As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Learning Spanish - allí vs. allá

Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts.Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I took five years of Spanish in junior high / high school and then dropped it. Now, many years later, I'm picking it back up again using Rosetta Stone. I'm confused though as what the software seems to indicate for usage of allí vs. allá is contrary to what I remember and what I currently seem to be finding in a cursory search on the interwebs.

Rosetta gives several examples of "allá" where the object is within sight and being pointed to. So far the only example of "allí" is a phone conversation where a woman is telling a friend that she'll be there (allí) at her party (presumably some distance away).

This is the reverse of what I remember learning in high school, but that was a long time ago. I thought "allí" meant "over there, that thing I'm pointing to" and "allá" meant "over there, in another place".

Set me straight?

Drake Chambers on

• Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Well, to me they are totally interchangable. I use both to refer to the same thing... kinda like saying "there" and "over there".

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    FantasmaFantasma Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    In normal conversation people would not pay too much attention to distance differences, however, you could just say allí for something close to you, and allá for an object or a place far from where you are.

Fantasma on
    Hear my warnings, unbelievers. We have raised altars in this land so that we may sacrifice you to our gods. There is no hope in opposing the inevitable. Put down your arms, unbelievers, and bow before the forces of Chaos!
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I always learned it like allí was across the room and allá was across the field.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    And, just like in English, no one really cares too much unless they're really pedantic about things like that. At least, that's how my Spanish teacher explained it. It's necessary to know for tests, but once you start walking around Mexico or Spain it becomes way less of an issue.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    No. Meaning the difference is negligible and while speaking it it's unlikely anyone's to know or care. But the difference has already been posted.

When speaking English can you tell the difference between, "The book is there." or "The book is over there."? You probably won't pick it up, or care, at least most people won't and don't. In Spanish it has a bit of a different connotation, but in that example, it's hardly going to make any difference in how they respond or react.

But you are the type of person who would make a big deal about that, so there's hardly any point in continuing this conversation. Meanwhile I'll go to Spain and be able to converse fairly fluently while someone else struggles with a response because they don't know or can't remember if they should be using there or over there and holy shit my face asplode because oh my god they may flip me a bird. All the while holding their head screaming about the voices in their head and wondering what's happening to them.

Did I get that all? Are we good? Yeah?

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm Mexican and I approve of what bowen says.

Heck, even I don't exactly understand the difference between allí and allá. Right now I'd say that allí is something that's close to who you're speaking.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Well that's how it's always been explained. For words that are similar to each other in meaning, don't worry too much about their intended meaning. Even some verb conjugations get thrown out the window as long as you get the right verb. Ser and Estar is another example of this.

bowen on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    That's exactly right.

But no, it won't matter, and no, no one will care except if you run into adytum in Spain and you ask him where the museum is and he says "there."

bowen on
  • Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hooray! I'm being helped and people are fighting about it. :D

Your answers seem to support what I've learned -- both in terms of which word means what and the fact that it's generally not that big a deal. So thanks!

Now I'm just a bit confused as to why Rosetta Stone would have it backwards.

Drake Chambers on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    adytum wrote: »
    So obviously you shouldn't try to learn or understand the language, and be content to sound like a gibbering idiot.

Ignoring these words won't make you sound like a gibbering idiot. Look:

José: ¿Dónde está el queso?
    Manuel: Está allá *points across the room*

José: ¿Dónde está el queso?
    Manuel: Está allí *points across the room*

The message is the same, as any native Spanish speaker will tell you. There is, infact, a degree of difference... but remember that languages are living things spoken by imperfect humans: they change, they live, they die. Rules change, trends come and go.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I guess my Spanish teacher wasn't crazy after all if everyone but adytum thinks this.

You know, her being from Puerto Rico and all. It's not like this is some from gym teacher that knows Spanish or something.

bowen on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I was in the middle of posting something but MagicToaster got it. Spanish if funny that way, especially with certain grammar "rules" being ignored or changed.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Arikado wrote: »
    I was in the middle of posting something but MagicToaster got it. Spanish if funny that way, especially with certain grammar "rules" being ignored or changed.

That's kind of all languages.

Mildly related: Trying to get a translation for "My dog took a shit on the lawn" from English into Spanish is amusing.

