feat bonus to initiative checks.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    edited June 2010
    Looks like I should stick with the Pact Blade, then. Lyssa's somewhat clumsy.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    edited June 2010
    Pity that the Paladin mark enforcement isn't that strong, and the Hybrid version is even weaker.

I think Mighty Challenge would probably be a feat tax for this build which could be hard at low lvl with limited feats, could probably pull it off with a human tho if you took your other feat to get pally armor prof. otherwise you would be pretty screwed if anyone caught up to ya.

Woogity on

the game assassino_O
    edited June 2010
    That was pretty much what I was thinking - sword and shield for the archetypical 'paladin' look, stick to Weapon powers from Paladin, and make the sword a Pact Blade. It'll limit my effectiveness with weapon-based attacks as a Striker, but as most of my damage will come from Warlock powers backed up by the Curse... yeah. I can only use the Warlock Curse damage with Warlock Powers, as I read it, but as the Paladin's Divine Challenge is sustained by being adjacent, or attacking, I figured I could mark something, slap it with Dire Radiance for 2d6+Con+Enchant at range, and make it come to me (taking more damage), or hit someone else and suffer the mark effects. Pity that the Paladin mark enforcement isn't that strong, and the Hybrid version is even weaker.

That's why my Level 1 feat choice is Crimson Legionnaire, which gives me a +2 bonus to damage rolls with paladin powers against creatures under my Warlock's Curse. Of course, my character is a human, so I could get Hybrid Talent and Crimson Legionnaire at Level 1.

Otherwise, if you wanted your Divine Challenge to have a bit more sticking power, you could take some of those points in Con and put them in Str, and at Level 2 take Mighty Challenge to add your Strength mod in radiant damage to the damage dealt by Divine Challenge.

Either of those feats would be a good choice for you at Level 2. Of course, I think my Paladin/Starlock is meant to play slightly different than yours, at least after a few levels. I've got Gregor planned out all the way to Epic, because when I'm bored I build D&D characters. :P

DarkPrimus on
    edited June 2010
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I've got Gregor planned out all the way to Epic, because when I'm bored I build D&D characters. :P

guilty of doing this as well, strange that there are so many pallylocks in this game, what role would you be looking for for one of these? like ranged striker kite build? or ranged defender? i think the latter is a pretty dangerous build to play with.

Woogity on

the game assassino_O
    edited June 2010
    Woogity wrote: »
    I've got Gregor planned out all the way to Epic, because when I'm bored I build D&D characters. :P

guilty of doing this as well, strange that there are so many pallylocks in this game, what role would you be looking for for one of these? like ranged striker kite build? or ranged defender? i think the latter is a pretty dangerous build to play with.

Oh, he's definitely designed to be a striker. He sticks his divine challenge and warlock's curse on a target and stays on them until they're dead. At higher level, he's got some powers to pull the next enemy to him (or to teleport directly to them) and has some more defender-ish powers, but he's designed to pick a target and kill them quickly.

DarkPrimus on
    edited June 2010
    thats a nice build for striker, like the bonus dmg from warlocks curse on lock powers then run out of range and bleed em with Divine Challenge, pretty clever sirs. Isnt the bonus from the mark moot tho if the defender is attempting to control the mob too?

Woogity on

the game assassino_O
    edited June 2010
    Woogity wrote: »
    thats a nice build for striker, like the bonus dmg from warlocks curse on lock powers then run out of range and bleed em with Divine Challenge, pretty clever sirs. Isnt the bonus from the mark moot tho if the defender is attempting to control the mob too?

Level 2 feat selection is Crimson Fire, which means that an enemy with both my Divine Challenge and Warlock's Curse on them takes d10s for Curse damage instead of d6s.

DarkPrimus on
    edited June 2010
    That's why my Level 1 feat choice is Crimson Legionnaire, which gives me a +2 bonus to damage rolls with paladin powers against creatures under my Warlock's Curse. Of course, my character is a human, so I could get Hybrid Talent and Crimson Legionnaire at Level 1.

Otherwise, if you wanted your Divine Challenge to have a bit more sticking power, you could take some of those points in Con and put them in Str, and at Level 2 take Mighty Challenge to add your Strength mod in radiant damage to the damage dealt by Divine Challenge.

