As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Slipstreaming service packs into install discs for XP.

ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
Its been a while since i've slip streamed so I want to get this cleared up before i do anything

The only XP CD I can find is my original release pre-SP1 disk.

I want to make a XP install disk with SP3, like I did with SP2 [which I can not find]

Can I slipstream SP3 right into my original pre-sp 1 XP disk, or am I going to have to download SP1 and SP2 and sequentially build it up to get all the fixes on it?

Buttcleft on

• General_WinGeneral_Win Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yes you can.
    Download nLite

Download SP3

The program is super easy to use. At the end of the whole process it will prompt you to create an ISO.

Enjoy.

If you have any other questions I pretty much do this kind a shit for work, we don't use nLite because its not for corporations but I've played with it enough.

I pretty sure you can also slip stream your SATA drivers so you don't have to press F6 during the install from the CD.

General_Win on
    tf2_sig.png
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I know how to slipstream, I just couldn't remember if I just needed to slipstream the latest service pack, or if i had to do it sequentially.

Thanks

Buttcleft on
    edited July 2010
    Pft.

General_Win on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hold on a moment, XP SP3 needs either SP1 or SP2 installed first. It's not a complete installer like SP2 was.

Dark Shroud on
  • VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    that's not true, the service packs are cumulative

VoodooV on
    edited July 2010
    Maybe you're all right, I just have sp2 cds laying around.

General_Win on
    tf2_sig.png
  • RBachRBach Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    IIRC, if you're installing SP3 on XP you need SP1 or 2 installed, but it's slipstream-able into any XP disc. Why there's a difference I have no idea.

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ok, so you can physically slipstream SP3 into an install disk

but unless you are slipstreaming it into a SP2 disk, it wont work, because apparently it does something to the authentication that makes it reject every legit key you enter during install.

It may not even work in SP2, General Win said thats how he deployed SP3 by slipstreaming into SP2 disks when I talked to him yesterday, so thats that

Buttcleft on
  • RBachRBach Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I have never had that issue before, and I've built quite a few XP install discs. Try it and see if it works for you before giving up.

Alternatively, Microsoft (used to?) distributes an XP SP3 ISO. It might only be available through MSDN and Technet now, though...

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2010
    RBach wrote: »
    I have never had that issue before, and I've built quite a few XP install discs. Try it and see if it works for you before giving up.

Alternatively, Microsoft (used to?) distributes an XP SP3 ISO. It might only be available through MSDN and Technet now, though...

Also certain XP license keys are attached to certain media. For example, if you try and use an old SP1 Key on a new SP3 cd, it probably wouldn't work.

It may work if you slipstream it up to SP3 though. Again, I only have experience with SP2->SP3.

General_Win on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I slip streamed SP3 into an old pre-SP1 disc and had no issues installing Windows and using my license key.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png