Chanus on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    You'll probably get "my dog is.." a lot with online translators.

bowen on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    The first attempt usually conjures an imagine of a dog carrying a shit onto the lawn.

Chanus on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Chanus wrote: »
    Mildly related: Trying to get a translation for "My dog took a shit on the lawn" from English into Spanish is amusing.

I don't find it amusing: "Mi perro se cagó en la grama". It doesn't even sound funny.

Fantasma on
    Hear my warnings, unbelievers. We have raised altars in this land so that we may sacrifice you to our gods. There is no hope in opposing the inevitable. Put down your arms, unbelievers, and bow before the forces of Chaos!
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    The problem is, "shit" isn't in past tense. You can see this when you do, "My god has pooped on the lawn." Try again with "My dog has shitted on the lawn" and you'll get it to translate properly back into English.

I don't know if that second translation is correct, but it seems to think so.

bowen on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Nevermind, I guess?

The humor is in translating the idiomatic expression "took a shit".

Chanus on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    No I was agreeing, it is pretty funny.

bowen on
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If this helps, in French, "ici" means "here" and "là" means "there". alli...alla...

Could be a connection. I could be out of my mind. Obviously there are a lot of similarities between the romance languages.

Esh on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Esh wrote: »
    If this helps, in French, "ici" means "here" and "là" means "there". alli...alla...

Could be a connection. I could be out of my mind. Obviously there are a lot of similarities between the romance languages.

Well, "allí" and "allá" are both words for "there". "Aquí" and "acá" are words for "here". Though, there is a similarity there with "ici" and "aquí".

Chanus on
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It's called space deixis. In English, examples would be "here" and "there" and "this" and "that". "This" is used for objects closer to you, whereas you'd use "that" for objects which are further away. English speakers often don't adhere to this rule, however, and this seems to be the same case with "alli" and "alla".

Platy on
  • Options
    garroad_rangarroad_ran Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    As a fluent Spanish speaker since birth and for 25 years + I can tell you I never knew there was a difference between the two.

But I'm sure that's largely dialect based, since "allì" is really just one of those words I use when imitating other Spanish accents.

garroad_ran on
  • Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    As a fluent Spanish speaker since birth and for 25 years + I can tell you I never knew there was a difference between the two.

But I'm sure that's largely dialect based, since "allì" is really just one of those words I use when imitating other Spanish accents.

That reminds me of a question that occurred to me the other day. I had switched to a Spanish language version of Harry Potter and wondered: are the voiceover actors speaking Spanish with British accents?

Drake Chambers on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    It's called space deixis. In English, examples would be "here" and "there" and "this" and "that". "This" is used for objects closer to you, whereas you'd use "that" for objects which are further away. English speakers often don't adhere to this rule, however, and this seems to be the same case with "alli" and "alla".

I wouldn't exactly say its the same. "Here" and "there" have Spanish equivalents. "Here" would be "Aquí", "There" would be "Allí" or "Allá", which are the words in discussion.

Allí and Allá only translate into "There" in English. English is somewhat ambigeous when it comes to adverbs, it doesn't get into specific details, as Spanish often tends to do.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    As I tried to explain before, the key difference is in the distance, time and space, of what you are referring to, they helps us to point out the location of an object, place or person.

Allí indicates a middle point; allá is the furthest place in relation to my position.

e.g.

You are sitting in the courtyard with a friend and you say the following:

Aquí en el patio está fresco, allá en la sala hace calor = Here in the courtyard is cool,
    there in the room is hot.

Now, imagine yourself a teacher, close to the board, you notice two students arguing, you then call them and say the following to separate them:

Alex, siéntate allí, Mario siéntate allá = Alex, sit there, Mario, sit over there.

I hope this helps.

Fantasma on
  • Options
    Eggplant WizardEggplant Wizard Little Rock, ARRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Esh wrote: »

My experience (practical, not book) in French is that no one ever uses ici/voici/ceci. You pretty much always use là/voila/cela(ça). The only time you hear the "ci" forms is if you're discussing two different things and the speaker wants to specifically draw your attention to the thing that's nearer.

Eggplant Wizard on
    Hello
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    Heck, even I don't exactly understand the difference between allí and allá. Right now I'd say that allí is something that's close to who you're speaking.
    This is how I learned it. Stuff near you, stuff near the person you're talking to, and stuff not near either of you.

Yar on