Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

This is a now Crusader Kings Thread [OP Updated re: CK2]

Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my worldAustin, TXRegistered User regular
edited November 2010 in Games and Technology
Saw this over on Rockpapershotgun. Apparently Johan from Paradox has said if 25,000 people "Like" the Crusader Kings page on Facebook, they'll announce Crusader Kings 2. I think this is just a stunt and they fully intend to announce it anyway. Last I checked it was at 1,276, but it's only been up a few days.

So, yay? I love Crusader Kings and have been hoping for a sequel for years. Anyone heard anything else?

If you're not familiar with the series, Crusader Kings is a strategy game, similar to Total War without the real time combat. It plays in real time, but the gameplay centers around the strategic map and not tactical battles. Dynasties and feudalism are a big part of the game, which is a big part of why I love it. There's also an expansion called Deus Vult that adds a bunch of stuff relating to the crusades. It's pretty moddable. It's pretty easy to put yourself in the game and rule your own dynasty (I always start as the Count of York).

So anyway, this is now a general Crusader Kings thread, so talk about whatever.
Crusader_Kings_Coverart.png

Here's what Wikipedia has to say:
Crusader Kings is a grand strategy game made by Paradox Interactive about the period from December 26 1066 until December 30 1452. It was released in 2004. Unlike other past Paradox titles (Hearts of Iron, Victoria and the Europa Universalis series), Crusader Kings focuses on building a dynasty instead of a country, having similarities to role-playing games and even The Sims. The lead game programmer was Johan Andersson. As with the other Paradox Interactive history games, Crusader Kings must be considered a macro-management real-time strategy game (as moves are played out simultaneously and continuously) but typically involves far more planning than the fast-paced action that is usually associated with real-time strategy.

While the game has historically accurate scenarios to start from, featuring interesting personages such as William the Conqueror, Robert Guiscard, Alexius Comnenus, El Cid, Friedrich Barbarossa and Edward III, a significant part of the game's charm is that from that point on, a new alternate history always starts building. Unlike past Paradox titles, there are very few predetermined historical events and no predetermined historical personages that would always appear after game start. Twists to the story are created by simulating the lives of tens of thousands of individuals of note (courtiers and nobles), intermarrying, having children, moving, inheriting, plotting, accumulating wealth and titles etc. Each is at birth assigned a number of inherited scores ('DNA') that determine health and fertility as well as administrative and military capabilities and the characters will, through the course of their lives, usually add a few noninherited traits that alter the scores. The qualifications and relations of individuals will highly influence their fate and is therefore of great interest to their player. This all makes for highly unpredictable game dynamics as the state of affairs on the 'world stage' is the product of the interplay of myriad events on the micro level.

There's an expansion, Deus Vult. Get it. Here's what it does. There's also a Beta Patch for DV. Oh, and some mods, like the Deus Vult Improvement Pack.

Here's a very helpful post from the forums (thanks spiderj24).

There's also some good info on Page 3 of this very thread.

Curious what the province improvements do or require? Check this spreadsheet out.

Oh, and the best Let's Play ever.

Still not sure what the hell you're doing? Read this very informative post by President Rex:
Basic information on game stuff and rudimentary tutorial!
Spoiler:

Paradox has finally officially announced the sequel:

http://www.paradoxplaza.com/press/2010/8/crusader-kings-ii-announced

image003.jpg

Sir Carcass on
camo_sig2.png

• RebootReboot Registered User
    edited June 2010
    Oh CK2 may be a reality? Awesome. There are so many things they can improve! Inheritance rules, heraldry, finer reputation control, claims, crusdaing mechanics, events, etc etc.

In my current game I started in Ireland and I've just forged a union of the Six Celtic nations. It's been quite a while since a game caught my attention for so long. :D

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Seriously, why'd you summon me? Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
  • OtsegoOtsego Registered User
    edited June 2010
    Crusader Kings is the best Paradox game and they should make a sequel even if this "like" thing fails.

mastersword.jpg
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Reboot wrote: »
    Oh CK2 may be a reality? Awesome. There are so many things they can improve! Inheritance rules, heraldry, finer reputation control, claims, crusdaing mechanics, events, etc etc.

In my current game I started in Ireland and I've just forged a union of the Six Celtic nations. It's been quite a while since a game caught my attention for so long. :D

I can never help but play it the same way. I always create myself as the Count of York, invade Wales and take it over, then wait for my chance to capture Lincoln or Leicester and name myself Duke of York. After that, I just wait for William to give me a reason for war with England (doesn't usually take long), after which I start in on Scotland and finally Ireland. Once I have the United Kingdom, I go for France.
    Otsego wrote: »
    Crusader Kings is the best Paradox game and they should make a sequel even if this "like" thing fails.

Yeah, like I said I feel they're making it anyway, that this is just a way to drum up interest, but from what I understand it's one of their more popular games. It's the only one from them I've been able to really get into, so I hope this becomes a thing.

camo_sig2.png
  • Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Oh yes, please! New Crusader Kings would be awesome!
    Crusader Kings is the best Paradox game.

steam_sig.png
    edited July 2010
    They're giving out titles to the first 4000 FB accounts that "liked" CK. They just gave out 5 boxed sets, and will be giving out 1 copy of CK Complete every day to a random "liker".