Either of those feats would be a good choice for you at Level 2. Of course, I think my Paladin/Starlock is meant to play slightly different than yours, at least after a few levels. I've got Gregor planned out all the way to Epic, because when I'm bored I build D&D characters. :P

Crimson Legionnaire? Looks like I need to read that article in Dragon 381, if it's half as cool as the Star Pact Warlock article (which was part of the inspiration for Lyssa), it'll be worth it. Unfortunately, at the moment Crimson Legionnaire isn't that useful to me, as Lyssa only has one Paladin power - Enfeebling Strike. I figured with a Shortsword, she'd be better off relying on Warlock powers, or powers that didn't use Weapon damage. Of course, going with a Pact Blade means that I won't be able to do that so easily with implement powers for her Paladin side, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Crimson Fire, however, is definitely a feat to take. Given that her stable damage source is a combination of Dire Radiance and marking the opponent to entice them to chase her, that die-size bump would be awesome.

Might end up going with a +1 Challenge Seeking Longsword, and a Holy Symbol of some sort (but I can't find any that work, other than a generic one) as a rod or wand doesn't really work as she's meant to be a Paladin, but using a holy symbol for Warlock powers works really well.

Putting points from Con into Strength isn't going to help out, as most all of her Warlock powers are Con-based. Guess the build idea I chose spreads the stats a little thinly. Though if I drop Con and Cha to 16 each, I can buff Int and Wisdom (or strength) to 14 for some decent riders. Really do need to think on it some more, but I'm definitely happy with her backstory, and I guess that counts for more than the build.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    edited June 2010
    You aren't required to go with Dire Radiance if you pick Star Pact as a Hybrid, you know. In fact, in Arcane Power they have a sidebar that basically says "We're sorry we made it seem like if you picked a particular pact in PHB1 you were pretty much stuck with powers listed as (X Pact). We haven't labeled any of the new powers like that, and will just provide extra benefits if you select it and have the pertinent pact."

But hey, you are trying to do something different than me. I'd be interested in seeing what Lyssa was like at Level 12, compared to how Gregor comes out.

DarkPrimus on
    edited June 2010
    *begins taking notes*

Cyros on
    edited June 2010
    You aren't required to go with Dire Radiance if you pick Star Pact as a Hybrid, you know. In fact, in Arcane Power they have a sidebar that basically says "We're sorry we made it seem like if you picked a particular pact in PHB1 you were pretty much stuck with powers listed as (X Pact). We haven't labeled any of the new powers like that, and will just provide extra benefits if you select it and have the pertinent pact."

But I want to! Dire Radiance may not be the best Warlock at-will out there, but it really suits the character idea, and it definitely suits the way I wanted to play her. Dire Radiance + mark + curse = potential 3d6+10 damage if they approach me to attack, and if I'm between them and the rest of my party and it needs to melee attack... it either sucks up extra damage or hangs back and does nothing. If it then attacks someone else, it takes another 4 damage and has a penalty to hit. It's not the core of the build idea, but it's a neat defender/striker combo tactic that could be neat.
    But hey, you are trying to do something different than me. I'd be interested in seeing what Lyssa was like at Level 12, compared to how Gregor comes out.

You know, with the ideas I've had, I might just go build her up to 12 and see what happens. I actually overhauled the sheet pretty drastically just now, as I realised that having a magical weapon and a magical holy symbol is fine - holy symbols just need to be worn, you don't need to wield them to get the effect. And it makes -more- sense for her to have a holy symbol thrown at her from her 'gods' than a pact-blade sword, in some ways. I mean, either work, but this way I don't need to mess around with a level 3 item that I technically can't have.

Also, though the sheet doesn't show it, the holy symbol is an Astral holy symbol. I won't get the additional benefit (+2 range +2 damage with Radiant powers) until I take the superior implement feat at 2 or 4, but in the meantime I can use it as a standard implement. Hope that's okay, hippofant. It doesn't show up on the Orokos sheet as an Astral Holy Symbol, though. But if you check the tooltip on the power roll, it definitely says it's an Astral symbol there.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    edited June 2010
    Also, though the sheet doesn't show it, the holy symbol is an Astral holy symbol. I won't get the additional benefit (+2 range +2 damage with Radiant powers) until I take the superior implement feat at 2 or 4, but in the meantime I can use it as a standard implement. Hope that's okay, hippofant. It doesn't show up on the Orokos sheet as an Astral Holy Symbol, though. But if you check the tooltip on the power roll, it definitely says it's an Astral symbol there.

Uh yeah. In fact, if at any point anybody wants to take a Superior Weapon/Implement feat, they can just take it and pretend their weapon/implement was superior in the first place and they just didn't know how to use it right. I'm not fussy about that.

hippofant on
    edited June 2010
    I see the name Gregor and I can't help but think Gregor Clegane, the Mountain That Rides.

Cyros on