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I prefer EU for reasons of I hate having my empire collapse. Best I ever did was 20 different Kingships. :P

Starting from one of the Greek provinces, took Syria (very, very slowly) and then used the unit from Damascus to get most of the Holy Land, then used those to take Alexandria which was then used to swallow up the Byzantines when they got a realm duress and from there things got easy. Good times!

Lose: to suffer defeat, to misplace (Ex: "I hope I don't lose the match." "Did you lose your phone again?")
    Loose: about to slip, to release (Ex: "That knot is loose." "Loose arrows.")
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    They're giving out titles to the first 4000 FB accounts that "liked" CK. They just gave out 5 boxed sets, and will be giving out 1 copy of CK Complete every day to a random "liker".

Wow, that's pretty awesome. Facebook is good for something after all.

camo_sig2.png
    edited July 2010

Er I think it's Every Month... I can't access FB now to check

• MindLibMindLib Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This game looks amazing. (CK1) So why the fuck haven't I heard of it before?

• CheezyCheezy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Paradox titles are for enlightened masochists, which is a niche market that is not well represented in the gaming media.

• GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User
    edited July 2010
    MindLib wrote: »

You might be interested in an LP of the game, that spans several generations and a couple Kingdoms. Sadly, however, it never finished because the guy's save gets destroyed in a harddrive disaster.

Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
    edited July 2010

You might be interested in an LP of the game, that spans several generations and a couple Kingdoms. Sadly, however, it never finished because the guy's save gets destroyed in a harddrive disaster.

Fuck that, you want this one: nine centuries, four games, almost two years of real time, 120 updates...

Lose: to suffer defeat, to misplace (Ex: "I hope I don't lose the match." "Did you lose your phone again?")
    edited July 2010
    Cheezy wrote: »
    Paradox titles are for enlightened masochists, which is a niche market that is not well represented in the gaming media.

It's true.

I think what appeals to me the most is that CK is basically Medieval: Total War with more focus on the nobles and politics than the battles. This game was meant to create yourself and go nuts, which thankfully is easy to do. I really hope CK2 goes more in depth with personal interactions.

camo_sig2.png
    edited July 2010

Er I think it's Every Month... I can't access FB now to check

"Starting July 1st, we'll randomly pick one lucky winner each day to receive a digital copy of Crusader Kings: Complete. Today - I will pick 5 people from the first 4,000 to receive a boxed copy (rarity in some territories) of the same. Keep your eyes peeled!"

camo_sig2.png
  • Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So, while looking at the forum for this I also noticed that victoria 2 is coming out.

!

I'm all for more paradox games, I never really could get into EU3, though, so we'll see. Favorites were EU2 and Victoria, but CK was great.

edited July 2010

Fuck that, you want this one: nine centuries, four games, almost two years of real time, 120 updates...

I've been reading this today and it's pretty awesome. It's really making me want to start a new game (I always have it installed since it's fairly small).

camo_sig2.png
  • NineNine Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Those are both good but as a byzantinophile this one is my favorite. The mechanics of CK can really create some compelling narratives if you roleplay a little bit.

• Commander 598Commander 598 Registered User
    edited July 2010
    Will this one enable you to play/convert to a Pagan without some crappy editing workaround or will it just be the same Christian/Muslim only bullshit present in every vaguely similar game?

edited July 2010
    I think you're pretty much limited to Catholic or Orthodox. There are Muslims and Pagans in the game, but they're only for the conquerings.

Edit: Well, there is this: http://editthis.info/CrusaderKings/Muslims,_Jews_and_Pagans_now_playable! Haven't tried it, so I can't comment on its quality.

camo_sig2.png
  • rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Crusader Kings is in desperate need of a remake, the UI was horrible. If this is true then YAY!

• TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Because of this thread, I stayed up until 10 AM playing Crusader Kings. At 6 or so, my kingdom bugged and whenever it dropped into negative gold it reverted to 0 next turn.

AND THE BLOODLETTING BEGAN

edited July 2010
    Huh, you got tagged as an AI somehow?

• NineNine Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Huh, you got tagged as an AI somehow?

It happens when you change titles. Saving and reloading fixes it.

edited July 2010
    Yeah, I think I remember advice that if you ever jump a level (Count->Duke or Duke->King) that you should save and reload or bad things can happen.

camo_sig2.png
  • spiderj24spiderj24 Registered User
    edited July 2010
    I'm a big fan of EU but somehow Crusader Kings had slipped by me. And, by God, I want it now. In fact, I have it now.

Can anyone vouch for any mods to play with? Are there any you'd say are worth installing from the outset?

edited July 2010
    I wish the events were just a little bit smarter. For example, this is the third time I've had to turn down a request by my Spymaster. He's a sneaky son of a bitch, but this ploy seems a little blatant for him. A bastard, he keeps asking me for help to kill his half brother.

I'm the half brother.

• GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User
    edited July 2010
    Maybe you should consider replacing him... And eliminating him.

Eventually he's gonna ask someone else, if he hasn't already.

Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
    edited July 2010
    Maybe you should consider replacing him... And eliminating him.

Eventually he's gonna ask someone else, if he hasn't already.

It'll stop being a concern soon. I think it's only coming up because he's a bastard in my court and the game doesn't realize he's from my family, and my prestige has swollen from all my title creation such that he'll be rock-solid loyal in a year or two. And if I die, that's fine. I'm waiting for its sweet embrace so I can declare war on a bunch of assholes my former sovereign forged truces with on my behalf just after I became ruler.

edited July 2010
    spiderj24 wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of EU but somehow Crusader Kings had slipped by me. And, by God, I want it now. In fact, I have it now.

Can anyone vouch for any mods to play with? Are there any you'd say are worth installing from the outset?

Install Crusader Kings
    Install Deus Vult
    Install the Deus Vult beta 2.1 patch
    Install the Deus Vult Improvement Pack mod
    Install any of the addons listed there you want
    Have fun!

There's also an alternate start mod I haven't used. I think there's even a mod to merge the two. The game is very easy to mod yourself, though, especially for creating yourself or other people.

camo_sig2.png
    edited July 2010
    Thanks. I have already put hours into the game. It's threatening to consume my entire weekend.

Absolutely brilliant.

It makes me want to do the export file to Europa Universalis. Really is grand strategy.

I'm reading through the Hohenzollern let's play that was posted in this thread - it suggests that a save file can be exported and carried through EU and then into Victoria, and then into Hearts of Iron.

That's what it suggests. If the suggestion is accurate, my free time for the forseeable future is gone.

edited July 2010
    spiderj24 wrote: »
    I'm reading through the Hohenzollern let's play that was posted in this thread - it suggests that a save file can be exported and carried through EU and then into Victoria, and then into Hearts of Iron.

That's what it suggests. If the suggestion is accurate, my free time for the forseeable future is gone.

That is indeed what you can do. There's even a patch to export to EU3 instead of EU2, but I don't know if you can then go to Victoria or not.

And if you don't install any other mods, at least make sure you install the beta patch. It fixes a lot of nasty bugs.

camo_sig2.png
    edited July 2010
    I actually went with the alternate start mod, after reading about it and the DVIP mod. I patched it before I'd read your post and then spent many hours playing away.

I'll go through a couple of games with this and then a couple with DVIP. And then on into EU2! I've never actually played Victoria or Hearts of Iron but I am so impressed by the scope of the four interconnecting. What really impresses me with Crusader Kings is that it's remarkably user friendly considering how much is going on. I'm sure there are lots of things I'm missing but I don't feel overwhelmed.

Here's an odd thing; does anyone else ever wish they could just run a simulation on a game like this? With no player input - just setting up scenarios and watching alternate histories unfold? I find myself as interested in the simulation model and the AI as I am with actually playing the game - it becomes about narratives unfolding rather than trying to 'win'.

In my current game I am the heretic Duke of Sardinia, growing old and increasingly hated by the world around me. I'm already plotting my reconciliation with the church once an heir takes over without all the pesky heretical baggage that has built up around his father.

• LeinnaLeinna Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Wow, I was meaning to go to bed two hours ago but I've been enjoying the LP of Swabia too much!

What mods are needed to carry over save games from CK -> EU2/3 -> Vic -> HOI II/III?

edited July 2010
    Leinna wrote: »
    What mods are needed to carry over save games from CK -> EU2/3 -> Vic -> HOI II/III?

As far as I know, none. I think it's just a feature built into the games. I haven't actually done it myself, though.

camo_sig2.png
    edited July 2010
    So I've been playing CK for the last couple days and I keep running into a problem. I can't "create titles". It says "can add this title right now!" but it's still blanked out. Is it a bug? What gives?

edited July 2010
    So I've been playing CK for the last couple days and I keep running into a problem. I can't "create titles". It says "can add this title right now!" but it's still blanked out. Is it a bug? What gives?

Do you have the cash money to create it?

edited July 2010

How much money is required, it doesn't say anything about that?

Edit: In fact it says that I will RECEIVE 100 gold if I create it.
    Edit: NM, haven't had the ole coffee yet. Heh Heh
    Edit: Holy ba-jesus! Why did all the prestige costs sky rocket after that!? Is that normal? 600 for a little count spot now? Was 90 before I created the title.

edited July 2010
    The EU3 -> Victoria converter is a fanmade thing that sometimes doesn't work entirely properly, which is obnoxious.

For the Hohenzollern thing, there was a LOT of hand done modding involved. Which is especially clear when you get to the later sections of EU3 and then Victoria makes it really clear, as there are new technologies and tons of new events.

edited July 2010

How much money is required, it doesn't say anything about that?

Edit: In fact it says that I will RECEIVE 100 gold if I create it.
    Edit: NM, haven't had the ole coffee yet. Heh Heh
    Edit: Holy ba-jesus! Why did all the prestige costs sky rocket after that!? Is that normal? 600 for a little count spot now? Was 90 before I created the title.

Perhaps I said did you have the prestige to create it.

It's hard to say, what with causality being sort of a mess due to the looming Mayan apocalypse.